Captiva Eagle Cam Seasons 2023 & 2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle cams in North America

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

ondabebe
Topic Assistant

Re: Captiva/Sanibel Island Eagle Cam 2022/23

Post by ondabebe » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:36 am

11.42.08Am Connick has another loose flight feather
2023-04-04 001.jpg
11.42.47Am while winging the feather goes overboard
2023-04-04 008.jpg
© 2023 Window To Wildlife

ondabebe
Topic Assistant

Post by ondabebe » Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:51 am

2.44.39Pm Feathers lost
2023-04-04 011.jpg

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:33 pm

All this flight feather lose is not normal and will cause difficulty in fledging. Has Conner with Window to Wildlife chimed in on any possible reason?
AKA: Marianne

ondabebe
Topic Assistant

Post by ondabebe » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:14 pm

Kitcat11848 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:33 pm
All this flight feather loss is not normal and will cause difficulty in fledging. Has Conner with Window to Wildlife chimed in on any possible reason?
Hi Kitcat

There has been no word out of WTW on the matter yet but I did contact Judy B about the situation since she and others like you are much more knowledgeable about a lot of stuff to do with the eagles. She has contacted David and Judy will be posting later some information on the situation. This is so heartbreaking to see right now. I pray all will be ok.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:17 pm

Good afternoon, everyone - and thanks, ondabebe, for your detailed coverage here and for letting me know what has been happening with Connick. As you say, Kitcat, this isn't normal.

I'm going to reserve a couple of posts so my info will be in order, then will be back to fill them in - this is the first of three.

My initial email to David Hancock was sent yesterday, at which point we'd seen three flight feathers either come out or break off - hard to be sure which.

I sent him some screenshots, including these (first one shows a feather hanging down on the left and gaps in both wings, second one shows another feather a few hours later hanging down before Connick pulled it out).
20230403_007_Captiva.jpg
20230403_009.jpg

And I sent this video of the second feather coming out:

:vid: Young Eagle Loses Flight Feather at Captiva Island Nest (2 min)
(screenshots and videos © 2023 Window To Wildlife)

Here was his initial response:

Hi Judy and all:

Wow -- what a challenge. I have not seen this before. Certainly 12 weeks is the time of fledging.

I guess the real test on -- Can it fly satisfactorily or not? -- will be demonstrated by the bird. I suspect a deeper problem.

Do you have any inkling if these feathers have been lost from the follicle or just broken off? It looks like they may have totally fallen out -- which is probably best. However, this does not answer why. If they were pulled that would be better than some other options. These other options are some deficiency -- which means what?

If the feathers are broken off at the stud then this is bad as then the new feathers are not likely to regrow for 1 or 2 years. If dropped out of the sheath -- why.

I suspect this bird is suffering some biological challenge. Pesticides being the most likely challenge. Perhaps a rat poison!

I suspect this is a lucky bird to have you all watching. If the fledge is poor and the eaglet lands and is retrieved then I suspect a few months in rehab might enable it to be cleaned of possible challenges. I would go for this option as likely best from this quick overview. On the other side want to wish the eaglet well on its own and certainly eagles have huge adaptive abilities. This feather loss may be too challenging, particularly if additional feathers are lost. This latter situation would certainly suggest something systemic and would likely suggest intervention is the only hope.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:17 pm

Since then, Connick has lost a third feather from the left wing (as well as one from the right wing), and that feather appeared to almost shake out while Connick was doing the normal flapping one would expect from a 12-week-old eaglet.

I sent David Hancock the following 2-minute video of that feather coming loose and falling from the nest:

:vid: Eaglet Loses 4th Flight Feather at Captiva Island Nest (2 min)

with the accompanying photo of the feather floating down (in the red circle - photo clicks bigger)
20230404_001.jpg
(screenshots and videos © 2023 Window To Wildlife)

Here's David's thoughts on that video:

Judy -- so many variables - so many options with no understanding of the causes.

The rejected feather - circled in red -- looks like it was rejected properly -- and totally. But of course why? However, it is possible the end of the end of the shaft is damaged, sealed over and broke off. This might mean the tiny remains are still in the bird and until they drop out would not allow the new feather to grow in. But hopefully the whole feather follicle has fallen.

The big question remaining are the rest or even more of the feathers going to fall. Only time will tell. Or perhaps if the bird ends up on the ground, this can be effectively evaluated.

I think this chick has a lot a strikes against it but they are really survivors as we have seen. Let's hope for the best, but plan for a recovery. So wonderful that the rehab ctr is right on hand.

