The Wildlife Corner

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

Philjo56France

Re: The Wildlife Corner

Post by Philjo56France » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:22 am

From https://www.facebook.com/VentanaWildlifeSociety
Ventana Wildlife Society
·
WASSAK (968) LEAD POISONING

On the morning of December 22nd, one of the members of the Big Sur Flock, 3-year-old male Wassak (968), showed up at the Pinnacles National Park (PNP) release pen acting very lethargic. Fortunately, the PNP Crew was able to trap him right away.
VWS Condor Crew member, Evan McWreath, headed over to assist with handling and it was abundantly clear that they were dealing with a bad case of lead poisoning and that Wassak (968) needed to be transported to LA Zoo for emergency treatment.
Evan headed south with Wassak (968) in the afternoon, arriving at Los Angeles Zoo that evening. LA Zoo Veterinarian, Dr. Jordan Davis-Powell, noted that Wassak (968) showed signs of crop stasis, a severe side effect of lead poisoning.
Wassak (968)’s case is very reminiscent of Traveler (171)’s battle with lead poisoning earlier this year. Thank you to our partners at Pinnacles National Park and LA Zoo for acting so quickly on Wassak (968)'s behalf. We will be sure to keep you posted as soon as we know more about his condition.
ABOUT WASSAK (968): Wassak meaning “condor” was selected as this bird's nickname by the local Rumsen Tribe. Learn more about this amazing condor: https://www.ventanaws.org/condor968.html
Photo courtesy of LA Zoo.
2022-12-30_10h21_20.jpg
Ventana Wildlife Society
15 h
·
UPDATE ON WASSAK (968)
Los Angeles Zoo Veterinarian, Dr. Jordan Davis-Powell, has an update for us on the health status of Big Sur Flock member, Wassak (968).
Since his admittance to LA Zoo's veterinary hospital for treatment of lead poisoning on December 22nd, Wassak (968) is holding his weight at around 18lbs. LA Zoo veterinary technicians continue to give him fluids which is keeping him well hydrated, however, he is still having trouble with passing food due to crop stasis.
Wassak (968)’s crop has been flushed to clear any old material (mostly small bones and animal teeth). This will help reduce stress on his crop while he is fed a strictly soft meat diet of ground-up livers. Wassak (968) is still pretty sick, lethargic and slightly anemic, and therefore has a long road to recovery ahead of him (2-3 months).
Dr. Davis-Powell says that right now, LA Zoo veterinary technicians are focused on restoring Wassak (968)'s crop function and keeping his weight up. Overall, Dr. Davis-Powell is feeling more hopeful for him stating that Wassak (968)'s large size, and the fact that he’s a very strong bird, will help his chances of surviving his battle with lead poisoning.
Thank you to LA Zoo veterinary staff for doing all they can to save Wassak (968). We will be sure to keep you posted as we learn more.
Learn more about this amazing condor: https://www.ventanaws.org/condor968.html
2022-12-30_10h21_01.jpg
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:28 am

Orange, Australia Peregrine Falcons
12-30-2022

Indigo: °10-01-2022. 83 do. Fl: 11-11-2022, 48 do.

† Rubus †: °10-05-2022. Fl: 11-20-2022, 45 do.11-23/29-2022. 49/55 do forever. :cry1: :brknhrt:
(11-23-2022, last time seen, flying... 11-29-2022, its lifeless little body was found).

News, links, commonly asked questions and videos can be found on the new website:
https://science-health.csu.edu.au/falconcam

All livestreams have been moved and can be accessed via this address:
https://www.youtube.com/c/FalconCamProject

From https://www.facebook.com/groups/orangea ... inefalcons
2022-12-30_10h23_48.jpg
©Cilla Kinross
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:37 am

Philjo56France wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:28 am
From https://www.facebook.com/groups/243241724058357 Bald Eagles Live Nest Cams and News

From Christine Carey
2022-12-28_10h26_59.jpg
Watch live https://hancockwildlife.org/delta-2-cams/ and follow along in the forum as we document what we see viewforum.php?f=10
2022-12-28_10h27_18.jpg

it flew away at 22h30 local time, 2hours ago...
The poor Juvie from Delta did'nt make it
It was found dead below the nest :brknhrt: :( :cry1: :cryhanky:

From JudyB Hi folks.... As some of you know, the young eagle who spent a day resting in our nest did not survive, and was found dead under the nest yesterday. I wasn't able to get online earlier, so Darlene posted a screenshot of the main part of David Hancock's update (thanks, Darlene!). I'm going to post the entire update now, and possibly add a couple of comments of my own. David first:
viewtopic.php?p=631700#p631700
2022-12-30_11h33_24.jpg
JudyB again - I will just end by sending light and love to help guide this beautiful young eagle on their journey over the rainbow bridge, where they can fly free and safe forever.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:02 am

