queenie
Topic Assistant

Re: Giant Pandas at Zoo Atlanta ~ Lun Lun-Yang-Ya Lun & Xi Lun Family

Post by queenie » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:03 am

2018-06-22_105754.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
Shauna D
June 20, 2018
We celebrated all of the Zoo’s animal fathers here on Father’s Day this past Sunday. Yang Yang received all sorts of special enrichment, including themed boxes and “scent-cicles.” He, of course, went straight for the boxes, as he knew there were likely leafeater biscuits inside. After taking a quick bamboo break, he moved on to the scent-cicles which were hanging from the climbing structure. When he couldn’t reach the ice blocks from the ground, he decided his best option was to climb. After he was sufficiently covered in his favorite scents, he happily went back to his bamboo lunch. Hopefully all the fathers out there had a Father’s Day as fun as Yang Yang’s.
Shauna
Keeper II, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Happy Belated Father's Day Cool Daddy Yang :rh:
2018-06-15_121842.jpg
^ Click bigger ~ Daddy Yang
Daddy Yang & His Family :grhug:
6-22-18 za lun, yang, twins.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ Mama Lun, Yang, Twin Luns :huggie:
Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they? ~ ASV Matt. 6:26

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:40 pm

2018-06-26_182912.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
Shauna D
June 25, 2018
The other day for enrichment we decided to give the giant pandas cinnamon. When the pandas receive sensory enrichment such as scents, they generally self-anoint with it. Self-anointing just means they rub the scent all over themselves.
Yang Yang and Xi Lun were more interested in food so they mostly ignored the scent. Ya Lun couldn’t resist the urge to self-anoint and even tried to use her sister to anoint on. After several failed attempts to get her sister involved, Ya Lun anointed alone for a bit before also going back to her bamboo. Lun Lun, on the other hand, went crazy for the cinnamon. She anointed for at least seven minutes, which is unusual for them. They usually just anoint for a minute or so, then go back to searching for food. That day however, she just kept going back to the cinnamon and rubbing it all over herself. She would smell her paws and realize there was some there and go back to anointing. Every time we looked back at her, there she was rolling around in the cinnamon. It was quite something to watch and nice to see her take a break from bamboo to enjoy her enrichment.
Shauna
Keeper II, Mammals
Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they? ~ ASV Matt. 6:26

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:13 pm

2018-06-27_160818.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
Hello from PandaLand! It’s been awhile since I have worked more than a day here and there on giant panda routine, and this week I have the honor of spending my entire week with our black, white, and red bamboo-eaters!
All of the pandas have been a bit finicky about eating the bamboo we have on offer over the last few days. We’re lucky to have several strategies up our sleeves that help us encourage the pandas to eat their bamboo. One that we have discussed in previous updates is a leafeater biscuit feeding. This is basically a training session in which we ask the panda to eat bamboo, and if they eat just one bite, they receive a reward (a leafeater biscuit). Usually by the time we are done with the session, they have decided that the bamboo isn’t all that bad anyway.
Another thing we can try is hiding leafeater biscuits and pieces of produce inside feeder toys. This prolongs the time that it takes for the pandas to find their supplemental leafeater biscuits, which also encourages them to eat more bamboo in the process. Lun Lun is usually pretty content to work her way through a feeder toy, and if she doesn’t get all the biscuits out on the first try, she usually comes back over and over until she gets all of the biscuits out.
Yang Yang is a much tougher customer when it comes to encouraging him to spend time working for his food. He would much prefer that we put all of the leafeater biscuits in one pile on the floor …or better yet, his loving care team could feed him biscuits one after another! This makes offering Yang various feeding opportunities a challenge. I have enjoyed trying different ideas over the last couple of days. Today’s feeding opportunities were quite successful. I hung a feeder ball just above his head in one of his behind-the-scenes dens, and he had to reach up to manipulate the ball and get the biscuits out. After one feeding, he had retrieved all but one biscuit! This is probably a record success for him. I enjoyed watching him try to get all of the biscuits out, and he even checked the ball later in the feeding to see if he had forgotten any. His favorite enrichment item today was a honeycomb toy that had been stuffed with hay and biscuits and hung across his den so that he had to slide and spin it to get the biscuits out. I really enjoyed watching my “enrichment wins” today, and I think Yang did too!
Jen A.
Keeper II, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
6-27-18 za dark.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ Luns Last Night ~6/27/18 ~ Taking Boo Each Other (what they are infamous for :grlol; )
6-27-18 za light luns.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ Luns Napping Together and Eating Together ~6/27/18 (what they are famous for :huggie: :rh: )

