Wildlife of Maine - 2022 + 2023 - Bald Eagle Cam

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle cams in North America

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

JudyB
Admin

Re: Wildlife of Maine - 2022 - Bald Eagle Cam

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:48 pm

I almost forgot I have pictures!

Foggy early morning.
202208015_001.jpg

Fledgling in the tree when some other bird flies by - the wings look wrong to me for an eagle, though it could be the angle. And if the bird is closer to the cam, it could be smaller than it appears.
202208015_002.jpg

Fledgling leaving a few minutes later.
202208015_003.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:44 pm

2022 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

Hi everyone!

It's certainly been an unusual nesting season - but one thing remains the same:

We need your help so we can be prepared to see what happens next.

The first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

I may take a bit of a look back in another post - but now I'd like to look ahead to our plans and hopes for next year - and how you can help us get there. :thumlft:

While we all miss Dad Trooper at Delta 2, I'm looking forward to watching Ma Delta teach DM (Delta Male) how to be a good mate and with luck a good dad to the little chicks we hope to see them raise together in the new nest we'll be building for them, with big thanks to everyone who donated to our GoFundMe drive.

The French Creek eagles raised two chicks in 2022 - though they didn't use the nest with the cam and, even if they had, the cam went offline before the nesting season got underway. Ever the optimist, I'm hoping we'll be able to get the cam streaming again, and at the very least see the adults and maybe next year's fledglings visit the nest with a cam - and just maybe they'll decide it's time for a change and move to the nest with the cam!

Mom Dimple and Dad Duffer finally produced eggs in 2022 after three years together at Harrison Mills, but were disrupted by an intruder during the incubation. I really want to see them raising little chicks next year - and I think it will happen, and very much hope that we'll be able to replace the cams that are no longer working so we'll be able to see them raise their first chicks together.

A young pair of eagles took over the Surrey Reserve nest for the 2022 season, and weren't ready to nest then, but I think they are now - and we're looking forward to watching SM and SF (Surrey Male and Surrey Female) learn how to raise the tiny chicks we hope they will have. This is the only nest that doesn't need major work - but it would be nice to get the cams cleaned - and to do the preventive maintenance needed to make sure they keep working.

The White Rock pair had a sad year in 2022, losing their chicks when they were a little more than six weeks old - and I'm hoping we'll be able to see them come back with another successful season (they've successfully fledged 14 young eagles so far). One of the cameras at the nest they appear to be preparing for next year is in danger of falling after one of the straps holding it broke, so we are hoping to be able to fix that quickly.

The screenshot above is Ma Delta feeding her tiny eaglets in 2019 - and I would love to have five pictures like this, one from each of our nests, at this time next year. :love:

Naturally, the eagles will have a say in that - but we need to get functioning cams securely fastened at as many nests as possible in the month or so while the eagles are generally away in search of salmon.

We'll be posting additional information about the work we'd like to do at the various nests soon, but we really do need donations now so we can start reserving lifts and scheduling climbers and hopefully buying a few new cams. And remember - the first $1000 in donations will be matched - so if you adopt a nest for $250, HWF will receive $500!

We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank You!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:00 am

Thursday, August 18, 2022

Milo-8 is 104 days old; Milo-9 is 101 days old
1st fledge was on July 23 (Milo-8 was 78 days old); 2nd fledge was on July 27 (Milo-9 was 79 days old)
Fledge-1 has been flying for 26 days, fledge-2 has been flying for 22 days

The last both fledglings were seen was August 9, when the older eaglet was 95 days old and the younger 92 days old; one of them had been flying for 17 days, the other for 13 days.

As I mentioned in my post on Monday, I suspect that older eaglet Milo-8 fledged first, and that he or she is the one who left the area August 9 or 10, mostly because that's what happens most often, especially when there were a few days with less food. The remaining fledgling (likely Milo-9) is still in the area.
202208018_001.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:41 pm

Saturday, August 20, 2022

Milo-8 is 106 days old; Milo-9 is 103 days old
1st fledge was on July 23 (Milo-8 was 78 days old); 2nd fledge was on July 27 (Milo-9 was 79 days old)
Fledge-1 has been flying for 28 days, fledge-2 has been flying for 24 days

The last both fledglings were seen was August 9, when the older eaglet was 95 days old and the younger 92 days old; one of them had been flying for 17 days, the other for 13 days.

A few pictures from today -

One of the adults perched at the other end of the little row of trees from the nest.
202208020_004.jpg

Thanks, zoomer!
202208020_003.jpg

A little later, the remaining fledgling perched near the nest.
202208020_002.jpg

Have a good evening, people and eagles.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:28 pm

Sunday, August 21, 2022

Milo-8 is 107 days old; Milo-9 is 104 days old
Fledge-1 has been flying for 29 days, fledge-2 has been flying for 25 days

The last time both fledglings were seen was August 9, when the older eaglet was 95 days old and the younger 92 days old; one of them had been flying for 17 days, the other for 13 days. I suspect that Milo-8 fledged first, and that the fledgling we are still seeing is Milo-9.

