Giant Pandas at Zoo Atlanta ~ Lun Lun-Yang-Ya Lun & Xi Lun Family

This forum is for discussion and photos of panda bears

Moderator: Panda TA's

queenie
Topic Assistant

Re: Giant Pandas at Zoo Atlanta ~ Lun Lun-Yang-Ya Lun & Xi Lun Family

Post by queenie » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:54 pm

2020-04-15_213832.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
Danica W
April 6, 2020
:rh: :cry1: We recently had to make the difficult decision to say goodbye to the smallest but mightiest of our panda family here at Zoo Atlanta, Idgie the red panda. At nearly 14 years old, Idgie was considered geriatric for her species, and what she lacked in size she more than made up for in personality. Full of spunk, she immediately stole the hearts of everyone who met her, care team and guests alike. She captivated many with her extreme cuteness and kept all of us on our toes daily, constantly challenging us and helping us grow as animal caregivers. Known lovingly in our department as our “training rock star,” that girl would voluntarily participate in all her training as long as you had grapes. As she got older and her arthritis developed, it was a true team effort to make sure that we made her as happy, comfortable, and engaged as possible. I think one of the things I will remember most when I think of Idgie will be the collaborative effort we all made for her. Members of Animal Care, Veterinary Team, Maintenance and Horticulture all brainstormed and worked tirelessly to make sure she had everything she needed. It was a lot of work, but our Idgie was worth it, and we were rewarded by getting to watch her comfortably live out her golden years.
Idgie was an amazing ambassador for her species, introducing many to red pandas and inspiring them to help act against the illegal pet trade and the effect it has on wild red panda populations. She had a huge fan base, and none of us could walk to her habitat without hearing a guest say how cool, unique, or just downright cute she was. She might not have known it, but she did and will continue to have a big impact on red panda conservation.
Being an animal care professional is one of the coolest jobs on Earth. These animals hold a big presence in our hearts, and saying goodbye to them never gets any easier. We are all heartbroken but can take pride in knowing that Idgie, like all the animals here at Zoo Atlanta, got the best possible care we could provide and immeasurable love from her care team and fans. I can safely speak for all of us when I say that caring for Idgie and getting to know her quirky personality was a true privilege, and things around here just won’t be the same without her. I’ll miss the way she wiggled her tail when she was scent-marking, how excited she got for grapes, and the little vocalization she made when she thought we weren’t being quick enough about delivering her breakfast. This might be the last Panda Update about Idgie, but I hope she has left just as big of a paw print on your hearts as she has on ours, and that you continue to learn and help combat the threats that are causing these amazing animals’ decline. We will miss you, Idgie!
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5-2-20 za idgie.jpg
^ click 2X biggest ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they? ~ ASV Matt. 6:26

IrishEyes
Forum Assistant

Post by IrishEyes » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:02 am

Queenie so sorry to read this :cry1: :brknhrt: My deepest sympathy to you and all you loved and cared for Idgie.. but what a wonderful life she had and bought joy to so many.. :love:

:hug: to all!

HELPFUL HINTS...Be Respectful !....Bev...member since 08/04/09

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:39 pm

Thank you Bev, she was wonderful and always had a big crowd around her yard, watching her always busy, everyone did love her ~ she was a total J O Y & such a precious memory :rh:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2020-04-24_200239.jpg
Danica W
April 17, 2020
This week, Ambassador Animals Team members Megan and Wendy brought some new friends to visit the pandas! Olaf and Sven the Gulf Coast native sheep were out for a walk on grounds, and Megan and Wendy brought them up to visit the pandas outside their outdoor habitats. This was the first time Ya Lun or Xi Lun had ever seen a member of our Petting Zoo herd, so we all wondered how they would react. They didn’t seem to notice much and were more concerned with the fresh bamboo shoots we had given them. Like the pandas, Olaf and Sven were very focused on their keepers as they visited this new place, and looked to them for yummy reinforcement for good behavior in the form of sheep grain. There was a brief moment (pictured) where we think everyone noticed each other, but they all quickly went back to snacking. How did Yang Yang and Lun Lun react you ask? Well, they slept through the entire thing, of course. Naps are important business around here.
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
(photos by Danica W.)
q. I hope they took them to see Lun & Yang too, they've been watching the windows for fans/friends to come back! :( :grhug: Oh no, I saw the adults were tired and were napping and missed them & the Luns looked fascinated
Mama Lun & Daddy Yang Watching Windows
4-23-20 za both parents watching window.jpg
Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value then they? ~ ASV Matt. 6:26

