Smola, Norway ~~ White Tailed Eagles 2018

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle cams outside North America

Moderator: World Eagle Cam TA's

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Smola, Norway ~~ White Tailed Eagles 2018

Post by MaryF » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:56 pm

HWF would like to welcome the Smola Island, Norway White Tailed Eagle cam to it's growing family of eagle cams. :hi:

The webcams are provided by Streambird Pro and there are 5 different ones to view the eagles. Streambird Pro AS is a leading supplier of natural streams in Norway.
SMO   our stars.jpg
- The stars of this cam--Baron Blue and Baroness Barefoot

LINK TO THE CAMS -- https://www.streambird.no/baron-blaa

LINK TO THE FB PAGE -- https://www.facebook.com/groups/169788106908839/

LINK TO CAM WITH CHAT -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uRtYdcBR5Y

Welcome to the nest of Baron Blue and Baroness Barefoot. They built a nest on the island of Smola. Smola is known for its beautiful scenery and high stock of white-tailed eagles. Baron Blue and Baroness Barefoot are one of approximately 50 pairs of white-tailed eagles on the relatively small island Smøla, on the west coast of Norway. Nowhere else in the world you will find a higher density of these beautiful eagles.

There is a 7-9 hour time difference (depending on where you are located in the US), which means the sun is just coming up in Norway when it is setting here in the United States; and it is already around noon to 2:00 pm when you get up

SMO   blue foot.jpg
- A good look at the Baron's two blue bands

To identify the male from the female - the male is banded with two blue bands on each leg. The female is not banded. The Baroness has an old injury to her left foot. She was seen with a limp when the cams went live in 2015 and no information is known as to how she injured it. The limp will seem worse at times depending on the weather and other conditions but it does not hinder her in anyway. She manages quite well with it and is capable of hunting, fishing, building a nest, mating and raising a family. Eagles are most resilient in the way they cope with their injuries in the wild and she is no exception.

SMO   views from nest.jpg
- Beautiful views from the nest

Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Re: Smola, Norway ~~ White Tailed Eagles 2018

Post by MaryF » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:56 pm

SMO   singing.jpg
- The Baron and Baroness singing to each other ;)

A short history of this nest ~~

The cams first went live on this nest in 2015.

SMO   nest+tree.jpg
- The nest and tree

* In 2015 and they had two eaglets hatch & fledge- Jeppe and Nielle.

* In 2016, they also had two eaglets hatch - Storm and Sille. Sille was smaller and seemed to be malformed. Sille did not seem to thrive at all and passed away at 5 weeks of age.

*In 2017, Baroness laid two eggs and only one hatched - Solo who fledged successfully and stayed the longest of all the eaglets - 9.5 months!

SMO   Mom+LE   2018.jpg
- The Baroness and LE the 2018 eaglet

On June 11, 2018 Espen Lie Dahl went into the nest to determine the gender of the eaglet and discovered it is a female. They do not band the eaglets - just determine gender and gather general data on the number of eaglets hatched per nest in the area and sex.

--------------------

*Egg laid -- Egg #1 - 3-17-18 --- Egg #2 - 3-21-18

*Eggs hatched -- Egg #1 - 4-24-18 --- The other egg did not hatch--it was later determined to be unfertilized

*Named -- Elida (sailing on wings in Norwegian--winged one in English)

*Branched --

*Fledged -- July 19, 2018--86 days old
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:57 pm

SMO   looking at kingdom.jpg
- The Baroness surveying her kingdom

A very interesting article concerning the Smola White Tailed Eagles ~~~

Five kilometres between life and death for the sea eagle

DNA profiles of the sea eagle population from a large island in mid-Norway are providing new and useful information as to how the birds avoid being killed by wind turbines.

Sea eagles and wind turbines have a difficult relationship, as experience has shown time and again. The construction of a wind farm can cause birds to leave their territory, and the ones that stay often die a sudden, brutal death. Is it possible for us to help prevent this fundamental conflict and reduce fatalities? New research says yes.

Smøla, a large island in Møre og Romsdal, has Norway’s densest population of sea eagles. It also is home to the largest wind farm in the country. This makes it the ideal place to research the difficult relationship between birds and wind turbines.

Espen Lie Dahl has been studying the effect of the development of Smøla’s wind farm on the nesting sea eagle population in the area, and the ensuing mortality rates. He recently defended his PhD thesis “Population dynamics in white-tailed eagles at an on-shore wind farm area in coastal Norway” at NTNU.

“The wind farm affects sea eagles, that’s for sure. But it all has to do with distance from the turbines. If you live far enough away, you’ll probably be fine,” he says.

