CHAT-N-BOBBLE

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

LazyParrot4

Re: CHAT-N-BOBBLE

Post by LazyParrot4 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:26 am

Yes, Suemac eagles everywhere. But for how long can they stay when everything is frozen?
Thanks for getting some interesting s'caps this morning. :D
Hello Peggy---had to run to appointment earlier today so didn't note everyone's presence. Sorry.
MRF freezing over near cameras 12-5-2022.jpg
Water freezing near cameras on MRFW 12-5-2022

lovinnature

Post by lovinnature » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:26 am

Hello everyone ! Happy Monday !
Not suppose to, but just doing a quick post. SHHH don't' tell anyone.
LP, I have a answer to your ice sheet question.
Your s'cap was likely because there was just a thin layer of ice on the water.
It is beautiful. (your s'cap) Looks like wings.
Screenshot (3860).png
Ice shoves occur when wind and currents push free-floating ice. The first slabs or blocks of ice will slow down once reaching land, creating a traffic jam of ice piling behind and on top.
If we get early spring thaws and the wind coming from the East, it is bad, It will take out a house and anything in it's way.
The ice shoves are very mesmerizing but scary !
Check put these links.

https://twitter.com/usatoday/status/1490489738339311616
https://www.google.com/search?q=ice+sho ... 6uOKsAo_44

You all have a great day !
:bye 1:
H . "We are eagles of one nest. The nest is in our soul." Led Zeppelin (Ten Years Gone)

lovinnature

Post by lovinnature » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:29 am

Our eagle stay all winter when the ice is frozen. They don't mind.
I'll post more in the future about that.
H . "We are eagles of one nest. The nest is in our soul." Led Zeppelin (Ten Years Gone)

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:08 pm

LazyParrot4 wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:26 am

Hello Peggy---had to run to appointment earlier today so didn't note everyone's presence. Sorry.
No worries, LP! 🙂
Best wishes,

Peggy :)
She/her

In loving memory of Ozzie & Harriet, “May you soar on eagle wings, high above the madness of the world."--Jonathan Lockwood Huie ❤️

LazyParrot4

Post by LazyParrot4 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:42 pm

:hlp: :hlp: I was just on the live cam site about an hour ago and there were no problems. Now Firefox notification says not secure website and a danger and it will not connect to it. Is anyone else having this problem?
When I go to advance I get the following message:
Websites prove their identity via certificates, which are valid for a set time period. The certificate for dickpritchettrealestate.com expired on 12/5/2022.

Laura G.

Post by Laura G. » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:43 pm

Sorry, missed the greeting :bye 1: from Suemac a few days ago. Hi to you, too. And thank you so much for the forum link. And thank you for your suggestion, too, lovinnature.

Thank you for your greeting, Peggy180. Good to be back, but oh god, I said I was just going to WATCH these eagles this season and not spend a bunch of time taking s'caps. Well, that hasn't happened. And I keep an eye (and phone camera) on 6 total bald eagle sites: this one, Decorah North, Duke Farms in NJ, 2 on Catalina Island and 1 on Santa Cruz Island. Haven't looked super recently, but last I was notified (from what I think I remember) Victor, the eaglet that was rescued from the Santa Cruz nest last season, was still recovering at the Ojai Raptor Center. He had been moved to a larger enclosure, but I think he was moved back. Or was that another bird there whose wing they were watching?

LP, thank you for the "connection." I saw your message in both fora (That's a word. 🙂). I "arrived" back at the nest Nov 18, so not a WHOLE other month to review. 😁

Did I miss anyone? I feel like such a doofus when I do.

Peggy180

Post by Peggy180 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:46 pm

I have often had those warning messages from the site. I’m not sure why. I’m going to check now from my phone. Ok also getting a warning again about this being an untrusted site. Having a web site is very complicated.
Best wishes,

Peggy :)
She/her

In loving memory of Ozzie & Harriet, “May you soar on eagle wings, high above the madness of the world."--Jonathan Lockwood Huie ❤️

Laura G.

Post by Laura G. » Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:48 pm

Found this in an August email:

"The Bald Eagle patient from Santa Cruz Island who is suffering from zinc toxicosis is also making strides! This week, the patient proved strong enough to move to a small outdoor enclosure for the next stage of rehabilitation. Click here to watch the video.

"The eaglet was also given a fish and ate unassisted for the first time since arriving on July 11. Click here for video. Prior to this week's milestone, the patient had been hand fed by ORC staff."

lovinnature

Post by lovinnature » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:06 pm

Hello everyone !
Update: Pritchett site issues
9:55 pm. I am able to get in the Pritchett site now. I boldly logged back out, just to make sure.
And was able to get right back in !!!! :woohoo:

:ty: Pritchett family for the many blessing you have given us to watch these beautiful eagles ! :hug:

Laura G.

Post by Laura G. » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:48 pm

OK, so I got absorbed in the Decorah North nest today. First, I thought it was an adult w/ 1...no 2...no 3 juveniles. But that band over the eyes of what I thought was an adult I'm thinking is an older juvenile. I kept thinking that eye band was like one of those "to protect the identity" black rectangles. Like, hi ho, the Lone Eagle...

