Giant Pandas at Zoo Atlanta ~ Lun Lun-Yang-Ya Lun & Xi Lun Family

This forum is for discussion and photos of panda bears

Moderator: Panda TA's

queenie
Topic Assistant

Re: Giant Pandas at Zoo Atlanta ~ Lun Lun-Yang-Ya Lun & Xi Lun Family

Post by queenie » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:32 pm

2020-09-30_222500.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
Amanda D.
September 23, 2020
As mentioned in previous updates, cooler weather means the giant pandas get to spend time in the outdoor habitats. This past weekend it was around the low to mid 60s for most of the day, which meant the giant pandas could spend all day outside! So far, only Yang Yang and the twins have been able to enjoy outside time, because as you probably recall from Danica’s most recent update, Lun Lun is still choosing to spend a majority of her time in the behind-the-scenes den spaces. The other day Yang Yang spent the entire day outside, sleeping on the structure, eating bamboo, and receiving “sky biscuits” (“sky biscuits” refers to when we provide food to the giant pandas from an overlook above their outdoor habitats). While tossing him down food, my aim was a little off so his bamboo did not quite reach him, and the look he gave me was like “Really, Amanda? I was comfortable right here.” I reconciled by tossing him down some of his favorites like sweet potato and apple, and all was forgiven.
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals
Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they? ~ ASV Matt. 6:26

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:51 pm

2020-10-12_214640.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
Heather R
October 2, 2020
If you have visited Zoo Atlanta in the morning recently, you may have caught a glimpse of Lun Lun out in the dayrooms or habitats. She is slowly coming out of her pseudopregnancy and is choosing to spend a little time away from her dens. However, she is not quite ready to resume her normal eating and sleeping schedule. Usually, by Noon, she wants to curl back up in her nest box behind the scenes. We expect her behavior to return to normal over the next couple of weeks.
Heather R.
Senior Keeper, Carnivores
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2020-10-12_214605.jpg
Jen A
October 5, 2020
The other day was a treat for me as it was my first time back on panda routine since before the pandemic began. Since I haven’t seen the pandas in months, I was excited to see each of them and spend a little time with each of them. Yang Yang and the twins were very indifferent about my presence. The twins were just business as usual; that is, they were happy to be fed leafeater biscuits and get some keeper attention. Yang Yang didn’t seem to care one way or another. He participated in training with me, but he definitely kept me on my toes and made sure I remembered what I was doing. Lun Lun was probably the most surprising of the day. She continues to sleep a lot as her hormones return to normal post-pseudopregnancy, but she rewarded Danica and me with a very rare play session (through the mesh, of course). We played tag back and forth through the dens, and she rolled and scattered bamboo and wood shavings all over the place. She even grabbed her paw and shook it several times, which is a typical cub (and Yang Yang) behavior when it comes to play. It was so much fun and a great way to end my day. We didn’t get any video of Lun’s play session, but be sure to visit our social networks later today to enjoy a video I took of Ya Lun and Xi Lun last week.
Jen A.
Keeper II, Mammals
Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they? ~ ASV Matt. 6:26

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:51 pm

2020-10-12_214619.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ Mama Lun ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
Danica W
October 7, 2020
Animals, just like humans, have changes in priorities and preferences as they age. As animal care professionals, it is our job to observe our animals and their behaviors to see how they might be adjusting or changing as they get older. Lun Lun and Yang Yang both just turned 23 years old, and are considered older for giant pandas. Lun Lun, having successfully birthed and reared seven cubs, has contributed impressively to the giant panda gene pool. The last few years it has been really interesting getting to know Lun Lun “post-motherhood” and understanding her more as an individual. Her priorities and motivations totally shift when she isn’t responsible for caring for cubs or getting ready to have more, and her true spunk has really shined through. The last few days she has taken a page out of Yang’s book and is soliciting play from her care team. She even recently enjoyed a giant sweet potato, something she didn’t like for over 19 years! It’s important that we give the animals the opportunity to make choices no matter what, because as Lun Lun has demonstrated, things can and do change.
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:00 pm

