The Wildlife Corner

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

NestFriend

Re: EAGLE Chatters Nest

Post by NestFriend » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:35 pm

:wave:

Hi E9 Bunch, tomorrow our E9 will be 25 months old. I hope he is keeping warm wherever he is :rh:
584BE705-24FD-44F8-8D89-D54028313904.jpeg
Sunnybird, this one is for you.

For everyone in the path of this severe and deadly cold weather, please stay safe and warm :luck:

:ty: Laniebelle for the welcome back. Your pictures from the lake are amazing.

I’m still here, enjoying our eagle families around the world, but specially SWFEC (Es are as adorable as they come) and I’m also enjoying nestorations and visitors at the Smola nest. I appreciate all news and scaps and pictures posted here.

Great news from Dale Hollow, thanks Phil! :wave:
Mimi

"Nothing positive will come from being negative,
and nothing negative will come from being positive."

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi, Mimi

Love Vicki's photo of E9; thanks for the lovely customization. He was so handsome and such a character. Yes, even now, he will always be in our hearts and minds; thinking of him, always brings me a smile and a chuckle.

Thanks for your compliment on my photos. It was so thrilling to see so many BE's in one gathering spot.

I enjoy the Smola nest, too. So glad that Pascale introduced us to these Norwegian white tailed sea eagles.
Laniebelle
Remembering Dad Decorah, the greatest eagle Dad ever
follow: Decorah, DNN, SWFEC, NEFL, AEF DC, FSV, Berry, Trio, Standley Lake, Big Bear, Smola

monieagl11

Post by monieagl11 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:15 pm

Well M did it again earlier today. Fish with head, guess he's not that hungry? :chin: That's Fish #5 :fish: :ohmy: this fish is smaller I think, maybe :shame: :dunno: so much I have to learn :yes: my poor brain :faint: lol lol. Little later Fish #6!!
Great Gosh Afire M with Fish #7 :w00t: There'll be Breakfish in the morning :woohoo: Zoomy focused on Harriet, loved as if she knew the camera was directly on her and she looked Royally and 'Blinked' right eye at us :) :rh: :rh: :huggie:

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:22 am

So many problem to "log in" in today even with the "remember" me selected it becomes awful, i have to login at least 10 times in less than 3 hours
I stop for now and will wait for better luck tomorrow
Thanks for the E9's superb photo Mimi ! I miss him so much even if i sleep every night with him so close to my heart (more than 12 night TShirts with his photo in front and in the back of it… and never the same one ) Have a good day all :huggie:
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:04 am

Bad and sad news for this guy
2019-01-31_10h57_54.jpg
2019-01-31_10h56_52.jpg
2019-01-31_10h55_10.jpg
:cry1:
You have his story day after day here
https://www.facebook.com/Avian-Haven-381894018553252/
not needed to be a member
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

NestFriend

Post by NestFriend » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:18 am

:rh:
E9 night shirts...I got to get me some of those :love: He is stuck in our hearts forever.

So sad about the GBH. It reminded me of another raptor that stole a piece of my heart too :rh: I wonder were our Spunky is or if he is acting like the hawk Is.

I’m having a problem posting pictures right now. Is it only me?
Mimi

"Nothing positive will come from being negative,
and nothing negative will come from being positive."

eagleslanding

Post by eagleslanding » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:00 am

Sad about the black hawk. I don't think Portland got the big freeze. How is or did this hawk lose his legs? The polar chill was mostly in the midwest. And they say for the eagles they can withstand these temps of -40 to -50 wind chills as their feathers act like down keeping them warm. They won 't spend time in the nest when its this cold they will go to a branch in a warmer spot. Was that in Portland Oregon.

As for me I stayed inside many states of emergency. Even asking us to turn down our furnaces to 65 and lower as per governor. Everything pretty much closed down. Yet nearby Canada running normal.And nothing closed there. So if no eagle on the nest in the northern states the eagle found a warmer spot on a branch.As for us humans because of the people that did not make it through cold snap. I am staying inside. Not a creature is stirring not even a mouse. Don't want to get caught outside.
But yes not understanding this beautiful black hawks woes.

eagleslanding

Post by eagleslanding » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:02 am

Oh yes e9 flannel pj's for us freezing up here.

