Little Miami Conservancy Eagle Nest Cam 2021-2022

To store all archived 'Other North American Eagle Cams' topics

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

Baita
Topic Assistant

Re: Little Miami Conservancy Eagle Nest Cam 2021-2022

Post by Baita » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:37 pm

SATURDAY, AUGUST 13

It looks like the streaming is done for the 2021-22 season. It's been days now. I wish they had waited until at least one of the Es had left the area but it is what it is. This nest's story was very happy and successful. Those of us who follow raptors know never to take these things for granted. Nature can be rough and an element of luck is also necessary for things to go perfectly. Mr. and Mrs. Little were exemplary in their care for the nest and their offspring. They delayed incubation so that the Es were born one day apart. It became evident by their size that Little 1 was a female and Little 2 male. Little 1 behaved like the typical first born and ate first and won the physical battles. All in all there was little bonking and Little 2 managed to thrive and steal perfectly.

I hope the Little Miami River Conservancy considers this to be a positive and beneficial endeavor and they decide to return next season. Thank you to them for providing this cam and stream and to the Oeder family for allowing the cam to be placed in their property. Thank you also to the Hancock Wildlife Foundation for allowing me to create and manage this topic. I can't believe I reviewed 24/7 for months by myself. I was happy to do so knowing that this wonderful family's year will be forever documented in this website. Thank you to those who have taken the time to watch together with me. Thank you to Mr. and Mrs. Little as well as Little 1 and Little 2. May fish be plentiful for you always. Soar on!
I follow SWFL, Harrison Mills, Smøla, Kenai, and Berry College

MWalls

Post by MWalls » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:02 pm

I’m so glad I eventually found your forum. The pictures are awesome and your comments informing. I pray this camera returns next year. Fly high Little Family. See you next year. ❤️

Kitcat11848
Topic Assistant

Post by Kitcat11848 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:47 pm

Baita, I’m glad you steered me to your nest although I didn’t have time to help you with posting. I really enjoyed all your s’caps and posts and you did a fantastic job all by yourself. I know that feeling :%: As you stated, hopefully the Conservancy will sponsor the cam again next season and maybe others will jump in and help. :luck: Have a great off season and maybe we can find a few other nests to monitor :huggie:
Marianne
AKA: Marianne

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:29 pm

2022 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

Hi everyone!

It's certainly been an unusual nesting season - but one thing remains the same:

We need your help so we can be prepared to see what happens next.

The first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

I may take a bit of a look back in another post - but now I'd like to look ahead to our plans and hopes for next year - and how you can help us get there. :thumlft:

While we all miss Dad Trooper at Delta 2, I'm looking forward to watching Ma Delta teach DM (Delta Male) how to be a good mate and with luck a good dad to the little chicks we hope to see them raise together in the new nest we'll be building for them, with big thanks to everyone who donated to our GoFundMe drive.

The French Creek eagles raised two chicks in 2022 - though they didn't use the nest with the cam and, even if they had, the cam went offline before the nesting season got underway. Ever the optimist, I'm hoping we'll be able to get the cam streaming again, and at the very least see the adults and maybe next year's fledglings visit the nest with a cam - and just maybe they'll decide it's time for a change and move to the nest with the cam!

Mom Dimple and Dad Duffer finally produced eggs in 2022 after three years together at Harrison Mills, but were disrupted by an intruder during the incubation. I really want to see them raising little chicks next year - and I think it will happen, and very much hope that we'll be able to replace the cams that are no longer working so we'll be able to see them raise their first chicks together.

A young pair of eagles took over the Surrey Reserve nest for the 2022 season, and weren't ready to nest then, but I think they are now - and we're looking forward to watching SM and SF (Surrey Male and Surrey Female) learn how to raise the tiny chicks we hope they will have. This is the only nest that doesn't need major work - but it would be nice to get the cams cleaned - and to do the preventive maintenance needed to make sure they keep working.

The White Rock pair had a sad year in 2022, losing their chicks when they were a little more than six weeks old - and I'm hoping we'll be able to see them come back with another successful season (they've successfully fledged 14 young eagles so far). One of the cameras at the nest they appear to be preparing for next year is in danger of falling after one of the straps holding it broke, so we are hoping to be able to fix that quickly.

The screenshot above is Ma Delta feeding her tiny eaglets in 2019 - and I would love to have five pictures like this, one from each of our nests, at this time next year. :love:

Naturally, the eagles will have a say in that - but we need to get functioning cams securely fastened at as many nests as possible in the month or so while the eagles are generally away in search of salmon.

We'll be posting additional information about the work we'd like to do at the various nests soon, but we really do need donations now so we can start reserving lifts and scheduling climbers and hopefully buying a few new cams. And remember - the first $1000 in donations will be matched - so if you adopt a nest for $250, HWF will receive $500!

We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank You!

Baita
Topic Assistant

Post by Baita » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:15 pm

MWalls wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:02 pm
I’m so glad I eventually found your forum. The pictures are awesome and your comments informing. I pray this camera returns next year. Fly high Little Family. See you next year. ❤️
Your kind words mean a lot to me. Thank you! We’ll see if they return in October. At least the cam started streaming last October. :huggie:

Baita
Topic Assistant

Post by Baita » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:17 pm

Kitcat11848 wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:47 pm
Baita, I’m glad you steered me to your nest although I didn’t have time to help you with posting. I really enjoyed all your s’caps and posts and you did a fantastic job all by yourself. I know that feeling :%: As you stated, hopefully the Conservancy will sponsor the cam again next season and maybe others will jump in and help. :luck: Have a great off season and maybe we can find a few other nests to monitor :huggie:
Marianne
Thank you for your kind words Marianne! I know you were in the same place. Even though it was A LOT, I got a tremendous sense of pride and achievement because I thought this family deserved to be remembered. I’m so happy it was a happy season? :huggie:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:30 pm

Baita wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:37 pm
SATURDAY, AUGUST 13

It looks like the streaming is done for the 2021-22 season. It's been days now. I wish they had waited until at least one of the Es had left the area but it is what it is. This nest's story was very happy and successful. Those of us who follow raptors know never to take these things for granted. Nature can be rough and an element of luck is also necessary for things to go perfectly. Mr. and Mrs. Little were exemplary in their care for the nest and their offspring. They delayed incubation so that the Es were born one day apart. It became evident by their size that Little 1 was a female and Little 2 male. Little 1 behaved like the typical first born and ate first and won the physical battles. All in all there was little bonking and Little 2 managed to thrive and steal perfectly.

I hope the Little Miami River Conservancy considers this to be a positive and beneficial endeavor and they decide to return next season. Thank you to them for providing this cam and stream and to the Oeder family for allowing the cam to be placed in their property. Thank you also to the Hancock Wildlife Foundation for allowing me to create and manage this topic. I can't believe I reviewed 24/7 for months by myself. I was happy to do so knowing that this wonderful family's year will be forever documented in this website. Thank you to those who have taken the time to watch together with me. Thank you to Mr. and Mrs. Little as well as Little 1 and Little 2. May fish be plentiful for you always. Soar on!
I'm a little late posting :oops2: - and thank you so much for doing such a wonderful job here, Baita! It is definitely a challenge now that there are so many cams and so few of us. Looking through quickly - wonderful closeups of the tiny chicks! And amazing how fast they grow - and what wonderful parents! :love:

Thank you!

Baita
Topic Assistant

Post by Baita » Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:57 pm

Here's a link to the 2022-23 Season. viewtopic.php?f=44&t=666