2020-10-20_174711.jpg
Amanda D.
October 19, 2020
Yesterday was a quiet and relaxing day in PandaLand. Danica and I set up one outdoor habitat for Lun Lun, and the other for Xi Lun and Ya Lun. After we were done training with Ya Lun and Xi Lun, we shifted them out to the outdoor space. Xi Lun ate some bamboo, but only briefly, before deciding to curl up and get comfy in the cave. Ya Lun, however, happily ate bamboo and foraged for leafeater biscuits for a while before deciding she was full and ready to join the snooze fest. It seems like Yang Yang and Lun Lun were also on the same page, as Lun went to her favorite spot (the hammock) almost immediately once in the other outdoor habitat. In the dayroom, Yang Yang went to his typical napping spot right up against the glass.
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals

(photo by Amanda D.)

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:05 pm

2020-10-20_174809.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ Ya Lun in front Xi Lun in back ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
Amanda D.
October 14, 2020
With Lun Lun being at the end of her pseudopregnancy, the Panda Care Team is observing a few signs of her returning to normal, such as an increase in appetite while also noting a slight increase in her activity levels (still only slightly, as Lun Lun is still spending more time sleeping than she is eating). With Lun venturing out from the behind-the-dens spaces, this means that guests might have a chance to see all four giant pandas out on habitat. There is a chance, however, you may see a habitat unoccupied while you’re visiting the Zoo because the Panda Care Team also has a behind-the-scenes outdoor habitat that is not viewable to guests where we like to give the bears the option of spending time. As it starts to remain cooler, we will begin to utilize this habitat more. This area is full of naturally growing bamboo, which is great because it gives the bears the opportunity to harvest their own bamboo. If you’re interested, you can find past panda updates that include pictures and videos of the bears spending time in the behind-the-scenes habitat.
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals
-----

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2020-10-20_174728b.jpg
Heather R
October 16, 2020
Last week our Horticulture Team worked in the pandas’ behind-the-scenes habitat to get it panda-ready for the season. Lun Lun was the first to venture out there this week and as usual, she loved it! She spent more time playing than eating. She ran, she pranced, she frolicked! She flung herself into some honeysuckle bushes, rolled around, and tore up some of the vegetation around her. She splashed around in the pool! Danica and I enjoyed Lun Lun’s day as much as she did! If you’re on Zoo Atlanta’s social networks, be sure to check out a video there later today.
Heather R.

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:16 pm

Thanks so much queenie for all your wonderful posts here .. sorry I haven't posted here earlier but I did peek in..

Love the picture of Yang Yang

Hope all is swell with you and yours.. we are well here .. Bev

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:47 pm

Hi & :ty: Bev, So glad you got to see them = Cool Daddy Yang loves to have fun as much the the Cubs, the Luns are getting so big, I'm glad there are 2, to recognize them quickly, and they stay pretty close to each other ~~ and still are so playful together. Little Nat'l Cubbie is 60 days old 40 days to go to His 100 Day Naming Ceremony & he is doing gr8 also. :rh: :pan:
Tub & Structure Playing
9-21-20 za in tub play.jpg
9-21-20 za in structure play.jpgb.jpg

