CHAT-N-BOBBLE

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

Anuli's mom

Re: CHAT-N-BOBBLE

Post by Anuli's mom » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:29 pm

Watching Malala & Junior has been fun and educational, although sometimes so difficult to see well! It really makes one appreciate the excellent quality of our cams here at SWFL!!! Many repeated thanks & much appreciation to/for the Pritchetts!

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:40 pm

Hard to believe they were so little back then. ❤️🦅.
Best wishes,

Peggy :)
She/her

In loving memory of Ozzie & Harriet, “May you soar on eagle wings, high above the madness of the world."--Jonathan Lockwood Huie ❤️

Suemac

Post by Suemac » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:44 pm

:wave: Anuli's mom! So good to see you here! Yes, the Growls cam can be hard to see.
It is a new cam and most were unaware of it until Malala (not by choice) appeared on the scene.
SWFEC started out with just one cam and has improved over the years. Hopefully with donations they can
improve the quality of the cams. In the meantime we watch another amazing miracle of nature. Take care!
"Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you."
Native American Proverb

Harriet gone, yet not forgotten. Forever in our hearts. :brknhrt:

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:46 pm

For those watching Malala and Jr. on the Growls nest on YouTube, make sure the quality setting is set for the highest resolution . Mine was on the lowest (360) so I changed it to 720 ( the highest for this camera) and it did make it better. Click on the little cog wheel at the bottom ( or maybe at top for some) and you can change it.
AKA: Marianne

Suemac

Post by Suemac » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:19 pm

Grosbeak- have you heard about this eagle nest in Ohio? It seems hawklets are becoming the new nest mates.https://www.dispatch.com/story/lifestyl ... kov07sbe0a
Native American Proverb

Grosbeak

Post by Grosbeak » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:21 pm

Suemac wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:19 pm
Grosbeak- have you heard about this eagle nest in Ohio? It seems hawklets are becoming the new nest mates.https://www.dispatch.com/story/lifestyl ... kov07sbe0a
No, Suemac, I hadn't heard about it. Many thanks. Seems having a RTH in a BE nest is becoming à la mode.

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:27 pm

.Amazing Sue! It seems like a lot of hawklets that are brought in for food are turning into family members!!

Lazy---was it you who asked how 17 and 18's eyes got infected? The only thing that we saw was messy, runny fish "stuff" running all over their heads and faces and the next thing you know---they had that awful bacterial infection in their eyes. We are not really sure if that's what did it. CROW did a really good job on those babies as most who have that infection don't survive, Getting to them quickly probably helped.
Member since July, 2006

LazyParrot4

Post by LazyParrot4 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:42 am

:ty: Yes, Mary. I asked about cause of eye infection.

:clap: Just so E19 doesn't feel left out--here are some scaps of its fledge:

Attachments
E19 getting ready to Fledge.jpg
E19 exercising early morning of fledge
E19 Fledge day.jpg
E19 showing off
E19 Fledges.png
E19 Fledge
E19 Fledges.png (116.6 KiB) Viewed 1125 times

lovinnature

Post by lovinnature » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:12 am

Good morning all! Happy hump day peeps ! 🐫
This the my first post on my new tablet. It's a shame I don't have any s'caps to post yet ;) Give me time. I'm setting up bookmarks right now. I'm getting that funky thing on Pritchett site. "Welcome to 2019-2020 season". Sure it was a great season, but not exactly what I want ?? I knew this wasn't going to be easy. UGH!

Sunnybird :wave: yes rehab time out for E was priceless ! Hope you're having a nice summer.
H . "We are eagles of one nest. The nest is in our soul." Led Zeppelin (Ten Years Gone)

lovinnature

Post by lovinnature » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:31 am

Growls, morning nest report.
Looked like Malaka spent the night on a different tree branch. When Jr. woke, get got up and made a soft short call. I heard Mala call back. The at 4:52 am Malala appeared to fly in to the under side of the nest. Flopped around down there a minute or two, while Jr. looked down over the edge watching what was going on. At 4:54 am Mala made it up to the nest. These two sure put a smile on your face.
IMG_20220629_113545.jpg

Sue, Hello ! thanks for Ohio eagle/hawklet story. :hug:
Last edited by lovinnature on Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
H . "We are eagles of one nest. The nest is in our soul." Led Zeppelin (Ten Years Gone)

LazyParrot4

Post by LazyParrot4 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:37 am

:chin: Anyone hear from Vickie? She posted on her face book page that she would visit the nest site in 10-14 days. That was on June 13. Hope she is just resting and/or having a nice vacation somewhere.
Probably nothing much to report anyway. Am curious about the little hawk. Do they migrate like the eagles?

lovinnature

Post by lovinnature » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:45 am

Good morning LazyParrot.
This site will more than likely have the info you looking for. It is a very good site. Much information there about all kinds of birds. Hope it helps.
Tip: (bookmark it. May come in handy, sometime, for homework questions ! )
By the way, not all eagles migrate. H and M stay in Florida all year.

www.allaboutbirds.org.

Have a great day!

Suemac

Post by Suemac » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:24 am

:wave: Good morning everyone! Happy Wednesday!

MaryF- they seem to like the theory that a pair of hawks laid the egg in the nest before the eagles reclaimed the nest and then incubated the egg to hatch along with their own. I wonder what Dr. Sasse would have to say about that. :chin:

LazyParrot have not seen any posts from Vicki- just checked her page. I hope she is having a nice relaxing vacation too.

I visited a butterfly house at the Coastal Discovery Museum on HHI. https://www.coastaldiscovery.org/
So cool- they were fluttering all around me. Unlike birds with feathers, butterfly wings are scales
made of thin layers of proteins called "chitin" (vocab for today-it might be a jeopardy answer). :D
They have tubular veins that allows for oxygen exchange.
The tiny scales absorb heat from the light to regulate their body temperature. :)
monarch butterfly
IMG_4138.JPG
swallowtail
IMG_4130.JPG
swallowtail larva
IMG_4132.JPG
***lovinnature- glad you received your tablet. :hooray: 🎶 Happy Days are here again!
Native American Proverb

Grosbeak

Post by Grosbeak » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:47 am

Suemac wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:24 am
I visited a butterfly house at the Coastal Discovery Museum on HHI. https://www.coastaldiscovery.org/
So cool- they were fluttering all around me.
Monarchs are a really great study, Suemac. I recall watching a program about their annual trek from southern Mexico to Canada, They take a break at the Great Lakes to load up on milkweed before making the non-stop flight across the lakes. In 2014 they encountered high winds that carried them to Britain.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... outh-coast

LazyParrot4

Post by LazyParrot4 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:54 am

:wave: Suemac. Good for you! Those butterfly gardens are so interesting. There is one at Fairchild Gardens in Miami and one in Key West. Great places to see so many varieties as well as examples of life stages.

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”