Giant Pandas at Zoo Atlanta ~ Lun Lun-Yang-Ya Lun & Xi Lun Family

This forum is for discussion and photos of panda bears

Moderator: Panda TA's

queenie
Topic Assistant

Re: Giant Pandas at Zoo Atlanta ~ Lun Lun-Yang-Ya Lun & Xi Lun Family

Post by queenie » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:54 pm

2020-04-15_213832.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
Danica W
April 6, 2020
:rh: :cry1: We recently had to make the difficult decision to say goodbye to the smallest but mightiest of our panda family here at Zoo Atlanta, Idgie the red panda. At nearly 14 years old, Idgie was considered geriatric for her species, and what she lacked in size she more than made up for in personality. Full of spunk, she immediately stole the hearts of everyone who met her, care team and guests alike. She captivated many with her extreme cuteness and kept all of us on our toes daily, constantly challenging us and helping us grow as animal caregivers. Known lovingly in our department as our “training rock star,” that girl would voluntarily participate in all her training as long as you had grapes. As she got older and her arthritis developed, it was a true team effort to make sure that we made her as happy, comfortable, and engaged as possible. I think one of the things I will remember most when I think of Idgie will be the collaborative effort we all made for her. Members of Animal Care, Veterinary Team, Maintenance and Horticulture all brainstormed and worked tirelessly to make sure she had everything she needed. It was a lot of work, but our Idgie was worth it, and we were rewarded by getting to watch her comfortably live out her golden years.
Idgie was an amazing ambassador for her species, introducing many to red pandas and inspiring them to help act against the illegal pet trade and the effect it has on wild red panda populations. She had a huge fan base, and none of us could walk to her habitat without hearing a guest say how cool, unique, or just downright cute she was. She might not have known it, but she did and will continue to have a big impact on red panda conservation.
Being an animal care professional is one of the coolest jobs on Earth. These animals hold a big presence in our hearts, and saying goodbye to them never gets any easier. We are all heartbroken but can take pride in knowing that Idgie, like all the animals here at Zoo Atlanta, got the best possible care we could provide and immeasurable love from her care team and fans. I can safely speak for all of us when I say that caring for Idgie and getting to know her quirky personality was a true privilege, and things around here just won’t be the same without her. I’ll miss the way she wiggled her tail when she was scent-marking, how excited she got for grapes, and the little vocalization she made when she thought we weren’t being quick enough about delivering her breakfast. This might be the last Panda Update about Idgie, but I hope she has left just as big of a paw print on your hearts as she has on ours, and that you continue to learn and help combat the threats that are causing these amazing animals’ decline. We will miss you, Idgie!
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5-2-20 za idgie.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they? ~ ASV Matt. 6:26

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:02 am

Queenie so sorry to read this :cry1: :brknhrt: My deepest sympathy to you and all you loved and cared for Idgie.. but what a wonderful life she had and bought joy to so many.. :love:

:hug: to all!

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:39 pm

Thank you Bev, she was wonderful and always had a big crowd around her yard, watching her always busy, everyone did love her ~ she was a total J O Y & such a precious memory :rh:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2020-04-24_200239.jpg
Danica W
April 17, 2020
This week, Ambassador Animals Team members Megan and Wendy brought some new friends to visit the pandas! Olaf and Sven the Gulf Coast native sheep were out for a walk on grounds, and Megan and Wendy brought them up to visit the pandas outside their outdoor habitats. This was the first time Ya Lun or Xi Lun had ever seen a member of our Petting Zoo herd, so we all wondered how they would react. They didn’t seem to notice much and were more concerned with the fresh bamboo shoots we had given them. Like the pandas, Olaf and Sven were very focused on their keepers as they visited this new place, and looked to them for yummy reinforcement for good behavior in the form of sheep grain. There was a brief moment (pictured) where we think everyone noticed each other, but they all quickly went back to snacking. How did Yang Yang and Lun Lun react you ask? Well, they slept through the entire thing, of course. Naps are important business around here.
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
(photos by Danica W.)
q. I hope they took them to see Lun & Yang too, they've been watching the windows for fans/friends to come back! :( :grhug: Oh no, I saw the adults were tired and were napping and missed them & the Luns looked fascinated
Mama Lun & Daddy Yang Watching Windows
4-23-20 za both parents watching window.jpg
Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they? ~ ASV Matt. 6:26