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:06 pm

2020-10-29_185038.jpg
Danica W
October 21, 2020
Over the past three years as a member of the Giant Panda Care Team, I’ve really gotten to know the pandas here at Zoo Atlanta and all of their quirky traits. All bear species, not just giant pandas, are full of personality, and each individual has behaviors and mannerisms that make them unique. When I first started working with Lun Lun, she was a full-time panda mom taking care of rambunctious Ya Lun and Xi Lun. During that time, she was a very “down to business” panda, with her sole focus being on making sure her cubs were cared for and that she was eating enough to nurse them. I really got to know Lun Lun as an individual after the cubs were weaned and she had time to be herself and decide how she wanted to spend her days. Some days she feels like sleeping in well past 9 a.m.; other days she is up and ready to go right when we get here. One day she is all about interacting with her enrichment, and sometimes all she cares about is finding the freshest piece of bamboo to devour. She has her favorite sleeping spots, places she likes to kick back and eat, and scents she just can’t help but self-anoint with every time she encounters them. It’s so fun to observe all of the different traits our pandas at Zoo Atlanta have, despite being cared for by the same group of people in the same environment. They are very much like us in the sense that no two individuals are quite the same. Lun Lun is silly, sassy, smart, curious, and so fun to take care of. Between the four of the giant pandas, we definitely never have a dull day around here!
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:09 pm

2020-10-29_184931.jpg
Amanda D.
October 26, 2020
The giant panda care routine consists of one person in the morning for roughly half an hour before the second person comes in. The opening shift team member makes sure to feed the bears who are up, order bamboo, and set up habitats or dayroom spaces, amongst other tasks, while the closing routine takes two care team members to clean outdoor habitats/inside dayrooms and den spaces, as well as set up each area with enough overnight bamboo so that the pandas have enough until we arrive the next day. Similar to the morning, the closing routine entails a team member finishing out the last half hour by themselves. During this time, I usually feed out whatever remaining leafeater biscuits the bear (or bears) who are behind-the-scenes have left. I like closing because it’s nice to just sit with that individual for a little bit and spend some time with them before heading out for the day. The other day, after feeding out Ya Lun’s and Xi Lun’s last few biscuits, Xi Lun promptly went over to a huge pile of bamboo and started munching away. It was too cute not to get a picture of and share.
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals
(photo by Amanda D.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2020-10-29_184844.jpg
Danica W
October 28, 2020
With the cooler fall weather, we have been able to give the giant pandas their outdoor habitats for longer periods of time. Here at Zoo Atlanta, we have two outdoor habitats that are visible to guests. We also have a “secret” third habitat located behind the scenes. This habitat allows the pandas to enjoy time in a space that most closely resembles their natural habitats. We allow all of the bamboo and plants to grow freely, so the pandas are able to forage, find bamboo they think will be tasty, and harvest it themselves. This is also the habitat our pandas get the most playful in (like the video you may have recently seen of Lun Lun splashing in the pool), and it’s fun to interact with them through the protective barrier while they are up there. We can play “tag,” “chase,” and just run around and have fun while still having a safety barrier between us. They will sprint (well, as much as a panda sprints) up and down the hills, do somersaults, and often get in the pool. The easiest way to find them in this habitat is to look for shaking bamboo that indicates where they might be eating a snack.
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:35 pm

