Report Cams Down and Forum Errors

Report cams up/down or if you need technical assistance.
IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Re: Report Cams Down and Forum Errors

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:08 am

JudyB wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:00 am
IrishEyes wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:47 pm
MONDAY, JANUARY 20, 2020

GoodAfternoon Judy

Re HMills

12:44pm.Nest Time

The N Cam is sputtering ... maybe a reboot will help when you have time .

Thank You
Bev

PS For the record.. The S Cam is still down... we are waiting to see if it comes .
Thanks, Bev - I'm afraid I was a bit under the weather yesterday so didn't get here to check for messages - does North still need a reboot?

Sorry your weren't feeling well Judy :huggie: the cam just went down and came back again... did you reboot it ??

PS.. It had spinning circle before that and I refreshed and it came back.

It seems OK now.

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:14 am

IrishEyes wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:08 am
JudyB wrote:

Thanks, Bev - I'm afraid I was a bit under the weather yesterday so didn't get here to check for messages - does North still need a reboot?

Sorry your weren't feeling well Judy :huggie: the cam just went down and came back again... did you reboot it ??
No. Ken may be rebooting them (or the Wowza server) from time to time - I've seen the Surrey cams go briefly black one after the other.

I also cannot log into Harrison South. I'll send a message to Ken - sometimes he can do things remotely with his connection to the computer out there, but it may eventually require a site visit.

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:21 am

JudyB wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:14 am
IrishEyes wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:08 am
JudyB wrote:

No. Ken may be rebooting them (or the Wowza server) from time to time - I've seen the Surrey cams go briefly black one after the other.

I also cannot log into Harrison South. I'll send a message to Ken - sometimes he can do things remotely with his connection to the computer out there, but it may eventually require a site visit.
Thank you Judy and please get some rest today :huggie: There is a nasty bug on the go here .. Agnes and Kyle both have a nasty cold.. :(

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:44 pm

2:30pm.............Hi Judy and all........sorry to hear you haven't been well either. Not a good time of the year I think. Spring can't come soon enough for me. I've had both vertigo and gout to contend with since early December. Finally almost back to my old self.

General questions.......nothing urgent.........

At Delta2 we are having an issue with the embedded cams. This seems to have started a couple of months ago maybe. The embedded cams are getting spinning circles frequently. The cams do usually come back on their own but we find we often have to refresh our screens to make them appear current again while we are zooming. And then they will spin again a few minutes later. When they do spin this shows up on the rollback as a blip, in other words we have lost a moment or two of the actual footage. When zoomers are looking to find a particular thing we often spend a long time trying to get this moment before we realize that it just isn't there to find. And zoomers need these embedded cams to work properly while they are zooming the cams as that is where we grab our s'caps from. So that is wasted time when we don't have a lot of time to be on the cams. Yesterday it was like that with me and I finally gave up in frustration. What makes it worse is that with a very long rollback time now it is a real challenge to locate a particular moment so we can get a s'cap from it. Zoomers are mostly looking for things within a shorter time frame and this long rollback makes it an onerous task. When we had a shorter rollback maybe 4 hours or so.........it seemed to be better. The end result is that using the rollback is not an efficient, useful tool anymore.........and I think we are all wanting to leave it alone now unless something urgent happens. At first I thought our cold, windy weather was to blame for the spinning circles, but it has gone on for so long now I wonder if there is some other reason.
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Jean wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:44 pm
2:30pm.............Hi Judy and all........sorry to hear you haven't been well either. Not a good time of the year I think. Spring can't come soon enough for me. I've had both vertigo and gout to contend with since early December. Finally almost back to my old self.

General questions.......nothing urgent.........

At Delta2 we are having an issue with the embedded cams. This seems to have started a couple of months ago maybe. The embedded cams are getting spinning circles frequently. The cams do usually come back on their own but we find we often have to refresh our screens to make them appear current again while we are zooming. And then they will spin again a few minutes later. When they do spin this shows up on the rollback as a blip, in other words we have lost a moment or two of the actual footage. When zoomers are looking to find a particular thing we often spend a long time trying to get this moment before we realize that it just isn't there to find. And zoomers need these embedded cams to work properly while they are zooming the cams as that is where we grab our s'caps from. So that is wasted time when we don't have a lot of time to be on the cams. Yesterday it was like that with me and I finally gave up in frustration. What makes it worse is that with a very long rollback time now it is a real challenge to locate a particular moment so we can get a s'cap from it. Zoomers are mostly looking for things within a shorter time frame and this long rollback makes it an onerous task. When we had a shorter rollback maybe 4 hours or so.........it seemed to be better. The end result is that using the rollback is not an efficient, useful tool anymore.........and I think we are all wanting to leave it alone now unless something urgent happens. At first I thought our cold, windy weather was to blame for the spinning circles, but it has gone on for so long now I wonder if there is some other reason.
Glad to hear that you're feeling better, Jean - that's a long time to be under the weather!