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:08 pm

2018-07-05_170429.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
Shauna D
July 2, 2018

Ya Lun and Xi Lun recently had a new food item added to their daily diets. In addition to the bananas, sweet potatoes and leafeater biscuits, they now receive apples. Lun Lun gets apples in her diet, so they have seen apples before and I’m sure they have stolen some of Lun Lun’s. However, in keeping up with their personalities, Ya Lun has taken to the apples right away and Xi Lun has not. Much like with the sweet potatoes, we will continue to offer the apples to Xi Lun and maybe one day she will decide to try one.
Shauna
Keeper II, Mammals

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:58 am

2018-07-11_115457.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
We really aren’t joking when we say Ya Lun and Xi Lun are becoming quite the bamboo-eating machines! Much like their parents do, they spend the majority of their time these days munching away, taking breaks to nap, play, or interact with their care team for training sessions. One day last week before lunch, we went to see what the girls were up to through the keeper window into Dayroom 2. Ya Lun immediately spotted me and paused, as if to think “Is going over there worth leaving this bamboo for Xi Lun to steal?” Well, it must have been, because she immediately came over to see why her care team was spying on her. These two sure do crack me up!
Check out a video on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter!
Danica W.
Swing Keeper I, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~
I believe they have been eating well! Are they at their butterball-age :grlol;
2018-07-10_124717.jpg
^ click bigger

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:28 pm

2018-07-15_152025.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ Ya Lun (left) & Xi Lun (right)
Shauna D
July 11, 2018
With the summer in full swing, the giant pandas’ behaviors are starting to change. Generally during the summer they tend to eat less and sleep a bit more, and that is exactly what they are starting to do. Their hour-long naps begin to turn into hour and a half or even two-hour-long naps. We are also using a bit less bamboo, as now it is taking less to fill them up. This, of course, makes our Bamboo Team happier because now they have to cut less.
Shauna
Keeper II, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018-07-15_152016.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
Have you ever eaten something so delicious that you had to lick any remnants from your fingers? Well, giant pandas do that too! Anytime the pandas eat one of their favorite treats like sugarcane or a very juicy piece of fruit, they spend a few minutes licking their paws, arms, chest, and any other places that crumbs or juice may have been left behind. Here you can see Yang Yang making sure he got every bit of his frozen apple.
Heather R.
Senior Keeper, Carnivores
(photo by Heather R.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
7-15-18 za eating.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ 7/15/18

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:36 pm

2018-07-21_212200.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
Bamboo is the giant panda’s primary food, but they don’t just eat any old bamboo. Pandas are very selective about the type and parts of the bamboo that they eat. Because they have to put so much effort into processing bamboo (breaking, stripping, peeling, etc), the giant pandas only eat the most nutritious bamboo. They can’t afford to burn up all of the calories they obtain from the bamboo just by eating it. Pandas are able to determine the nutrition level of the bamboo just by smelling it. When pandas sit down to eat, they sniff each piece of bamboo to decide if it is worth eating or not. As they are eating, they will periodically, smell the bamboo again to make sure it is still nutritious enough to continue eating. We are having one of those weeks where the pandas aren’t super excited about the bamboo on offer. It’s not too uncommon, especially in the summer months, for the pandas to dislike the bamboo. When we have bamboo that the pandas are not eating well, we are able to use positive reinforcement training to help them eat better. Just like any other behavior we ask of them, if they complete the behavior (i.e., eat bamboo), they receive a leafeater biscuit or a piece of produce as reinforcement. The pandas will often eat an entire meal of bamboo, which they otherwise wouldn’t have touched, during a training session. Why would the training make a difference if the bamboo is sub-par? I believe it works for two reasons: 1) reinforcing a behavior, by definition, means that the behavior will increase if reinforced, and 2) the biscuits and produce likely make up some of the nutritional deficits of the bamboo.
Heather R.
Senior Keeper, Carnivores
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018-07-21_222915.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
Shauna D
July 16, 2018
Many of you may have noticed there is a white barrel in the place of the hammock in one of the giant panda dayrooms. As is often the case, the hammock needed a bit of cleaning so, in the meantime, we decided to put up one of our many leafeater biscuit feeder devices. After Yang Yang left a biscuit in the spinning barrel one day, Ya Lun and Xi Lun discovered the true purpose of this device other than just for climbing. In their attempts to figure it out they began spinning it and out popped their reward. Now, whenever they spend time in that dayroom, we usually put a few of their biscuits in the barrel and watch as they run straight to the barrel to see what new goodies are out there.
Shauna
Keeper II, Mammals
2018-07-11_094437.jpg
^ click bigger ~ white barrel in the place of the hammock