2020-11-09_233557.jpg
:grhug: ^ click 2X biggest ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
Danica W
November 2, 2020
Happy Monday, everyone! It is with bittersweet feelings that I share today is my last panda update, and I’m headed for a new adventure up north. Since becoming a Swing Keeper in the Mammal Department in 2015, I have had the pleasure of working with a huge variety of animals. After transitioning to a primary member of the Panda Care Team in 2018, it became clear to me that this was where I would be most fulfilled and able to demonstrate Zoo Atlanta’s mission.
Caring for Yang Yang, Lun Lun, Ya Lun, Xi Lun, and Idgie has been the privilege of a lifetime. Pandas often draw people in based off their obvious cuteness, but their unique personalities and ability to constantly make me smile got me hooked. Regardless of what was going on in the outside world, I could always count on them to make me laugh and keep me on my toes. Pandas are big goofballs and always up to something silly, which I could relate to on a personal level. Also, who doesn’t love constant snacks and naps?
We all know Lun Lun is a supermom, but getting to know her post-motherhood has been such a treat. She is silly, sweet, and so smart. She’s also ridiculous when she wants to be, and as much as it pained me, I chuckled every time she would go through an entire pile of bamboo and individually toss aside the pieces that weren’t “good” enough.
Meeting Ya Lun and Xi Lun at about 7 months old and watching them grow has been a huge highlight for me. They went from little balls of floof to larger balls of floof full of personality. Xi Lun’s coy but confident demeanor is the best, and I will always think of Ya Lun as a little Tonka Truck.
I’ve never been shy about the special place in my heart that will always have a spot for Yang Yang. That kid is the goofiest of them all, and I’ll miss him kicking my butt at Tug of War and the silly yawn noise he makes when he’s waking up in the morning.
Memories of Idgie and her quirks will always make me smile. She was a special one, and grapes will remind me of that little diva forever.
It’s safe to say I’ve got enough memories from my time at Zoo Atlanta to keep me smiling for a lifetime, and I’ve experienced so many neat things. I’ve enjoyed writing these updates the last few years and hope I was able to teach you something new along the way! Please continue to love and support pandas along with all of the animals here at Zoo Atlanta not just for their amazing personalities and uniqueness, but for their important roles in their ecosystems and deservingness they have to be protected in their natural habitats. I may be leaving the Panda Care Team, but I’m hopping on over to your team and will be supporting and cheering on Zoo Atlanta for years to come.
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
{q. you have done such a gr8 job with our pandas, I agree it must be difficult to leave, but we wish you the very best in your future ~ Godspeed with :pan: :rh: }

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:41 pm

2020-11-09_233624.jpg
Michelle E.
November 6, 2020
People often ask us how to tell Ya Lun and Xi Lun apart, and our go-to answer is to look at their eye markings. Xi Lun has very distinctive eye markings which turn upward in the bottom corners, much like “cat-eye” makeup. This is very useful to us, but there’s a chance it is also useful to giant pandas! A 2008 study sought to discover whether giant pandas have the cognitive skills to tell the difference between the eye markings of other pandas. They began with shapes that were fairly easy to discriminate between and slowly made the challenges more difficult. Eventually, the two juvenile giant pandas in the study were being asked to tell the difference between shapes that closely mimicked giant panda eye markings that were only subtly different from one another, and they excelled! What’s more, they remembered these discriminations when tested again six and twelve months later!
This doesn’t necessarily mean that giant pandas use the eye markings to tell each other apart, but this experiment shows that it is possible. There could be many purposes behind the coloring of those famous panda faces, and every study adds to our knowledge about them. This November, I am thankful for all of the amazing the scientists who seek out knowledge and expand our understanding of the world’s amazing creatures!
Paper Citation: Dungl, E., Schratter, D., & Huber, L. (2008). Discrimination of face-like patterns in the giant panda (Ailuropoda melanoleuca). Journal of Comparative Psychology, 122(4), 335–343. https://doi.org/10.1037/0735-7036.122.4.335
Michelle E.
Keeper III, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2020-11-09_233638.jpg
Amanda D.
November 9, 2020
Recently while the Panda Care Team was cleaning the glass that separates the dayroom from one of the outdoor spaces, the twins immediately ran over to investigate what we were up to. Before our presence had caught their attention, they had been playing and chasing each other around in the dayroom, but it only took seconds for Ya Lun and Xi Lun to come over once they knew what we were up to. Both the girls love to jump up and swipe at the squeegee as it goes by, and so we spent a good 15 minutes playing with them before finishing up our task. Ya Lun, who was still in a really playful mood, took the opportunity to catch her sister off guard while she was distracted by the squeegee and jump on her. Check out a video on our social networks later today to see this silly moment!
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals
(photo by Danica W.) < :ty: nice one, so cute!
:vid: https://www.facebook.com/ZooATL/videos/ ... 65662/?t=5 < video 25 seconds~Panda vs. Squeegee & Panda Attack :giggle: OR on Twitter >
https://twitter.com/i/status/1325982439706071041
^<
11-9-20 za squeegee play.jpg