Hmm :chin:

Do you know how long it's been since the cams have been rebooted? That sometimes helps with the spinning circle, and I'll be happy to reboot one or both of them - or you can. Maybe try rebooting one first, to see if it makes a difference.

I'm sort of thinking out loud here - if when the embedded cams go to a spinning circle, there's no data being recorded to the dvr (so a blip) - that suggests that the cam may be having trouble connecting to YouTube. I'm also wondering how long it's been since the Wowza server has been rebooted - which is a question for Ken, and I'll ask.

One thing I sometimes do when watching a cam where something is happening is scribble the time stamp when something interesting occurs. I tend to record visits then take my s'caps from the recording, and that helps me find the spot on the recording when I had a good look at the male's eye, for instance. And I don't zoom as much as you and your team, but when I do, it also helps me know when exactly the male landed so I can get a picture of him with the stick (or whatever).

By the way, I've been watching the Delta embedded cams while typing (it's now 3:11 pm) and someone is zooming - and so far I haven't had a spinning circle. And I know things like that never happen when someone's watching for them. But if you - or whoever is zooming - is getting a spinning circle with missing data, I'd have to rethink my theory.

As far as the rollback time - I have not been able to find a way to set that on YouTube. Usually when I reboot a cam, it resets the dvr - but that doesn't always happen, and I'm not sure why. I don't suppose there's a certain time when the eagles typically do interesting things? You could try doing a reboot in the morning once you've checked for overnight activity - that should give you a shorter rollback period for at least the first part of the daylight hours - and probably most of them during this time of short days and long nights. Or I can try doing that if I'm online in the morning, if you'd like me to do it (I'd check to see if anyone is signed in to zoom and coordinate with them if there is).

Beyond that, I don't know what to suggest. Now that we have fiber optic service at Delta, there should be plenty of bandwidth for the two-way connection to the cams that zoomers need plus the upload to Wowza to send the signal to YouTube. Weather might be a factor on those very windy days, but I wouldn't think it would be otherwise.

Let me know if there's something you want to try that you'd like my help with - and I'll ask Ken about the Wowza server. Good luck!

It's now 3:30, and I still haven't had a spinning circle.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Adding to my previous post....

I was away from my computer until 5:59 pm, and found a spinning arrow on the East embedded cam when I returned. I clicked "live" and it jumped to the present. I went back to the beginning of the dvr, and it was 12 hours back, suggesting nothing was deleted by the spinning circle this time.

The dvr on West also went back 12 hours.

All of which proves nothing, beyond the fact that it's really hard to debug things that happen intermittently. But we'll keep trying. :thumlft:

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:11 pm

JudyB wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:03 pm

I was away from my computer until 5:59 pm, and found a spinning arrow on the East embedded cam when I returned. I clicked "live" and it jumped to the present. I went back to the beginning of the dvr, and it was 12 hours back, suggesting nothing was deleted by the spinning circle this time.

The dvr on West also went back 12 hours.

All of which proves nothing, beyond the fact that it's really hard to debug things that happen intermittently. But we'll keep trying. :thumlft:

Judy .. I do the same on H Mills !

Bev

Jean
Topic Assistant

Post by Jean » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:02 pm

10:01pm..........Judy, I have rebooted both zoomer cams at Delta. Will have to wait and see if this makes any difference to getting spinning circles or not.

Also..............the blips I was talking about before are what occurs as we watch the rollback of the cams. I think maybe the recording is made, don't know but when we try to use the red line to view something and actually watch the video playback as things happen, it will sometimes skip over a moment as if it has not been recorded................but the playback will still go back 12 hours. That is not affected. This blip usually coincides with the time there was a spinning circle there.

Also.........as I look now I see that the E cam seems to be going on and off.
2.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

At this time they are both ON again.
"Volunteers do not necessarily have the time..............they have the heart"..........Elizabeth Andrew

(Member since 9/10/11)

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:57 am

2:55 am checking in at Delta 2 and find the east embedded cam is offline. I don't know when it happened however.
2020-01-23_4-55-31.jpg
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:07 am

Sandy_W wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:57 am
2:55 am checking in at Delta 2 and find the east embedded cam is offline. I don't know when it happened however.
2020-01-23_4-55-31.jpg
8:06 am - the E Embedded Cam is still down for Delta.....I am going to try to log into the zoomer cam and see if that helps with anything.
2020-01-23 11_06_10-Window.jpg

Edit: I was unable to log into the E Cam (zoomer cam)....I received the message 'Can't Reach this Page'. I noticed that when I tried to go into YouTube directly that the address or name or something changed so my bookmark didn't work for either of the embedded cams. I was able to find the W Cam and that seems to be working okay. It goes back only 6 hours and 51 minutes (back to 21:58 pm last night)....which is good for me, but I assume the cams went down at that time.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:42 am

Hi Sandy, Sue and all -

I just got off the phone with Ken, and he's not able to reach Delta East remotely, which means there's no signal going to the Wowza server - and thus no signal to YouTube.

