Giant Pandas at Zoo Atlanta ~ Lun Lun-Yang-Ya Lun & Xi Lun Family

This forum is for discussion and photos of panda bears

Moderator: Panda TA's

queenie
Topic Assistant

Re: Giant Pandas at Zoo Atlanta ~ Lun Lun-Yang-Ya Lun & Xi Lun Family

Post by queenie » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:20 pm

2019-10-19_231126.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
Amanda D.
October 18, 2019
Giant pandas have a wide variety of vocalizations, and the one that the Panda Care Team hears the most is called a “bleat.” From panda to panda, a bleat is a friendly way for that panda to let another panda know it’s passing through the area. Sometimes the giant pandas bleat at the care team, which we like to say is their way of telling us they would like more leafeater biscuits or bamboo. A couple other vocalizations we sometimes hear are chirping and honking. Chirping is a friendly vocalization that we occasionally hear from Lun Lun toward Yang Yang when they are in separate spaces but have mesh-like portions between habitats or dens where they can still see and hear each other. However, if Lun Lun does not like Yang Yang’s proximity, we’ll hear her moan or growl at him. Giant pandas also communicate with each other by scent-marking. Scent-marking can communicate various things from panda to panda, but one purpose is to let another panda know he or she is in the area. As you can see, giant pandas have a number of ways of communicating with one another!
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2019-10-19_231144.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
Michelle E.
October 16, 2019
Just a quick update from PandaLand today! As you all know, we are always on the lookout for ways to make the pandas’ day. Giant pandas eat bamboo, of course, but there is a surprising amount of difference between bamboo species, and the pandas have quite refined palates! Because of this, we like to offer new species of bamboo every once in a while to keep things interesting. The giant pandas have been primarily eating yellow groove bamboo lately, notable for the yellow groove along the bamboo culm. We’ve also offered some henon, which has light-colored culms and branches that splay out all over the place, but the novelty of henon had worn off. Yesterday we decided to try a type of bamboo the pandas haven’t had in a while: rubro. Rubro looks a lot like yellow groove, minus the groove, but has a particular smell we haven’t quite placed – it’s almost like a pine tree! We offered it to the pandas overnight and came in this morning to evaluate how they liked it. So far, so good! They seem to have enjoyed the rubro, so we’ll keep offering it until they let us know it’s time for something else!
Michelle E.
Keeper III, Mammals
Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they? ~ ASV Matt. 6:26

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:24 pm

2019-10-19_231220.jpg
Danica W
October 14, 2019
A lot of people ask us what it’s like being an animal care professional, and specifically what it’s like caring for the giant pandas. Like other animal care team members at any zoo, our days are very much about routines, but we all must be able to adjust that routine at a second’s notice based on a variety of factors such as weather and animal behavior. Giant pandas can be particularly selective about their bamboo, so caring for them is very much about being able to adjust and provide them with bamboo of their liking. We’re so fortunate to have an awesome Bamboo Team who harvests our bamboo for us (it’s a very labor-intensive job and they deserve a lot of credit)! Some mornings, being a member of the Giant Panda Care Team means giving the pandas their breakfast, and then getting other things done while they enjoy it until they go down for a nap. Other mornings, it means giving the pandas their breakfast, and then five minutes later their behavior shows they would like something else. Then another five minutes later, another panda decides the same thing, and about five minutes after that I’m sure you can guess what happens next. It’s chaotic, but I don’t think I’d trade even the craziest of days for another job. This morning I was cleaning up a particularly big mess Lun Lun left us overnight, and I looked over and saw the twins peeking at me through a glass window. It’s moments like that I realize that while the job comes with a lot of challenging aspects, the animals we see every day are worth it, and I’ve got one of the coolest jobs in the world.
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
(photo by Danica W.)
10-19-19 za outside cubs.jpg
Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they? ~ ASV Matt. 6:26

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:20 pm

Thanks so much Queenie.. I enjoy coming here reading all your posts and love the pictures of the Pandas ... :love:

Bev

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:40 pm

Bev, Thank you very much! I am glad you are enjoying them also. The cubs are always so interesting & entertaining to observe:
and especially when there are twins = not only double the fun & but also with their precious, close affection for each other = so sweet! :huggie: :rh: :pan:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
10-19-19 za outside cubs 2.jpg
#4 on the back rock-wall, #5 back logs, & #6 back edge of patio/deck = smelling scents left by a parent
2019-10-22_012724.jpg
Amanda D.
October 21, 2019
Giant pandas are solitary animals, which means they actually prefer to be by themselves. While it might be hard for us to understand that concept, there are quite a few species at the Zoo that prefer to live alone. For example, the Sumatran tigers and red panda are solitary animals. These species of animals will only share the same space if it is breeding season. This also applies to giant pandas. In the wild, female pandas with offspring will leave them once they are capable of finding food on their own. At the Zoo, we started to wean Xi Lun and Ya Lun at around 18 months after the team started noting signs of Lun Lun no longer wanting to share space with her cubs. Weaning around that point mimics that stage in the wild. If Lun Lun was to stay in the same space with Xi Lun and Ya Lun now, there would be some type of aggression observed. Even the twins will eventually want to be separated once they hit sexual maturity (which is around 5 or 6 years old), as they start to look at each other as competition. If you read my last update on vocalizations, you might remember two in particular that are heard when Lun Lun does not want to be in close proximity to Yang Yang. These two calls are growling and moaning. The Panda Care Team has also heard these calls from Xi Lun and Ya Lun to Yang Yang when we are moving the pandas around from a den to a dayroom and vice versa.
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:47 pm

My Pleasure queenie.. a great place to come and relax and enjoy your pictures , posts and observations ... the cubs are precious :love:
'
Thank you so much

Bev

HELPFUL HINTS.......Bev...member since 08/04/09

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:55 pm

Hi Bev, Thank you, the cam is restful to me as they are such peaceful yet playful animals, at least in zoos. :yes: Ferenz is sharing darling s'caps and interesting information & progression of the new Berlin Zoo Twin Cubs on the Panda Discussion thread :huggie:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2019-10-29_225727.jpg
Danica W
October 28, 2019
Once they reached sub-adulthood, Ya Lun and Xi Lun got much more playful. After they have had their fill of bamboo or have just woken up from a nap, we often find them playing with their enrichment or wrestling with one another. Each of them has adopted her own “wrestling” style, and we can often tell who is who on the camera based solely off their signature moves. Xi Lun is more about the sneak attacks, and will often try to catch Ya Lun off guard. She also easily loses interest and will try to start eating again, but Ya Lun usually interferes and re-initiates the wrestling match. Ya Lun makes all of us laugh, as she is known for her full on WWE-style body slams. She climbs as high as she can, locates Xi Lun, and flings her body full force in her direction (regardless of whether or not it requires sacrificing a safe landing for herself). Luckily, giant pandas are very muscular and don’t get injured during falls, and often purposefully will fall or fling themselves onto things. Usually the tail end of the wrestling match consists of a lot of rolling around. My favorite part of this video is when Ya Lun reaches up to try to pull herself onto the structure (about 3 seconds in), realizes she isn’t going to get there before Xi Lun reaches her, and her body language seems to say “Yep, okay, I’m not gonna make it”, and she just falls backward. They are so silly sometimes!
Check out a video on Zoo Atlanta’s social networks later today!
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2019-10-29_225828.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post ~ Xi Lun {on left} Ya Lun {right} :huggie:
Amanda D.
October 25, 2019
Xi Lun and Ya Lun spent all of yesterday out in one of the outdoor habitats. Keeper Danica and I were cleaning and setting up one of the dayrooms that faces the habitat they were in and were able to observe the girls playing. Ya Lun was running around and attempting to get to Xi Lun on top of the structure. If you’ve ever checked out the Zoo Atlanta PandaCam, you’ve probably seen this many times. Ya Lun also ran by the glass multiple times and put her paws up facing both Danica and me and then she would go over and do the same thing on the glass facing the guest side! The Panda Care Team spends a lot of time cleaning, weighing out bamboo, training, among so many other things, but it’s always nice to remember that as keepers we get to have the opportunity to witness such moments. To reiterate what Keeper Danica mentioned in one of her earlier posts – moments like catching a glimpse of one of the girls peeking at us through a mesh window, or seeing them in one of their playful moods, is just one of the many rewarding aspects of the job and I’m grateful that I get the opportunity to take care of the giant pandas and the red panda here at the Zoo.
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:43 pm

