Redding, CA - 2022-23 - Bald Eagle Cam

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

JudyB
Admin

Redding, CA - 2022-23 - Bald Eagle Cam

Post by JudyB » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:12 pm

Live Cam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYMYJOz2KoQ

(If that doesn't work, go to https://www.youtube.com/@FriendsoftheRe ... s/streams and click the link for "Friends of the Redding Eagles Live Stream" (with LIVE in red writing))

The nest is in the Pacific time zone.

The current adults are named Liberty (F) and Guardian (M)

2022-2023 Season:
  • cams on: October 17
  • adults return: likely by September 30/October 1; both on cam October 18
  • first egg laid: February 14, about 6:45 pm
  • sad news: the adults spent several hours away from the nest after the first egg was laid, and a pair of magpies came in and were pecking at the egg; they didn't break it - but they may have damaged it because it cracked and was collapsing as of the afternoon of February 17
  • second egg laid: February 17, 6:22 pm
  • sad news: the remaining egg burst on March 28 at 2:48 am, which was day 39; there was no sign of a near-term chick, and generally eggs don't burst like that unless develpment stops fairly early in the process
  • hatched:
  • named:
  • branched:
  • fledged:
  • cam down: May 22
  • adults last seen: mid-June
  • cam cleaned and repositioned: June 24

Links:
2022 Nesting Season - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=590
Weather - https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/we ... ia/redding
Friends of the Redding Eagles on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/FriendsoftheReddingEagles

Note: There won't be a Live Chat this year - it takes a number of people willing to spend a lot of time online to do that - but there is a FORE Official Fan Group Page on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/357795633075477 - and Chatters are welcome there.

JudyB
Admin

Re: Redding, CA - 2022-23 - Bald Eagle Cam

Post by JudyB » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:16 pm

With big thanks to Gary who created this graphic and Terri who brought it here from Facebook -