Anyone care to weigh in and say if you've ever seen a collection of young eagles hanging out like this? Last year there were 2 eaglets, so I don't know if those 3 that look the same are in the same cohort of a different year or are from somewhere else or what.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221205-172708.png
Screenshot_20221205-203140.png
Screenshot_20221205-201835.png

Suemac

Post by Suemac » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:42 am

:wave: :coffee2: Good morning! Happy St. Nicholas Day!
I checked my shoes this morning- they were empty. :(
15104-saint-nicholas-ccom.jpg
SAINT NICHOLAS DAY
On December 6th, Saint Nicholas Day recognizes the third-century saint who became an inspiration for the modern-day Santa Claus.

#StNicholasDay
St. Nicholas is known for selling all his possessions and giving his money to the poor. Raised as a devout Christian, St. Nicholas dedicated his whole life to serving the sick and suffering.

Legendary stories about St. Nicholas later become part of the inspiration for the modern-day Santa Claus. For example, during the third century, a daughter’s chances of marriage increased when her father offered a large dowry to prospective husbands. One story tells of a poor father with three daughters. He had no dowry to offer.

Traditionally, families left their shoes by the fires at night so that they could dry. On three separate occasions, Ol’ St. Nicholas provided a dowry for each girl. Legend says he made gold appear in their shoes, drying by the fire.

While St. Nicholas Day is not to be confused with Christmas, some similarities do exist. Traditions include leaving gifts in shoes (or stockings) or the exchange of small gifts. Another tradition suggests leaving treats for good boys and girls. However, the naughty ones receive a twig or chunk of coal.

Interesting facts associated with St. Nicholas:

He is the patron saint of a great many causes. Some of the causes include sailors, travelers, clergy, school children, and thieves, to name a few.
He was born in the village of Patar, located on the southeastern coast of modern-day Turkey.
Buried in a tomb in Myra, water believed to have healing powers formed in his grave. It is called the Manna of Saint Nicholas.
December 6th is also known as The Feast of St. Nicholas, widely celebrated in Europe.
HOW TO OBSERVE ST. NICHOLAS DAY
Incorporate some Saint Nicholas Day traditions into your holiday season. Slip a gift or surprise into someone’s shoe. It doesn’t have to be anything elaborate.

You could leave a special note or a small wrapped piece of chocolate.
Leave a coin or an ornament for the tree.
Tuck a stress ball or a new pair of socks into a loved one’s pair of shoes.
A fun air freshener or small bath bomb are two more fun gifts to sneak into a pair of shoes.
Share the story of St. Nicholas. Use #StNicholasDay to post on social media.

ST. NICHOLAS DAY HISTORY
St. Nicholas Day is celebrated worldwide on the anniversary of his death, December 6th.

St. Nicholas FAQ

Q. Where was St. Nicholas born?
A. The Christian bishop was born in Patara, Turkey on March 15, 270 AD.

Q. Is St. Nicholas also Santa Claus?
A. No. St. Nicholas inspired the idea of Santa Claus. The Dutch word Sinterklaas is also linked to the history of Santa Claus.
"Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you."
Native American Proverb

Harriet gone, yet not forgotten. Forever in our hearts. :brknhrt:

Suemac

Post by Suemac » Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:52 am

Morning colors:
Mississippi River Flyway Cam:
Screenshot 2022-12-06 082910.jpg
Great Spirit Bluff Peregrine Falcon Cam:
Screenshot 2022-12-06 083101.jpg
Eagles perched along the Mississippi River Flyway Cam:
Screenshot 2022-12-06 085429.jpg
Native American Proverb

Suemac

Post by Suemac » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:19 am

It is also National Gazpacho Day- a classical Spanish soup served with a variety of vegetables
in a chilled tomato base. It is usually served in summer- don't ask me why they celebrate it in December.
Grosbeak would like this soup.
istockphoto-1317951960-612x612.jpg
Try it! You might like it! (My Mom used to tell me this all the time :yes: )
gettyimages-1153436663-612x612.jpg
Last edited by Suemac on Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Native American Proverb

Suemac

Post by Suemac » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:05 am

Laura G. wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:48 pm
Found this in an August email:

"The Bald Eagle patient from Santa Cruz Island who is suffering from zinc toxicosis is also making strides! This week, the patient proved strong enough to move to a small outdoor enclosure for the next stage of rehabilitation. Click here to watch the video.
Laura, Victor was released on Sept 19, 2022 in California on a ranch that was not far from Santa Cruz Island. I didn’t know if you were aware or not.

"The eaglet was also given a fish and ate unassisted for the first time since arriving on July 11. Click here for video. Prior to this week's milestone, the patient had been hand fed by ORC staff."
Native American Proverb

lovinnature

Post by lovinnature » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:18 am

Good morning all ! Happy Tuesday !

Sue :wave: thank you for the St. Nicholas story. I ran to check my shoes too ! But nothing was in them, except a little odor. ;)
Gazpacho looks good. TY.
Hello Sunnybird, LP, and Peggy. So happy we got the Pritchett site back !! I'm glad it wasn't just me !

Today's Astronomy Lesson...
Full Moon tonight. 11:08 pm It is called the Cold Moon. Imagine that ? Correctiom !! See below post
Artemis 1 Mission, Orion Spacecraft is on it's way home.
Screenshot (3871).png
Orion did a flyby of the Moon again and is on it's way back to Earth. The Moon up-close and the Earth is a crescent.
Screenshot (3872).png
All s'caps © NASA

Splashdown is scheduled for Sunday December 11, 2022. expected to be 12:40 pm. in the Pacific Ocean,
Live coverage begins at 11 am.
https://www.nasa.gov/

Have great day everyone !
:bye 1:
Last edited by lovinnature on Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”