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sat May 02, 2020 10:02 pm

2020-05-02_230655.jpg
Danica W
April 29, 2020
It’s the giant pandas’ and Panda Care Team’s favorite time of year: bamboo shoot season! Bamboo shoots are popping up on Zoo grounds, as well as at some of the sites where our Bamboo Team is harvesting. Bamboo shoots look a lot like asparagus coming out of the ground, and they only show up for a short time each spring. They are nutrient dense and the pandas eat the whole thing minus the protective sheath. For that reason, the bamboo shoots fill the pandas up a lot quicker and are way easier for us to clean up in comparison to the bamboo shrapnel that is scattered in the habitats after the pandas enjoy older bamboo growth. Bamboo shoots are juicy, crunchy, and you might have enjoyed bamboo shoots yourself, as they are used in a variety of delicious dishes that originate in Asia. Thanks to shoot season, all of the pandas are putting on a little extra weight and sleeping a little more. If this is what your quarantine routine looks like, don’t fret. The giant pandas are right there with you.
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
(Check out a video on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter by Danica W.)
:vid: https://www.facebook.com/ZooATL/videos/ ... 32939044/ Earthday 2020 Enrichment 1.32 minutes Panda at .40
:vid: https://www.facebook.com/ZooATL/videos/208381890453044/
:vid: https://twitter.com/i/status/1248279804031500288 56 seconds
Lun Lun Splashing in the Pool 57 seconds so cute :%:
see photo next post >
It's the giant pandas' and Panda Care Team's favorite time of year: bamboo shoot season! (Video by Danica W.)
:vid: https://twitter.com/i/status/1255603075932475392 37 seconds ~ so sweet twins eating shoots ~ and turn on sound
2020-05-03_001848.jpg
^ click bigger ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
:vid: https://twitter.com/i/status/1252983236055236612 49 seconds panda opening treat box~Apr 22
To change the world, we need everyone to add their voice. Join the millions around the world mobilizing for a better planet by checking out https://buff.ly/HPM0kt. What will you to do mark 50 years of @EarthDayNetwork
2020-05-03_002033.jpg
^ click bigger ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sat May 02, 2020 10:35 pm

cont. from above post Mama Lun Lun Splashing in Pool
2020-05-03_002807.jpg
^ click bigger ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post :woohoo:

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Mon May 18, 2020 9:01 pm

2020-05-18_225354.jpg

Zoo Atlanta will be open to the public as of Saturday, May 16, 2020.

Danica W
May 18, 2020
Things have been fairly normal for the giant pandas since our last update. The pandas didn’t seem to notice the lack of visitors prior to reopening the Zoo, and they also haven’t shown any reaction to visitors returning. Giant pandas are happy wherever they have bamboo, and they (and the Panda Care Team) have been enjoying bamboo shoot season quite a bit. It’s normal for the pandas to put on a little water weight during shoot season, and they can even gain over 20 pounds a day (most of which is discarded overnight for us to clean up in the morning). When the giant pandas show us that they want bamboo through their behavior (vocalizing, walking around the habitat, etc.) we give them as much as we think they’ll need to be satiated and take a nap. We don’t really notice quite how much bamboo we have gone through until we do our calculations at the end of the day. While finishing up those calculations yesterday, I had to do a double take to make sure I didn’t goof up the numbers. We used over 530 pounds of bamboo! I double checked, and sure enough, the numbers came back the same. It was the most I had seen us use in a single day since I joined the Panda Care Team, and I was especially surprised because we had almost no bamboo waste at the end of the day. Needless to say, we definitely had some happy, full pandas yesterday, and some very grateful caregivers who are glad we are lucky enough to have our own Bamboo Team to harvest for the pandas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
:vid: 25 second=Pine shavings in a barrel is one of my favorite enrichment items https://twitter.com/i/status/1267562168381313025
Danica W
June 1, 2020
Giant pandas have super thick fur, so they are not very heat tolerant and don’t usually want to be outside during Georgia summers. On most days by about Noon, it is too warm to have the pandas in the outdoor habitats, so two groups go to the climate-controlled indoor dayrooms, and one group stays in their behind-the-scenes den areas in the building. All of our giant pandas enjoy being behind the scenes every once in a while; in their minds it means an increased chance of seeing the Panda Care Team and therefore an increased chance of getting some leafeater biscuits (don’t tell the pandas, but they get an allotted amount every day regardless of their location in the habitats). I always enjoy having a panda behind the scenes while we are cleaning and doing routine for the day. For the Care Team, it’s great to have another friend around while we are busy getting everything done. The pandas are just the kind of friends who eat snacks the whole time, then sleep on the job. Pine shavings in a barrel is one of my favorite enrichment items to give the pandas while they are behind the scenes with us. I call it the “cub in a tub.” Be sure to check on a video on our social networks later today!
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Luns Outside
5-10-20 za outside twins.jpg
The Luns Inside & Daddy Yang
5-10-20 za inside & yang outside.jpg