How to tell Mom Liberty and Dad Guardian apart (clicks bigger)

~~~~~~~

Wonderful video from Gary on how to tell Liberty and Guardian apart! Thank you so much Gary!

:vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0neo17SawE

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:20 pm

A Little History

Posts with a detailed history of the Redding Eagles from 2007-2017 start here - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=86&p=636#p637

Brief history from October 2018 - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=334#p107635

2019 and 2020 Nesting Seasons (link)
  • 2019 was another year of changes; Liberty and Spirit returned as usual in the fall - and chose the old hawk's nest at the Riverview golf course for their nest. Male Spirit disappeared during the winter; he was last seen with Liberty on the Christmas Tree on January 26, 2019. As of February 11, Liberty was being seen consistently with a sub adult - and on February 12 their nest came down in a record-breaking snowstorm. Happily both eagles were fine, the pair did not lay eggs this year. On March 26, the new male was named Guardian.
  • 2020 was a bit more normal; the adults were seen back in the area on September 25, and they moved back to Turtle Bay and the nest Liberty and her first mate Patriot built in 2011. The cams that had covered that nest were no longer working, but our wonderful local observers reported that Liberty and Guardian were acting as if they had eggs on February 12, and as if there might be a chick on March 22. They finally saw an eaglet on April 10 - and saw a second eaglet on April 12, but sadly didn't see the younger one again. The remaining eaglet was named Hope, fledged successfully on June 17, and remained in the area with her parents until mid-July. Hope was Guardian's first fledgling and Liberty's 22nd.
2021 Nesting Season (link)
  • A new camera was installed at the Turtle Bay nest for the 2021 nesting season (big thanks to Terri/Eaglewoman and the Friends of the Redding Eagles!) - and happily the eagles chose to use that nest! They laid three eggs in mid-February, and the three eaglets hatched March 21, 22 and 24. They were named Honor, Glory and Rebel by a poll of viewers. All three fledged successfully, if a bit non-traditionally. It was very hot in late May/early June as the eaglets turned 10 weeks old, frequently going above 100F/38C. Oldest eaglet Honor (who had never branched) had a very intentional fledge on June 3rd (74 days old). The following day, youngest eaglet Rebel left the nest as well, possibly slipping while trying to branch (the angle of the cam made it hard to be sure); Rebel was 72 days old. Happily local observers found both of them on the ground with an adult perched above; they landed near the river, and were able to have a drink of water. Middle eaglet Glory apparently liked having the nest all to his/her self, staying there another two weeks before fledging on June 18 (88 days old). All three fledglings were seen together perched beside the river on June 22, and all were seen through July 5. Both adults and two fledglings were seen in the area July 18, and one fledgling was around a few days later (it might be Honor who left first, but not sure). A happy year in spite of the challenges of the very hot weather. Guardian has now successfully raised 4 fledglings and Liberty has raised 25.
2022 Nesting Season (link)
  • Liberty and Guardian returned in the fall and happily again chose to use the nest with the camera. They laid three eggs in mid-February, but sadly one of them (perhaps the first one laid) broke or collapsed during the night of March 4-5. The other eggs hatched on March 20 and 23 (day 36 for both if they were #2 and #3), and on April 26 they were named Sentry and Star by a poll of viewers. Older eaglet Sentry fledged on June 11 (83 days old) after branching on June 8; Star was a bit more leisurely, branching on June 10 and fledging on June 19 (88 days old). As seems to be common at this nest, Sentry didn't return to the nest for a couple of days after fledging, and was seen perched with Liberty on the 13th, finally returning to the nest on the 14th for a share of the food that was being provided there for Star; Sentry spent the night on the nest, and flew in and out several times the next day, June 15. The last confirmed sighting of Sentry in or near the nest was the morning of June 23rd; Star continued returning to the nest for a few more days and was confirmed there the evening of June 28th; one of the fledglings visited the evening of the 29th, but we're not sure which one. They do have a wonderful area near the water to explore, so it's not surprising that they focus on that fairly soon after fledging. The camera was having some technical problems and was turned off on July 1st. Star was being seen by local observers through July 13th, and Sentry and Liberty were last seen July 16 (not sure of exact date for Guardian, but he was around).

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:20 pm

Reserved

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:22 pm

Reserved

Please post updates about cam maintenance in the 2021-2022 thread so this one will start with the return of the eagles.

I'll plan to unlock the thread when it gets close to the time they generally return - and please feel free to PM or email me if they are back and I don't notice.

:ty:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:37 pm

October 6, 2022

The camera is not on yet, but it appears that the eagles may be back in the area!

From the Friends of the Redding Eagles (FORE) Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/FriendsoftheReddingEagles:

September 30, 8:15 am - Mike saw an eagle who could be Guardian on Liberty's Island (link to post on Facebook - note: the accompanying music was very loud on my computer)

October 1 - Mike posted a picture of an eagle that looks like Liberty in the Family Tree (link to post)

Per FORE, there were earlier sightings of eagles in the area, but none close enough to confirm an identification. These two looked like the right eagles and were in places we'd expect Liberty and Guardian to be, but I'm not sure we can confirm that they are back yet.

