Tracking BACA02

Live Tracking: General Comments; Tracking TERF01; Tracking TERF05;
JudyB
Admin

Tracking BACA02

Post by JudyB » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:04 pm

BACA02 is an adult male captured on the 11 February 2018 at Vancouver landfill, about 20kms east of Vancouver as the eagle flies. He was banded by Myles Lamont and David Hancock has a blue auxiliary marker N over 2 on its left leg.
BACA02.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Re: Tracking BACA02

Post by JudyB » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:05 pm

Shortly after being tagged, BACA02 headed North, arriving in the southern part of Alaska (the Inside Passage) in mid March and reporting back from various spots in that general area until late July.
20190226_BACA02a.jpg

We hoped that he had just traveled somewhere without cell tower reception, because his tracker uses cell towers to check in. But we worried a bit.

And as the months went by and we didn't hear from him, we worried a bit more - but hoped for the best.

JudyB
Admin

Re: Tracking BACA02

Post by JudyB » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:05 pm

And today, when I checked my Animal Tracker phone app, there were 6 eagles in the general area where they had all been tagged; yesterday there were only 5. And the new eagle on the scene was BACA02!
20190226_BACA02d.jpg

(The one in the gray circle went down to the Oregon border last year at this time, and that's probably where he's headed now - and unfortunately the tracking units we used last year weren't configured to work with US cell towers, so we won't know where he's been until he gets back.)

Here's BACA02's path:
20190226_BACA02b.jpg

He hasn't uploaded the data from his trip south yet - that's why it appears as a straight line on the map above. And maybe he never will. His tracker is supposed to last for at least a few years, but I'm not sure that diving into the ocean off the coast of Alaska was one of the tests for the trackers.

When I looked at his activity for the last 2 weeks, this is all I got - he was somewhere in Vancouver, and headed north, a bit inland from Sechelt.
20190226_BACA02c.jpg

I'm hoping he stays where there are lots of cell towers for a while, and downloads a bit more of his story.

But for now - I'm happy he's back! :love:

Return to “Live Tracking - Comments”