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:24 pm

2020-11-17_212003.jpg
^ click 2X biggest, then go to return arrow on top left screen, back to post
Michelle E.
November 13, 2020
Last week, I wrote an update about how research has shown that giant pandas have the ability to distinguish between even very subtly different eye markings, and so may be using those black patches around their eyes as unique “fingerprints” to identify each other. Since then, I have had some other really cool research shared with me.
Researchers working in tandem with our partners in giant panda conservation, the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding, have developed an app that puts facial recognition technology to work on giant pandas! They created an algorithm based on 163 photos of 28 giant pandas living at Chengdu. Interestingly, the app currently cannot identify whether something is a giant panda face, but once it knows that’s what it’s looking at, it is able to tell the difference between two individual panda faces. It even works if the giant panda’s face is turned away from the camera a little, or if the panda is eating.
The most exciting part of this comes when considering its practical applications. There are many camera traps set up in the giant pandas’ natural habitat in the wild in China. Scientists analyzing footage from those cameras will be able to take a still shot of the face of a giant panda who has walked by their camera trap and, using this app, compare it to the other wild giant panda face pictures they have been able to obtain with camera traps. That will give them a better estimate of how many individuals are inhabiting the areas they are studying, and better inform population management decisions.
There’s also a fun, not-as-scientific application for this program as well. The Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding has said they are going to make it possible for their visitors to use the app to identify the many giant pandas that live at their center! You probably won’t need the app at Zoo Atlanta, though — our four giant pandas are pretty easy to tell apart, and our wonderful Education Guides are always happy to help if you aren’t sure!
Matkowski, Wojciech Michal, et al. “Giant Panda Face Recognition Using Small Dataset.” 2019 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), Sept. 2019, arxiv.org/abs/1905.11163, 10.1109/icip.2019.8803125. Accessed 10 Nov. 2020.
Michelle E.
Keeper III, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A Panda Creative Moment Playing Tether-ball Upside Down
2020-11-11_211612.jpg
^ click bigger, then go to return arrow on top left screen, back to post

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:43 pm

2020-12-04_004449.jpg

Michelle E.
November 23, 2020
Lately I’ve been writing about panda-related research: why giant pandas may have their particular black-and-white patterning and how their eye patches may function as a way to identify one another. Today, though, I’d like to focus on another aspect of pandas: it’s a fact – they’re cute! We are professionals on the Panda Care Team, to be sure, but every single time I care for the pandas, we have multiple instances of melting a little (or a lot) at the undeniable cuteness of these animals.
Xi Lun and Ya Lun were enjoying some outdoor time, and Amanda and I went to check on them. We were walking along discussing our plan for the rest of the day like the professionals we are, when BAM — Xi Lun was asleep in a leaf pile and it was unbearably adorable! We couldn’t help but stop and take photos, which we immediately sent to the rest of the Panda Care Team! Later, we were cleaning one of the indoor dayrooms when Lun Lun came over and put her paw on the window to watch us work, and we just HAD to go over and match our hands to her paw on the glass. Who could resist?
I hope you too are able to take time to stop and appreciate all the cuteness in your lives, whatever form it may take!
Michelle E.
Keeper III, Mammals

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:43 pm

2020-12-04_004519.jpg
:hi: Jackie ^ click 2X biggest, then go to return arrow on top left screen, back to post