I had mentioned to David that CROW was a partner or affiliate with the organization that manages the cams, and it is convenient that they are not that far away.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:18 pm

I think that after David watched the second video with the eaglet losing a feather while flapping, he went back to watch the first video I sent, where Connick lost the feather while moving around the nest, and eventually appeared to pull it out since it was hanging down and probably getting in his way. I'm afraid this is less encouraging:

Hi Judy; oh dear -- this looks like the feather is damaged and broken off at the base -- and then pulled out. Normal loss fully from the follicle does not normally follow this path.
david

And I'm sure David is right about normal feather loss not following this path, but I find it hard to tell if the feather was broken or had worked its way out of the follicle or whatever and was dangling when the eaglet removed it.

A request:

I am hoping that Connick does not lose any more feathers - but if she or he does, please let me know, either by PM or an email to [email protected]. Happily the cameras do have dvr, so if I know when it happened (and can get to my computer within 12 hours), I can get a video to send to David.

Also, I mentioned that there may be a spot on Connick's chest where feathers are missing - if the zoomers manage to get a good look at that, please let me know if there's a picture or video posted somewhere, or approximately when it happened and which cam so I can do that.

It has occurred to me and others that the devastating hurricane that blew through the area last fall may have resulted in some contamination to the waters where the adults fish, and I've also heard that red tide is an issue in the area - all of which may be factors in what we're seeing here. Or it may be totally unrelated.

Thanks - and hang in there! I know that this has been a busy and stressful week at a lot of nests - so please make sure you are all making time to take care of yourselves - and I will try to do the same. :love:

:hug:

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:07 pm

Thank you Judy for contacting David H. Hopefully some help can be given to Connick so his feather condition can be reversed. Ondabebe, excellent coverage and photos spotting this and contacting Judy. I have to believe the hurricane plays into this somehow.
Marianne

ondabebe
Topic Assistant

Post by ondabebe » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:25 pm

7.55Pm tonight Connick fell out of the nest. Rescue was dispatched and Connick is now in the care of CROW. As of now there has been no news as to Connick condition but will update as news comes available.

Right before Connick went fell out
VLC Captures00007.jpg
Captiva Eagle Cam ✿ Connick Has Fallen Out Of The Nest ✿ 2023.04.04
:vid: https://youtu.be/8RDVPh_-D0g
By: Ondabebe

Window To Wildlife

Just now at 7:55pm EST, Connick fell out of the nest. Connick is being watched by a neighbor until rehabbers from CROW and SCCF can get there. At the time of this post, they are 15 minutes out. Connick will be stabilized and transported to CROW for further examination and treatment.
In regards to the dropping of many primary feathers over the past few days, we aren't sure why. Hopefully, we can get answers while Connick is at CROW. We will keep you guys updated as we know more. Big thank you to SCCF & CROW for their quick action and dedication!

:vid: https://fb.watch/jI-al4E869/

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:38 pm

Oh no but I am so glad CROW was on the spot immediately and have him in their care. Prayers and keeping good thoughts for Connick.

ondabebe
Topic Assistant

Post by ondabebe » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:43 am

Connick being picked up by SCCF & CROW last night after the fall
2023-04-05 001.jpg
:vid: https://fb.watch/jI_K--FN9w/

ondabebe
Topic Assistant

Post by ondabebe » Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:02 am

2023-04-05
Good Morning!

Captiva, FL Weather

Day: Partly cloudy. High near 82. East southeast wind to 12 mph. Max UV index 11.

Night: Partly cloudy. Low around 74. South southwest wind 4 to 11 mph.

:hatch: First Egg laid December 3rd, 2022 - Hatched January 10, 2023 - Named: CE9 At Hatch - Renamed - Connick - 85 Days Old
:cry1: Second Egg laid probably December 6-7 2022 - Nonviable

✿ April 4th 2023 Connick fell out of the nest ✿
Connick is now in the care of CROW

ondabebe
Topic Assistant

Post by ondabebe » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:10 am

PLEASE Do Not Call CROW About Connick

Wait until the information is posted here or on any of the following pages.

CROW On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CROWClinic
CROW: https://crowclinic.org/
Captiva Eagle Cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocMPjXJjBgY
Window To Wildlife On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Window2Wildlife/
Hancock Forum: viewtopic.php?p=660498#p660498

ondabebe
Topic Assistant

Post by ondabebe » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:56 am

9.41.42Am Connie is in with a fish and the first thing she notices is no kid mantling her. She looks around and starts to eat the fish
2023-04-05 012.jpg
2023-04-05 013.jpg
2023-04-05 014.jpg

ondabebe
Topic Assistant

Post by ondabebe » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:58 am

9.53.23Am Connie moves to the side of the nest with the fish and continues to eat and look up once in awhile I think to see if Connick going to fly in :cry1:
2023-04-05 017.jpg
9.58.33Am Clive lands on a branch. An Osprey came at him while flying in. Osprey have eggs over there
2023-04-05 002.jpg
2023-04-05 003.jpg

Return to “Other North American Eagle Cams”