The Wildlife Corner

An area to chat and keep in touch with people you meet in the more formal areas of the board

Moderator: Garden Fence TA's

eagleslanding

Re: EAGLE Chatters Nest

Post by eagleslanding » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:50 pm

Don't forget tonight going into 12 midnight is the supermoon----the blood moon, the full total eclipse moon. The wolf moon. Yes it is all that rolled into one. Peak total eclipse is at 12:13 a.m. Don't foget to get some wonderful scaps of H& M's. full moon nest. Will be seen all over North America.

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:30 am

around 4h00 am for me Eagleslanding, so i will stay in my bed :mihihi:

2 sad news (Thanks to Nora from Island Rambles FB page) https://www.facebook.com/IslandRambles/

even if the last sentence of the first one (2018/09) is " All three birds are expected to recover and be released in the near future." Watch the video
Two eagles and turkey vulture rescued by Courtenay organization after mysterious oil contact
https://www.cheknews.ca/two-eagles-and- ... ct-492492/
2019-01-20_13h04_38.jpg
Copyright © 2017 CHEK Media
And the second one (2019/01) Watch the video and hear the poor eagles breathing :cry1:
Wave of sick eagles has Vancouver Island wildlife rescuers on edge
https://www.cheknews.ca/a-wave-of-sick- ... ge-526413/
2019-01-20_13h06_33.jpg
Copyright © 2017 CHEK Media
:rh: E9: 7 yo / E14 :rh:
One day in the wild is worth a lifetime in a cage. B.Shofstall
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

eagleslanding

Post by eagleslanding » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:16 am

Hey sorry the total eclipse can be seen in North and South America. As for other countries I am not sure of visibility.
I live in EST zone in USA. So that is my time zone I stated. H&M are in EST zone also.

As for France the total eclipse of the blood red moon ends at 6:30 a.m. So can see it in different phases at a range of times in your vicinity.
Here it is still pitch black out at 6:30a.m.

As for all the sick birds we do have alot of fracking here in the USA. Take a satellite view from above and be shocked. Fracking fracture.
Also after the Flint water crisis many places in here in US found they had water problems. So say something, see something do something. Any ideas what we should do to stop toxic sites.

The sun, the moon, the stars so beautiful.

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:08 am

RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:09 am

and this happens too to the bald eagles…
2019-01-21_10h51_16.jpg
2019-01-21_10h51_36.jpg
:(
https://www.facebook.com/mars.comoxvalley/
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:12 am

eagleslanding wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:16 am
Hey sorry the total eclipse can be seen in North and South America. As for other countries I am not sure of visibility. I live in EST zone in USA. So that is my time zone I stated. H&M are in EST zone also.
As for France the total eclipse of the blood red moon ends at 6:30 a.m. So can see it in different phases at a range of times in your vicinity. Here it is still pitch black out at 6:30a.m.
As for all the sick birds we do have alot of fracking here in the USA. Take a satellite view from above and be shocked. Fracking fracture.
Also after the Flint water crisis many places in here in US found they had water problems. So say something, see something do something. Any ideas what we should do to stop toxic sites.
The sun, the moon, the stars so beautiful.
Was cloudy here this early morning, so nothing to see… and still cloudy at 11h12 am local time
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:48 pm

For those that follow the Decorah North Nest, apparently there is a new Mrs.

From RRP:
We have finished combing through archival photos from 2016 to present and have confirmed that we have our same male eagle (Mr. North) going into the 2019 nesting season, but we have had a change in our female eagle (Mrs. North).

Mrs. North was clearly a unique eagle, loving partner, doting mother and excellent provider. As Bob Anderson had wished, our three years of observation allowed additional insight into the life of ‘country eagles’ compared to their city cousins at the Decorah fish hatchery nest. We know you will all have your own special memories of Mrs. North, and ours include her trademark twirl of the corn husk; braving through methomyl poisoning from tainted prey in the 2017 season; loss of her first egg in the 2018 season and her remarkable ability to produce a second clutch of two eggs while incubating them to hatch in over of foot of Spring snow. We’ll also remember her unique ability to use deadly talons to gently foot her eggs to roll them, as well as her penchant for cow placenta – aka cowghetti. Her absence leaves as much of a void as the loss of 5 of their 8 offspring, but we will always remember her legacy.

Thank you for your patience while we compiled all the data to dot the “i”s and cross all the “t”s with this assessment. It’s bittersweet. We are sad about this change, yet happy that Mr. North has a mate and it is promising that they will lay eggs for the coming nesting cycle. Our new female looks strong and is certainly a beautiful eagle. Our new pair is establishing their partnership with multiple copulations caught on camera, and strengthening their bond and commitment. With the loss of the nest in August, an RRP nest rebuild, and our eagle pair adopting it and customizing it as their own, the future looks bright at the Decorah North Nest! Note that Mr North will continue to have the same name and the new female will be DNF for Decorah North Female. She will not be known as Mrs North (that name is now retired) and she will not be Mom North either. Thank you!