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:37 pm

2018-07-27_180933.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
I just got back from a week-long vacation, so I wanted to see if Xi Lun would remember any of her training that we have been working on. One of the behaviors I am responsible for training is the “open-mouth present,” wherein the giant pandas are asked to hold their mouths open for us to be able to look inside to make sure everything looks okay. While I was feeding Xi Lun I gave her the cue and sure enough, her little mouth opened! We were even in a different spot than when she first started learning the behavior! That doesn’t sound like a big deal, but it actually makes a big difference if we change locations from where they first start learning certain behaviors.
Shauna
Keeper II, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018-07-27_181005.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
As I only work in this area every once in a while, I saw how the skilled giant panda care team weighs the two twins. When they come inside from their habitats, they come together. For someone who doesn’t see them too often, it can be difficult to identify the both of them. To weigh them, the team puts a couple of leafeater biscuits, a piece of apple, and a slice of sweet potato in a bowl, and then place it onto the scale. After having identified Xi Lun as having the larger swooshes under her eyes, she gets shifted onto the scale first while Ya Lun gets a piece of banana. The panda caregivers know that she will not eat the sweet potato. After they get Xi Lun’s weight, she is given a piece of bamboo, and Ya Lun is then shifted onto the scale and gets her sweet potato while the care team gets her weight.
Ryan
Keeper III, Mammals

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:15 pm

2018-07-30_221034.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
A new milestone the twins reached was a week or so ago. We started getting their p.m. weights! We weigh the adults first thing in the morning, and at the end of the day. An adult giant panda’s weight can fluctuate up to 20 pounds in the 10 hours we are here each day, purely from the food they consume. Until the twins get the hang of morning weights, we usually only get their weight once. Now that they are older, and especially since they hit one of their typical growing plateaus, we get their weights in the afternoon as well. The weight change is a good indicator that even though they haven’t hit another growth spurt yet, they are still gaining enough weight each day and thus are eating an appropriate amount of bamboo. A subadult’s weight can fluctuate by 4 to 7 pounds by the end of the day. Rest assured that we aren’t worried about their weights, as they are right on par with all their other siblings at this age; we’re just waiting for that next growth spurt!
Jen W.
Keeper III, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
First the Luns are eating boo together today, one on the hammock & the other on the ground ~ then they want to leave the den and a door opens for them :cloud9:
7-30-18 za eating on hammock & ground.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
they go out and Xi Lun soon comes back to take a nap :offtobed:
7-30-18 za they leave and 1 comes back to nap.jpg
^ click 2X biggest

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:48 pm

2018-08-03_143301.jpg
^ click 2X biggest~Xi Lun
I haven’t been in Panda Land for quite a while, and it was great to be back and see the bears! Soon I will be transitioning over from my role as a Swing Keeper in the Mammal Department and will become one of the primary keepers in the giant panda section, so I will be spending quite a bit more time up here. Today, Senior Keeper Heather and I worked on a new training behavior for the twins. You may have read in past updates that the giant pandas know a cue we call “bamboo.” This is when we ask the pandas to go take a bite of bamboo, and if they choose to complete the behavior, they will be rewarded with a leafeater biscuit. Ya Lun and Xi Lun spend most of their time eating, so as you can imagine, we have high hopes that they will pick up this behavior quickly. We are utilizing a training technique called “capturing.” This is done by adding a verbal or visual cue to a behavior an animal is already offering (like eating bamboo) and teaching them that rewards follow if they choose to do it when asked. Like I mentioned, we are still in the early stages, but the twins should pick it up pretty quickly!
Danica W.
Swing Keeper I, Mammals

