In Memoriam

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

Iona

Re: In Memoriam

Post by Iona » Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:36 am

What a beautiful tribute to our beloved Harriet. :cry1:

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:39 am

SWFL Eagles ~ Harriet's LOVE ❤️ Her Last Perfect Heraldic Pose ❤️ Hugging You All!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koDvFKK8f5c
By sperantaexista1

23 juil. 2023
Fly high and free forever, Harriet! We love you!
Recorded on February, 1; one day before her disappearance.
Video captured & edited by sperantaexista1.

Southwest Florida Eagles. Link to Southwest Florida Eagle Cam:
https://dickpritchettrealestate.com/

02-01-2023
2023-07-23_16h33_53.jpg
©sperantaexista1
2023-07-23_16h32_40.jpg
©sperantaexista1
2023-07-23_16h34_34.jpg
©sperantaexista1

:cry1: :brknhrt: 🙏
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:59 am

RIP 2023

07-22-2023. From the Surrey Reserve Nest, British Columbia, Canada. Bald eaglet, SR8 "TYR" .

SR8 "Tyr" (the Norse god of courage), °05-02-2023 - 07-22-2023 during the night 81 do.

Mom Brit and Dad Rey's younger eaglet. 1 day younger than his sibling, SR7 "Lof", (old Norse word for praise or glory)

:rh: :rh: :cry1: :brknhrt:

Possible injury: June 3, 11:05 am - observers noticed that SR8 was having difficulty moving around the nest
viewtopic.php?p=607972#p607972

Oops: July 19, 1:25 pm - Lof accidentally knocked Tyr off the nest while practicing flapping; Tyr was quickly rescued and is now at OWL Rehab
:vid: Tyr Falls from the Nest (2:41)

David with Tyr :luck: :rh: "Tyr is very thin and emaciated so we will need someone to look at him and access the situation..."
JudyB "I spoke with David Hancock a few minutes ago. Tyr is now at OWL, and their initial assessment showed that he had a lot of lice (not unusual) - and was one of the thinnest birds they have ever seen. He's absolutely in the best possible place right now - and I'm afraid that there are no guarantees at this point. Staying optimistic, I don't know how long it will take before he responds to whatever they are giving him for hydration and whatever else they provide initially to seriously undernourished young eagles - maybe by morning?"

Video taken at OWL
:vid: Tyr at OWL - part 1
:vid: Tyr at OWL - part 2
:vid: Tyr at OWL - part 3

07-20-2023 13h43 from CC398: I do have an update on sweet Tyr. I spoke with Rob from OWL earlier and he told me that Tyr made it through the night, but he's in bad shape with a serious shoulder injury. They are doing everything they can for him. I know you are all keeping him in your thoughts. :luck: :rh:

Sad News: July 22 - Rob at OWL let us know that Tyr passed away during the night

And finally the terrible news came at 11h31 viewtopic.php?p=689719#p689719
JudyB: " I'm afraid I have sad news - I've heard back from Rob at OWL, and Tyr didn't make it. :cry1:
He weighed 1560gm or 3.4 pounds at intake - looking at elfruler's chart, that's what he should have weighed at 3 weeks old. David told me that Rob said he didn't remember ever seeing a bird this thin that recovered - but both David and I are optimists, and were hoping that Tyr would beat the odds.
I'll look up at the sky tonight - I think there will be a bright new star, keeping watch over Lof, and Brit and Rey, and maybe sort-of-sibling Loki.
Fly free and far, Tyr - you were so strong and so courageous - if only that was enough. :grhug:
Added - I wrote back to ask Rob when he died, and Rob said he was found dead this morning. He was a feisty fighter until the end. :brknhrt:

Even if i didn't know you, †Tyr†, now, 3 days later, i can't stop the flow of my tears ... like yesterday when i began this post :cryhanky: :cryhanky: :cryhanky:

CC398 (Merci for these 3 magnific photos) posted 3 marvellous pics of you, feisty little one, here they are covering almost your so short life, dear †Tyr† :brknhrt:

All an eaglet life in front of you dear Tyr
2023-07-25_10h54_43.jpg
©CC398
I'm sure you are the little right one, Tyr.
2023-07-25_10h55_02.jpg
©CC398
There, you were entering your last week, so sorry and sad for you, Tyr.
2023-07-25_10h55_50.jpg
©CC398

:cry1: :brknhrt: :( :cryhanky:

What I'm sure of now, wherever he is, †Tyr†'s soul is in 🙏 the hands of God, his true father 🙏.