2019-11-03_151614.jpg
Amanda D.
November 1, 2019
As you might recall from previous panda updates, the Panda Care Team weighs the giant pandas twice a day. We will grab a few of the giant pandas’ leafeater biscuits and place them on the scale as one team member brings in one of the giant pandas while the other one catches their weight on a reader. Currently, Xi Lun and Ya Lun’s average weights both range around 64 kilograms. Because Xi Lun and Ya Lun are still able to share the same space, the Panda Care Team has come up with creative ways to get both of their weights. One method that has worked for a while now is placing some of Ya Lun’s sweet potato on the scale and some apples from Xi Lun’s diet beside it. Xi Lun doesn’t like sweet potato, so this means we can bring her in first to get a weight, and then since she doesn’t have any interest in sweet potato she will get off the scale, and that’s when we can bring in Ya Lun to grab her weight. That method has worked for quite some time now, but recently, we noticed that Xi Lun ate Ya Lun’s sweet potato! The team has noticed food preferences change before, and in that moment we realized that if Xi Lun suddenly has an interest in sweet potato then we might need a new plan on how to get both of their weights!
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:52 pm

2019-11-06_234517.jpg
Heather R
November 6, 2019
If you live in Atlanta, you know we have had a marked change in the weather in recent days, much to the pandas’ delight! We skipped autumn entirely and went straight from summer to winter. Giant pandas are built for cold weather. They have a dense, water resistant coat of fur to keep them warm and dry in their natural habitat of the mountains in China. This coat isn’t designed for our Atlanta summers, so the pandas stay inside if the temperatures are over 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Don’t worry, though, the pandas don’t mind being inside. In my experience, the pandas are content wherever they are as long as they have good quality bamboo to eat. Lun Lun does particularly enjoy this hammock in one of the outdoor habitats and seems happy to take her naps on it again.
Heather R.
Senior Keeper, Carnivores
(Photo by Heather R.)

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:00 pm

11/11/19 ~ Appreciate & Honor USA Veterans on their Remembrance Holiday Today :bravo:
2019-11-11_223503.jpg
Amanda D.
November 11, 2019
Giant pandas were once found throughout a wide range of southern and eastern China, as well as some parts of Vietnam. Unfortunately, their range has been significantly reduced to small, isolated regions found in just a few provinces in China. This issue is the result of human threats such as habitat loss and habitat fragmentation. Certain conservation groups, along with the help of the Chinese government, have done a lot to try and rectify this serious problem that giant pandas face. One important solution to tackle this issue is through the creation of wildlife corridors. Wildlife corridors link fragmented areas to one another, making it easier for an individual to find another of the same species during breeding season or to find a nutritionally sufficient source of bamboo. It is important to remember that although giant panda numbers have been on the rise, conservation efforts like building more wildlife corridors are imperative as humans continue to build more roadways and other developments that impede their survival.
Source: World Wildlife Fund
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals
2019-11-11_223518.jpg
Danica W
November 8, 2019
A lot of our updates focus on the twins and their milestones, or Yang Yang and his cub-like behavior despite being an older bear. So I wanted to take time in this update to talk about Lun Lun, and just how much she has done for the conservation and advocacy of her species. At 22 years old, Lun Lun has successfully reared seven healthy offspring. Ya Lun and Xi Lun are still here with us at Zoo Atlanta, but Mei Lan, Xi Lan, Po, Mei Huan, and Mei Lun are all thriving at the Chengdu Research Base in China, and some have had offspring of their own, making Lun Lun a grandmother!
Having seven cubs is almost certainly something that wouldn’t happen for a wild giant panda. Four of Lun Lun’s cubs were twins, and giant panda twins are not able to survive in their wild habitats because the mother cannot physically care for two. Here at Zoo Atlanta, members of the Panda Care Team were able to assist Lun Lun with the rearing of twins to ensure they survived. That being said, the bulk of the work was still very much on Lun Lun, and once both cubs were moving around well on their own, she took care of both at once. Nursing and entertaining two cubs is no easy feat, and we all admire her greatly for it. She was an amazing mother for all her cubs and has created a legacy and successful program of giant panda breeding here at Zoo Atlanta. She carried, nurtured, and taught seven giant pandas how to thrive and now they are all contributing to their species as well. Lun Lun also accomplished all of that while voluntarily participating in our Wild Encounter program and creating connections between our guests and wildlife. You go, girl!
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
(photo by Danica W.)

