The Wildlife Corner

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

laniebelle

Re: EAGLE Chatters Nest

Post by laniebelle » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:10 pm

Losing B12 is so very upsetting. My heart is so sore for her wonderful parents, Mom and Dad Berry, who did everything they could. Philjo, Pascale, and Chris - thanks for expressing your disappointment regarding the actions (or non-actions) of the authorities. I know they were monitoring the situation, but it seems like any response they were considering would have been way too slow. All the viewers knew early yesterday that something was definitely wrong and that B12 was in distress and could not move; then she stopped eating. Those should have been enough clues for immediate action. I am feeling sad and depressed, and angry, too.

Pascale, I was remembering Honor having her leg stuck in the nest, and the quick rescue that happened. Why wasn't anything done here? It was certainly a crisis situation that needed immediate intervention. Not a wait and see situation. Deeply disappointed in Berry.
Laniebelle
Remembering Dad Decorah, the greatest eagle Dad ever
follow: Decorah, DNN, SWFEC, NEFL, AEF DC, FSV, Berry, Trio, Standley Lake, Big Bear, Smola

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Berry just released this:
We've received many questions about the recent heartbreaking deaths of our two eaglets. At 3 p.m. Wednesday, February 27th, we will live stream a Q&A at https://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/ with Berry Associate Professor of Biology Renee Carleton and Berry College Elementary School teacher Lewis Byrne. The session will be recorded and posted later for those who cannot tune in live. Please comment with your question on this post only. We will get to as many as we can, but will not be able to answer all. Thank you.
Laniebelle
follow: Decorah, DNN, SWFEC, NEFL, AEF DC, FSV, Berry, Trio, Standley Lake, Big Bear, Smola

NestFriend

Post by NestFriend » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:57 pm

I join all of you who are disgusted by the lack of action at Berry. They should be ashamed of themselves. :brknhrt:
Mimi

"Nothing positive will come from being negative,
and nothing negative will come from being positive."

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:12 am

Second egg for Decorah Mom yesterday
2019-02-27_07h45_19.jpg
First egg for Liberty and Freedom at Hanover nest

Mimi, Lanie, ChrisH :grhug:
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:53 am

:grhug: everyone...
All scaps are courtesy of
http://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html
or by photographers / videographers credited in my message
In love with Harriett and M Family !

jwin36

Post by jwin36 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:16 am

I am so sad about the loss at the Berry nest.. It is never easy to watch young animals pass. :brknhrt: But I would like to add that we do not know why either of the chicks died. They both passed quickly and were not really visible. If we knew ahead of time what would happen then I am sure there would have been an intervention. I cannot blame anyone for this now. We really don't know why. There may not have been anything to be done and if the chick was removed and then died I think that Mom and Dad Berry would have been much more traumatized. I will imagine in my own mind that what happened is a part of a natural process.
The eagles will move forward and continue life as they must.
I hope that all the followers of Berry will heal as well. :huggie:
:bye 1:
In an eagle there is all the wisdom of the world. Lame Deer

NestFriend

Post by NestFriend » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:25 pm

Have you ever seen an eagle pick up an egg with his talons? :ohmy:
https://youtu.be/492rJq49WMU
Mimi

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:57 pm

I have heard that it may have been fishing line in the nest bowl that little B12 got tied up in. If so, that is a real shame since that was human caused and could have been prevented if someone had not been careless in disposing of their fishing line.

Here is the recorded livestream interview with Dr. Renee Carlton of Berry College, answering many of the questions posed about the eaglets death. I have not had a chance to watch it yet myself.
https://tinyurl.com/y4772kyo
Laniebelle

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:58 pm

Here is a beautiful poem that I think may bring some comfort. It was shared on Facebook to the B3 Branch Buddies group. The author, Jim Hightower, gave me permission to share his poem.Laniebelle

Jim Hightower‎ to B3 Branch Buddies - Berry College Eagles

Years ago, I put this little piece together just from memories of things I had witnessed in my life (up until then). As you read this, you will notice that it deals with "nature" in its entirety. For the recent events at Berry college, I would think that if everyone commits their memory to the Good Times we've witnessed at that nest, the last verse would be so appropriate.

Good Times

By Jim Hightower

Did you ever hear a meadowlark whose song was full of cheer?
Did you ever see a mountain stream flowing fast and clear?
Or see a rainbow ‘cross the sky so bright and full of hue?
Or the beauty of a newborn dawn still moist with last night’s dew?

Have you seen a rosebud ‘tween the thorns so tight but anxious to bloom?
Or watched a spider weave his web in the corner of a room?
Or seen the clouds go gliding by on breezes, oh, so soft?
Or played in hay, fresh cut that day, now stored in the barn’s giant loft?

