Programs for S'caps and Videos

Report cams up/down or if you need technical assistance.
gemini
Admin

Programs for S'caps and Videos

Post by gemini » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:42 am

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday April 07, 2011 @04:36AM (Read 14684 times)

We regularly get questions about how to take screenshots or screen captures (also known as s'caps) and how to make videos of the activities on the various nests. This thread is intended to be a place where we can discuss the various programs we use, what we like or don't like about them, and perhaps have some tutorials (or link to some that were written for the old forum).

Like many threads, it may end up evolving over time.

Part of the reason we're starting this thread now is because we are having issues with attachments in PNG format - which is the way a number of capture programs save their images. Richard is working on the problem, but right now, attachments in PNG format won't show up in your post, even if the FILE tags are used correctly.

I've done a wee bit of research, and have found that PNG probably does save the images at a higher quality than JPG - but it makes much larger files in most cases, and the difference in quality isn't likely to be apparent on a computer screen unless you're doing a lot of editing and Save-As copies of the picture. So if you're making one of the fun pictures for a Chat thread with the eagles wearing birthday hats - you may have better results working with a PNG file as you try different things, and then saving to JPG in the end. But if you're just taking a quick pic of a little chick and posting it - JPG makes for a smaller file and a page that loads a lot faster.

I expect there are similar issues with the various video formats, but don't know enough about them to comment on that.

Please let us know what program you are using, the format or formats it uses, pros and cons - whatever you think will be helpful.

And let me know if there are other suggestions I should add to this post. Thanks!

gemini
Admin

Re: Programs for S'caps and Videos

Post by gemini » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:44 am

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday April 07, 2011 @04:42AM

I use CaptureWizPro for s'caps. It saves the shots in PNG format in a temporary folder (mine is set to remove those copies after 7 days), and I normally do an immediate Save-As to JPG for posting - one of the options available after I take a s'cap. I can also move the pictures out of the temp folder to a permanent folder if I want to save the original PNGs.

The program is Windows-only, and does work with Windows 7. It's about $40 US, and there's a Lite version for $20.

It also records video, and I don't do that often enough to remember the format it uses.

And I'm late for work so will continue this later - bye!

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:58 am

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Thursday April 07, 2011 @12:16PM

I use MWsnap, it's free, easy and an excellent capture program

it can be found here at Cnet which is safe to download...

MWsnap Free Capture Software

Click on image here to download

I don't remember how it looks as it installs just make sure you're saving shots as jpegs! It's easiest once installed to choose the "Any Area" which lets you drag the mouse over the cam area you want and just click and boom there's the shot of just what you wanted. Then you save it, name it and be sure it's marked as jpeg. Don't use the "window" or "desktop" options as then you're taking a full screen shot and shots that size are unneccessary

My average nest shots are between 60 & 65 kb's. Very small and no problem for the site. Never take a screen capture when you are viewing the cam full page, always put the cam to normal view then take the shot

Hope this helps somebody Titter

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:03 am

By: Anonymous: Skipper () on Sunday April 10, 2011 @08:59AM

I was looking for a program that I can change the outside dimensions of a video after recording it--now that the Sidney Eagles stream is sk(r)ewed Smile and I came across this comprehensive list of screen recorders:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... g_software

Clicking on the links takes you to Wiki articles but most of them are "broken" -- so google names of programs that you are interested in :-)

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:04 am

By: eiguoc (offline) on Tuesday April 12, 2011 @11:57AM

I use the free Screen hunter & MWsnap. PhotoScape & PhotoFilter editing lets you change to JPEG

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:05 am

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Tuesday April 12, 2011 @06:02PM

FastStone Capture let's you save as .JPEG. Free and minimally priced versions.(and just what is a png? never heard of it til recently)

(it captures video too.)

http://www.faststone.org/FSCaptureDetail.htm

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:12 am

By: Anonymous: Brian H () on Sunday October 30, 2011 @10:54PM

I also use Irfanview to open and alter images once obtained. Just d/l from Irfanview.com . Change size, coloration, contrast, etc., etc.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:15 am

By: gemini (online) on Sunday May 25, 2014 @05:33AM

Hi reverdeb, welcome to the HWF forum.

After a quick look at the suggested programs, it looks like they are mostly still around in updated versions.

Faststone (free for 30 days, $19.95 to purchase): http://www.faststone.org/download.htm

Capturewiz: (free for 30 days, $39.95 to purchase): http://pixelmetrics.com/

Here is a site that reviews several free programs - http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-fr ... e-tool.htm

I am currently trying out ScreenshotCaptor one of the free programs recommended. It takes a bit of getting used to but once used a few times I think I am going to stick with it. It saves directly to a file folder and names the scaps automatically if you choose and also has a pretty good editing program with it which is a plus - you don't have to open another program to edit if you want to. Here is a link telling you what the program can do. http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/M ... index.html

My suggestion is to try a few out as they are free (or have a free trial period) and see which one you like. If you decide you don't like a program it can always be uninstalled.

If you have any questions or need help, just PM me!

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:20 am

By: Windsong (offline) on Tuesday October 04, 2016 @03:02AM

for s'caps I use Greenshot, its free, comes with an editor, and can save to clipboard, office docs, or open in editor.

And in the settings you can set up a preferred folder to save to and a format (JPEG). Then when you select "save directly using preferred settings" it will save to your folder as your format, and give it a name with the date.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:23 am

By: Kanseagle (offline) on Sunday March 12, 2017 @08:21AM

First to stay on topic of programs used for scaps and video capture, I use Corel VideoStudio, that has Screen Capture for video. For stills I use FastStone.

Now I do have a question regarding the Live Video Player for the SWFL Eagle Nest Cam. I'm aware of the live stream utilizing YouTube. Is there a technical reason why it's not possible to rewind? I was able to do it one time, when I composed the video of E9 on his 2nd Day of branching. It was critical with being able to get to some portions I had missed. I think it's also just generally useful for when someone may miss something that occurred due to streaming problems like buffering. I know this is possible with the many other Eagle Nest Cams.

Thank you..

jkr
Admin

Post by jkr » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:21 pm

Some screen capture options on a Mac are as follows:

Using Shift/Command/4 keys is free, as it is part of the Mac software. The image is then saved to your desktop automatically.

SnapNDrag Pro is available from the APP Store. At one time it was free but that is no longer the case. Cost $13.99

For video ScreenRecord Pro is available on the APP Store. Cost at the moment is $6.99

Screen Record HD - Lite, which I believe is free at the App Store.
Judy (jkr) - member since 2006
Need Help ? Check our HELPFUL HINTS

Return to “Technical Help”