†Tyr† was also very well surrounded by all the little guys which perished before him and as it happened during the night he was able to leave with serenity, far from all that stress caused by those many people who invaded his new world. But this is always a terrible end for such a young bird.

RIP beautiful and precious †Tyr† as it was Gods's choice to allow you to enter HIS mystery :cry1: :brknhrt: 🙏
In that case, †Tyr†, you offered us some magnific moments of life between your hatcling and the day you felt down from your nest with your dynamic interaction with Mom, Dad and Lof. It was a real pleasure to follow you.

During your last night, †Tyr† like an Angel, you unzipped your feathered down coat and your soul flew away to the Heavens where you were welcome, i'm sure by all the bald eaglets who shared the same fate as you, leaving us alone so early. May be you were welcome by some of your family older members :luck: . 🙏 😭💔

Now you are flying among the stars, marvellous †Tyr†. :rh: 🙏

†Tyr†, of course you have a special place in our heart forever... :rh:

†Tyr†, Fly high and freely and protect your family, Mom Brit, Dad Rey and Lof your older sibling. Do not forget us too as we will need your help too to spent this hard moment without you. Don't forget also, God has certainly a new and beautiful mission for you . :luck: . :rh:

Dear †Tyr†, i hope you didn't suffer too much during your last moment as you were under medication. Now you are a free soaring bald eagle with a full crop forever and will never be alone. 😢 RIP Tyr 🙏

🙏 †Tyr† 🙏 :cry1: :brknhrt:

Eagles, Ospreys, Falcons, Hawks, Owls, Condors, Raptors and Others

In Memory of:

RIP 14 birds, (1 adult and 13 youngs).
†SE29†, 164 do, Sea Eaglet from Olympic Stadium Sea Eagle nest, Sydney, AUS. †January 01.--- †CM2† aka "Phoenix", 42 do Bald eaglet from Camp Margaritaville RV Resort Auburndale Eagle Nest, FL. †March 03.--- †SCIEZ†, 1 yo, White Tail Eagle Sciez, Les Aigles du Léman, France. †April 01. --- †DH1† aka Decorah Hatchery #1, a few hours old Bald Eaglet from Decorah Hatchery, Iowa. †April 05.--- †DH19†, 32 do, Bald Eaglet from Dale Hollow, Tennessee. †April 08. --- †D36†, 3 years and~22? do, Bald Eagle from Decorah nest, Iowa. †May 02?. --- †DH18†, 61 do, 2 months old Bald Eaglet from Dale Hollow, Tennessee. †May 03. --- †Savanna†, 4 yo, Peregrine Falcon from Great Spirit Bluff Falcons La Crescent, Minnesota. †June 12. Plus her four falconnets (Thomas, Kami, †Alice, Jaycie) from 06-24 to 06-29.--- †Tuffy2†, ~2 mo, Red Tailed Hawklet, Bay Area, Santa Clara County, North California. †July 05. around 2 months old female RTH who shared the nest of Lola and her bald eagle family during 6 wks and half.--- †Tyr†, 81 do, bald eaglet, from the Surrey Reserve Nest, British Columbia, Ca. Mom Brit and Dad Rey's younger beloved eaglet and Lof's beloved sibling.---

MIA 4 bird, (3 adult and 1 young).
Harriet, Bald Eagle, Queen Mom from SWFEC, Fort Myers, Florida. 02 February 2023.---PLO#1 aka Zoe Juvie Osprey, Sibling of Little and Middle Bob, Mom and Dad's beloved daughter at Port Lincoln Osprey barge nest, Aus. 08 February 2023.--- Mom ND Bald Eagle, Queen Mom from Notre Dame Leef at St. Patrick's County Park, Indiana. 15 February 2023.--- Dad Obey Bald Eagle, King Dad from Dale Hollow, Tennesse. 28 March 2023.---

