Eagleholics Anonymous ~ 2018

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

mmud
Content Provider

Re: Eagleholics Anonymous ~ 2018

Post by mmud » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:01 am

:coffee2: Good Morning :coffee2:

Sunday ~ February 10, 2019
Joined HWF: Sun. Apr 12, 2009

txelements

Post by txelements » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Good Evening Friends,

Scott,
I'm hoping it's just a brief blast of hard winter for you all. elle's likely in the same boat. Power outages are hard anytime, winter or summer.

Iona, I recall hearing them speak of the winter weather in your part of the states. Hope you & yours are safe & warm.

We are in the phase of cold mornings warming in the afternoon. Cold fronts don't last long here. Humidity & temps rise shortly after.

I have so many backyard birds visitors that I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only one in the neighborhood who offers seed. I also have suet and added nyger (male finch here are turning their beautiful yellow) & the occasional roasted unsalted peanuts. The squirrels snatch them, sometimes leaving shells, sometimes not. Likely stashing them for hard times.

I can certainly see how Dr. Lynn's thoughts naturally turn to bears, especially this time of year, Scott. :)

Carolyn, elle, wind, JuD :bye 1:

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:31 pm

Cool that you're getting so many birds to your feeders Naoma. :)
The male house finches here have brighter red during breeding season.
We've had a fairly uneventful winter in my area except for the wind storms. I still haven't been out for a drive to check the damage but there has been none close to me.
I'm looking forward to seeing which bears had cubs and hopefully all the regulars will be seen when spring arrives.

"No update tonight, all is well. - LM"

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:00 am

Monday ~ February 11, 2019

windsong
Topic Assistant

Post by windsong » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:20 am

Good Morning All,

I hadn't realized how long I've been away until a concerned friend sent me an email. I hope I haven't worried anyone too much. I've just been sick. There is a very nasty virus making the rounds here. It starts with a head cold, then moves to the chest. The lungs get inflamed and if you aren't careful you end up with bronchitis or pneumonia. Erik caught it, then I caught it from him. He was sick almost 3 weeks, and I've been sick over 2 weeks. I didn't feel too bad, but I was tired all the time (very draining), so I rested as much as possible. But I'm much better now, just a slight lingering cough which should go soon.

I read a few posts - loved the article on the cardinal - but I need to go back and catch up more. I also need to send an email to my friend.

The birds are busy at the feeders, right now I seem to have a whole flock of starlings pigging out. Quite a few blue jays too. The other usual suspects are about too, but come more in ones or twos rather than a large group.

The weather has been unpredictable here. Warm and 70's one day, freezing and 30's another. Just up and down and around.

All my best and hugs to everyone, :grhug:
Fly like an eagle and touch the sky! - Pat
Member since 7/29/2016

Helpful Hints

txelements

Post by txelements » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:11 pm

Evening Luvs.

Wind,
I'm glad to read you are on the mend. My oldest had a similar sounding bug & 2 days later bronchitis. No bueno para nada. :no:
Take care.

Scott, I checked weather and see it's below freezing & wet there with a new winter storm hitting the PNW. I hope the electric is restored for those in need.

Iona, Chardon looks like the nasty weather is south of you. :luck:

Hugs all. :bye 1:

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Sorry you and Erik have been ill Pat. Glad you're both on the mend. :)

We had snow last night but it barely covers the lawn here Naoma. Temperature is still below below freezing but the strong winds haven't returned as of now. :)

elle
Content Provider

Post by elle » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Glad to hear from you Pat but sorry you have been ill. Good to know you are now on the mend. :thumlft: Take care.

We are absolutely in a winter wonderland since last Friday. :cold1: :snow: We even lost power on Saturday for 4 hours. Luckily it was during the day but our indoor temperature dropped 10 degrees in that time so it was scary. I put a second duvet on my bed and got my fleece lined jammies out . :roll: And had a snug nap. :luck: We have a gas stove we can light manually so we were able to heat up some soup. Anyway we have 15- 25 cm more to come tonight and tomorrow. It has not stopped snowing all day. Oh my ! We do not have to go anywhere so no big deal in that respect and we have amenities within walking distance. Counting blessings.