Heather R
November 30, 2020
The Zoo is abuzz with excitement about the arrival of our new red panda, Jackie! Zoo Atlanta teammates and guests alike are already enamored with him. Idgie will always be in our hearts and can never be replaced, but the Panda Team is incredibly happy to have a red panda to take care of again.
Jackie couldn’t be more different from Idgie! Firstly, he is a different sub-species of red panda than Idgie. Jackie is a Himalayan red panda (Ailurus fulgens fulgens), which are found in Nepal, Tibet, India, Bhutan, and Burma. Idgie was a Chinese red panda (Ailurus fulgens refulgens), which is endemic to China and shares habitat with giant pandas. Jackie is also very young at 3 years old. Zoo Atlanta was Idgie’s retirement home and was 8 years old when she arrived here. Jackie is super playful, nimble, and quick! We are still getting used to how fast he moves and finding him in the habitat (don’t forget to look up! Red pandas spend most of the lives in trees!) because he is all over the place. As with most pandas (red or giant), his favorite thing is eating! He gets so excited at his feeding times and eats a lot of bamboo every day. We look forward to getting to know Jackie better over the coming weeks and sharing him with you.
Heather R.
(photo by Shauna)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2020-12-04_004701.jpg
:ty: Amanda & :pan: & JOY to all ZA^ click 2X biggest, then go to return arrow on top left screen, back to post

Amanda D.
December 2, 2020
With the holiday season here, and the end of the year approaching, I’ve been reflecting on this past year. For starters, I’d like to thank everyone who has supported the Zoo. Whether through a donation or simply by sharing one of our posts on social media, you’ve helped us during a tough year, and words cannot express our appreciation enough for your support. I am also thankful for the opportunity to work with the giant pandas and red panda. Moments where I’m spending one-on-one time with one of the animals I care for, whether it’s training, feeding, or playing tug-of-war or chase, are all moments that fill me with gratitude and have brought me a lot of joy during a challenging year. I hope that wherever you are, you’re able to find some joy during this holiday season. And don’t forget, if you need a pick-me-up, tune into PandaCam where hopefully a dose of panda cuteness will help make you feel better.
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:52 pm

2020-12-15_153253.jpg
Adrianna L.
December 7, 2020
Hi everyone! My name is Adrianna, and I am somewhat new around here. Way back when, in 2015, I was an intern with the Carnivore and Panda Team and now I’m back! I joined the Zoo Atlanta team permanently in 2017 with our Outback Team, taking care of sheep, goats, and all those jazzy animals, and now I have come back to our Mammal Team as a Swing Keeper! Now I have the cool opportunity to help out in all the areas that care for our lions, giraffes, rhino, warthogs, and giant pandas!
Let me tell you how excited I was to start my training in the giant panda area; boy did I miss these amazing bears! Once my training began, it all came flooding back to me. I remembered how cold it was in the panda building, which after another hot and humid summer in the petting zoo was a welcome relief, and how much I enjoy watching the pandas eat bamboo. After working with a few different animals, it is clear to me that nothing will ever be as good as sitting and watching a giant panda eat bamboo. The way they sit back, bite into a piece of bamboo, tear off the outer culm, and munch on the inner parts of bamboo somehow makes me envious of their snack! Crazy, right? Who would think that I wish I could eat a piece of bamboo just like I would munch on potato chips or baby carrots?! The pandas simply make bamboo seem like the tastiest food on the planet, and I become instantly calmed while watching them enjoy their food. I am so happy to be back with the giant pandas and will savor my time watching them crunch on all the bamboo I can give them!
Adrianna R.
Swing Keeper, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2020-12-15_153229.jpg
Amanda D.
December 9, 2020
The other day Swing Keeper Adrianna pulled out one of Ya Lun and Xi Lun’s favorite enrichment items: the tire swing! Enrichment is an important aspect of the care of all the animals here at the Zoo, with the purpose of providing the animals with physical or mental stimulation and promoting natural behaviors. Once we moved the girls from a behind-the-scenes den space out into the dayroom, they spent a little bit of time foraging for leafeater biscuits, but we knew eventually they would notice the tire swing. Sure enough, they eventually noticed the tire swing and started chasing each other and jumping onto it. We could not stop laughing while watching them climb up on the tire swing and start spinning around. Adrianna quickly pulled out her phone to record a short clip of Ya Lun spinning around on the tire swing so that we could share the fun with you too – be sure to check out the video on our social networks later today!
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals

Return to “Pandas”