Unhatched Eggs: (15)
CIegg#2 non-viable (1/2) at Captiva Island.---BCegg#2 non viable (1/2) At Berry College.---SSCegg#1, SSCegg#2, SSCegg#3, SSCegg#4, SSCegg#5, SSCegg#6, SSCegg#7 or #8 each broken the day they were laid or just the day after, SSCegg#8 or #8 (8/8) at Sauces Santa Cruz Island.---Regg#1 first clutch cracked, Regg#2 Second clutch non viable, broken during hatch watch. (2/2) at Redding Ca.---BBegg#1 and BBegg#2 non viable, let alone too much time during freezing period (2/2) at Big Bear Valley Nest Cam Ca.--- MNdnrEgg1 broken. (1/2) at Minnesota Nongame DNR.--- DNEgg broken. (1/1) at Decorah North, Iowa.---

Without Past, there is no Future !

To all of you, Fly Free, Fly High with always a full Crop and don't forget all of you,
You will never be alone, You will live for the Eternity in our Heart.

25 July 2023

Another 1 more stab wounds straight to the :rh: heart. I thought that afterwards we removed them and that there was no trace of them but in fact they continue to accumulate... :brknhrt: :brknhrt: :brknhrt:

By dint of enduring and sharing these pains, these sorrows, this sadness and all these tears with all our little feathered friends, young or old, for that matter, maybe one day I will have to withdraw completely for an indefinite period because that season has been particularly terrible despite some wonderful and happy successes.

It is possible that I scatter a little too much in the different nests or there is a real hecatomb this year in terms of the survival of the chicks. Considering what I read in the various forums, I think more for the hecatomb.
Last edited by Philjo56France on Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:56 am

Thank you Philjo for posting the beautiful memorium for Tyr. Such a beautiful and feisty eaglet who's life was cut way too short. Soar high and free little one and may your crop always be full. :brknhrt:
AKA: Marianne

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:38 am

RIP 2023

Tyr 2

07-22-2023. From the Surrey Reserve Nest, British Columbia, Ca. Bald eaglet, SR8 "TYR" .

SR8 "Tyr" (the Norse god of courage), °05-02-2023 - 07-22-2023 during the night 81 do.

Mom Brit and Dad Rey's younger eaglet. 1 day younger than his sibling, SR7 "Lof", (old Norse word for praise or glory)

Pics i found on the Surrey Nest Thread

Just after the fall drom the nest
almost your last pics Tyr
David found you and with love drove you to OWL
2023-07-24_11h42_21Lani.jpg
©Lani
2023-07-24_11h57_24Lani.jpg
©Lani
2023-07-24_11h35_19.jpg
At OWL may be

And so many messages i found in your thread, all were concerning the love people have for you and forever, wherever you are now. :rh: :grhug:

[b]JudyB[/b]: I'll look up at the sky tonight - I think there will be a bright new star, keeping watch over Lof, and Brit and Rey, and maybe sort-of-sibling Loki. Fly free and far, Tyr - you were so strong and so courageous - if only that was enough.

CC398: Fly free and strong forever Tyr, the feistiest little Eaglet that lived up to his name. I will never forget you :brknhrt:

joancm: So sad! :cry1: :rh: :brknhrt: :brknhrt:

Mary: I am heartbroken and in tears. So sad that Tyr got so little food to weigh that much. Fly high feisty Tyr. You will always be remembered in my heart. :brknhrt:

Sandy_W: Needless to say, my heart is broken with this sad news. Our special Tyr was a fighter from the first day he was hatched. And thus his name, Tyr ... named for the Norse god of courage. Fly high and soar with the winds, sweet one.