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:42 pm

2020-06-18_002133.jpg
Amanda D.
June 17, 2020
During this time, the Carnivore Team has changed up the way we do a few things to ensure the safety and well-being of the animals are being met. You’ve probably already seen that all Zoo Atlanta team members and animal care professionals are wearing masks, and additionally, are maintaining social distance with other Zoo Atlanta teammates, as well as the animals that we care for. Out of an abundance of caution, we make sure to maintain six feet between us and the giant pandas even when we are training.
For the Panda Care Team, we have been using a PVC pipe to maintain six feet while being able to offer them reinforcement. First, we introduce the PVC pipe to the bear. Holding one end near the mesh and making sure we don’t see any behaviors that signal they are not comfortable. We continue to acclimate them to it by feeding them with reinforcement using the PVC. Once we have seen that they have remained calm and are not showing any signs of being bothered by it, we can continue with our training session by asking the individual for different behaviors. So far, all of the bears have been introduced to this new type of training. It has certainly taken them some getting used to, as it’s very different from what they know! Recently Heather and I did a training session with Yang Yang, and he did great! He was very interested in the PVC pipe but wasn’t bothered by it at all. Even despite the current circumstances, we are able to come up with novel ways to continue engaging and interacting with the bears while continuing to be safe and socially distant!
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
q. glad to read above update ^ to see Zoo Atlanta has created gr8 plans of how to "engage & interact with the bears" & be able to "introduce a new type of training" to deal with social distancing & of course our smart & trusting bears :rh: are cooperating like the stars they are!
Here We Are Enjoying Probably Their Favorite Scent=Enrichment for the Twins {looked like one scouted it out and relayed/inspired the message :hooray: to the other :huggie: }
6-14-20 za enjoying scents x2.jpg

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:46 pm

2020-06-18_002448.jpg
Shauna
June 10, 2020
Now that bamboo shoot season is done, it is time for the next type of bamboo. We just started offering a favorite of the giant pandas at this time of year, arrow bamboo (Pseudosasa japonica). As one might imagine, it has been a hit so far. Arrow bamboo is a really long and skinny bamboo with only a few leaves on top. Generally the pandas don’t eat the leaves of the arrow. so the Bamboo Team cuts off the top portion and shares them with the Elephant Team. While it is hard sometimes to convince the pandas that shoot season is actually done, arrow usually makes for a suitable substitute.
Shauna
Keeper II, Mammals
(photo by Shauna)
2020-06-18_180116.jpg
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2020-06-18_002149.jpg
Danica W
June 15, 2020
With the warmer weather, we almost always have one (or two if it’s the twins) giant pandas behind the scenes with us. As mentioned in previous updates, the giant pandas enjoy these days, because in their opinion we are more easily accessible to give them as many leafeater biscuits as they may need. We like make sure their den areas are as comfortable and enriching as their outdoor habitats and dayrooms are, so we often have one of the hammocks set up for the pandas to lounge in. Yang Yang and the twins tend to use it as more of a table to rest their bamboo on while eating. Lun Lun takes full advantage of the hammock, and can often be found napping, eating, or using it as a trampoline to interact with her care team. Lun Lun doesn’t get too playful very often, but she makes up for it with enthusiasm! Be sure to check out a video on Zoo Atlanta’s social networks later today!
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
:vid: https://www.facebook.com/ZooATL/videos/266276778054881/ 32 second video of Lun funny & active, turn on sound :giggle:

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:17 pm

photos from Zoo Atlanta 32 second Video :vid: on facebook above, ^ Mama Lun played fast & fun! :%:
2020-06-26_000538.jpg
2020-06-26_000703.jpg
2020-06-26_000707.jpg

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:49 pm

Thanks so much queenie ..... I love the video :) Hope all is well with you and yours :hug:

We are all well here :)

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:31 pm

Hi Bev,
Thank you, Lun was playing hard in the video. Glad you are doing well, I am too, hope everyone is in these different times.
2020-07-19_221815.jpg

:vid: 38 Seconds :giggle: https://www.facebook.com/ZooATL/videos/983775162054062/ >
Amanda D.
July 17, 2020
As Michelle E. mentioned the other day, the panda office contains monitors that allow us to view multiple spaces throughout the building, which helps us to determine next steps in routine as we check on each bear. One day, while I was checking on everyone, I noticed that Ya Lun was still napping on her usual spot on the structure in the dayroom, but Xi Lun was awake. Instead of sitting on the ground next to a pile of arrow bamboo, she decided the best spot to eat it was on top of the structure next to her sister. She lounged back and got int ^ a comfy position, resting her head on her sister, and started eating. It was one of those moments that immediately put a smile on my face. If you need a little pick-me-up, check out a video clip on our social networks later today!
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2020-07-19_221849.jpg
Michelle E.
July 15, 2020
So many of you tune in to our PandaCam daily, but did you know that we do too? Our office is filled with monitors showing views of the pandas. They show the dayrooms, the outdoor habitats, and the behind-the-scenes dens. It is difficult for us to see directly into the panda dayrooms from behind the scenes, but the cameras let us check up on the pandas constantly. We often make decisions about our next steps in our daily routine by checking the cameras to see which pandas are asleep, happily eating, or acting interested in another round of bamboo. We also simply enjoy it as much as you do! We frequently call each other over to see the silly thing one of the pandas is doing – usually the twins having a raucous play session or Yang Yang getting really into a good itch on a log.
Michelle E.
Keeper III, Mammals

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:33 pm

2020-07-09_002001.jpg
Heather R
June 26, 2020
In my 14-plus years as a member of the Panda Care Team at Zoo Atlanta, I have never worked a day in June where the pandas have been in the outdoor habitats all day. Usually, in June, it’s too warm by the time we arrive in the morning for them to go outside at all. We had a couple of days last week when the temperatures were cool enough for the pandas to spend the entire day outside. It’s my observation that the pandas don’t really mind if they are inside or outside as long as they have good quality bamboo; however, it did seem like a nice change of scenery for them to be outdoors during a season that they usually only experience inside.
Heather R.
Senior Keeper, Carnivores
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2020-07-09_002141.jpg
^ click bigger ~ Po's Twins Bao Mei and Bao Ge, 1 year old today, at the Chengdu Panda Base :rh: after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
Heather R
July 6, 2020
It’s a special day for the Panda Care Team because Po’s twins are 1 today! :cake: If you’re new to the Atlanta pandas, Po :grhug: was Lun Lun Lun’s third and first female cub. She was born Nov. 3, 2010, and lived with Lun Lun until she was weaned in spring 2013. She moved to the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding, where her parents were born, in May 2014. At the Panda Base, she is known as A Bao or Bao Lan, to differentiate her from another Po who lives there. In summer 2019, Po experienced her first pregnancy, and on July 6, gave birth to twins, a male and a female! Po’s cubs were the heaviest set of twins at birth on record at 211 grams and 209 grams! The average weight of a single newborn panda is 150 grams, and twins are usually lighter. While Lun Lun’s and Yang Yang’s sons have both sired cubs, Po is the first of their offspring to rear her own cubs. They’re the second generation of mother-reared cubs and are a testament to Lun Lun’s excellent maternal care. I was just a few feet away when Po was born, and as one of her former caregivers, I’m so proud of her, our panda program, and our partnership with the Chengdu Research Base. On this special day, we have an exclusive update from James Ayala, one of the staff at the Base:
“Po is an amazing first-time mother. As mom to the twin cubs with the heaviest birth weight in the world, she literally has her paws filled nursing them. She has always had a great appetite. Although she did not really like our local ‘panda bread’ when she first arrived, she now loves it and is even more excited that it is bamboo shoot season! Eating these foods is the best way for her to keep her calories high for feeding her cubs. Bao Ge, the male cub, is more outgoing and more interested in wrestling with his mom, while Bao Mei, the female cub, is more inclined to observe her mom and brother’s play from the safety of her favorite tree. When feeling less introverted, Bao Mei will join in the play and chaos ensues. Po and her cubs are a shining example of the successful collaboration between the Panda Base and Zoo Atlanta to conserve giant pandas.”
(photo by Cui Kai)
Heather R.
Senior Keeper, Carnivores