Philjo56France wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 2:37 am
Philjo56France wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:28 am
From https://www.facebook.com/groups/243241724058357 Bald Eagles Live Nest Cams and News

From Christine Carey
2022-12-28_10h26_59.jpg
Watch live https://hancockwildlife.org/delta-2-cams/ and follow along in the forum as we document what we see viewforum.php?f=10
2022-12-28_10h27_18.jpg

it flew away at 22h30 local time, 2hours ago...
The poor Juvie from Delta did'nt make it
It was found dead below the nest :brknhrt: :( :cry1: :cryhanky:

From JudyB Hi folks.... As some of you know, the young eagle who spent a day resting in our nest did not survive, and was found dead under the nest yesterday. I wasn't able to get online earlier, so Darlene posted a screenshot of the main part of David Hancock's update (thanks, Darlene!). I'm going to post the entire update now, and possibly add a couple of comments of my own. David first:
viewtopic.php?p=631700#p631700
2022-12-30_11h33_24.jpg
JudyB again - I will just end by sending light and love to help guide this beautiful young eagle on their journey over the rainbow bridge, where they can fly free and safe forever.
The little one deserves it so much :cry1: :brknhrt:

viewtopic.php?p=631857#p631857
2022-12-30_16h00_30.jpg
Last edited by Philjo56France on Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:18 am

Philjo56France wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 1:22 am
Ventana Wildlife Society
·
WASSAK (968) LEAD POISONING

On the morning of December 22nd, one of the members of the Big Sur Flock, 3-year-old male Wassak (968), showed up at the Pinnacles National Park (PNP) release pen acting very lethargic. Fortunately, the PNP Crew was able to trap him right away.
VWS Condor Crew member, Evan McWreath, headed over to assist with handling and it was abundantly clear that they were dealing with a bad case of lead poisoning and that Wassak (968) needed to be transported to LA Zoo for emergency treatment.
Evan headed south with Wassak (968) in the afternoon, arriving at Los Angeles Zoo that evening. LA Zoo Veterinarian, Dr. Jordan Davis-Powell, noted that Wassak (968) showed signs of crop stasis, a severe side effect of lead poisoning.
Wassak (968)’s case is very reminiscent of Traveler (171)’s battle with lead poisoning earlier this year. Thank you to our partners at Pinnacles National Park and LA Zoo for acting so quickly on Wassak (968)'s behalf. We will be sure to keep you posted as soon as we know more about his condition.
ABOUT WASSAK (968): Wassak meaning “condor” was selected as this bird's nickname by the local Rumsen Tribe. Learn more about this amazing condor: https://www.ventanaws.org/condor968.html
Photo courtesy of LA Zoo. 2022-12-30_10h21_20.jpg

Ventana Wildlife Society
15 h
·
UPDATE ON WASSAK (968)
Los Angeles Zoo Veterinarian, Dr. Jordan Davis-Powell, has an update for us on the health status of Big Sur Flock member, Wassak (968).
Since his admittance to LA Zoo's veterinary hospital for treatment of lead poisoning on December 22nd, Wassak (968) is holding his weight at around 18lbs. LA Zoo veterinary technicians continue to give him fluids which is keeping him well hydrated, however, he is still having trouble with passing food due to crop stasis.
Wassak (968)’s crop has been flushed to clear any old material (mostly small bones and animal teeth). This will help reduce stress on his crop while he is fed a strictly soft meat diet of ground-up livers. Wassak (968) is still pretty sick, lethargic and slightly anemic, and therefore has a long road to recovery ahead of him (2-3 months).
Dr. Davis-Powell says that right now, LA Zoo veterinary technicians are focused on restoring Wassak (968)'s crop function and keeping his weight up. Overall, Dr. Davis-Powell is feeling more hopeful for him stating that Wassak (968)'s large size, and the fact that he’s a very strong bird, will help his chances of surviving his battle with lead poisoning.
Thank you to LA Zoo veterinary staff for doing all they can to save Wassak (968). We will be sure to keep you posted as we learn more.
Learn more about this amazing condor: https://www.ventanaws.org/condor968.html
Photo courtesy of LA Zoo.2022-12-30_10h21_01.jpg[/size]
Update
2022-12-31_09h14_46.jpg
The video https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1136287617056932
2022-12-31_09h15_01.jpg
2022-12-31_09h15_22.jpg
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:42 am

12-31-2022

Goodnight/ morning everyone, Bonjour to all the Viewers, ...!