Linuxgw2: Oh no, no..My heart is broken for our sweet tyr..My tears will not stop flowing for our beloved sweet tyr. Breaks my heart he was alone when he passed, that is the human in me..I know OWL did everything they could for sweet tyr, but some things are not meant to be no matter how hard we try to save them..
He was such a little fighter on the nest, such courage to overcome his obstacles early on, his feisty attitude, I may be small but I have shoulders of a big eaglet...
Our sweet tyr will wear his badge of Courage and his never ending strength!! His name fit him well, Tyr-God of Courage!!
Tyr gave his all to us while God let him be a apart of our world and he taught so much in his sweet brief life here on God's earth!
May you soar on the endless skys above, Spread those beautiful big wings you have and soar, soar , soar!!
We have to be thankful, tyr did not pass on the nest, he was surrounded with so much love and care in his days end and we
have to keep that with solice in our hearts, his frail body was just too tired to carry on.. But his presence will last a life time in our Hearts here at Surrey!!!

Sandy: Oh my. Such devastating news to hear about Tyr. I am heartbroken.
I cannot believe Tyr only weighed in at 3.4 pounds. The poor sod must have been starving to death and just hanging on for dear life.
The will to live is strong but I guess there is a point where even the will fades from your eyes. Such a sin.....
What a shame. What a crying shame. People certainly tried to save Tyr and I thank everyone for doing their part.
No doubt Mother Nature shed a tear last night. :( Words cannot explain how I feel.

Jean: 12:46pm..........Such sad news today. I guess we shouldn't be surprised considering the conditions he was found to be in upon intake at OWL. It sure seems that he just didn't thrive from the get go but because of his strong spirit he hid it well..
No matter how many times we see sadness such as this it doesn't get any easier. :cry1:
:cry1: Fly free forever Tyr. You were much loved. :rh:

Youngrichone: I am devastated I don’t even know what to write

CTT: I’m devastated to hear about Tyr. Such a feisty soul. I pray his passing was peaceful and he is now soaring above us with a forever full crop ❤️

Kitcat11848: I just want to say how sorry I am to read of Tyr’s passing. Such a sweet yet feisty little eaglet and they will be sorely missed by all us humans. Soar high and free little Tyr and may your crop always be full. :grhug:

Ondabebe: My heart is broken at Tyr's passing but now Tyr you can rest and find peace. You will be missed and not forgotten as the little feisty one that overcame so much. You brought joy to all of us and kept Lof company for all these months. Lof will now fly for both of you. :brknhrt:
Last edited by Philjo56France on Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:43 am

RIP 2023

Tyr 3

07-22-2023. From the Surrey Reserve Nest, British Columbia, Ca. Bald eaglet, SR8 "TYR" .

A beautiful video by Youngrichone, merci for that

https://youtube.com/shorts/FhQRQzwrAbk?feature=share
Just a little visit from all of us here on the forums, HWF , OWL and beyond to honor the Journey Tyr took us on Rest well my love we miss you 🦅 Thanks for letting me share
Pic from the video
2023-07-25_11h36_23.jpg
©Youngrichone
+ 2 pics shared by Sandy_W

The beautyful Tyr
2023-07-25_11h21_37Sandy_W.jpg
©Sandy_W
2023-07-25_11h22_18Sandy_W.jpg
©Sandy_W

and just for you Tyr,

Vole → traduction en anglais

FLY by Celine Dion

Fly, fly little wing
My sweet, my swallow
Go far, go in peace
Let nothing here hold you back
Join the heavens and freedom
Leave us, leave the earth
Leave your unhappy exterior
Change your world.

Fly, fly little sister
Fly my angel, my pain
Leave your body and us
So your suffering finally ends.

Go rejoin the other shore
The one of flowers and laughter
The one you yearned for so much
Your life from childhood

Fly, fly my love
Since what is ours is too burdensome
Since nothing relieves you
Fly to your last journey
Leave your exhausted hours
Fly, you deserve it
Become a breath, become a dove
So you can fly away

Fly, Fly little flame
Fly my angel, my soul
Leave your skin of unhappiness
Go find the light
https://lyricstranslate.com/fr/vole-fly.html
Last edited by Philjo56France on Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:10 am

Thank you, Philjo, for your lovely tribute to our small but feisty and fierce young eagle Tyr.