And what about the cry you hear from a babe who breathes his first?
And the joyful face of the infant’s mom as she gives to quench his thirst?
Have you seen the tide come rushing in to wash the shoreline clean?
Have you felt the raindrops, soft and cool? They’re sure to change the scene!

Have you ever felt the fluffy snow, so cold to your warm touch?
Or tasted melons from the patch . . . the kind you like so much?
Or felt the thundering, rumbling sound from lightning’s nearby strike?
Or seen the stars, so far but bright, on a dark and cloudless night?

Have you tasted honey from the hive where the bees have labored long?
Or heard the woodpecker’s rat-tat-tat? Surely, his favorite song!
Or walked along a forest path and heard those strange, strange sounds
Of creatures lurking, hiding there? Prob’ly just playing around.

Have you smelled the blossoms Spring has brought, so nice and new and sweet?
Maybe picked a few, or one or two, to make her day complete?
Or the best thing yet: Her secret smile? The one that’s just for you!
Her hint of pleasure that’s on the way to be enjoyed by two.

So think of these and other things - just let your mind run free
About the way things were today, and re-runs you WILL see
Of Mother Nature and her ways of brightening up your day.
Just memorize these fresh, good times. And in your mind, they’ll stay
Laniebelle

NestFriend

Post by NestFriend » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:24 pm

This is a beautiful poem Laniebelle, thanks for sharing it. :bye 1:
Mimi

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:41 pm

this interview made me feel even mad. this biologist said maybe it was respiratory infection. how could have b12 cried for despair during 8 hours with a respiratory tract infection??? point submitted by lady hawk. did the biologist even watch videos?
with maybes... maybe if they had helped he will still be alive. that's all I have to say. maybe he'll be alive.

yes I'm still angry.
All scaps are courtesy of
http://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html
or by photographers / videographers credited in my message
In love with Harriett and M Family !

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:18 am

Pascale wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:41 pm
this interview made me feel even mad. this biologist said maybe it was respiratory infection. how could have b12 cried for despair during 8 hours with a respiratory tract infection??? point submitted by lady hawk. did the biologist even watch videos?
with maybes... maybe if they had helped he will still be alive. that's all I have to say. maybe he'll be alive.
yes I'm still angry.
I noticed also she was very sad too, and may be it's not veident for her too to make something
even if i'm angry (but only against what happened) i understand they couldn't use a truck to go there with a so wet ground after all the rain they had. At the end, notice her face, Pascale, she was very close to cry and many things they said have sense too … but without the body, impossible to know why S12 stayed stuck and died like s/he did. and it is what we do not admit. :cry1: :brknhrt:
:hug:
Thanks Lanie for the poem from Jim Hightower.
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 am

Dr. Renee Carlton kind of discounted the idea of fishing line, but I'm not so sure about that. I think they need to send someone up to the tree when Mom and Dad are no longer around, and go through that nest bowl to make sure there is nothing (fish line or other things that could cause harm) to any future eaglets. If it was fish line, it was a senseless death that was human caused, and that is a damn shame. That makes me mad, too.

Dr. Carlton did seem to have emotional feelings for the eaglets and Mom and Dad Berry. We'll never know what Berry's conversations were with Dept of Natural Resources and federal Fish & Wildlife. I know we all are still trying to come to terms with this and of course we all wish it had ended differently.

Peace and Love, My Friends
Laniebelle

eagleslanding

Post by eagleslanding » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:04 pm

So it is back to the cold again. Minus 30 below windchills for the decorah eagles. This is really hard on the eagles.when you look at the cam you can't feel their cold.
Thank goodness for their feathers to keep their eggs warm.
As for where I am it is only getting to -30F. Today I noticed a little bit of melting and a hope of spring. I saw bunny tracks and squirrel tracks. Even a hoof track, a deer maybe in the back yard. In the snow. So recently the snow was all glazed over with ice and the animals hid. But with the short warmup today. Lots of animal tracks. Tomorrow sub freezing and snow. Good day to sit by a fireplace and read.

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:10 am

laniebelle wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:49 am
Dr. Renee Carlton kind of discounted the idea of fishing line, but I'm not so sure about that. I think they need to send someone up to the tree when Mom and Dad are no longer around, and go through that nest bowl to make sure there is nothing (fish line or other things that could cause harm) to any future eaglets. If it was fish line, it was a senseless death that was human caused, and that is a damn shame. That makes me mad, too.
Dr. Carlton did seem to have emotional feelings for the eaglets and Mom and Dad Berry. We'll never know what Berry's conversations were with Dept of Natural Resources and federal Fish & Wildlife. I know we all are still trying to come to terms with this and of course we all wish it had ended differently.
Peace and Love, My Friends
Hi Lanie, 1h00 ago 03/02/2019 07h03 Berry nest time Ma Berry decided, as a last gesture of love :rh: , that it was time for B12 to fly with her now … like she did some days ago with B13 :rh: .
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”