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:52 pm

2019-11-16_171106.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post ~ :D q. yes I'm smiling, and I love their togetherness, :huggie: which is most of the time :rh:
Amanda D.
November 15, 2019
We always like to try and have Xi Lun and Ya Lun out in one of our climate-controlled dayrooms during the weekend or during busy times because we know how much our guests love to see them and catch a glimpse of some of their playful antics, but it’s always nice to give them the option of spending time behind the scenes as well. When the twins are behind the scenes, the Panda Care Team is able to interact and train with them more, as well as provide some of their favorite enrichment items. Some of these items include two gray benches that are always given to them when they spend time in the behind-the-scenes den areas. Although the giant pandas typically prefer to lie on the floor (even when we offer them things like hay or wood wool to use as bedding), Xi Lun and Ya Lun just love having the option of resting on these benches. Danica recently got this adorable picture that shows you just how much they love their benches, and if this picture doesn’t make you smile, then I don’t know what will.
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals
(photo by Danica W.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2019-11-16_175644.jpg
Michelle E.
November 13, 2019
If you live in the United States, you are likely all too aware that we are going through a cold snap right now. Even in Georgia, it has gotten down into the twenties (Fahrenheit) at night. It may cause you to wonder, how do the Zoo animals feel about this cold weather? Well, in the giant panda building, it’s no problem! Pandas live in the mountains of China, where it gets pretty cold in the winter. The Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding’s facility is located in part of the giant panda’s historic range. There it rarely gets below 30°F, but is chilly for several months of the year. Giant pandas have thick fur, which helps them stay warm. They also adapt behaviorally – if they are living on a mountain, they will climb to a lower altitude in the winter, where they will find warmer temperatures. One study published in 2016 by Liu et. al. looked at variables in wild giant panda habitats in China and found that temperature seemed to be one of the most important variables, with pandas preferring to live in habitats that were about 64-69°F. Those kinds of studies are vital as China identifies habitat areas for protection and future reintroduction programs.
That brings me to what we do to help the giant pandas stay comfortable on a freezing night like this one: a nice, heated building! Armed with the knowledge of what temperatures pandas like best, thanks to studies like the one mentioned above, the thermostat will be set to a cozy 67°F tonight, right in their comfort range.
Michelle E.
Keeper III, Mammals