As is usually the case once the eaglets fledge, we don't often see parents on the nest with them. With thanks to MaineMoxie's report on chat, I was able to record a food delivery from 5:40 am.

Here's a screenshot of the fledgling waiting for the food to arrive:
20220821_001.jpg

:vid: Food Delivery (4:30)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:52 am

Thursday, August 25, 2022

Milo-8 is 111 days old; Milo-9 is 108 days old
Fledge-1 has been flying for 33 days, fledge-2 has been flying for 29 days

The last time both fledglings were seen was August 9, when the older eaglet was 95 days old and the younger 92 days old; one of them had been flying for 17 days, the other for 13 days. I suspect that Milo-8 fledged first, and that the fledgling we are still seeing is Milo-9.

The remaining fledgling was around this morning.
20220825_001.jpg

There's an eagle in the tree at the other end of the little row of trees - likely an adult because it's a place they perch, but hard to tell.
20220825_002.jpg

Cropped from full screen:
20220825_003.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:29 pm

Thanks, zoomer - it's an adult!
20220825_004.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:05 am

~~
2022 Cam Maintenance
Fund Drive Update
Hi everyone!

First, before I forget - if you've been meaning to send in a donation to help us get our cams ready for the coming season - you're in luck! We still have a ways to go - and here's a link to our donations page:

If you have made a donation - thank you so much! We've raised almost $5000, which will be a big help as we rush to clean the cams and do routine (and some non-routine) maintenance at our nest sites.

If you're a bit curious what this is about - here's a quick summary:
  • one of the two straps holding the CloseUp cam over our White Rock nest has broken; we want to get a team with a lift to the nest to secure the cam and also clean it and the North cam in a neighboring tree
  • one of the cameras at our Harrison Mills nest has stopped working and the other has been going offline for weeks at a time; we want to repair or replace the cam that has stopped working, and possibly replace the cam that works intermittently, and also check the onsite wiring in case that's a factor in the outages
  • the cam at the French Creek nest stopped working in December; it's a new cam, so we're hoping it's something simple like a loose wire that could be fixed while the eagles are away
  • the Surrey Reserve cams need cleaning; we are very happy that it appears that is all they need this year - but we do want someone to check the cams to make sure nothing is beginning to give way
  • the tree holding our Delta 2 nest is dying and branches are beginning to fall off (including one that was holding one of the two cameras there); happily our GoFundMe campaign and a few private donations will cover the installation of a new sturdy nest on a pole and two new cameras, but there will almost certainly be a few things that were not included in the original estimate.
And - we're under a deadline. The eagles may begin to return as early as mid-September, so we want all the work to be completed by September 15th.

One way to help is to adopt one or more of our nests for next year with a donation of $250 or more per nest - and we are thrilled that we already have 19 nest adoptions for the 2022-2023 nesting season! Thank you!

Another thing that helps us all year long is our monthly donor program - those donations help with the monthly expenses for things like the server that hosts this forum, as well as a fairly substantial internet bill.

And if you're thinking that you'd like to donate, but really can't afford to do any of those right now - we have over 1000 members, and a lot more people who check in from time to time to see what's happening with their favorite eagles or osprey or other critters - and if even a small percent of them (of you!) could give $25 or $50 - we would be very close to our goal!

We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me or email [email protected] if you have other questions or concerns.

And if you can - please help.

Thank You!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:45 am

Sunday, August 28, 2022

Milo-8 is 114 days old; Milo-9 is 111 days old
Fledge-1 has been flying for 36 days, fledge-2 has been flying for 32 days

Good morning, everyone!

Busy morning in the territory! A juvenile eagle (I think older than Milo - seemed to be more white on the chest so maybe a year or two older, though I'm not good at judging that) - anyway, at 6:16 am, a young eagle flew in and perched on the tree to the left of the nest where one of the adults often is - and Mom Sebeca showed up at 6:29 am to chase the youngster off. Then Sebeca came back to the perch - and the youngster flew at her and they tangled again. A little later a young eagle, who could be the fledgling who is still in the area, perched there for a while.

Juvenile on perch:
20220828_002.jpg

Sebeca arrives:
20220828_003.jpg

Youngster retaliates:
20220828_004.jpg

It was maybe 10 minutes later when a young eagle (who might be either the fledgling or the visitor/intruder) came back and perched on the branch, flying off about an hour later, at 7:43 am.