Hugs. :grhug:

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:52 am

TY so much PHiljio

Migs to you :grhug:

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:32 am

RIP 2023

07-05-2023. Bay Area, Santa Clara County, North California. an around 2 months old Red Tailed Hawk, Tuffy2 .

:rh: Tuffy2, an around 2 months old Red Tailed Hawk, was torn from its nest on May 20 to serve as food for Lola an eaglet. In fact the hawklet was “adopted” by a family of bald eagles. he spent 6 wks and half with the members of her new family. the 5 of july, in the morning, :rh: Tuffy2 was found dead at the foot of the oak where she spent her last night in :cry1: :brknhrt:
A necropsy will be performed.

From https://www.facebook.com/CraigRaptorRescue
https://www.facebook.com/CraigRaptorRes ... k0NTg4MjM4

TUFFY2
2023-07-10_11h11_29.jpg
©Jann Nichols PHOTOGRAPHY

RED-TAIL NECROPSY RESULTS
I received a digital report of the results of the necropsy conducted by the Wildlife Health Laboratory, California Department of Fish & Wildlife, on the remains of the fledgling Red-Tailed Hawk (“Tuffy2”) taken as a nestling by Bald Eagles and raised in their San Jose nest.
For those who want to read the backstory, links to news articles are posted in the comments.
I am not authorized to publish or distribute copies of the report. Those who have questions, or want to see the report should contact CDFW Public Affairs Officer Ken Paglia ([email protected]).
I have summarized the findings in the first comment. They are clinical and perhaps not something everyone will want to read. Use your judgment. I also hope that people will be able to balance their empathy for the hawk and the pathos of its demise, with an understanding that this is raw nature. Anthropomorphizing the behavior of wild animals, and trying to apply human consciousness and morality to those actions, aren’t helpful in understanding what happened here.
I also wanted to thank all of you who followed the story, and those who donated to Bay Raptor Rescue in support of our work helping Raptors in distress. I wish with all my heart, when the hawk moved far enough from the nest and it became it legal to attempt her capture, that it wasn’t too late to help her. Unfortunately, it was.

Bay Raptor Rescue
Here is a summary of the necropsy:
1. The analysis supports my post-mortem findings that the hatch year female was in very poor nutritional condition.
2. Her body and head had wounds that are consistent with talon punctures.
3. The body wounds were older and partially healed, and include a fractured sternum.
4. Two head wounds were more severe and recent, with the larger, rear wound penetrating the skull and causing brain damage.
5. The diagnosis is predator trauma leading to reduced food intake and emaciation.

Link 1: https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... A-J9rXdccY

Link 2: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/tu ... UVl2tBkP-k

Link 3: https://www.sfchronicle.com/climate/art ... UVl2tBkP-k
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Iona

Post by Iona » Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:24 am

:brknhrt:

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:53 pm

Philjo56France wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:09 pm
RIP 2022

11-23 or 27?-2022. From Orange, Peregrine Falcon, AUS : Falconet Rubus the young of the two 2022 siblings. Mom Diamond and Dad Xavier's full of life falconet, Indigo's little precious sibling.

Rubus : °10-05-2022 - aft 11-23 or 27?-2022 (49-55 do).
(11-23 or 27-2022, last time seen. 11-29-2022, its lifeless little body was found).

From https://science-health.csu.edu.au/falconcam
From https://www.youtube.com/c/FalconCamProject
From https://www.facebook.com/groups/orangea ... nefalcons/

Finally after a few days of research, of questioning, was it him or not?, here or there?, the terrible truth has fallen upon us. Its small lifeless body was found...
08-20-2023

From https://www.facebook.com/groups/orangea ... nefalcons/
Orange, Australia Peregrine Falcons

By Jaime Spivey Bell
2023-08-20_06h33_28.jpg
2023-08-20_06h33_47.jpg
© Cynthia Sorensen
Still so present in my mind :( :brknhrt: :cry1:
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:40 am

Reserved to Duke Farms Dad MIA

At the request of Ondabebe,
Hello Philjo56France
It is with sad emotions that I write to you to add Dad Duke to the MIA Eagles of 2023 who has been missing since May 19, 2023. He was 23 years old this year and an awesome Dad always protecting and taking care of his family
Ondabebe :cry1:

MIA 2023

MIA 05-19-2023. From Duke Farms, Hillsborough, NJ. Bald eagle, Dad Duke Farms. King of the Duke Farms's Kingdom, beloved mate and Dad.