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:40 pm

2019-12-09_222921.jpg
Amanda D.
December 6, 2019
The Panda Care Team checks on each of the giant pandas, as well as Idgie the red panda, multiple times throughout the day. One reason that we do this is to ensure that all of the pandas are still favoring the bamboo that we have provided them. Sometimes, we might bring them inside while we go out into one of the outdoor habitats to clean and set up the habitat again, but we can also just toss them fresh bamboo and leafeater biscuits while they are still out in the habitat. Here, you can see Yang Yang waiting as one of the Panda Care Team members throws him some fresh bamboo and leafeater biscuits. If you’re ever tuned into PandaCam and see the pandas looking up, it’s most likely because we’re up top and they are patiently waiting for their “sky biscuits” as we like to call them!
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals
(photo by Amanda D.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2019-12-09_223005.jpg
Heather R
December 4, 2019
This week we introduced Ya Lun and Xi Lun to the behind-the-scenes habitat. Much to our surprise, Xi Lun walked straight out there, but Ya Lun thought the unfamiliar pathway was too scary and would not follow her sister. Xi Lun is usually the more cautious of the two, so we couldn’t believe she was the first one to try out the new space. Both girls had access to Habitat 2 and Habitat 3 all day and Xi Lun wandered back and forth between the two throughout the day, but Ya Lun chose to stay in Habitat 2. Xi Lun even tried to guide her sister into the new habitat, but Ya Lun only followed her to the door, then turned around. Giant pandas often find new experiences scary, so Ya Lun’s behavior isn’t unusual. We made sure she had plenty of bamboo and leafeater biscuits in Habitat 2, so she stayed happy. Xi Lun enjoyed foraging for her own bamboo and exploring the new habitat. In fact, I had to convince her to come inside at the end of the day. We will continue to give the girls access to the behind-the-scenes habitat off and on. I’m sure Ya Lun will eventually muster the courage to venture over there with Xi Lun.
Check out a video on our Facebook, Twitter or Instagram page!
Heather R.
Senior Keeper, Carnivores

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:54 pm

2019-12-09_223017.jpg
Danica W
December 2, 2019
I hope that everyone was able to enjoy a nice holiday this past week surrounded by the things and people you are thankful for. Many of us on the Animal Care Team here at Zoo Atlanta spent the day here at the Zoo taking care of the animals and making sure they had everything they needed. While Zoo Atlanta is closed on Thanksgiving and Christmas, we still need to come in and take care of the animals. I really enjoy working holidays as it is often a more quiet and mellow kind of day. One of the things I am most thankful for is the opportunity to build relationships with the animals that I help take care of. We always work through a protective barrier with the giant pandas, but that doesn’t prevent us from being able to form a strong bond with them while keeping everyone’s safety a priority. One animal I’ve really built a bond with is our adult male giant panda, Yang Yang. This guy and I just seem to be on the same page. We talk about his playfulness often in our updates (and Lun Lun is starting to be more playful too, which we are all excited about!), and Yang Yang makes me smile just by being his goofy self. He’s never in a hurry, and he always makes time for his most favorite things. The other day he was being so silly that Keeper Heather and I were crying, we were laughing so hard. My favorite moments are the ones where we can take a break from cleaning and spend quality time with the giant pandas. It’s moments like the one pictured that I like to reflect on how thankful I am for the opportunity to care for such charismatic animals every day. I think if everyone had the same outlook on life that Yang Yang does, we’d find more time to relax and enjoy ourselves. So, just remember, that no matter what’s happening in your life, there is always time to sit back, have fun, and maybe enjoy a banana or two.
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:42 pm