But I worry for :cat: Yardley of course. She has 2 outdoor shelters we made for her and she is a smart girl and uses them. I am feeding her lots and lots. Grumble :cat: is sheltering at my neighbour's mostly so he is cared for too.

Poor critters and birds. Suet and seeds for them.

Mr ( Prince) Turk :cat: actually seemed to be asking us to turn up the heat inside on Saturday when we lost power. :D He snuggled in the mountain of blankies for a nap too. :rh:

I love the snow actually. It is so pretty and calm and quiet.

Next week we are still planning to go to Ucluelet/Tofino. :woohoo: :chin:
Be the change that you want to see in the world. – Mohandas K. Gandhi

Vancouver Island Contact and
Member since August 2006

txelements

Post by txelements » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:18 pm

elle, I feel your joy & love for the winter season mixed with your concerns for those caught @ nature's mercy. :luck:

Scott, hoping your weather continues to be tolerable. I know your yardbirds appreciate the hospitality.

Good night wishes all around. :)

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:12 pm

I knew the Island was getting the snow but didn't think it was that much elle. Nice to see you're enjoying it now that the power's back on. :)
The high winds made most of it avoid this area.

The birds here are well fed Naoma. :)
I'm wondering what happened to the 20 or so local doves that are usually daily visitors. It's been over a week now and I've only seen one on the deck 2 or 3 times.

"No update tonight - all is well. - LM"

JudiW

Post by JudiW » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Nesties......snowed in sorry to hear about your power Elle I hope we are ok :luck: Gary was digging out at 5AM and putting down ice melt and Einstein refuses to go out we have to put his leash on and direct him to the yard normally out of the yard but the last two days with snow I make him stay in the yard with his coat on. It went down to =7o but its up to -2o today and snowing again.....lots of chicken soup and comfort food.

Gary and I got that bad cold a couple of weeks ago it lasted 1 and 1 half weeks for us Windy know what you and your hubby went through and we had a flu shot

Thanks Iona for the links

Hi Scott hows the snow storm?

Carolyn my relatives on Garys side of the family live in Texas so I'm wishing to be there with your weather

Texas aka Florida hi Naoma glad you finally got on line instead of using your phone but my I phone is much better than my notebook I love to text my family teehee :love: :bye 1:

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:00 am

Tuesday ~ February 12, 2019

mmud
Content Provider

Post by mmud » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:04 am

I spoke too soon ealier when I said the snow had avoided us Judi. :)
I went shopping around 10 pm and it was snowing quite hard with a few inches on the ground in a very short time.

windsong
Topic Assistant

Post by windsong » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:18 am

Good Morning All,

Elle, I share your sentiments about the snow. I love to watch it fall, and I like to play in it, but it can make it so difficult for so many. Fur/Feather friends and human friends. So cute about Turk. We always keep our house a little cooler during the day when we are away to conserve energy and when we would come home we would find our dear Koko snuggled down under the comforter having a nap. I sure miss that guy. Enjoy your trip!

We haven't got more snow, just rain and lots of it. Cold this morning and rainy. Stay warm Judi :huggie: There was an article in the paper this morning, Hawaii got snow - boy the weather is weird this year :dunno:

The cold I caught is not a flu, but it is really nasty and it is spreading through Virginia like wildfire. Lots of cases of bronchitis from it. I sure hope all of you miss it.

Bird feeders are topped up, and I scatter wild life feed every morning for the crows and squirrels. At night usually the deer come and get any that is left, but the other night we had a small opossum munching away, he/she was so cute.

Hugs all around, :grhug:
Fly like an eagle and touch the sky! - Pat
Member since 7/29/2016

Helpful Hints

Woodlands Bleu

Post by Woodlands Bleu » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:26 am

I love snow....fun to "hear" about it. I remember shoveling for our golden retriever Puff (way back in time) to go out to go in 24 inch snow. She had no clue how to navigate that!

Our Texas weather as Tx knows can be unpredictable, Judi....sometimes beautiful, like today, sometimes not so. I do miss snow, love the cold weather but not minus necessarily.

Missed all those posts yesterday, busy day. It's wonderful to see the thread alive. Lynda, have fun our your trip away!

carolyn
An upside down dog is a happy dog dreaming sweet dreams.
carolyn

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”