Report Cams Down and Forum Errors

Report cams up/down or if you need technical assistance.
JudyB
Admin

Re: Report Cams Down and Forum Errors

Post by JudyB » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:40 pm

Thank you, Jean and Sandy, for the pictures of the West cam. I'm hoping this is a very rare occurrence, but it is useful to have a record of how it all plays out.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:50 am

Hi everyone -

The good news is that the forum is unlocked so we can continue posting - and most of the posts from the last couple of days are still there.

The bad news is that the reason they are there is that we were unable to go back to the backup copy of the forum that should have been made Sunday night. The forum is incredibly large, and apparently the backup process hasn't been working properly for a while because there's not enough space on the server. We are in the process of upgrading our account so we have more room on the server (shameless plug - there is an increased cost for that, so while I know this may not be the best time to make a donation, it would really help if you could - https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/) - and hopefully that means we'll soon have daily backups again. But we have no way to recover the posts that were lost on January 3rd.

Our tech person David Hathaway and I are both incredibly sorry that the posts were lost, and that we were not able to get them back, and we are looking at a few changes to make sure this never happens again.

Thank you for your patience and your support as we worked through this.

Journi
Topic Assistant

Post by Journi » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:16 pm

:eag: Judy - the SWFEC thread says LOCKED while the other threads seem to be unlocked. When will SWFEC be unlocked?
Also, will there be a formal post (from you) explaining what has been happening with the forum in each thread?

Thank you, ~Journi
Click to enlarge s'caps
Beautiful Harriet is my avatar ~ HW Member since 2015
Celebrating E14's short but beautiful life while here on Earth in Season 8 - SWFEC
(Please avoid rodenticides to control pests!)

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:04 pm

Hi Judy,
A bit ago, I attempted to make a post and a random image showed up versus the one I wanted to add to the post. I deleted and then tried a second time without a change but on the third time, the image posted correctly. So this leads to an oddity.
Jean made a welcome back post where I see a random image of the tower eagles in her post. This is what I see from the forum.
2022-01-06_14-46-53.jpg
I asked Jean about it and she sees it as correctly posted. So I checked the forum on my iphone is this is what I see and what Jean sees on the forum.
unnamed (1).png
So is it something going on with my account I wonder? I have made a couple of posts to Delta and those posted correctly.
Thanks,
Sandy
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:17 pm

Journi wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:16 pm
:eag: Judy - the SWFEC thread says LOCKED while the other threads seem to be unlocked. When will SWFEC be unlocked?
Also, will there be a formal post (from you) explaining what has been happening with the forum in each thread?

Thank you, ~Journi
I answered the question about SWFEC in a response to your email (quick answer if others are curious is that it was locked by a Support Team member, and I expect there's a plan in the works for organizing the posts covering the time the forum was down).

There are way too many threads for me to do that - and I have tried to include posters from the more active threads in the email updates I sent out (and I apologize to those I missed). And you, or any other member, are welcome to quote my post above and share it if you see questions being asked.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:35 pm

Sandy_W wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:04 pm
Hi Judy,
A bit ago, I attempted to make a post and a random image showed up versus the one I wanted to add to the post. I deleted and then tried a second time without a change but on the third time, the image posted correctly. So this leads to an oddity.
Jean made a welcome back post where I see a random image of the tower eagles in her post. This is what I see from the forum.
2022-01-06_14-46-53.jpg
I asked Jean about it and she sees it as correctly posted. So I checked the forum on my iphone is this is what I see and what Jean sees on the forum.
unnamed (1).png

So is it something going on with my account I wonder? I have made a couple of posts to Delta and those posted correctly.
Thanks,
Sandy
Interesting mystery, Sandy.

You might try a hard refresh/reload, which is holding shift while clicking whatever button or link you normally use to refresh a page - that should force your computer to go back to the server for all the content on the page, rather using cached copies that might be out of date.

As to why/how it happened, I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with your account. While we were trying to restore the older version of the forum, I think at some point we did lose some posts from the 4th or 5th, and some of those posts may have had pictures. This is pure speculation, but the picture may have been in a post that was deleted, and for some reason ended up in Jean's post temporarily. Or it may have been in your computer's cache as photo #12345 - and then the post with that photo was deleted/overwritten during the attempt to restore the backup, and when Jean made her post, her s'cap was assigned that number and your computer said "I've already got a copy, so I'll just show that!" Maybe. :chin:

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:47 pm

JudyB wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:35 pm
Sandy_W wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:04 pm
Hi Judy,
2022-01-06_14-46-53.jpg
unnamed (1).png

Thanks,
Sandy
Interesting mystery, Sandy.