2019-12-15_225119.jpg
Amanda D.
December 13, 2019
The Panda Care Team gets a weight on Idgie the red panda weekly. Accomplishing this task requires Idgie to get into a small, black rubber tub that you see pictured here. This tub is on top of a small scale with a reader off to the side. This process of getting Idgie’s weight is a great example of how all of the training we do here at the Zoo is voluntary. If Idgie decides to participate, she is rewarded or positively reinforced by receiving a highly valued food item such as grapes. For Idgie to be reinforced she needs to be fully in the tub, with her tail wrapped around her. If Idgie chooses not to participate in the training session, that is completely fine. We can ask for another behavior and then go back to her scale training, or just attempt the session on another day altogether. Idgie, along with all of the animals here at the Zoo, have a choice whether or not they want to participate. The next time you’re visiting the Zoo, be sure to check the activities for the day, which usually include a variety of Keeper Talks where you can learn more about the voluntary training we do here at the Zoo!
Amanda D.
Keeper I, Mammals
(photo by Amanda D.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2019-12-15_224947.jpg
Danica W
December 11, 2019
When giant pandas are kicked back eating, they can often be found sitting on their rears, with their front paws available for eating. Giant pandas are able to sit this way while they eat because they have a pseudothumb. The pseudothumb is a unique, sixth digit that is an extension of the giant pandas’ wrist bones. It doesn’t bend like our thumbs, but it creates a nook for bamboo (or leafeater biscuits) to sit in so that they are able to wrap their paws around things and grab them. Other bear species don’t sit back and eat the way giant pandas do because they are unable to reach out and grab things as easily. Interestingly enough, all bear species used to have a pseudothumb, but the giant panda is the only bear that retained the trait as it evolved into surviving on an almost primarily bamboo diet. Other bear species rely more on their mouths and claws to obtain and manipulate food items.
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
(photo by Danica W.)

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:56 pm

2019-12-15_235355.jpg
Danica W
December 9, 2019
The colder months are generally the busiest time of year for the Panda Care Team and the pandas in our care. During this time, all of the pandas are eating more and sleeping less. For the giant pandas, this means a lot of culming the bamboo (the process by which they remove the hard exterior from the outside of a piece of bamboo and eat the somewhat softer inside), and for the Panda Care Team it means constantly feeding all of the pandas and picking up bamboo shrapnel from their habitats. Although not nearly as big as the giant pandas, Idgie the red panda goes through a similar phase, where she is hungry, active, and eating lots of bamboo. She gets so excited for her dinner sometimes that some of the banana smears all over her little nose. It doesn’t seem to bother her, and she quickly removes it when she gets the chance. Bananas are a hot commodity around here, and none of the pandas let them go to waste!
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
(video by Danica W.) >
:vid: https://twitter.com/i/status/1204158920543133702 darling 18 second video of Idgie eating

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:03 pm

2019-12-23_230141.jpg
Jen A
December 23, 2019
One of my favorite things about being a member of the Panda Care Team is seeing the different relationships that the pandas have with each of their keepers. This is the most evident during training sessions. Training sessions at Zoo Atlanta are always voluntary for the animals and are based on positive reinforcement. This means that the pandas always have the choice to participate, and they know if they do, they receive a reward. When primary keepers have a training session with the pandas, the training sessions are often textbook. The pandas do exactly what is asked when it is asked. Alternately, when other keepers work in pandas, we tend to be treated as “substitute teachers” by the pandas. Pandas are smart and opportunistic and will take any opportunity to test keepers to get maximum food for minimal effort. This means that non-primary keepers need to be on our toes during training sessions to make sure the pandas offer behaviors correctly for our safety. I also enjoy watching new team members training with the bears. Training is a great opportunity to build a relationship with the pandas. As the pandas become comfortable training with the newer keepers, you can see some of the social dynamics between caregiver and panda. It’s pretty awesome and special to be a part of.
Jen A.
Keeper II, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2019-12-23_230158.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ Daddy Yang~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
Danica W
December 18, 2019
Giant pandas, along with several other animals here at the Zoo, are a solitary species. This means that they don’t generally spend time with other members of the same species unless it is for a breeding interaction or a mother raising her young. Due to their solitary nature, pandas must rely heavily on their olfactory (smelling) capabilities to locate and communicate with other pandas and find suitable mates during breeding season. They can communicate several things through chemical signals in their urine and secretions from the scent gland at the base of their tails, which both males and females have. They have very large olfactory regions in their brains and can determine things such as identity, sex, receptivity to breeding, and overall general health just by smelling the scent-mark or urine of another giant panda. This incredible sense of smell is also what helps them detect the most nutritious pieces of bamboo to consume.
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
(photo by Danica W.)

Return to “Pandas”