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:37 am

2018-08-05_111959.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
Hi! I’m Michelle, and as of today I am the newest member of the giant panda care team at Zoo Atlanta! As a Swing Keeper in the Mammal Department, I work several routines: hoofstock, meat-eating carnivores, and now, giant pandas! I have spent the past two weeks learning the ins and outs of the giant panda building and habitats and getting to know the amazing animals who live there. I still have a lot to learn: trained behaviors, a million tiny details, and the pandas’ individual personalities along with all their likes and dislikes. It takes a lot of skill and experience to know what a giant panda needs just by looking at his or her behavior, but the panda primary keepers have been guiding me as I learn to recognize when Lun Lun wants more bamboo or when Yang Yang just wants us to admire him and give him our undivided attention. I am excited for what I’ll learn in the years to come and the new relationships I get to build with these very special animals!
Michelle E.
Keeper II, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2018-08-03_183955.jpg
^ click bigger
2018-08-04_070503.jpg
^ click 2X biggest

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:39 pm

8-3-18 za luns in booland.jpg
^ click 2X biggest :rh: :pan:
Mama Lun :cloud9:
8-5-18 za Mama Lun.jpg
^ click 2X biggest

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:26 pm

2018-08-07_201859.jpg
^ click 2X biggest :rh:
We’ve been using Xi Lun’s dislike of sweet potatoes and apples to our advantage the last several months. When weighing Ya Lun and Xi Lun we have been putting some of Xi Lun’s biscuits and some of Ya Lun’s apples and sweet potatoes on the scale. Then we shift Xi Lun in first and she will just eat her biscuits and after she moves off the scale, we shift Ya Lun and she gets her produce since Xi generally leaves it. This way it saves us a few extra steps. Recently however, Xi Lun decided to try some of Ya’s apple! Well apparently she decided that she likes this new food that we have been offering her the last couple months. And, to top it off, Xi decided to try the sweet potato again recently! These girls really like to keep us guessing.
Shauna
Keeper II, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
8-3,7-18 za on the teepee.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
A Little Lun Eating ^ :cloud9: & Napping > :offtobed: on the Teepee Structure
8-3,7-18 za on the teepee 2.jpg
^ click 2X biggest

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:52 pm

2018-08-10_233341.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
Heather R
August 10, 2018
Summer is a time when giant pandas sleep more and eat less. Male giant pandas take the summer to rest after breeding season and before they have to start bulking up for the next breeding season. For Yang Yang, summer is also when he is most playful. I caught the tail-end of one of Yang Yang’s play sessions this week. You can see why we say he is eternally a cub in a video on Zoo Atlanta’s Facebook and Instagram pages!
Heather R.
Senior Keeper, Mammals

8/10/18 ~ It's playful season for Yang Yang
:vid: https://www.facebook.com/ZooATL/videos/ ... 512123553/ < 28 second Yang in the update ~ photos below >
8-10-18 za Yang playful.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
Big Daddy Yang in the den and leaving
8-13-18 yang going.jpg
^ click 2X biggest

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:24 pm

2018-08-15_202252.jpg
^ click 2X biggest
Jen A
August 15, 2018
Since Xi Lun has (finally) decided that apple and sweet potato are (possibly) yummy, we have been weighing the twins separately. This morning, we set the scale up for Xi Lun and began shifting the twins inside for their morning weights. Ya Lun decided that she just absolutely could not wait for her sister to be weighed before she took her turn. So this morning, we got a group weight and then subtracted Xi Lun’s weight from that in order to get both giant pandas’ weights. Sometimes the pandas force us to think on our feet a little! :grhug:
Jen A.
Keeper II, Mammals
(photo by Jen A.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
8-18 twins.jpg
^ click 2X biggest :huggie:
8/15/18 Mama Lun Walking the Den
8-15-18 Mama Lun walking den.jpg
^ click 2X biggest :cloud9:

Return to “Pandas”