CHAT-N-BOBBLE

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

LazyParrot4

Re: CHAT-N-BOBBLE

Post by LazyParrot4 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:24 am

:tea: Good morning everyone.
:wave: Peggy - good to see you pop in every once in a while. Do you have any pictures to show us?
:ty: Want to thank Pritchetts for leaving cameras on for a while. I'm sure they will have to take them down to protect from storms, but we will enjoy them as long as they are available. That Happy Appie horse sure loves pond--several "dips" every day.

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:47 am

Hi Lazy Parrot,

I wanted to share with you a word we learned from our chats, one of my favorite words from our eagle notes. I believe sam gave this one to us. I'm sorry I don't know the original source:

Phenology – (noun) the study of cyclic and seasonal natural phenomena, especially in relation to climate and plant and animal life.

Here's the first stage of the cycle for the eagles:
Establish territory and build nest (1-3 months): 
1) Select territory 
2) Defend territory against other eagles
3) Courtship and Mating 
4) Build or repair nest 
5) Chase away predators

This first stage of the cycle, establish territory and build nest, will start at the end of the summer H & M already have their territory and thankful the Pritchetts are sharing it with us too.

I was hoping to find a s'cap of the nest when it had a lawn of long grass before season 10 started, but can't find it. Instead I'll attach one of Vicki's photos of an adult bringing a branch to the nest.
SWFEC-2021-1102-Vicki's photo.jpeg
Adult Brings Branch November 22, 2022 - photo by wskrsnwings
SWFEC-2021-1102-Vicki's photo.jpeg (11.28 KiB) Viewed 826 times
:
Last edited by Peggy180 on Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best wishes,

Peggy :)
She/her

In loving memory of Ozzie & Harriet, “May you soar on eagle wings, high above the madness of the world."--Jonathan Lockwood Huie ❤️

lovinnature

Post by lovinnature » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:27 am

Morning Peggy. :wave: Thank you for the phenology word. I missed that in chat. Very interesting.
I'm sure I have a scap of pasture your looking for, but my tablet died (RIP), it will not charge anymore. I lost almost 12,000 screen shots. the past 7 years! So upset ! I can not access them ever again now :ohmy: . I ordered a new one which I may not be able to get for a week . I'm glad its off season time. Patiently, or in truth not so patiently waiting. ;)

Sue, hope the sun is shining brightly for you at HHI ! :sunny:
H . "We are eagles of one nest. The nest is in our soul." Led Zeppelin (Ten Years Gone)

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:52 am

YW and so sorry about your computer, lovinnature. Losing all of those s’caps is a real loss. I wish you could find a way to recover them. Maybe they’re in the ☁️ somewhere? :hug:

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:04 am

.lovinnature I'm not techy at all but I'm thinking there is a way to find those scaps! :puzz: I'm glad that you all enjoyed seeing the photo of David Hancock (white beard)

I found this article about the hawklet, Malala, in the nest with the eagle----

https://www.cheknews.ca/baby-hawk-snatc ... 50526/?amp
Member since July, 2006

LazyParrot4

Post by LazyParrot4 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:08 am

:donpan: Lovin---does your tablet not have a removable battery? If it were me, I would find some good computer repair shop and see if anything can be done to retrieve photos. Some of these computer whiz kids can do amazing things. I would not qualify though (not a whiz and not a kid) :D . Just don't panic and throw the thing in trash.

LazyParrot4

Post by LazyParrot4 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:16 am

Thanks for reminding me of word "phenology". Had long ago forgotten about that word.
The picture you posted with the beautiful pink sky is lovely and much appreciated.
:chin: When you mentioned high grass, were you talking about on ground or in nest?
Looks like Harriot and M will have to mow the nest before they restore the rails. E20 must have
sown grass or weed seeds before leaving and the rain is causing them to grow. Maybe seeds had attached to "his" feathers while he was playing in the pasture.

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:44 am

LazyParrot, I was talking about grass IN the nest at the end of season 9. First time I’d ever seen that. But if we watch long enough, I think almost anything is possible! 😉
Best wishes,

She/her

In loving memory of Ozzie & Harriet, “May you soar on eagle wings, high above the madness of the world."--Jonathan Lockwood Huie ❤️

Grosbeak

Post by Grosbeak » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:38 am

Happy Saturday!

Some of you will remember this Lady Hawk video. The Pond Princess and her sibling (E13) were bobbleheads at the time.

https://youtu.be/U35b2recqYU

Another example of the resourcefulness of Daddy Dash. :)

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:00 am

Hey Lovin’. I agrees with LazyParrot. Take it to a computer repair shop and I bet they can change out the battery/ port, force charge it, whatever to retrieve those photos. Computer GEEKS are great. Good Luck
AKA: Marianne

LazyParrot4

Post by LazyParrot4 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:38 am

Grosbeak--yep, never know what those 2 adults will bring in. Think for the past season, Harriot's "fried chicken" should get an award though. :clap:

lovinnature

Post by lovinnature » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:15 pm

Hello all ! Mary, KitCat, LazyParrot, Thanks for info. You guys/gals rock ! I did not loose the pictures or all the other stuff on my tablet. It just won't charge anymore, dead battery so will not turn on. First off non removable battery. Second, I have got new cables to charge, no deals. But I did not know they can change out the charging port for a new one !! I believe the port is the problem.
I'm was sitting here today thinking about E9 s'caps, all of E15 never ending s'caps, E20 :rh: and some really important sentimental personal stuff, that can never be replaced. I was trying to make peace with myself that they are never accessible again, but now, you all have given me hope !!

Mary, re: Hawklet. Thank you for that article. I had so many questions it answered. :D But I have one left. So there is only 1 eaglet in nest with hawklet right? Can not believe the hawklet was not punctured by the eagle's talons, when brought in. It was amazing to see on camera. I have seen some fish that H and M bring with big talon holes in them. That was a Luckly little one ! ( so I'm naming the Hawklet Lucky). I watched for some time last night and got to see a feeding, a big white bird. Hawklet tried to help adult eagle defeather it. It was so funny, and just too cute !
Thanks Eagle family for all your help ! :grhug: :rh:
H . "We are eagles of one nest. The nest is in our soul." Led Zeppelin (Ten Years Gone)

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:06 pm

Hey Lovinnature--David said that he was amazed that there were no injuries to the hawk either, He said that the hawk must have gone limp and the eagle just picked it up and that the hawk was just lucky. Yes there is just one eaglet. There were 2 eggs and they both hatched but something was wrong with the second one and Mom didn't feed it and it passed.

Here is a scap of JR flapping those big wings next to Malala.
GROWL   wings behind  Malala  6-18-22.jpg
Malala
GROWL   Malala   6-18-22.jpg
And finally---Malala and JR :D
GROWL   Malala+JR   6-18-22.jpg

Member since July, 2006

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:28 am

Just want to say this thing with the hawklet is pretty amazing. Wouldn’t it have to have been deliberate on the part of the eagle, not to hurt the hawklet in transit?
Best wishes,

She/her

lovinnature

Post by lovinnature » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:08 am

Happy Father's Day!! To all you out there in eagle nation. And HFD to the best eagle dad we know M15 !! :rh: (Now you have to imagine a s'cap of M, because here is where I would normally post a s'cap of M and his beautiful eyes. ;) Just for you Sue).

Mary thank you!! :hug: Right now, I have another screen up with Jr. and Malala. They both appear to be waiting for breakfast. I can HEAR an Owl hooting close by, a Cardinal and Chickadee chirping, and a dragon fly wiz by. That is some Great sound on that camera.
Last edited by lovinnature on Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”