CHAT-N-BOBBLE

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

Peggy180

Re: CHAT-N-BOBBLE

Post by Peggy180 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:28 pm

I don’t think I can sleep after this, grosbeak! LOL
:puzz:
Best wishes,

Peggy :)
She/her

In loving memory of Ozzie & Harriet, “May you soar on eagle wings, high above the madness of the world."--Jonathan Lockwood Huie ❤️

Grosbeak

Post by Grosbeak » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:49 pm

LOL, Peggy. :D

Funny, I fell asleep while trying to close the last entry. After forty winks it came to me that the site didn't intend for me to close it. Don't ask me why --- they don't even know me. :(

lovinnature

Post by lovinnature » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:03 am

Hello Grosbeak, Peggy. yes I also saw the "New" word on chat. Much debate for sure. I believe Ginny posted the information. So we have to trust her!! There was a discussion about" spell check" changes 'HORALTIC' to 'HERALDIC'. I also was using the former word.
Doing some investigating myself, This is what I gather. Right or wrong ?? Here we go.
Heraldic is a symbol of the pose. As in, an Eagle coat of arms symbol. (NOUN).
Horaltic, The act of/pose of a "vulture" (why not an Eagle??) is defined as horaltic. (VERB).
In conclusion I just clicked and added HORALTIC to my spellcheck dictionary. Problem solved :dunno:
You decide :D
It sure is funny how we all started out, to just watch a live camera of a bird, in a tree; AKA; H & M ( dickpritchettrealestate.com )
The ride had begun ! We didn't realize we were going back to school :mihihi: So much to learn! Thank you mods!
Have a great one chat-n-bobble peeps :bye 1:
H . "We are eagles of one nest. The nest is in our soul." Led Zeppelin (Ten Years Gone)

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:27 am

Hi again lovinnature and grosbeak,

Haven’t had time to do “ proper” research but found this discussion interesting:
https://rec.birds.narkive.com/WoEbL6Va/horaltic

With horaltic, root of the word being “hor” which is related to the hours of the day, the term could be that the wings in that pose are like the hands on a clock and really not related in meaning to “heraldic” which might have been an incorrect, later spelling and/or interpretation of the real, original term? Just a thought.

Why they only refer to vultures is beyond me. Vicki mentioned in one of her videos that vultures are not aggressive birds and since then I’ve liked them more. They really do a necessary clean-up and their circling looking for carrion does not mean they are actually looking to kill anything. So they may have an un-deserved bad rep.

Stay warm and have a good day 🙂
Best wishes,

She/her

In loving memory of Ozzie & Harriet, “May you soar on eagle wings, high above the madness of the world."--Jonathan Lockwood Huie ❤️

Grosbeak

Post by Grosbeak » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:19 pm

Hi Peggy & Lovin -- At least I've learned one thing: To be mumpsimus or not to be sumpsimus amounts to the same thing.

Looked at the French -- "Urubu à tête rouge en pose horaltique" = "Turkey Vulture in horaltic pose."
The French provided this site -- https://pixels.com/featured/vulture-hor ... denti.html

And in Spanish -- "Buitre de Turquía en pose horáltica" = Turkey Vulture in horaltic pose. And the Spanish provided the following site.

https://naturetrack.org/wp-content/uplo ... urquia.pdf

Oh, and the Spanish search asked: "Did you mean: Buitre de Turquía en pose heráldica?" i.e., the vulture in the heraldic pose.

All online encyclopedias and dictionaries I've consulted have asked if I meant heraldic pose. Consulting ornithological and other scientific sites with "horaltic pose", without exception they come up with "Turkey Vulture."

In summation: H & M may well go flying with the vultures in order to purloin their haul, but far as I can recall, they have yet to produce a single vulturet. :dunno: :%:

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:44 pm

Ok I think I sort of get this. Eagles are used as a symbol in heraldry and are often depicted in a horaltic pose. So when people say heraldic pose that is probably why that term developed. I personally now believe the “real” name of the pose itself is horaltic, but it is like the heraldic symbol of an Eagle in that pose that people often associate with eagles. Does that make any sense?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_(heraldry)

So, Harriet’s off the hook and has not been bonding with any vultures. 😆
Best wishes,

She/her

Grosbeak

Post by Grosbeak » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:36 pm

Good for you, Peggy. I'm adrift in a sea of uncertainty --- "Is horaltic even a word?' Is horaltic a misspeak for heraldic?" 'Of course horaltic is a word - it refers to turkey vultures." etc. etc.