Dad Duke Farms was 23 years old this year and an awesome Dad always protecting and taking care of his family. He raised at least 30 eaglets with three different mates.

Video
Duke Farms Eagles 💖 2023 Season Tribute To The Duke Farms Eagles 💖 2023.05.31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULvcz_QhI44
By: Ondabebe
© 2023 Duke Farms
2023-09-01_09h44_31.jpg
31 mai 2023 NEW JERSEY
Paying tribute to the Duke Farms Eagles and their Eaglets. It has been a wonderful season with Mom, Dad, and their two Eaglets. Both have fledged now but will be around for several weeks still as Mom and Dad continue to prepare them for when they feel it is time to go. Their journey has just started and I wish them the best as they soar high and free now in the sky.

Duke Farm Eagles

𝐇𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐌𝐨𝐦 𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐃𝐚𝐝
𝐋𝐨𝐜𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧: 𝐇𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐬𝐛𝐨𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡, 𝐍𝐉

✿ Dad (A-59) is the resident male on the nest and has never been replaced. He is 22 years old as of 2022 and has raised and fledged 30 eaglets over the past 17 years. He is AWESOME!!

✿ Mom is the third resident female in the nest arriving in September 2019. Based on her arrival time and lack of skill at the time my guess is she was 5/6 years old when she arrived making Mom 8/9 years old now in 2022 (but we will never really know). When she arrived, she was a real newbie, and Dad taught her well. She has become a really great Mom. Together she and Dad have raised and fledged 5 eaglets so far.

✿ History
The male resident eagle that we call Dad today was hatched in New Jersey in Greenwich in 2000. He was two weeks old when he was fostered out to another nest in New Jersey at Rancocas Creek because that nest was failing. On this nest, Dad got banded A-59 and fledged in June of 2000.
Over the years Dad found his way to Duke Farms and made it his home with a female eagle native to New Jersey. She was also banded which made it easy to identify that she was from New Jersey.

A cam was placed on a tree in 2008 for all viewers to enjoy. In 2012 the Nest tree was destroyed by Hurricane Sandy and the eagle couple built a new one that December which is the one we see now live. The cam was moved in 2013 to the new nest to accommodate better viewing of the nest. Together these two eagles raised and fledged 23 eaglets.

In 2017, Dad's long-time mate was replaced with a new female (there is no info as to what happened). Between Dad (A-59) and her, they produce only 2 eaglets in the time they were together (season 2019) which both did fledge. In the 2017 and 2018 seasons, there were no eggs produced by the pair.

In 2020 Dad's new mate was replaced again with another female eagle (there is no info as to what happened) which is the one we see on the nest now and who we refer to as Mom.

Live Cams can be found at:

/ @dukefarmsnj
Video Capture is from the Live Web Cams provided by The Dukes Farm: https://www.dukefarms.org/
Conserve Wildlife Foundation of New Jersey Bald Eagle Project: http://http://www.conservewildlifenj.org/
© 2022 Duke Farms

2023-09-01_13h48_42.jpg
Dad is feeding his 2023 young eaglets.
2023-09-01_13h49_31.jpg
the whole family of 2023 reunited, Just one month before his disappearance.

