Home - Comments

General Comments Welcome Here
gemini
Admin

Home - Comments

Post by gemini » Mon May 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Post general comments about the 'HWF Website' here.

marg
Content Provider

Re: Home - Comments

Post by marg » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:17 pm

I have to often "sign in" again on the site this is very annoying! Anyone else having trouble? I remember Bev was having trouble a while ago.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:12 pm

Yes, I've had to sign in again once in awhile, but it doesn't happen very often :)
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:52 am

Because the relationship between this forum and our primary website https://hancockwildlife.org/ can be confusing to newcomers (and even to some of us who have been around a while), I will mention that this discussion involves signing in to the forum so you can comment on the articles on the website (using the links in this section), and on the activities at a number of wildlife cams around the world.

Whenever I reboot my modem, my internet provider gives me a new IP address - and I believe I would need to sign in again if that happened, because I think the "cookies" the forum software uses to know who I am are linked to my IP address and to the device I sign in with. I occasionally need to sign in when I haven't rebooted my modem - so I think the internet provider may reset it occasionally.

Charlie has been doing a lot of renovations at his family farm - and we need to know the IP address there to contact the security system cams remotely - and I think the address there changes at least once a week. We don't reboot anything, but it's in a rural location, so may have little blips that we don't notice, but that are enough to trigger a reset of the IP address.

You can see the IP addresses you've signed in from by going to the User Control Panel (click on your name in the upper right corner for the link), and then click the Profile tab at the top, and then the "Manage 'Remember Me" login keys" link on the left.

If you occasionally check the forum with your phone or a tablet or a laptop or your spouse's computer, you may see the same IP address several times - one for each device. You can find out what your IP address is by googling "what's my ip" - it's a bunch of numbers separated by periods. :)

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:36 am

Thanks JudyB.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:03 pm

Yes, thanks for your info JudyB. I do remember that whenever I opened the old forum on my iPad, I would have to log in again. Then would have to log in again on my computer. So what you have explained certainly makes sense :thumlft:
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:44 pm

I believe that the current software lets you stay logged in on more than one device, though I don't know if there's a time limit (we had to log in at least once a month on the old forum).

Journi
Topic Assistant

Post by Journi » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:25 am

Hello! I was looking around the Hancock website this morning and was checking out the SWFEC page.

I clicked this link on this page to see what would come up...
not secure 2.JPG
and this "warning" page showed up:
not secure.JPG
I hope this is the correct area to post this...
Just thought I'd post my findings so this can be checked out.
Thanks, Journi

Also, when I post scaps my scaps are blurrying (like these 2 that I just posted). What can be causing this and how can I get my scaps in focus. :chin:
Click to enlarge s'caps
Beautiful Harriet is my avatar ~ HW Member since 2015
Celebrating E14's short but beautiful life while here on Earth in Season 8 - SWFEC
(Please avoid rodenticides to control pests!)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:46 am

Journi wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:25 am
Hello! I was looking around the Hancock website this morning and was checking out the SWFEC page.

I clicked this link on this page to see what would come up...
not secure 2.JPG
and this "warning" page showed up:
not secure.JPG

I hope this is the correct area to post this...
Just thought I'd post my findings so this can be checked out.
Thanks, Journi

Also, when I post scaps my scaps are blurrying (like these 2 that I just posted). What can be causing this and how can I get my scaps in focus. :chin:
Hi Journi! This is indeed the right place to ask questions about how the website works, and thanks for letting us know the link isn't working correctly.

The reason you got the warning is that the SWFEC website hasn't jumped through the hoops to become a "secure" website, so its URL starts with http - but we accidentally put https at the front of the URL, indicating it's a secure site when it is not. The error messages don't explain that terribly well, but having checked the code on our pages, that's the problem. Initially secure websites (with a URL starting https) were mostly for banks or places where you entered credit card info or things like that - but as we all became more security conscious, more websites switched from http to https - which HWF did in the move to the new website and forum earlier this year. I'm guessing that either we were all being careful to use https for forum/website URLs - or we ran a replace to change all http links to https and accidentally included a few that should have remained http.

I have now corrected the code behind the link, and it should now work properly without any error messages.

And if you notice anything in the text on the page that isn't accurate, please let me know - and please remind me when it needs to be updated - and we probably should add "last seen" dates for this year's chicks, since I'm sure they've left the area by now. :love:

As to your images, if you click them to full size they are clear, but text doesn't seem to scale very well - and the gray that was chosen as the primary text color for the website seems to get a bit fuzzier than black, though it may be easier to read (we chose a colored background for the forum to make it less stark - the website designers took another approach).

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention - and for checking out our website!

Journi
Topic Assistant

Post by Journi » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:29 pm

Thank you Judy for getting right back to me about my questions - I really appreciate that!
I thought I'd just take some time, while the SWFEC season is over, to get to know my way around the new forum layout better!

Hope you are having a good summer! :windy: ~Journi
Click to enlarge s'caps
Beautiful Harriet is my avatar ~ HW Member since 2015
Celebrating E14's short but beautiful life while here on Earth in Season 8 - SWFEC
(Please avoid rodenticides to control pests!)

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:06 pm

I'm constantly having to "log-in" again! Anyone else?
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:41 pm

How do I find the Vanier Park eagles observation page from ground observers I want to post but have lost the link since you updated this program to Windows 10? Judi Williams....let me know on Eagles Anonymous....thank you Judi

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:23 pm

Post deleted. Marg
Last edited by marg on Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

jfrimeth

Post by jfrimeth » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:29 am

Hi.
Can someone please tell me exact location of Delta 2 nest?
I am a teacher in Salluit QC. We have been watching the nest, laying of the two eggs and now hatching of first eaglet.
We are doing an Exchange trip with Stz'uminus Community School in Ladysmith and will be taking the ferry to Vancouver on Saturday April 27.
We would like to visit the actual nest site, if possible.
Thanks.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:41 am

jfrimeth wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:29 am
Hi.
Can someone please tell me exact location of Delta 2 nest?
I am a teacher in Salluit QC. We have been watching the nest, laying of the two eggs and now hatching of first eaglet.
We are doing an Exchange trip with Stz'uminus Community School in Ladysmith and will be taking the ferry to Vancouver on Saturday April 27.
We would like to visit the actual nest site, if possible.
Thanks.
Welcome to the forum! I apologize for the delay in responding to you - the nest is on private property, and I need to contact some of the people from the area to see if that's a possibility. There are also a number of nests visible from public viewing locations - though I know your students would prefer seeing the nest they've been watching if possible. We'll try to be back in touch with you later today or tomorrow.

Return to “Home - Comments”