Follow this link for a few more details: https://www.raptorresource.org/…/20/nor ... ouncement/
Laniebelle
Remembering Dad Decorah, the greatest eagle Dad ever
follow: Decorah, DNN, SWFEC, NEFL, AEF DC, FSV, Berry, Trio, Standley Lake, Big Bear, Smola

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:22 pm

:ohmy: I'm so sad reading your post Lanie. Finally RRP confimed the disappearance :brknhrt: of Mom Decorah North :rh: , Merci Lanie to let us know. :cry1:

I am back to the May 25th, the day she lost DN7 and DN8...
Mom Decorah North,
I can understand your despair and your suffering after the failure of your last four eggs.
DN6 in 2017, your first egg in 2018 and finally DN7 and DN8 in last May.
Possible that after that, faced with adversity, faced with a situation may be too difficult, Mom Decorah North, you finally decided to lower the wings définively but this is only my guess, that of a human...! I missed you Mom Decorah North but how good to know you certainly joined yours so beautiful chicks. Fly free, fly high with all of them !
2018-05-24_07h11_51.jpg
Mom Decorah North, DN7, DN8, two days before the tragedy
2018-05-24_07h24_41.jpg
the day before the tragedy, in black and white like i had the habit to see them live
We will meet again in another world !
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:56 am

Philjo, I was very saddened to know that Mrs. North is gone. I, too, believe that she has passed; because eagles mate for life, I don't think she would have just flown off. Something must have happened to her, other than her broken heart after losing her babies last year. Thank you for sharing the sweet photos.

I remember Mom North being fond of turkey feathers in the nest, keeping her eggs and eaglets warm under a pile of snow, and her frequent baths in the stream. She was an excellent Eagle Mom.

Here is a nice remembrance of her:
Decorah North Nest | Tribute to Mom
by Maiike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynHgmD53IcI
Laniebelle
follow: Decorah, DNN, SWFEC, NEFL, AEF DC, FSV, Berry, Trio, Standley Lake, Big Bear, Smola

eagleslanding

Post by eagleslanding » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:56 pm

Been socked in with freezing rain. The drive this morning terrible. Side roads not salted and had to back up and turn around as my car would not make it up the hill. Airport closed for many hours. A skating arena. Schools all closed. A good day to stay home. Haven't seen one bird here with the cold snap and now the freezing rain. They are probably sheltering in a warm area like a pine bog. Only see a lone squirrel traveling from tree to tree looking for his food he hid somewhere. I would rather drive in much snow than on pure ice. The salt trucks go down the side roads like mine last. No traction. But hey the kids are happy as all schools are closed down. Where are you pretty cardinal and little sparrow and blue jay. Survival.

eagleslanding

Post by eagleslanding » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:04 pm

It is so tough out there for even the toughest of birds a raptor the american bald eagle. Out there in the wild. In the country. We were all behind her. But alone, and we could not help. Another lone eagle vanishes in front of our eyes. A very loved eagle. A brave eagle.

BluSkye

Post by BluSkye » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:59 pm

Laniebelle, thanks for the reminder about the Eagleschatter group. I haven’t landed here in a while. Speaking of hard in the wild, a webcam for the Lake Pleasant Eagles nest was added in December. Maybe it’s been talked about about here, I’m not sure. It is on a cliff. AZGFD bald eagle cam will get you there. If LadyHawk reads here, I would like to thank her for the video of the ravens taking the first egg. There isn’t a blog, so, all I could do was speculate what happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz2FSMDwY0E
This is the link for the video. Now, to catch up on what I’ve been missing. :bye 1:
BluSkye
Eagles are: beauty, bravery, courage, honour, pride, determination, and grace.

All scaps courtesy of
http://www.dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html

monieagl11

Post by monieagl11 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:34 pm

Journi and Sunnibird not sure if you saw my post today or anyone else who also wondered, i watched class session this morning and Lois was kind enough to answer a question on fish to the nest! :woohoo: The other tough skinned fish is 'a Grey Triggerfish' :grlol; :ohmy: Thank You Lois :rh: :rh:

laniebelle

Post by laniebelle » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:03 pm

We visited this lake about an hour from our home, where there have been upwards of 50 eagles gathering. You walk 1.5 miles to a viewing platform which is still about 2000 feet from the eagles. Hard to get clear photos because of the distance, but great to see so many eagles in one place. They were pretty active, flying around, landing on the ice, fishing, groups squabbling over food on the ice. So thrilling to see so many, both juvies and adults!
Attachments
DSC04164.jpg
landed in tree close to us
DSC04206.jpg
so majestic in flight
DSC04209.jpg
hard to catch those eagles in flight photos!
Laniebelle

Philjo56France

Post by Philjo56France » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:24 pm

Superb photos Lanie, Thanks ! And thanks also for the link concerning the tribute to Mom Decorah North even if i couldn't avoid :cry1: of :rh:

Here is an update from SE21 the Australian Sea Eagle, still a long way to go but better and better day after day as she is in good loving hands. https://www.facebook.com/HigherGroundRaptors/
2019-01-27_08h05_15.jpg
https://www.facebook.com/HigherGroundRaptors/
2019-01-27_08h07_05.jpg
2019-01-27_08h08_19.jpg
Merci to Peggy McDonald from Higher Ground Raptors
RIP 2017 to 2023-2024

Return to “Garden Fence Chat”