Laysan Albatross ~ Kauai, Hawaii

Laysan Albatross and Penguins

Moderator: Birds Non-Raptor TA's

sassyk
Content Provider

Re: Laysan Albatross ~ Kauai, Hawaii

Post by sassyk » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:53 pm

S'cap taken Apr. 4th, courtesy Samantha Eye.
Apr. 4th 12.13pm.JPG

S'caps snipped Apr. 4th from the Cornell Albatross site.
Apr. 4th 13.05pm.JPG
Apr. 4th Morning.JPG
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 pm

This message was posted on the Cornell Albatross site on Apr. 10th. Keeping my fingers crossed that Jett will return unharmed.

April 10, 2018
Supplemental Feeding for Kiamanu After Jett's Disappearance
As many viewers have noticed, Jett, Kiamanu’s father, has not been seen on camera for more than six weeks. Although the mother, Bennie, has continued feeding Kiamanu during Jett’s absence, there is growing concern that she will be the sole provider if Jett does not return, raising the question of whether Kiamanu will receive enough food. Our partners at the Kauai Albatross Network and Save Our Shearwaters at the Kauai Humane Society, along with the Kauai Island Utility Cooperative and the Hawaii Wildlife Center, are working to monitor Kiamanu’s health. On Monday, April 9, they conducted their first assessment and are now planning to provide supplemental feedings until fledging (unless Jett returns.) These feedings should improve the likelihood that Kiamanu will survive to fledge while still only being fed by a single parent. Globally, Laysan Albatrosses are listed as near-threatened, with 99% of their breeding populations existing on low-lying atolls that are predicted to be submerged by sea level rise due to climate change. “High” islands like Oahu and Kauai are thought to be a key refuge for albatrosses in the future, and the birds are monitored with a goal of sustaining and increasing the breeding population. This management has included actions such as habitat restoration, predator fencing, translocating eggs into nests with infertile pairs, translocating chicks to establish new colony sites, and rehabilitation of chicks and adults when possible. Read our article from 2014 about the complex challenge of albatross conservation. You can help support the supplemental feeding efforts by making a donation via the Kauai Humane Society site (visit http://bit.ly/kiamanu-donation), being sure to write “For the Albatross Chick” in the large box on the form labeled "Send an Acknowledgement to" below your donation amount. Thanks to all of the viewers and cam operators who have tracked the movements of the albatrosses on cam, and to our partners involved in albatross conservation on Kauai. Click "More" for a version of this update with hyperlinked resources about albatross conservation on Kauai.
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:16 pm

There has been devastating storms and flooding on the island of Kauai. Cornell Albatross posted this info on their site.

Cornell Albatross @AlbatrossCam

As many of our viewers have heard, Kauai was impacted very heavily by recent storms. It may be a week or more till internet service is restored—till then, we’re running a stream of cam highlights from over the years. Tweet your faves from these or other memories while we wait!

I snipped these s'caps from the Cornell Albatross site. Many thanks to the wonderful people who are taking care of Kiamanu in Jett's absence.
Capture0.JPG
Capture.JPG
Capture00.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:57 pm

The earliest date the cam is expected to be up and running again after the storms is Apr. 23rd.

I snipped this s'cap from the site today.
Kiamanu with her mama Bennie..JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Sun May 27, 2018 4:57 pm

I was away for over a month and I'm just now catching up with the activities of the albatross families. A very cute video of Kiamanu preening a hen here.

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:35 pm

Mo'ikeha was having a nice quiet alone time when 4 Nene geese came wandering by. Mo'ikeha was having fun chasing them.
Mo'ikeha Screenshot_2018-06-01 17-17-19.jpg
Mo'ikeha Screenshot_2018-06-01 17-20-18.jpg
Mo'ikeha Screenshot_2018-06-01 17-21-52.jpg

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:36 pm

A few more s'caps of Mo'ikeha chasing the Nene geese.
Mo'ikeha Screenshot_2018-06-01 17-22-56.jpg
Mo'ikeha Screenshot_2018-06-01 17-26-15.jpg
Mo'ikeha Screenshot_2018-06-01 17-26-29.jpg

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:03 am

The cam season is coming to a close; last day will be tomorrow to watch the albatross. I have snipped some s'caps from the site starting on June 8th.
8 June 08.00.JPG
9 June  07.42.JPG
9 June 13.30.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:05 am

More s'caps I snipped from the albatross site June 9th & 10th.
9 June 14.00.JPG
9 June 14.11.JPG
10 June 13.28.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:07 am

More s'caps I snipped from the site on June 10th.
10 June 15.12.JPG
10 June Closeups.JPG
10 June Correction.JPG

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:08 am

More s'caps I snipped from the albatross site on June 11th.
11 June  07.14.JPG
11 June 12.31.JPG
11 June 15.30.JPG

Return to “Birds Other Than Raptors”