Bev - this is also what he's seeing at Harrison South, these are his thoughts on that cam, too.

He suspects the weather is a factor in all this, and there's a chance that it will come back online by itself, so I'd suggest that zoomers try logging in from time to time, since he may need to reboot the Wowza feed if the cam begins working again.

If Delta East doesn't come back up in a day or two (and if the weather improves a bit), he may be able to check things on site - but I don't have a time frame for that. A site visit for Harrison Mills is less likely in the near future, but he knows we'd love to have the cam back, and will do what he can when he can.

Sorry I don't have better news - and Ken is also sorry that there's no easy fix this time.

:grhug:
Sandy_W wrote:
2020-01-23_4-55-31.jpg
SueB wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:07 am

8:06 am - the E Embedded Cam is still down for Delta.....I am going to try to log into the zoomer cam and see if that helps with anything.

Edit: I was unable to log into the E Cam (zoomer cam)....I received the message 'Can't Reach this Page'. I noticed that when I tried to go into YouTube directly that the address or name or something changed so my bookmark didn't work for either of the embedded cams. I was able to find the W Cam and that seems to be working okay. It goes back only 6 hours and 51 minutes (back to 21:58 pm last night)....which is good for me, but I assume the cams went down at that time.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:51 am

Jean wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:02 pm
10:01pm..........Judy, I have rebooted both zoomer cams at Delta. Will have to wait and see if this makes any difference to getting spinning circles or not.

Also..............the blips I was talking about before are what occurs as we watch the rollback of the cams. I think maybe the recording is made, don't know but when we try to use the red line to view something and actually watch the video playback as things happen, it will sometimes skip over a moment as if it has not been recorded................but the playback will still go back 12 hours. That is not affected. This blip usually coincides with the time there was a spinning circle there.

Also.........as I look now I see that the E cam seems to be going on and off.

At this time they are both ON again.
Thanks, Jean - and I know your post was written before East went down.

If you had the time to watch the segment again, are you thinking the activity would be there? And yes, I know that watching for 20 minutes to get a time stamp so you can go back five minutes (since it's hard to jump back less than that) and watch again being ready to get the screenshot when the time approaches is beyond tedious - and I don't have a solution for that.

Gemini did find something that's been helping us watch the dvr at Surrey:

NOTE: As you move the cursor over the red line the thumbnail will blink. This sometimes makes it difficult to catch all the action - particularly if the action is very short in duration.

However, the blinking seems to diminish quite a bit if you move the cursor quickly back and forth (or forward and back) approximately one inch at a time along the red line. The second and third times over the line the thumbnail doesn't blink as much. Even though you are repeating your action, in the long run it is quicker.

I don't know if that will help but wanted to make sure you'd seen it.

SueB
Zoomer

Post by SueB » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:56 am

JudyB wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:42 am
Hi Sandy, Sue and all -

I just got off the phone with Ken, and he's not able to reach Delta East remotely, which means there's no signal going to the Wowza server - and thus no signal to YouTube.

Bev - this is also what he's seeing at Harrison South, these are his thoughts on that cam, too.

He suspects the weather is a factor in all this, and there's a chance that it will come back online by itself, so I'd suggest that zoomers try logging in from time to time, since he may need to reboot the Wowza feed if the cam begins working again.

If Delta East doesn't come back up in a day or two (and if the weather improves a bit), he may be able to check things on site - but I don't have a time frame for that. A site visit for Harrison Mills is less likely in the near future, but he knows we'd love to have the cam back, and will do what he can when he can.

Sorry I don't have better news - and Ken is also sorry that there's no easy fix this time.

:grhug:
Sandy_W wrote:
2020-01-23_4-55-31.jpg
SueB wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:07 am

Hi Judy! The Delta E Cam is back online now!!! Thanks to you and Ken, or whoever got it back up and running!

Sandy_W
Topic Assistant

Post by Sandy_W » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:02 am

10:01 am checking in and see the Delta 2 east cam is offline once again. Says it went offline 8 minutes ago.
“Eagles: When they walk, they stumble. They are not what one would call graceful. They were not designed to walk. They fly. And when they fly, oh, how they fly, so free, so graceful. They see from the sky what we never see.” – Unknown

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:12 am

Sandy_W wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:02 am
10:01 am checking in and see the Delta 2 east cam is offline once again. Says it went offline 8 minutes ago.
Thanks, Sandy! Maybe moisture in a cable or connection or something? Hopefully it’ll be back up soon.

I’m going to be away from the computer for a few hours - will check in this afternoon.

Return to “Technical Help”