BETA04/LOKI

Live Tracking: General Comments; BETA04/Loki; Tracking TERF01; Tracking TERF05;
gemini
Admin

BETA04/LOKI

Post by gemini » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:00 am

This topic is for tracking and recording the travels of our 2020 Surrey Reserve Eaglet Loki - also identified as BETA04.

Loki
Loki.jpg

The map opens in Satellite view which shows the terrain but you can click the "Map" button at the top left corner to switch to Map view which shows place names as well:
Map8.jpg
Map8.jpg (60.18 KiB) Viewed 207 times

A Few Viewing Hints

~ To move the map use two fingers or click and hold the left mouse button
~ To zoom in or out click the +/- until it is the size you want
~ To view where Loki was on a specific day click the little calendar (top center of the map) to enlarge and click on the date you want.

**For those of you with a cell phone - Loki's data is up on the free Animal Tracker app! If there's enough interest, further information will be posted.

JudyB
Admin

Re: BETA04/LOKI

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:16 am

Loki's Fledge and Mishap

Loki Fledges

This is Loki, just before she fledged on June 28:
Loki just before fledge.jpg

:vid:Loki fledges!

:vid: Loki Fledges in SloMo

Loki's Mishap

As many of you know, her initial flights were great - but on July 1, I think she tried to land on a power line, and ended up upside down and dangling - and happily her human neighbors called OWL, and they caught her when she came down, and brought her to their facility in Delta, to make sure she had no serious injuries.

She had a small black mark on one foot - possibly a burn from the power line - It will be another week before they can give Loki a clean bill of health, but we are hopeful. And - Loki has been moved to a flight cage with a buddy - which is great news because it means Loki will be able to do the grabbing and mantling s/he would do on the nest, and which is great practice for life in the wild.

Loki5.jpg

Loki6.jpg

:vid: Loki practicing her flying at OWL

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:17 am

Loki's Mishap Cont'd.....

Happily after two weeks they did not see any additional injuries. (I'm using she/her because they weighed Loki, and her weight suggests she's female.)

And if all continues to go well, tomorrow morning she will be returned to the area around the nest, where she can continue with her life. We have no clue if she will return to the nest - but if she does, we will know her by the blue band with silver letters (D over 3) on one of her legs and a silver coloured band on the other (I'll let you know the numbers when she's released - we don't have them yet).

She may also have a little solar panel on her back, which will power a tracker hidden in her back feathers, so we know where she goes in the next few months.

Loki Receiving her Bands and Tracker

(click 2x for larger pictures)
Loki1.jpg

loki2.jpg

Loki3.jpg

Loki4.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:17 am

Loki's Release

Loki was released by OWL (Orphaned Wildlife Rehabilitation Society) at Peace Arch Park, not too far from her nest area, Friday, July 16, 4:40 pm.

1 Loki.jpg
1 Loki.jpg (28.23 KiB) Viewed 217 times

4 Loki.jpg
4 Loki.jpg (148.98 KiB) Viewed 217 times

5 Loki.jpg

:vid: Loki's flight to freedom!

David Hancock followed her, and found her in a bramble patch - and encouraged her to get out of there - and when he left yesterday evening, Loki was up in a tree not that far from where she was released.

David's report:

"In the end Loki was released. He had a great flight around the park, headed down 170th Ave and then further down 170 into a blackberry patch. I got him out and thought he went down again in more blackberries 200m but after an hour I realized he had flown back down 170th in opposite direction, landed on lawn, then to roof and then to tree. Once I saw him up 60+ feet I was happy and left.

I did not see him there this AM or PM -- lets hope his explorations take him north shortly."

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:50 pm

reserved

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:50 pm

reserved

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:52 pm

Re: Surrey Reserve 2019-2020 Observation and Discussion
Post by JudyB » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:44 pm

Good afternoon, everyone!....

....Today's exciting news is about Loki - she has called home to tell us where she is - and wow, was she ready to travel!

We are hoping to have her tracking map up on our website soon - this is from a sneak peek at the work in progress (big thanks to David Hathaway!). I think the map is giving an overview, sort of where she is each day, with straight lines between the locations - and this is where she spent the first couple of days after she was released. I think the line starts in Delta because that's where the tracker was put on - and I'm very sure that the good folks from OWL did not drive across Boundary Bay to get to Peace Arch Park where she was released; the park is roughly where the green dot is, above the B in Blaine, Washington.
Map 1.jpg

She stayed in that general area until at least some time on Sunday (or maybe early Monday) - and may have followed the coast and other eagles out towards White Rock. The map lets you click a little calendar icon and then click a date to see where she was at some point that day, which is what I did here - the green dot is out on the west side of White Rock.
Map 2.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:59 pm

Post by JudyB » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:08 pm

Look where she was on Monday! (clicks a lot bigger)
Map 3.jpg

And the most recent data I've seen has her all the way up to Bella Coola today (also clicks bigger).
Map 4.jpg

I was a bit fuzzy about the distances involved, so I checked - the direct path from Surrey to Bella Coola is 448 kilometers, or 279 miles). That is a long flight for a young eagle - and it looks as if she did most of it on Monday - wow!