You might try a hard refresh/reload, which is holding shift while clicking whatever button or link you normally use to refresh a page - that should force your computer to go back to the server for all the content on the page, rather using cached copies that might be out of date.

As to why/how it happened, I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with your account. While we were trying to restore the older version of the forum, I think at some point we did lose some posts from the 4th or 5th, and some of those posts may have had pictures. This is pure speculation, but the picture may have been in a post that was deleted, and for some reason ended up in Jean's post temporarily. Or it may have been in your computer's cache as photo #12345 - and then the post with that photo was deleted/overwritten during the attempt to restore the backup, and when Jean made her post, her s'cap was assigned that number and your computer said "I've already got a copy, so I'll just show that!" Maybe. :chin:

Thanks, Judy. Not that I totally understand but I do like magic buttons. Except the computer wanted to choose and replace for me. That's OK and not an ongoing issue. The hard refresh worked. Also I have been posting and those have worked correctly. Appreciate it! And thanks for all you do.
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:29 pm

2:27pm.........Not that you need more to think about but here is a comparison of WEST cam......November 18, 2021, November 29th and today, January 6, 2022. It has shifted and part of that branch is gone now too or perhaps snapped in two.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:41 pm

Jean wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:29 pm
2:27pm.........Not that you need more to think about but here is a comparison of WEST cam......November 18, 2021, November 29th and today, January 6, 2022. It has shifted and part of that branch is gone now too or perhaps snapped in two.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG
Thanks, Jean. I can see that it's definitely shifted or twisted or something, but I'm not sure which part of what branch is now missing (though I'm not surprised that something is).

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:47 pm

JudyB wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:41 pm
Jean wrote:

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG
Thanks, Jean. I can see that it's definitely shifted or twisted or something, but I'm not sure which part of what branch is now missing (though I'm not surprised that something is).

I've been looking at this for a few minutes........wondering...........could that tall branch have snapped in two and now is hanging down from where it was attached. That means it is only the straps holding it there? Or maybe how that branch is catching on other branches there?
1.JPG
Look at the V shape.
2.JPG
3.JPG
3.JPG (27.77 KiB) Viewed 877 times
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:21 pm

Jean wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:47 pm
JudyB wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:41 pm
Jean wrote:

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

I've been looking at this for a few minutes........wondering...........could that tall branch have snapped in two and now is hanging down from where it was attached. That means it is only the straps holding it there? Or maybe how that branch is catching on other branches there?

1.JPG

Look at the V shape.

2.JPG3.JPG
I just went back and looked at David Hancock's pictures taken from the ground right after this happened (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=574&p=516232#p516229) and I think the top half of the branch has only been attached by the cam straps since November 15, and I'm wondering if the strap on the bottom part slid down a bit, or if the top of the upper part either settled lower into the tree, or something broke, causing the angle to change some.

Here are two of David's pictures copied from the posts in the link above (they click bigger):

This shows the top of the broken branch being held by other branches in the tree:

And this is a closeup, showing how the straps are holding the two parts together:

If you go to the link, there are a lot more pictures from different angles (and I had forgotten some details, so glad I looked).

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:25 pm

Hello the South Cam is frozen @ 16:16 at SR. Thanks
I have found that watching Eagles in Nature is the best and most addictive show on Earth - CC

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:38 pm

CC398 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:25 pm
Hello the South Cam is frozen @ 16:16 at SR. Thanks
Thanks, CC! It looks OK now, so I'm guessing Ken caught it on a regular check of the cams.

CC398
Topic Assistant

Post by CC398 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:10 pm

Yes, it corrected itself quickly. Thanks so much
I have found that watching Eagles in Nature is the best and most addictive show on Earth - CC

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:30 am

FRIDAY JANUARY 7, 2022
Good Morning Judy
ReH Mills
5:19am The N Embedded cam has Black Screen
Last Live Stream was around 8:07 pm 'last night .
I can't connect to the NPTZ cam . ?? Power Outage
THanks .
Bev

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

Return to “Technical Help”