This a Special Date for many people around here.... Particulary for the E9 bunch... i hope there is still some in this thread :grhug:

Today at 07h33 am ET, our little Prince :rh: ;, The Prince of Fort Myers :rh: ,

E9 :rh: will turn 6 yo... I hope now E9 has a family, a nest and a territory :luck: :rh: It can't be otherwise :luck: :rh:

Happy Birthday my big beautiful friend :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake:

E9 forever in our :rh:

With many :ty: to Harriet & M15, the Pritchett family, the SWFEC, Desiree Deliz, Lady hawk, Vicki, FlaNative9,...

07h33

2022-12-29_13h35_58.jpg
2022-12-30_16h30_55.jpg
2022-12-30_16h41_35.jpg
Last edited by Philjo56France on Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:56 am

From https://www.facebook.com/WildHeartRanch
WILD HEART RANCH
FAQ's about Clay the eagle:
History:
We have one! Clay came to us in April 2022 with a broken wing, having been surviving in a creek bed for some time. He was found a few days after our Nowata County Game Warden, Brent Clay passed away, and he was one of the eagles Brent watched fly over his land every day and told me about and Brent would have been the warden to bring him to me. Thus his name and all sorts of other reasons that made his case very personal to me. This bird's plight helped the family heal, helped us all heal. Brent was also my friend. He brought me Helen. His heart was so genuine for these animals and losing him was devastating.
Clay the eagle was not expected to fly again. We were healing him for placement and did not bother to change out the eagle cage netting that was due for replacement (every 6 years) because he wasn't supposed to fly. Well, Clay had other ideas. He flew and he flew strong. We even creanced him (flew on a 200 ft line) to push him harder to find a weakness in the wing. There was none.
As we were all planning his release last June, (the plan was to let Brent's daughter, Riley Clay open the crate) he tore through the weakened netting and headed home, back to Nowata, 35 miles away. (Less if you're an eagle)
Jerk, but GO CLAY!
INTAKE:
When the call came for an eagle down in a creek bed in Nowata, I had a pang of "what if" and dismissed it. This "beat to hell" eagle shows up, stuck his head in his hood, tried to walk out of the crate, accepted help and did all sorts of things that I've never seen a wild intake eagle do during exam. He was familiar with me, the clinic, a water bowl, etc. Either he had been here before or he was suffering brain injury, a possibility we fully anticipated, but even then, no wild eagle knows what a bowl is or knows to stick their head in a hood and he did it twice.
The medical team at the Tulsa Zoo compared x rays the following day confirming his identity. This was Clay. I started shaking, trying not to cry in front of the zoo staff. I knew it in my gut, but hearing it was nearly overwhelming. My boy was back.
FINDINGS:
This eagle has been on the ground during sub zero temps after probably losing a fight with another eagle. A badly infected lacerated foot with reduced blood supply is the worst of his issues. The foot was ice cold and purple, but alive. The prior wing repair has held strong and was not the reason for his struggle. He has multiple punctures in his mouth, both wings and the foot. He is underweight and infected all over, the foot most of all.
Blood and feces have been sent off for lead and avian flu tests. Waiting on results.
CARE PLAN:
Clay is on antibiotics, anti-inflammatory and pain meds. I am working to save the foot to save the bird.
Some do not understand that a life for a one legged eagle would not be considered a quality life for a wild eagle. They are big heavy birds and they use their feet to perch and eat. I am not giving up anytime soon and we have seen progress. Ending his life is not my call. We are licensed through the USFWS who decides what is allowed for captivity. Yes there are amputees in captive care, wings and legs, but many are either grandfathered in (have been captive for decades) or are in other countries. Policies have been changed in the US to protect birds of prey from captive lives of struggle. We follow policy here to protect our permits so we can continue to help these animals. I am not a "keep alive at all cost to the animal" rehabber. I follow instruction of my veterinarians who also only want what is best and legally allowed for the animal. Period.
ON A PERSONAL NOTE:
I am asking for your trust and support here. No one wants to save this eagle more than I do. Believe it. Dan is worried about me if the foot fails. I am worried about me if the foot fails, but I will do as I am told and move forward as I always do. That is my job. With this bird, I feel like I am also saving my friend. I cannot separate them emotionally, but I am not letting those feelings interfere with Clay receiving professional care or making any decisions for him based on my "feelings" above his needs. That will never happen here.
CURRENT OBSERVATIONS:
Clay is eating and drinking and (for now) tolerating his twice daily foot massage. The foot is improving with meds and massage. The purple color is fading and it is warmer than it was, though still cool to the touch, he feels my touch and uses the foot. We will do nothing more for now as he needs rest to fight the infection and groceries and his meds most of all. As he gets stronger we will up the game to heal the foot. Today he allowed the massage on his perch. I took video. I will post later. It was a magical moment of trust for me. Much easier on him not to be handled to do it. He accepted it like a champ, but he is a sick bird and things will change as he recovers, but for now his declined condition gives opportunity for treatment with less stress.
PROTECTING CLAY:
We are not allowing anyone to see him. No press inside, no visitors, etc. Clinic is on "QUIET!" mode and we are only filming or photographing during necessary interactions. Most of the photos posted are screenshots of a video we took during necessary interaction. I am personally handling his care while he is fragile. It gives me full control and he is at ease with me. Less stressful on him.
FUTURE PLANS:
WHEN I save the foot, (I am determined) and he is fully recovered, we have to face the possibility of release. It is not up to me to deem him non releasable, though my opinion (holds some weight but not much) is that Clay is a two time failure. He does not "wild eagle" well. It would be hard on me to release him again, worried for his future and at this point in time, I would prefer to place him. This is a surprise to everyone who knows me. Their freedom is why I am here, why I work so hard. I may change my position on this as he recovers. I just don't know yet. He WILL go back to the home he knows where he has suffered so greatly twice. I cannot control where he goes if released or kept captive. I will work to place him locally. I want to stay involved in his life as much as I can. Keeping him is not an option. It's not a permit we have or will seek. We focus on rehabilitation, our purpose.
We will cross that bridge when we get to it. We have a LONG way to go yet. Things could change. I have to save the bird first.
PRESS REQUESTS: (lots of them!)
We are happy to do interviews of his remarkable story outside the clinic and photos and video can be used from our Facebook page. For now, he needs rest and no stress. He comes first.
If anyone has any more comments or questions, post here. Dan is overwhelmed with PMs and trying to keep up. I will jump on here morning and evening to answer all that I can. If your question doesn't get answered, please look to see if it was answered for someone else.
Lots of previous posts about him that tell more.
Thank you ALL for supporting this special guy through his second journey with us. My heart and soul is in this one. I promise you that.
Annette
2022-12-31_09h53_16.jpg
WildHeartRanch
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:00 am