PS - David Hancock said he thinks there are early salmon spawning places up there - I'm hoping we'll get more information from him about that soon as well.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:21 pm

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:40 pm

...No new news from Loki - I think she may be uploading data once a day if she's near a cell tower, and I'm thinking the area where she is has more mountains than cell towers, so she may skip a day or two from time to time. Here are two views of the area, one in map view and the other in satellite view.
map5.jpg

map6.jpg

And this is zoomed in a little further, showing that she's checking out the Bella Coola River.
map7.jpg

I found a website about fishing on the Bella Coola River - https://bellacoola.ca/activities/fresh-water-fishing/ - and they say "Chinook salmon run mid-May to mid-July, Coho salmon in September and October, Chum salmon in late July and Pink salmon in late July & August."

This makes me think that Loki may be in a very good place for a young eagle. :love:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:30 pm

Post by JudyB » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:45 am

We have an update from Loki - it looks as if she's exploring the Bella Coola River, and finding perches and places to feast on the spawned out salmon. :love:
map7a.jpg
map7a.jpg (42.89 KiB) Viewed 178 times

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:22 pm

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:44 am

Good morning, everyone!

It looks as if Loki has moved a bit further down the river - probably after seeing other eagles there.
Map8.jpg
Map8.jpg (60.18 KiB) Viewed 195 times

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:53 pm

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:38 am

10:35 am
I took a look at Loki's map (https://hancockwildlife.org/our-project ... ge/beta04/) - and she's on the move! The latest update put her just north of the town of Bella Coola! (Off topic trivia - last year's eaglets at our Delta 2 nest were named Bella and Coola - and I wonder if they went there last year - and if they're back there again.)
Map9.jpg

Here's a wider view - there are lots of islands and inlets in the direction Loki is heading.
Map10.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:03 pm

Post by JudyB » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:26 pm

Here's the latest on Loki's travels:
Map11.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:11 pm

Post by JudyB » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:28 pm

Good afternoon, everyone!

Loki continues to explore the area around Bella Coola:
Map12.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:23 pm

Post by JudyB » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:25 pm

2:10 pm
Good afternoon, everyone!

Here's an update from Loki:
Map13.jpg

And a closer look:
Map14.jpg

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:30 pm

Thank you Judy for posting Loki's travels; looks like she is quite adventurous and has explored both sides of the Bella Coola River. Hope she is finding lots of salmon :love:
AKA: Marianne

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:48 pm

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:55 am

Good morning, everyone!

Here's Loki's update from yesterday (I think the map is updated once a day, on those days when Loki is near a cell tower):
Map15.jpg

The map is fun to explore - link is https://hancockwildlife.org/our-project ... ge/beta04/ - and if you go there you can see that Loki's journey up to the right was following a smaller river (and I suspect Loki was following other eagles when she went to check it out). I generally use Map view because her color is easier to see - but Satellite view shows the terrain as well.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:51 pm

Fri July 31, 2020 3:30 pm
Also posted in Surrey Reserve 2019-2020 Observation and Discussion

Here's Loki's map for today:
20200731_010.jpg
Kitcat11848 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:30 pm
Thank you Judy for posting Loki's travels; looks like she is quite adventurous and has explored both sides of the Bella Coola River. Hope she is finding lots of salmon :love:
Thanks for stopping by, Marianne - definitely interesting to see her check out different areas around Bella Coola.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:02 am

Sunday, August 2, 2020

It looks as if Loki didn't upload data yesterday - which is very common when an eagle is on the move - and which can happen in an area where they usually signal if they are behind a hill or out of range when the tracker checks for a connection.

These pictures are all from the 31st - different ways of looking at the area.

This is Satellite View, which shows that some of the areas that look like water in the map view may be marshy or tidal.
20200801_002.jpg

This is from the Animal Tracker app on my phone - and it shows Loki in a slightly different place; the time stamp is probably accurate - but the catch is that I'm not sure what time zone it is. It might be local time where Loki is - or local time where my phone is - or standardized to Greenwich Mean time.
20200801_004_Loki.jpg

And this is a look at the wider area around Bella Coola where Loki might be exploring - you can see that there are lots of river valleys - and a lot of areas that may not have good cell phone coverage. This is Map View with the Terrain box checked - and I put a red circle around Bella Coola because Loki's track doesn't show up that well here.
20200801_003.jpg

If you go to the map (link), you can toggle Terrain on and off - the map's a lot easier to read when it's off.

Aigle Armour

Post by Aigle Armour » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:49 pm

Hi Judy,

It's been a week since Loki has checked in. Any info from Hancock as to why? Thanks.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:34 pm

Hi Aigle Armour,

I asked David this morning for his thoughts, and he said "My hope is that she has gone north -- into the great vacant part of the BC coast. Lets be optimistic."

And that is my hope as well - and I think the odds are in our favor. An east coast fledgling I was watching a few years ago spent several weeks in the wilderness of Quebec before posting - and I'm hoping for that.

I also think this is one of the first of a new batch of trackers HWF is using - so there's a chance it might fail.

And I really don't want to consider the option that something bad might have happened to Loki - I know it's possible, but she was such a strong young eagle, and we so enjoyed watching her growing up - so hopefully she'll start posting again soon, and if not, I'm going with the possibility that the tracker failed. :love:

Aigle Armour

Post by Aigle Armour » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:27 am

Thanks, Judy. I think all is well, too. I am glad to hear the different scenarios that might be going on. Hopefully we'll see a check in at some point if the transmitter is still working. If something happened to Loki, you'd think the transmitter would be transmitting in one spot and that does not seem to be the case, which furthers my belief that all is ok. :luck: :rh:

Best,
AA

Return to “Live Tracking - Comments”