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:01 pm

2020-07-09_002341.jpg
Amanda D.
July 8, 2020
Giant pandas have a powerful jaw structure that helps them break the tough exterior of bamboo. Their jaw muscles are attached at the sagittal crest at the tops of their heads, which is what allows them to have such a strong jaw force. Giant pandas also have some unique features regarding their dentition compared with other members of the carnivore family. In “The Carnivores” by R.F. Ewer, the author states that giant pandas have an “elaboration of the crushing features..” with “broad, flat molars” and a jaw that allows for more “sideways grinding” compared with other carnivores. He adds that “the posterior premolars are [also] important. In bears, the emphasis on the molars is greater, and the premolars are more reduced”. These dental traits seen in giant pandas are adaptations that result in why they are such chompy chewers!
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:05 pm

2020-07-19_221923.jpg
Michelle E.
July 10, 2020
On Tuesday, I was able to work in the giant panda building for the first time since March, and it was SO great to see the pandas again! As part of our efforts toward social distancing, we have been limiting the number of care team members working in each area. I have been working solely on the meat-eating side of the Carnivore Department. However, the fates aligned for me to be needed in the panda area Tuesday, and I am so happy they did! Being a Swing Keeper, I expect to have periods of not seeing some of the animals I care for, but four months was an especially long time to be away!
Sadly, I missed all of bamboo shoot season, but working with arrow bamboo feels surprisingly similar. Instead of big, leafy piles to pick up as we have with henon or yellow groove bamboo, the pandas typically leave behind shreds of arrow bamboo in big piles which are easy to scoop into a waste container. Lun Lun especially has been a big fan of the arrow bamboo lately. But since they are pandas, that could change at any moment! Thankfully we have a fantastic Bamboo Team always on the lookout for the next bamboo option for our picky pandas!
Michelle E.
Keeper III, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2020-07-19_221903.jpg
Amanda D.
July 13, 2020
As you probably recall reading from past panda updates, when Yang Yang is feeling playful, the Panda Care Team can do things like play-chase where we run on our side of the mesh (there’s always a protective barrier between us and a bear), as well as tug-of-war (which always results in Yang winning, of course). Prior to and during these play sessions, Yang Yang will grab his pseudo-thumb and shake his head, which communicates to us that he is feeling playful. The other day while he was in one of the behind-the-scenes den areas, Shauna and I offered him a half plastic barrel filled with ice and produce as enrichment. Typically, water play is a natural behavior observed in giant pandas during breeding season, but Yang Yang has been known to exhibit this behavior outside of breeding season. By utilizing enrichment devices like the half plastic barrel or tubs, we can offer the pandas a novel and creative way to elicit this natural behavior. Sure enough, we caught Yang Yang attempting to sit in the half barrel and roll around in the ice, which was a hilarious sight to see – check out a video on our social networks later today!
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yang Feeling Playful Today With The Blue Jolly Ball ~ 7/19/20
7-19-20 yang plays blue jolly ball.jpg

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:00 pm

Video of Yang Yang playing in ice :cold1: as reported in 7/13 update above ^ ~ turn on sound
:vid: 25 seconds https://www.facebook.com/ZooATL/videos/299556837854416/ :giggle:

Return to “Pandas”