PC Windows User Support

Report cams up/down or if you need technical assistance.
jkr
Admin

PC Windows User Support

Post by jkr » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:19 pm

This thread is for PC Windows users to report problems, issues, questions and solutions here at HWF.
Judy (jkr) - member since 2006
Need Help ? Check our HELPFUL HINTS

JoanD
Topic Assistant

Re: PC Windows User Support

Post by JoanD » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:34 am

The last 3 times I logged into the Delta 2 cams on IE, my laptop (Lenovo ideapad, Windows 10) screen starts blinking as soon as I start taking scaps. It is hard to move the cam around. The first 2 times, it ended, after I logged off the cams & restarted the computer. Today, it started. After a few minutes, my laptop started making a noise, then said it had to shut down due to an issue. It then shut down. I had to message someone to put the cams back on the nest for me. I do not have issues any other time, only when I am on the cam. I even use IE for a club's email program (not often, but have used it several times the last week) & I don't get the blinking screen then. I'm guessing it is something my laptop doesn't like about IE & the cams combined. Writing to see if you have any suggestions. Norton just cleaned my laptop last night, but I ran CC Cleaner, just in case, after the shut down today.
It's a great event to get outside and enjoy nature. I find it very exciting no matter how many times I see bald eagles.
Karen Armstrong

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:06 pm

JoanD wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:34 am
The last 3 times I logged into the Delta 2 cams on IE, my laptop (Lenovo ideapad, Windows 10) screen starts blinking as soon as I start taking scaps. It is hard to move the cam around. The first 2 times, it ended, after I logged off the cams & restarted the computer. Today, it started. After a few minutes, my laptop started making a noise, then said it had to shut down due to an issue. It then shut down. I had to message someone to put the cams back on the nest for me. I do not have issues any other time, only when I am on the cam. I even use IE for a club's email program (not often, but have used it several times the last week) & I don't get the blinking screen then. I'm guessing it is something my laptop doesn't like about IE & the cams combined. Writing to see if you have any suggestions. Norton just cleaned my laptop last night, but I ran CC Cleaner, just in case, after the shut down today.
Hmm.... :chin:

I'm reasonably certain we have not changed anything on the cams - Ken isn't in the habit of updating software or firmware or any of that as long as things are working.

How do you take s'caps while you are zooming? I know there is a button that lets you take a screenshot of what you're seeing in the cam control window, but I never use it - most of the time I take screenshots of the embedded cam because it's typically higher resolution (though that's not the case with all cams right now as Ken is trying some different ways of streaming). And even when I take screenshots of the control window, I use my standard screenshot program (quite frankly, I'd forgotten the little camera button existed - though I just tried it on both Delta East and Surrey South and it worked as I'd expect it should work, taking a screenshot that I could right-click and save (and now I'm curious where the picture "is" until I save it - not seeing anything obvious).

I get sidetracked easily - sorry. I guess the question is if you use the cam control software to take screenshots, or if you use something else - and if it's something else, have you had any recent updates?

And I know windows likes to do updates (as do security programs) - and one of those might be part of the problem.

Are you getting low on space on the computer hard drive? That can cause strange problems. (And I know only too well how easy it is to take dozens of screenshots when they're doing something interesting.)

Another thought is that we could discuss uninstalling the plugin that lets you control the cam, and installing a newer version of it. But I'll wait to hear back from you before discussing that.

JoanD
Topic Assistant

Post by JoanD » Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:16 pm

JudyB wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:06 pm
JoanD wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:34 am
Hmm.... :chin:

I'm reasonably certain we have not changed anything on the cams - Ken isn't in the habit of updating software or firmware or any of that as long as things are working.

How do you take s'caps while you are zooming? I know there is a button that lets you take a screenshot of what you're seeing in the cam control window, but I never use it - most of the time I take screenshots of the embedded cam because it's typically higher resolution (though that's not the case with all cams right now as Ken is trying some different ways of streaming). And even when I take screenshots of the control window, I use my standard screenshot program (quite frankly, I'd forgotten the little camera button existed - though I just tried it on both Delta East and Surrey South and it worked as I'd expect it should work, taking a screenshot that I could right-click and save (and now I'm curious where the picture "is" until I save it - not seeing anything obvious).

I get sidetracked easily - sorry. I guess the question is if you use the cam control software to take screenshots, or if you use something else - and if it's something else, have you had any recent updates?

And I know windows likes to do updates (as do security programs) - and one of those might be part of the problem.

Are you getting low on space on the computer hard drive? That can cause strange problems. (And I know only too well how easy it is to take dozens of screenshots when they're doing something interesting.)

Another thought is that we could discuss uninstalling the plugin that lets you control the cam, and installing a newer version of it. But I'll wait to hear back from you before discussing that.
Hi, Judy, I have been cleaning out my old scaps before jumping on. Last season I didn't & never had the problem. I actually use the PrtSc Button, so DropBox saves them to a folder on my hard drive. If they don't save it, which is rare, another program on my computer saves them, but that hasn't happened in about 6 months. I have never used the button on the cam screen. I usually take screenshots on the embedded cam, but will on the zoom cam, if the embedded isn't working or if I forget to switch. I will have to remember to check to see if I actually forgot & took the screenshots on the zoom cam with my button. I cleaned everything again afterwards & jumped back on an hour or so later. The only issue I had was the screen when black for a few seconds, but no other problems. So I will see what happens tomorrow. I will try to clean up my hard drive more, because I still have a lot of videos on it from last season. Just weird the blinking just started this past week if that is the reason.
Thanks again! Just thought if someone had heard of this & had a suggestion, I would give it a try. I find sometimes this Lenovo laptop seems to be touchy. I tried to get on a zoom meeting the other day for the first time & the cam wouldn't turn on, though all the settings said it was turned on. I went to Zoom support & the first thing listed was "If you have a Lenovo, try this" & it worked. Something similar happened in a different situation, too. Hopefully it won't happen again.
It's a great event to get outside and enjoy nature. I find it very exciting no matter how many times I see bald eagles.
Karen Armstrong

Return to “Technical Help”