I'll check with Terri/Eaglewoman and see if she knows when the cam might start streaming. Maintenance was done on September 26 (link), but there may still be work to be done before the signal is ready to be published on YouTube.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:21 pm

October 17, 2022

We are live! :D

20221017_006.jpg

Big thanks to eaglewoman/Terri and everyone who helped make this happen!

I will be locking the old thread in a few minutes.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:31 pm

October 18, 2022

Posted by Terri/eaglewoman on the Friends of the Redding Eagles facebook page:

October 18, 2022 Update:
THEY'RE BAAAAAAAACKKKKK!!!!!
Both of our beloved Redding Eagles Liberty & Guardian were "in the House" this morning!!!!! What an absolutely beautiful sight to wake up to!
We can now confirm that both Liberty & Guardian are back safe & sound from their summer migration! What a relief that is! Brings tears to these 'ole eyes of mine. This will be my 19th year following our lovely Liberty the legend & I know there are many of you who have been following her for a long, long time too!
It is absolutely miraculous that this magnificent 24 year old eagle has been raising her family in the middle of our beautiful City of Redding for this many years! We are so very lucky to have her & her phenomenal 3rd mate Guardian back & preparing their nest for another Nesting Season & more offspring to add to the 26 offspring Liberty has raised with her 3 mates.
Here's to another exciting & wonderful Nesting Season!
Thank you all for being here with us & sharing this incredible journey with our Redding Eagles!
~Terri
20221018_004_Redding_Terri.jpg

So wonderful to see them together on the nest! Please check out the Facebook page - lots more pictures there. :love:

Ferenz
Topic Assistant

Post by Ferenz » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:35 am

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:38 pm

Hi Ferenz & all!

Thank you so much for sharing some screen shots of our beloved Redding Eagles!

Our Cam Operator Gary zoomed in nice & close today to give us some great close ups of Miss Liberty...
lib close up 2022.JPG
lib is the fairest in the land.JPG

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:32 pm

Good afternoon Ferenz & All!

I’m so excited to share this new video with you that Gary & I collaborated on together! Although Gary & I live hours away from each other, due to the wonders of modern technology we were able to make it work!
Gary wanted to update the earlier video he produced on how to Identify Liberty & Guardian. And we both cherish any chance we have to work together on eagle projects! So, I did the narration & Gary did all of the technical work!
We hope it helps you to hear how I tell these two apart when I’m out in the field observing & photographing them. I’m observing the eagles from a much further distance than when you’re watching them on the Eaglecam, but hopefully you will enjoy the video & find it useful, too!
As always Gary does an outstanding job on this video with the production & formatting of the photos & videos. I want to send a huge shoutout to our incredibly talented FORE Creative Director Gary for all of his wonderful contributions to our beautiful eagle community! Thank you for educating us & making us laugh & smile Gary!
Please let us know if you do enjoy the video & if you would like to see Gary & I do more of these collaborations?
If there’s a certain topic you’re interested in let us know that too!
Enjoy!
~Terri
https://youtu.be/31XwGjTsvg8

jimfri

Post by jimfri » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:18 am

Thank you Terry for sharing this video, I didn't know about these nuances of their eyes.
Pisces like a bird loves to fly and needs independence. March 5 Pisces love to be free and don't like to judge.

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:21 pm

Hi everyone! :hug:

Thank you jimfri I'm glad you enjoyed the video Gary & I collaborated on!

We've had some Camera issues these past few weeks due to the fact we are actually having a real Winter here in Redding! :mihihi:

The Camera has actually been doing pretty well despite the lack of sunshine, since we do rely partly on Solar Panels & partly on Lithium Batteries. Our Project Manager Joe wanted to make a trip to Redding to change out the Charge Controller to a newer model, but unfortunately he wasn't able to make that trip in the Fall as he had hoped. So that means we are still experiencing the "Low Voltage Disconnect" issue this season that we had here last season. Once Joe is able to make a trip up here we can get that issue resolved for good!

We are expecting more rain & cloudy weather here for the next few weeks so we may continue to experience some intermittent outages & condensation on the Dome. But, the good news is that the Eaglecam is currently running and the condensation on the Dome is beginning to clear a bit throughout the day!

The temps have been very cold here this Fall & Winter so we are experiencing more condensation than usual on the Dome. There isn't anything we can do about that so we just ask everyone to be patient & enjoy Liberty & Guardian's brief visits to the nest!

We are hoping things will start running more smoothly as we get closer to egg laying time in early to mid February! There is only so much we can control as you all know!
Thank you all for being with us on this incredible journey with our Redding Eagles!
~Terri
lib in nest condensation.JPG
lib in nest condensation-2.JPG

Eaglewoman
Content Provider

Post by Eaglewoman » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:24 pm

lib in nest condensation-3.JPG
I found Liberty on the Family Tree yesterday morning...
lib on ft-2.jpg

Maddy
Topic Assistant

Post by Maddy » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:29 pm

Thank you, Terry, for updates and pics! :thumlft:
E9 is 7 yo now

Return to “Archive - All Other North American Eagle Cams”