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sat May 02, 2020 10:02 pm

2020-05-02_230655.jpg
Danica W
April 29, 2020
It’s the giant pandas’ and Panda Care Team’s favorite time of year: bamboo shoot season! Bamboo shoots are popping up on Zoo grounds, as well as at some of the sites where our Bamboo Team is harvesting. Bamboo shoots look a lot like asparagus coming out of the ground, and they only show up for a short time each spring. They are nutrient dense and the pandas eat the whole thing minus the protective sheath. For that reason, the bamboo shoots fill the pandas up a lot quicker and are way easier for us to clean up in comparison to the bamboo shrapnel that is scattered in the habitats after the pandas enjoy older bamboo growth. Bamboo shoots are juicy, crunchy, and you might have enjoyed bamboo shoots yourself, as they are used in a variety of delicious dishes that originate in Asia. Thanks to shoot season, all of the pandas are putting on a little extra weight and sleeping a little more. If this is what your quarantine routine looks like, don’t fret. The giant pandas are right there with you.
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
(Check out a video on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter by Danica W.)
:vid: https://www.facebook.com/ZooATL/videos/ ... 32939044/ Earthday 2020 Enrichment 1.32 minutes Panda at .40
:vid: https://www.facebook.com/ZooATL/videos/208381890453044/
:vid: https://twitter.com/i/status/1248279804031500288 56 seconds
Lun Lun Splashing in the Pool 57 seconds so cute :%:
see photo next post >
It's the giant pandas' and Panda Care Team's favorite time of year: bamboo shoot season! (Video by Danica W.)
:vid: https://twitter.com/i/status/1255603075932475392 37 seconds ~ so sweet twins eating shoots ~ and turn on sound
2020-05-03_001848.jpg
^ click bigger ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post
:vid: https://twitter.com/i/status/1252983236055236612 49 seconds panda opening treat box~Apr 22
To change the world, we need everyone to add their voice. Join the millions around the world mobilizing for a better planet by checking out https://buff.ly/HPM0kt. What will you to do mark 50 years of @EarthDayNetwork
2020-05-03_002033.jpg
^ click bigger ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Sat May 02, 2020 10:35 pm

cont. from above post Mama Lun Lun Splashing in Pool
2020-05-03_002807.jpg
^ click bigger ~ after clicking to view click return arrow top left back to post :woohoo:

queenie
Topic Assistant

Post by queenie » Mon May 18, 2020 9:01 pm

2020-05-18_225354.jpg

Zoo Atlanta will be open to the public as of Saturday, May 16, 2020.

Danica W
May 18, 2020
Things have been fairly normal for the giant pandas since our last update. The pandas didn’t seem to notice the lack of visitors prior to reopening the Zoo, and they also haven’t shown any reaction to visitors returning. Giant pandas are happy wherever they have bamboo, and they (and the Panda Care Team) have been enjoying bamboo shoot season quite a bit. It’s normal for the pandas to put on a little water weight during shoot season, and they can even gain over 20 pounds a day (most of which is discarded overnight for us to clean up in the morning). When the giant pandas show us that they want bamboo through their behavior (vocalizing, walking around the habitat, etc.) we give them as much as we think they’ll need to be satiated and take a nap. We don’t really notice quite how much bamboo we have gone through until we do our calculations at the end of the day. While finishing up those calculations yesterday, I had to do a double take to make sure I didn’t goof up the numbers. We used over 530 pounds of bamboo! I double checked, and sure enough, the numbers came back the same. It was the most I had seen us use in a single day since I joined the Panda Care Team, and I was especially surprised because we had almost no bamboo waste at the end of the day. Needless to say, we definitely had some happy, full pandas yesterday, and some very grateful caregivers who are glad we are lucky enough to have our own Bamboo Team to harvest for the pandas.
Danica W.
Keeper II, Mammals
(photo by Danica W.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Luns Outside
5-10-20 za outside twins.jpg
The Luns Inside & Daddy Yang
5-10-20 za inside & yang outside.jpg

Return to “Pandas”