I know too well what you have become or rather I can imagine it perfectly, Anyway, know that your last babies have flown away and are now living their eagle life and that they, I am sure, will bring to you and Mom, like the previous ones, a very long lineage. No matter where you are, forever in our hearts Dad Duke Farms. :rh: :rh: :rh:

🙏 Dad Duke Farms 🙏 :cry1: :brknhrt:

Eagles, Ospreys, Falcons, Hawks, Owls, Condors, Raptors and Others

In Memory of:

RIP 14 birds, (1 adult and 13 youngs).
†SE29†, 164 do, Sea Eaglet from Olympic Stadium Sea Eagle nest, Sydney, AUS. †January 01.--- †CM2† aka "Phoenix", 42 do Bald eaglet from Camp Margaritaville RV Resort Auburndale Eagle Nest, FL. †March 03.--- †SCIEZ†, 1 yo, White Tail Eagle Sciez, Les Aigles du Léman, France. †April 01. --- †DH1† aka Decorah Hatchery #1, a few hours old Bald Eaglet from Decorah Hatchery, Iowa. †April 05.--- †DH19†, 32 do, Bald Eaglet from Dale Hollow, Tennessee. †April 08. --- †D36†, 3 years and~22? do, Bald Eagle from Decorah nest, Iowa. †May 02?. --- †DH18†, 61 do, 2 months old Bald Eaglet from Dale Hollow, Tennessee. †May 03. --- †Savanna†, 4 yo, Peregrine Falcon from Great Spirit Bluff Falcons La Crescent, Minnesota. †June 12. Plus her four falconnets (Thomas, Kami, †Alice, Jaycie) from 06-24 to 06-29.--- †Tuffy2†, ~2 mo, Red Tailed Hawklet, Bay Area, Santa Clara County, North California. †July 05. around 2 months old female RTH who shared the nest of Lola and her bald eagle family during 6 wks and half.--- †Tyr†, 81 do, bald eaglet, from the Surrey Reserve Nest, British Columbia, Ca. Mom Brit and Dad Rey's younger beloved eaglet and Lof's beloved sibling.---

MIA 4 birds, (3 adults and 1 young).
Harriet, Bald Eagle, Queen Mom from SWFEC, Fort Myers, Florida. 02 February 2023.---PLO#1 aka Zoe Juvie Osprey, Sibling of Little and Middle Bob, Mom and Dad's beloved daughter at Port Lincoln Osprey barge nest, Aus. 08 February 2023.--- Mom ND Bald Eagle, Queen Mom from Notre Dame Leef at St. Patrick's County Park, Indiana. 15 February 2023.--- Dad Duke Farm Bald Eagle, King Dad from Duke Farms, Hillsborough, New Jersey. 19 May 2023.---

Unhatched Eggs: (20)
CIegg#2 non-viable (1/2) at Captiva Island.---BCegg#2 non viable (1/2) At Berry College.---SSCegg#1, SSCegg#2, SSCegg#3, SSCegg#4, SSCegg#5, SSCegg#6, SSCegg#7 or #8 each broken the day they were laid or just the day after, SSCegg#8 or #8 (8/8) at Sauces Santa Cruz Island.---Regg#1 first clutch cracked, Regg#2 Second clutch non viable, broken during hatch watch. (2/2) at Redding Ca.---BBegg#1 and BBegg#2 non viable, let alone too much time during freezing period (2/2) at Big Bear Valley Nest Cam Ca.--- MNdnrEgg1 broken. (1/2) at Minnesota Nongame DNR.--- DNEgg broken. (1/1) at Decorah North, Iowa.--- 367Egg#1, 367Egg#2, 367Egg#3, 367Egg#4 Mom battled against another PF or a prey who try to defend itself. She has a probleme at her right eye, at her head and some difficulties to remember what to do. She stopped brooding just a couple of days before the hatch. (4/4) at Melbourne, Australia.--- OrangeEgg#3 non viable. (1/3) at Orange Falcon nest, Australia.---

Without Past, there is no Future !

To all of you, Fly Free, Fly High with always a full Crop and don't forget all of you,
You will never be alone, You will live for the Eternity in our Heart.

09 October 2023

Another 1 more stab wounds straight to the :rh: heart. I thought that afterwards we removed them and that there was no trace of them but in fact they continue to accumulate... :brknhrt: :brknhrt: :brknhrt:

By dint of enduring and sharing these pains, these sorrows, this sadness and all these tears with all our little feathered friends, young or old, for that matter, maybe one day I will have to withdraw completely for an indefinite period because that season has been particularly terrible despite some wonderful and happy successes.