Added -

As I watched the video a second time, I'm wondering if it might have been Dad Pisca who came to the perch after the initial dust-up. When the adult took on the juvie initially, they looked close in size. When the juvie went for the adult on the branch, the juvie may have been larger. And the adult didn't try to engage with the juvie - and a male rarely tangles with a female, except maybe in defense of eggs or chicks.

:vid: Visit by Young Intruder (3:37)

Added - here's a better video of the two incidents, with thanks to Wildlife of Maine:

:vid: Intruder Eagle (1:26 with great slo-mo)

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:09 pm

Friday, September 2, 2022

Milo-8 is 119 days old; Milo-9 is 116 days old
Fledge-1 has been flying for 41 days, fledge-2 has been flying for 37 days

Good afternoon, everyone! I'm afraid I've been busy with other things and may have missed the departure of the remaining fledgling. I think he or she was seen on Saturday, August 27 (and maybe on August 28), but I don't think there's been a confirmed sighting since then.

Milo-9 was 110 days old on the 27th and had been flying for a month (31 days) - so it's likely that he or she decided it's time.

The observers on chat noted that the adults were spending a bit of time perched together beginning around that time - and given the always-hungry nature of young eagles, I suspect that the fact they could spent some peaceful "just us adults" time together was another indication that the final Milo was off exploring the world. I didn't get a good pic of the adults - but here's a slightly blurry one of both of them from the morning of August 29.
20220829_001.jpg

And here's a picture from now, 7 pm on September 2nd - I don't think there are any eagles in sight at the moment, but they've been around.
20220902_001.jpg

Have a good evening!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:12 pm

Saturday, September 3, 2022

Milo-8 hatched May 6, fledged July 23 (78 days old), and was last seen August 9 (95 days old, had been flying for 17 days); Milo-9 hatched May 9, fledged July 27 (79 days old), and was last seen August 27 (110 days old, had been flying for 31 days)

A sub-adult was handing around the nest for a while today. One of the adults was also seen. I suspect that the adults are not as protective of the nest now that it appears that their fledglings have both left, and it will be a while before they start preparations for next year. It's also possible that the adult was the opposite gender of the sub-adult - and if that's the case, it's up to the same gender adult to chase a visitor off - and if that adult was out having a spa day, the youngster gets to hang out.

More seriously, I don't think Sebeca would tolerate another female checking out her nest, and I don't think Pisca would tolerate another male - no matter what time of year it is. But I do think this is a time when the adults go off for a few days - or possibly longer. I don't know if this pair heads south for the winter or if they hang around through the winter - eagles in Maine do both, though I think many of them go at least a little ways south when it gets really cold. Looking forward to seeing what happens here this winter.

Almost forgot my pictures - the first is the sub-adult, and the head and tail are not the full white of an adult, though it's not easy to tell in the shadows; the other two are one of the adults.
20220903_001.jpg
20220903_002.jpg
20220903_003.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:05 pm

Monday, September 5, 2022

Happy Labor Day!

Milo-8 hatched May 6, fledged July 23 (78 days old), and was last seen August 9 (95 days old, had been flying for 17 days); Milo-9 hatched May 9, fledged July 27 (79 days old), and was last seen August 27 (110 days old, had been flying for 31 days)

With thanks to the comments in chat, I got this picture of the two adults together this morning from the dvr. I think Dad Pisca is on the left, since he is smaller than Mom Sebeca.
20220905_010.jpg

Here's the wide view, showing them in the upper left on one of their favorite perches.
20220905_011.jpg

And another look at one of them - maybe Sebeca?
20220905_008.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:47 pm

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Milo-8 hatched May 6, fledged July 23 (78 days old), and was last seen August 9 (95 days old, had been flying for 17 days); Milo-9 hatched May 9, fledged July 27 (79 days old), and was last seen August 27 (110 days old, had been flying for 31 days).

I'm late posting this - it's from September 6, and shows one of the adults enjoying a leisurely bath and splash in the river - a little "me time" now that their youngsters have left. The video ends with the adult flying off, showing some of their territory.

:vid: Bath Time (7 minutes)

20220905_013.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:34 am

Saturday, September 24, 2022

Milo-8 hatched May 6, fledged July 23 (78 days old), and was last seen August 9 (95 days old, had been flying for 17 days); Milo-9 hatched May 9, fledged July 27 (79 days old), and was last seen August 27 (110 days old, had been flying for 31 days).

Lovely early morning pic:

20220924_004.jpg

I won't be online much this weekend - will try to get an update on Monday from the great folks on chat to see if the adults are still around. (Note - if any of you see this, please feel free to post!)

JudyB
Admin

Re: Wildlife of Maine - 2022 + 2023 - Bald Eagle Cam

Post by JudyB » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:52 pm

Reserved

Return to “Other North American Eagle Cams”