The Wildlife Corner

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

rainna4

Re: EAGLE Chatters Nest

Post by rainna4 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:29 pm

Thank you Nestfriend, I just don't want this day to end. It's been such a great day and everyone is so thrilled with all the goodness of it all. Tugs at the old heart strings for sure.

The pictures are amazing!

You take care, and I know spring is right around the corner because I have hundreds of Canada Geese flying over all day and night here. So beautiful to see and hear.

Rainna

rainna4

Post by rainna4 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:33 pm

I know it's been a very busy day but if I may impose and share with you all a great event that happened in my area today. " Eagle released in memory of local philanthropist"
Many things special about this story but one huge fact is that they saved this beauty from lead poisoning. Here is the local news information and a video is also available. Credit goes to WBAY and the Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary. This eagle is released in honor of Irene Kress and her amazing work toward education, especially her focus on teaching the youngsters about wildlife.

http://www.wbay.com/content/news/Eagle- ... 57173.html

Rainna

rainna4

Post by rainna4 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:13 am

E11 FLEDGED
Attachments
Screenshot at 2018-03-16 07-12-14.png

rainna4

Post by rainna4 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:40 am

Both off the nest and hopefully E10 will encourage E11 to come back over to him, away from the road.
Attachments
Screenshot at 2018-03-16 07-37-37.png

rainna4

Post by rainna4 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:34 am

E11 back to the nest tree, Yeah E10 was right next to E11 but flew away when I took the picture. Harriet in the left upper branch. Waiting for his celebration fish to arrive from M15!

Rainna
Attachments
Screenshot at 2018-03-16 08-31-39.png

Kathy M.

Post by Kathy M. » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:12 pm

The babies,...fledglings are flying machines!!! :D What beautiful flights and landings they have, first time out!!! :woohoo:

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:21 am

Bad News at Decorah North
MaryF wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:11 pm
Here is the official word on the egg from RRP--- :(
Raptor Resource Project
Dear Friends, We are deeply saddened to report that the one egg at Decorah North Nest laid on February 25th was lost today in the early morning hours. Mrs North had gotten up for a change of position and the egg was already stuck to her chest, indicating that it had been crushed or collapsed, and the contents were oozing out. Clearly, there was something wrong with the shell, but we are uncertain yet at this point whether the egg was infertile or unviable. We'd like our eagle biologists to weigh in with their opinions and we'll update as we know more.
As sad as this is for all of us, please know that Mr & Mrs North, like other wildlife, live in the moment. We see them keep arriving for shift changes for an egg no longer there, and it's hard to witness that as well as an empty nest. There will probably be some speculation as to whether or not another clutch might be laid, or what will happen next, and to that, we can only answer ... only the Eagles know if there is still a window of opportunity or not.
We have no other answers yet beyond this announcement and may not for some time. Collectively we say that we are as heartbroken as all of you for this sad event in the season, and wait to see how Mr & Mrs North fare. We'll post more as information is available. Thank you all for your support of the North's and to RRP.
Yesterday during my night duty i checked that already but didn't want to think about the lost of the egg, i thought Mom was hiding it
around 1h00 am it was there, on my pic
2018-03-16_07h30_04.jpg
the next pic around 4h00 am no more egg in the nest
2018-03-16_10h26_02.jpg
but today Mom is still brooding
2018-03-17_08h08_25.jpg
:cry1:
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:21 am

That's a sad news there was only one laid egg...
I don't know if another clutch is possible yet, I hope so...
My thoughts for the followers of this nest and this eagle family : :(
RIP very little one
All scaps are courtesy of
http://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html
or by photographers / videographers credited in my message
In love with Harriett and M Family !

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:58 am

I’ll fly to Miami on Monday and then will go to meet our eagle family end of March. I can’t wait. I prepared a box of tissues, (a big one) my e9 pillow, binoculars, my video camera, and my sun block.
I hope to meet Vicki O there and other wonderful people :hug:

A cold wave is arriving from Russia again so we expect to have cold temperatures from tomorrow for several days. As my flight is leaving early Monday morning I'll sleep near the airport tomorrow night. I hope I won't have delayed/cancelled flights :)

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:12 am

Hi E9
Happy 63 weeks old my buddy !
Oh you should see your young siblings you would be so proud of them !
They both fledge and now are flying around, gaining confidence under the proud eyes of mom and dad ...
They look like you you know.
They are exceptional as you are in a different way. I just look at them and imagine them later when they are leaving.
I hope you are fine sweetheart.
I love you today and forever
Attachments
89677A8B-70BF-4053-BD58-3E381674F56C.jpeg
E9 at 70 days old

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:37 pm

:love: :love:
Baroness at Smola nest laid her first egg this evening at 6:00 pm
I’m so happy :w00t:

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:33 pm

So very sad to hear about the loss of the North's egg. They are very good parents,too. My heart grieves for them. I hope they may lay another egg yet. It was odd this year because they generally lay 3.

Pascale, my heart lifted a bit with your news of the egg in the Smola nest. I hope you have a really grand trip to Florida"'! I hope you will be able to share with us some 'at the nest' reports.
Laniebelle
Remembering Dad Decorah, the greatest eagle Dad ever
follow: Decorah, DNN, SWFEC, NEFL, AEF DC, FSV, Berry, Trio, Standley Lake, Big Bear, Smola

eagleslanding

Post by eagleslanding » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:47 am

So many factors in viability of egg or even to have a leg laid. These are just a few nests listed here on HWF. Heavy rain, viruses, intruders in the area much pressure on the eagle to put forth a little chick. Many pesticides. On and on. The food chain is important. It is just a part of the way. I think some California nests have a lot of soft shelled eggs. The worst is pollution with plastics especially the ones with holes like pop bottle plastic holders. So many things.
So many nests to follow even in your own area. These nests are a microcosm of what is rally out there. Just look around you. It is even a shame to see a broken robin's egg in your yard. We all live in one world. Much of the problems of egg viability have already been studied out.Change on how we deal with the environment. What are we doing. The answer is in us.

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:58 am

eagleslanding wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:47 am
So many factors in viability of egg or even to have a leg laid. These are just a few nests listed here on HWF. Heavy rain, viruses, intruders in the area much pressure on the eagle to put forth a little chick. Many pesticides. On and on. The food chain is important. It is just a part of the way. I think some California nests have a lot of soft shelled eggs. The worst is pollution with plastics especially the ones with holes like pop bottle plastic holders. So many things.
So many nests to follow even in your own area. These nests are a microcosm of what is rally out there. Just look around you. It is even a shame to see a broken robin's egg in your yard. We all live in one world. Much of the problems of egg viability have already been studied out.Change on how we deal with the environment. What are we doing. The answer is in us.
Last year at Sauce nest California Mom laid 8 eggs ! All of them broke almost after being laid :( now this year they have 3 hatched eggs but there is terrible bonking between the two older chicks. They spend most of the time fighting, parents have difficulties to feed them. None of them wants to be submissive. The youngest is keeping low from these two furries but eats enough. the two oldest ones hatched within a few hours so they have equal size and strength.
I hate to learn that pesticides and plastic is so much present. It's nature nightmare. In another california nest the male brought plastic mesh and started ripping it. Hopefully the female arrived and they got rid off it... Please people be careful :no: like you said eagleslanding, it's up to us humans to keep our earth and nature strong :(

eagleslanding

Post by eagleslanding » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:04 am

But alas it is a tragedy on the decorah nest. Very sad. Even more so as we become attached to and see the beautiful way of the eagles. I know just by the eagle cams. Well knowledge is a powerful thing. A sad loss indeed.

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”