READ THE REST HERE --- http://sciencenordic.com/five-kilometre ... -sea-eagle

SMO  LE   2018.jpg
- LE 2018

Member since July, 2006

jwin36

Post by jwin36 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:19 am

I love this nest. Thank you MaryF for the info and article. :yes:
Smola 2 Screenshot_2018-06-15-07-46-07.jpg
Family together
Smola 1 Screenshot_2018-06-15-07-46-07.jpg
All three
I am guessing that is ice in the left side of the picture.
:bye 1:
In an eagle there is all the wisdom of the world. Lame Deer

Lady Hawk

Post by Lady Hawk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:21 am

Thank you MaryF for starting this thread on the white tailed eagle family!! It is a great nest to watch and I am thrilled to see it here in the forum!! :D Today we had a wonderful treat with Baron , Baroness and there baby :rh: Baron is on the lower branch and Baroness is in the nest with her big girl. So beautiful to see them together as a family!
Capture.JPG
Capture1.JPG
Capture.2 JPG.JPG

Lady Hawk

Post by Lady Hawk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:26 am

jwin36 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:19 am
I love this nest. Thank you MaryF for the info and article. :yes:
Smola 2 Screenshot_2018-06-15-07-46-07.jpg
Smola 1 Screenshot_2018-06-15-07-46-07.jpg
I am guessing that is ice in the left side of the picture.
Hi Jwin36 and welcome to the Smola nest! It is summertime now in Smola Norway and that is not ice at the bottom of the rock near the water. It is just a rock outcropping. The temperature now is in the 60's and is very pleasant. Even in winter, they do not receive much snow fall because of the mild coastal temperatures. :)

Lady Hawk

Post by Lady Hawk » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:32 am

This morning our sweet baby girl is seen playing with a feather in the nest. This amazing view is seen from cam4. She picks it up and plays with it and moves it around. A nice feather toy! :)
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

jwin36

Post by jwin36 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:34 am

Lady Hawk, I have noticed you on the YouTube chat and wondered if you knew anything about the Baroness' foot injury? It looks serious when you watch her moving around the nest and she spent a long while resting on the nest the other day. I hope she is OK. I will try to post more scraps but I am usually on my kindle and not able to capture many. I like lots of scraps to look back on after the season ends, so thanks for yours.

Lady Hawk

Post by Lady Hawk » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:32 am

jwin36 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:34 am
Lady Hawk, I have noticed you on the YouTube chat and wondered if you knew anything about the Baroness' foot injury? It looks serious when you watch her moving around the nest and she spent a long while resting on the nest the other day. I hope she is OK. I will try to post more scraps but I am usually on my kindle and not able to capture many. I like lots of scraps to look back on after the season ends, so thanks for yours.
Hello jwin36- I have been watching the Baroness since the cams went live in 2015 and she had a limp at that point. We do not know how she injured herself but she manages very well and it did not affect her in anyway. Over the past three years, sometimes she limps more than others. She hunts, fishes, builds her nest, flies, and raises her offspring all well. I noticed around the end of May this year she limped more than usual and could not put any weight on her left foot. I think she re-injured it. It is slowly improving again - she will be fine. Eagles are very resilient. Thank you for watching my videos and reading chat and for your nice scaps here! I hope you can post more of them!! :rh: :rh:

Lady Hawk

Post by Lady Hawk » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:38 am

Baroness is sleeping but her baby is busy keeping up with wingercising an flapping. She is 7.5 weeks old now and is such a beauty. She loves to preen her Mom too :rh: :rh:
Capture.JPG
Capture.1JPG.JPG
capture2.JPG

jwin36

Post by jwin36 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:49 am

Thank you, Lady Hawk, for the info about Baroness. It does make me feel better knowing that she is doing well in spite of the injury. :yes: I really appreciate and enjoy all your piks and videos. :mihihi:

Lady Hawk

Post by Lady Hawk » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Around 9:13pm Baroness flying in with a fish seen from cam2. LE (Little Eagle nickname) immediately rushes over and claims it. She has not learned to mantle yet but she will be soon. She self feeds on the fish while Baroness stands behind her. :rh:
Capture.1JPG.JPG
Capture.2JPG.JPG
Capture3.JPG

Lady Hawk

Post by Lady Hawk » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:13 pm

Baroness taking off from the nest after the fish is consumed and flies to the lower branch beneath the nest. She stays there while LE is sleeping on the nest full from her fish supper :)
Capture.JPG
capture4.JPG
Capture5.JPG

Lady Hawk

Post by Lady Hawk » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:18 pm

jwin36 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:49 am
Thank you, Lady Hawk, for the info about Baroness. It does make me feel better knowing that she is doing well in spite of the injury. :yes: I really appreciate and enjoy all your piks and videos. :mihihi:
Hi Jwin36 - oh my pleasure! I can imagine watching the cams without knowing what has happened would be worrisome! She just brought a nice fish for LE - no issues hunting or fishing for her! :rh: I am so glad you are here and I hope to see all your scaps too!! Come on over and say hi on chat too when you have the time. :)

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:50 am

Here is a video from when Espen climbed the tree to let us know if LE was a boy or a Princess!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBBUOj2 ... ploademail
Member since July, 2006

Return to “Eagle Cams Outside North America”