From the Big Bear nest --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Tc1OXDQhM

From a Tennessee blogger --- http://thegreenbelt.blogspot.com/2006/1 ... tures.html
(Note the correction in pink and the 5 reader comments.)

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:56 pm

Ok grosbeak. I think I was WRONG!!! Well, horaltic does not really appear in the dictionary and it looks very much like it has traveled down the years as a mispronounced version of heraldic. So, maybe one day someone will add it to a dictionary since it has so much usage among vulture and Eagle people so the mispronounced word became a word of its own.

Leaving myself open in case anyone can find any proof that it’s a “real” word, but like “ain’t” I guess people can use it enough to make it into something real. Aaargh lol :dunno:
Best wishes,

She/her

Grosbeak

Post by Grosbeak » Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:44 pm

Perhaps I see your point, Peggy. :D

The following headline is from The NY Times, June 13, 2019.

How to, Maybe, Be Less Indecisive (or Not)
Spend less time agonizing and more time enjoying.

That may or mayn't seem a worthwhile study to me, but then should I give a fig one way or another?

As for giving figs: Erasmus, in a letter to Henry VIII in 1523, cried, “Who gives a fig for those puzzling precepts of Pythagoras?”

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:07 pm

But, grosbeak, the agonizing is so much fun! LOL
Have a :nite:
Best wishes,

She/her

lovinnature

Post by lovinnature » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:51 pm

Hello Peggy, Grosebeak,
Ok Peggy, I like the way you worded your post "I understand now". It made sense to me. But then it's all back to is horaltic a real word?? And why is it only associated with vultures?? Never an eagle. Where the word origin came from may be the issue. As bald eagles are only found in the United States. Which in time became a national symbol for America. Maybe somewhere down the line, a wise person decided to use "heraldic" to refer to an American eagle's pose. Or it just began being spelled that way, in English, for some reason. From what I understand, our American language is a very strange thing compared to other languages. Very difficult. But then again I only speak English. ;)

I propose; however we spell it, eagle nation does know and understand what we mean. Whether it is correct grammar or not.

I also think H & M deserve their own special word anyway, HERALDIC. Because they are so special. :rh: It is a blessed treat that the Pritchett family and their eagles have given us to learn so much.

(Thanks for the links. Was interesting, but did it really help ?) :donpan:

In conclusion; I think we all get a "free pass" on whatever way we spell it.

Thanks bobble peeps for great stimulating "conversation". My mind really enjoys it :D
:bye 1:
H . "We are eagles of one nest. The nest is in our soul." Led Zeppelin (Ten Years Gone)

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:22 am

Hi lovinnature,

Exactly as you say it was a fun romp to think about the word and I’m also so grateful for the Pritchetts, all the team at SWFEC, all our fellow viewers, and the forum team for giving us all this to learn and share with each other. Just so fascinated with the eagles and everything they teach us every day. I’ll take the “h” word any way it comes like that old song “you say horaltic and I say heraldic” :%:
Best wishes,

She/her

Grosbeak

Post by Grosbeak » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:51 am

Peggy180 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:22 am
I’ll take the “h” word any way it comes like that old song “you say horaltic and I say heraldic” :%:
Exactamente! Peggy & Lovinnature. ♪♪♫ "Let's call the whole thing off." ♫♪♪

I don't believe Jackie at the Big Bear, CA Nest doing her "horaltic pose" or any other eagle, vulture or owl on the planet gives a hoot what the whole tribe of Hominidae spying on them claim that they (i.e., the birds) are doing.

But it's fun to speculate, innit? :D

Grosbeak

Post by Grosbeak » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:26 pm

The following link is to a clip from a film Gifts of an Eagle produced by Kent Durden in 1975.

https://youtu.be/9oLMH1rfNLE

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:47 pm

Thanks again, grosbeak! I really enjoyed this one too. Beautiful story. ❤️🦅
Best wishes,

She/her

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”