Cont
2022-12-31_09h57_38.jpg
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Sunnybird1995

Post by Sunnybird1995 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:46 am

Philjo56France wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:42 am
12-31-2022

This a Special Date for many people around here.... Particulary for the E9 bunch... i hope there is still some in this thread :grhug:

E9 :rh: will turn 6 yo... I hope now E9 has a family, a nest and a territory :luck: :rh: It can't be otherwise :luck: :rh:

Happy Birthday my big beautiful friend :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake:

With many :ty: to Harriet & M15, the Pritchett family, the SWFEC, Desiree Deliz, Lady hawk, Vicki, FlaNative9,...

07h33

2022-12-29_13h35_58.jpg2022-12-30_16h30_55.jpg2022-12-30_16h41_35.jpg

Merci Philjo for your loving tribute to E9 on his 6th birthday
Wherever I am, I always look for E9 :rh:
:cake: :cheers:
Still looking for E9 :rh: October 12, 2019
Harriet Forever :brknhrt: March 2023

Sunnybird1995

Post by Sunnybird1995 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:48 am

Philjo56France wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:42 am
12-31-2022

07h33

2022-12-29_13h35_58.jpg2022-12-30_16h30_55.jpg2022-12-30_16h41_35.jpg

Merci Philjo for your loving tribute to E9 on his 6th birthday
Wherever I am, I always look for E9 :rh:
:cake: :cheers:
Still looking for E9 :rh: October 12, 2019
Harriet Forever :brknhrt: March 2023

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:20 am

You're welcome SunnyBird, (bis) :D :huggie:

2022-12-31_18h18_35.jpg
2022-12-31_18h18_47.jpg
https://benitolink.com/fireworks-can-ha ... JjyIsIojSE
Last edited by Philjo56France on Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:25 am

RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:05 pm

Happy New Year
&
Bonne et Heureuse Année 2023 !

From https://www.facebook.com/
2023-01-01_07h01_36.jpg
RaptorResourceProject
2023-01-01_07h01_16.jpg
RaptorResourceProject
twelve 2022 pics here https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=53 ... 6378646714
Last edited by Philjo56France on Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:15 pm

Last edited by Philjo56France on Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:21 pm

RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”