Oil and Climate Change

Discussions of issues with man's interactions with the planet
davidh
Admin

Oil and Climate Change

Post by davidh » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Dear David,

The most important gathering of world leaders on climate change is happening right now at COP24.

And Justin Trudeau isn’t there.

When the cameras roll and the world watches, he says all the right things. But behind closed doors, here is what he’s actually done:
• Bought an old pipeline with $4.5 billion dollars of taxpayer money.
• Ignored the dire warnings of UN climate scientists and refused to set ambitious (well, actually… any) climate targets.
• Created a carbon-price plan that gives special treatment to the worst polluters (wealthy oil conglomerates) and lets 80 percent of oil emissions go scot-free.
Trudeau acts as if we have time to debate what’s politically convenient. We don’t. Time is not on our side here. This summer alone we saw record heatwaves and flooding across the country. We saw freak tornadoes hit Ottawa and raging wildfires claim B.C. We mourned global climate refugees and deaths.

Now, we have 12 years to hold average global warming to no more than 1.5 degrees Celsius or face deadly environmental catastrophe. David, when it comes to our future, we can’t afford Trudeau’s climate procrastination and “politically balanced” (toothless) approach.

We only have time to do what’s environmentally necessary. And for that, I need your help. What the Green Party raises in the next two weeks will determine the kind of change we can realize in the next year. Can you make a donation today?

The climate crisis will not be solved in Poland this week. The climate crisis will be solved when Canada and others show real climate leadership. And to do that, we need to elect leaders who put our global future above short-term, petty partisan games. We must band together to secure a Green caucus for 2019.

I know you’re frustrated by the glacial pace of climate progress. I am too, which is why I’m asking you to chip in $50.00 so that we can get more Greens into government and start taking the steps we both know Canada needs to take.

In solidarity and action,

Richard Zurawski
Climate Change Critic
Green Party of Canada

P.S. Don’t forget, that after your generous tax credit, your donations cost you less. Join our movement. Donate today.

[Note - donations to political parties are not tax-deductible in the US. ~JudyB]

Return to “Planet Earth”