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:14 pm

From JudyB:
ANNOUNCEMENT
Hi everyone! We've done some work on the forum over the last couple of days which unfortunately made it harder for some people to log in and stay logged in. We think we've found and fixed the problem, but it may require folks to delete their browser cookies in order to log in.

We're still working on this, but have instructions for deleting cookies for several popular browsers here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13&p=148341#p148341 - and you can probably find the method for other browsers on the internet - and we hope to add more tomorrow.

If you have any additional suggestions or would be willing to write instructions for one of the other browsers, please let me know!

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but the work we've done will keep the forum more stable and hopefully more accessible.

If you can log in and post, if you have any questions or can help with additional instructions, please post on the Report Cams Down and Forum Errors thread in the Technical Help area.

If you cannot log in and post, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:06 am

Thanks Judy B, I gave up’trying To connect yesterday. Today it works. Phewwww !

Do you remember Elpis. The harpy eagle Juvie in Peru. She’s still in her nest, all grown up and she’s chasing Dad !

https://youtu.be/cwlYsf0ePiA

I’ve learned that Juvies can stay 2 years with their parents !

So sad about that beautiful black hawk... wildlife must be suffering so much with this terrible weather ! :rh:

I saw a post of David Hancock about domestic animals left outside with these temperatures. I think, hope, people are doing the necessary.

This leads me to introduce you to my Australian Shepherd... her name is, well, Elida :rh: :gdog:
E28F797C-5F98-4D5A-BA1A-37BFBCB0E266.jpeg
All scaps are courtesy of
http://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html
or by photographers / videographers credited in my message
In love with Harriett and M Family !

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:43 am

:brknhrt: :cry1: I'm sorry to announce that the Great Black Hawk was euthanisedyesterday. :cry1: :brknhrt:
All the cells of his legs was dead and nothing can be done to heal him (it was a male)
RIP little guy !
2019-02-01_10h29_12.jpg

Great Black Hawk - 1/31
Yesterday, our senior staff met onsite with two additional veterinarians as well as two wildlife biologists from the Bird Group of Maine’s Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife. Diagnostic tests that included infrared thermography and doppler ultrasound revealed no circulation at all in the feet or lower legs up to where leg feathers can be seen in the photo posted 1/28. Underneath the bandages, both feet were discolored and beginning to decompose. As of yesterday, the bird was lying down during the day, not just overnight, and was not eating as well as previously.
Frostbite is well known for its insidious progression. When the body’s cells freeze, they expand, burst, and then die. Cells that form skin, muscles, nerves, tendons, and blood vessels are all affected, and once those cells die, they cannot be brought back to life. The goal of frostbite treatment is to limit further tissue death, though the success or failure of those efforts may not be apparent for several weeks or even months. Based on how rapidly the hawk’s feet deteriorated, we suspect that the initial frostbite damage occurred well before the bird was found on the ground on January 20, when frozen feet and associated pain had likely resulted in an inability to perch. Although he may not have appeared to be in distress in the few days prior to his rescue, any injured wild animal will hide discomfort until unable to compensate.
Our treatment efforts followed the most up-to-date protocols in human and veterinary medicine. Sadly, however, because foot and leg tissues had already been irreparably damaged, those efforts came too late. For those of you who have asked, our treatment plan included topical applications to enhance skin viability, plus a suite of medications to control pain and promote blood flow to extremities: western/conventional drugs, herbal formulations, and homeopathic remedies. We also used low level (“cold”) laser treatments.
Of course, we had hoped that the frostbite damage would be minor and that the bird might be releasable. Once the extent of the damage became obvious, possibilities for prosthetics use and captive placement were discussed at length. In this bird’s case, neither option was realistic. First of all, the damage was too extensive: both legs as well as both feet had been damaged. Secondly, animals that adapt best to prosthetics are not only less severely affected, but they are also of calm temperament, comfortable around people, and used to being handled. None of us could even remotely imagine a reasonable quality of life for a wild bird having two artificial legs that would need frequent adjustment, and that would likely never be completely comfortable. Related hawk species present in North America are known for their high-strung, hyperactive temperaments, and this bird has been no exception to that general rule. During the hawk’s stay here, we often had to turn off the cage lights to discourage challenges to the cage walls. The wildlife professionals who met yesterday all agreed that the Great Black Hawk would never successfully adapt to captivity, especially without even one foot that could be used in a natural way to perch, grasp food, or land successfully after flight.
The decision to euthanize was completely unanimous among all who gathered here yesterday, though that decision was tinged with regret, sorrow, even heartbreak. It was seen by some of us as an end of suffering, and by others as the release of a spirit from its hopelessly damaged shell. Either way, all of us believed it was the only course of action that was fair to the hawk.
Although greatly saddened that this beautiful hawk could not be saved, we take some comfort in knowing that she or he touched a great many lives, bringing people together and inspiring a greater interest in the natural world. Although this was an extreme case of species displacement, with changing climate and increasing destruction of natural habitats, it is likely that we will see more and more animals dispersing from their homelands into territory they are not well adapted to. A decision as to what will happen to the remains has not been made, though several scientific institutions are under consideration. Genetic studies may finally reveal the original home of this remarkable visitor to Maine.
All of us at Avian Haven extend our profound appreciation to all of you for the good wishes, prayers, love, and support that have poured in during this remarkable bird’s stay here. We intend to dedicate your donations toward funding a special project that will enhance our ability to care for future birds, whether or not they are frostbite victims. For us, and for many of you as well, today will be a day of grieving, but also of imagining this extraordinary Great Black Hawk flying free again in some realm other than our own.
Diane Winn, Executive Director
Avian Haven Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center

RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Pascale

Post by Pascale » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:46 am

So so sad Philippe... :cry1: it’s heartbreaking
Fly free little guy :cry1: :hug: :brknhrt:
All scaps are courtesy of
http://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html
or by photographers / videographers credited in my message
In love with Harriett and M Family !

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:46 am

At least a good news about Pappa from Pot Plant Owl where Mom and two owlets died in early january (Trichomonas disease)
2019-02-01_13h40_07.jpg
from
https://www.facebook.com/potplantowl/
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:06 am

eagleslanding wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:00 am
Sad about the black hawk. I don't think Portland got the big freeze. How is or did this hawk lose his legs? The polar chill was mostly in the midwest. And they say for the eagles they can withstand these temps of -40 to -50 wind chills as their feathers act like down keeping them warm. They won 't spend time in the nest when its this cold they will go to a branch in a warmer spot. Was that in Portland Oregon.
As for me I stayed inside many states of emergency. Even asking us to turn down our furnaces to 65 and lower as per governor. Everything pretty much closed down. Yet nearby Canada running normal.And nothing closed there. So if no eagle on the nest in the northern states the eagle found a warmer spot on a branch.As for us humans because of the people that did not make it through cold snap. I am staying inside. Not a creature is stirring not even a mouse. Don't want to get caught outside.
But yes not understanding this beautiful black hawks woes.
Hi EaglesLanding, may be you can learn more here https://www.pressherald.com/2019/01/20/ ... BoNAkQkwBY and here https://www.audubon.org/news/a-mexican- ... D5ON-Lq0QE
I read too that as he was high on his legs and may be it's the reason it couldn't protects them again the cold during the snowstorms.
That's all i find
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:15 am

NestFriend wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:18 am
:rh:
E9 night shirts...I got to get me some of those :love: He is stuck in our hearts forever.

So sad about the GBH. It reminded me of another raptor that stole a piece of my heart too :rh: I wonder were our Spunky is or if he is acting like the hawk Is.

I’m having a problem posting pictures right now. Is it only me?
Hi Mimi, all was bad also for me yesterday but this morning a perfection, this forum… !
Nora from Island Rambles has many little clip about magical Spunky
https://www.facebook.com/IslandRambles/ ... 712942135/
https://www.facebook.com/IslandRambles/
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”