It is possible that I scatter a little too much in the different nests or there is a real hecatomb this year in terms of the survival of the chicks. Considering what I read in the various forums, I think more for the hecatomb.
Last edited by Philjo56France on Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

ondabebe
Topic Assistant

Post by ondabebe » Fri Sep 01, 2023 4:46 am

Thank You so much Philjo56France for the kind words and posting

Dad

The last time I saw you, you were doing what you do best, defending your family. As the two E's watched they never knew it would be the last time they would see their Dad. Such a heartbreaking loss of a Dad who always was there for you two and so many before you. He was a mighty protector of his territory and a Dad who took great passion in bringing up so many eaglets to fledging. My heart and so many others out there will never forget you as the one and only Duke Farms Dad. No other will be able to follow in your footsteps because there is no other like you. 😢 💔

2023-02-10 Dad 008.jpg
Last edited by ondabebe on Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Iona

Post by Iona » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:22 am

:brknhrt: :cry1:

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:38 pm

Sad news for Big BearLake Bald Eagles
Our hearts are heavy with sadness as we just learned that Stormy and Simba were both encountered as “deceased”. Unfortunately we now know that neither eagle survived much after their first year of life. There's an UPDATE article by Bloom Biological, Inc. that was posted yesterday (9/8/23) – Dr. Bloom is the biologist who was in charge of banding Stormy, Simba and Cookie. I had recently posted some misinformation as I misinterpreted data from a chart in an article from Bloom Biological. released in 2020. The article from 2020 had data regarding banded eagles which included Stormy and Simba. This new article has more details including the STATUS of the condition of the eagles whereas the article released in 2020 did not include the status and only showed the encountered dates. I assumed and wished as I'm certain all of you would, that Stormy and Simba both were encountered "alive". You may read and see for yourselves the new UPDATE article/chart and educational information in the link below. My hope is that we will learn more about how Stormy and Simba each died. I have requested more information regarding their deaths and if I obtain it I will share what I learn. Let's hope that if there are remedies or improvements to be made to prevent other eagles/birds death that the loss of these two eagles will help others to survive in the future. Electrocution, fishing line, lead poisoning, pesticide/rodenticide or even someone driving too fast in an area where birds possibly feed etc are some possibilities - however, we may never know how they met their demise. It's up to the biologists, from what I understand, as to if any further details will be given. What we do know is that the chart from the most recent UPDATE article do give us the sad conclusion and the worst thing that any of us would want to learn about Stormy and Simba. There is a lot of good that can come from banding and there is also some sad notes such as this news. I think that the positive note of the not banded birds is the unknown which allows us to always remain hopeful that an eagle such as Spirit (not banded) is living well and enjoying being free in the wild. You can google or search directly in youtube for "banding of Stormy" and "banding of Simba" to confirm the banding dates that coincide with the chart provided by Bloom Biological. I do believe the recent article dated 9/8/23 may have an error where it references "Simba" and that most likely should be "Stormy". Also, the banding date of Simba I believe was 5/24/19 yet I kept the date of 5/25/19 on the composite photo as this is the date that Bloom Biological used. Regardless of these possible errors, both eagles do appear to be reported as encountered “deceased” in the chart. I wish badly that I would have been correct in my earlier post where I believed that both eagles had made it past that crucial one year mark and I wish badly that both were alive. Here's the newly released article by Bloom Biological that gives more specific details where the new chart includes the encounter "status". I cannot find a link to the 2020 article or I would have provided that as well. I encourage anyone who does ever see a banded bird of any kind where the code can be read clearly to report the sighting to the USGS. RIP Stormy and Simba and may you soar high and free for eternity. It's a sad day here in the eagles neighborhood by Big Bear Lake. - Trish

Link to Bloom Biological, Inc article dated 9/8/23:
bloom.bio/news/2023/9/6/color-banded-bald-eagles-in-southern-california-update?fbclid=IwAR384pTGeWgkX-AMlXk_aH8t2NxJYKuewuxNGuDds1Otwp4ibkzfpOVjba8
AKA: Marianne

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”