Re: Seagoville, TX -- 2018-24

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle cams in North America

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

KcShylo

Re: Seagoville, TX -- 2018 -19

Post by KcShylo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:28 am

Both parents have been very diligent in keeping the eggs warm. Patiently waiting for hatch in a couple of weeks.
Screenshot_20190105-092031_Samsung Internet.jpg
:) :bye 1:

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:55 pm

The first hatch of the season should be happening quite soon! Maybe in as soon as another 10 days or so!! Meanwhile I thought I would post these two photos from the JBS FB page of the adults. We normally don't get to see nice close ups of these eagles--posted with permission. Thank you JBS!!

From Dec 25th--I suspect this might be Mom. Check out those talons!
TX   JBS eagle 1.jpg

Only guessing by the shape of the head that this might be Dad
TX   JBS eagle 2  1-19.jpg
Member since July, 2006

KcShylo

Post by KcShylo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:05 pm

Thanks Mary for posting the pics! They are marvelous. :) :)
Check on the nest throughout the day. Don't get to see eggs often,
Waiting anxiously for the hatch. Thinking in about 8 to 9 days left. :hatch: :hatch:

:ohmy: :wave:

KcShylo

Post by KcShylo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:06 pm

Cameras have not been working for 4-5 days. Sure hope up before hatch. :cry1:

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:45 pm

I hope they get it working too! I keep checking! :banghead:
Member since July, 2006

KcShylo

Post by KcShylo » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:17 am

Still no camera. :cry1: Probably a hatch today or tomorrow!
So disappointing. :hlp: :hatch:

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:53 pm

From JudyB:
ANNOUNCEMENT
Hi everyone! We've done some work on the forum over the last couple of days which unfortunately made it harder for some people to log in and stay logged in. We think we've found and fixed the problem, but it may require folks to delete their browser cookies in order to log in.

We're still working on this, but have instructions for deleting cookies for several popular browsers here - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13&p=148341#p148341 - and you can probably find the method for other browsers on the internet - and we hope to add more tomorrow.

If you have any additional suggestions or would be willing to write instructions for one of the other browsers, please let me know!

We are sorry for the inconvenience, but the work we've done will keep the forum more stable and hopefully more accessible.

If you can log in and post, if you have any questions or can help with additional instructions, please post on the Report Cams Down and Forum Errors thread in the Technical Help area.

If you cannot log in and post, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks!

KcShylo

Post by KcShylo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:09 pm

Second try on posting! Kicked me out once.

Only info I could find on nest. Seems we won't get to watch this year.
12-28-2018 Mom on nest.JPG
12-28-2018 Tom Fleming comments.JPG
Courtesy Tom Fleming
12-28-2018 Conversation.JPG
:brknhrt: :angry: :cry1:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:56 pm

The cam was down all season, but both eggs hatched (around January 23 and 25 we think, based on activity seen from the ground and some guesswork), and JBS11 and JBS12 both fledged successfully, around April 18th when they were about 85 days old.

Thank you JudyB for that information. It was hard to keep track without a working cam! :thumlft:

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:20 pm

I think we will start the 2019/2020 season right here!

I found this information on FB this afternoon ~~~

John Bunker Sands Wetland Center

A RETURN ENGAGEMENT: Mom and Dad are back for the eleventh year. Often asked: How do you tell the male from the female? It's very difficult.....unless you see them in this manner, side by side. The female is larger by about 20-25%. So it's pretty easy to make the comparison here.

Live camera coverage.... We are working on two projects simultaneously. Nothing live as yet. The logistics of building a protected system that can't utilize 110V power from the grid is daunting. We will keep you posted.

TX   side by side   10-8-19.jpg
-- Dad on the left-Mom on the right
Image: Tom Fleming
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Re: Seagoville, TX -- 2018 -20

Post by MaryF » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:36 pm

Stats for 2019/20 ~~~

* Eagles returned -- Not sure but they were both seen on October 8th

* Eggs laid -- Shift change suggesting incubation seen January 4

* Eggs hatched --

* "Branched" --

* Fledged --

* Last seen --
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:43 pm

.We have been notified that there will be no cam this season :( but they are working on something new for next season. We will attempt to see what is going on here this season by posting what shows up on the JBS FB page! :roll:
Member since July, 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:04 am

This was posted January 4 on the JBS Facebook page:

Jan 4th
Journal Entry #9: I arrived at 9:00 to find about a dozen fans (human) of our eagle pair on site. Shortly after, one of the eagles flew by the tower and continued to a large tree to the north (this is a frequent perching tree). He (gender tentatively assigned based on observations) stayed about 5 minutes. He returned to the nest arm of the tower a little after 10 AM. He remained there for about 10 minutes and then Mom rose up from the nest (first appearance in two hours by report). She flew off the nest made an arc and returned to the upper part of the tower. After a few minutes Dad moved over and onto the nest. I like to think of this as a “shift change”... meaning we now have parents incubating one egg or more. The likely date for the happy event(s) was between Christmas and New Years. The timing follows the precedent set last year.....now, about the picture. The male in the tree was seen bent over and preening. There is nesting material in his beak. One possible explanation is a behavior called “feaking”. It's like preening feathers but instead he is cleaning his beak – usually after feeding. Image: Tom Fleming

Thank you, Tom and JBS!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:12 pm

This was posted February 3 on the JBS Facebook page:

Feb 3rd
Journal Entry #12:PROGRESS..... How can you tell if a chick has hatched? The behavior of the adults will give clues to what is happening. When there are only eggs, the adult will raise up periodically and move the eggs around (aeration) and fluff up the bedding. This only takes a couple of minutes. Once the chick has emerged, feeding becomes a major deal.One or both parents will stand near the perimeter (the crib rails)and begin to feed the chick. None of this can be seen but you can see the adult's heads bobbing up and down as they attempt to put strips of meat in the chick's beak. This is a tedious process with frequent missed connections and dropped meat. The time needed for feeding usually runs around 10 minutes.
Happily, this is what I witnessed today. This behavior lasted from 10:42 to 10:50. I feel confident we have a chick. Just how many chicks will there be? The answer will have to wait until they are large enough to be seen as they stand up. That will take about a month or a little less.Don't worry about the coming cold snap. Eagles raise and protect babies in sub-zero temperatures routinely.

Thank you for the update!

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:12 am

.Thank you JudyB for the two updates from the nest. Since I was given permission the first year of this cam to post anything from their FB page I am going to attempt to post the other entries and photos from their Eagle Journal done by Tom Fleming :D

This was the first entry that I found! I want to thank John bunker Sands Wetlands and Tom Fleming for this coverage of the nest and the eagles. Without this journal we would have no idea what was going on with this eagle family

I will be providing observational information and interpretive commentary on the eagle's activities after each of my visits to the Wetlands. It is my hope that this information will enrich your experience when you come to visit. And for those too far to make it here, it will be a pipeline on progress thru the breeding season........Tom Fleming

Oct 16th
Mom and Dad showed up at the tower about 8:20 this morning. It was cool, windy and overcast. I see this couple casually perched 120 ft above the ground faced into a brisk wind and I can't help putting human values to this scene. I think this kind of experience adds to the awe we feel that is part of the high regard we hold for this species.

Energy is always carefully managed among predators in general. And so our eagles spend a lot of time at rest surveying their territory. After perching for about forty minutes into this visit, Dad gets restless and becomes airborne. The wind is blowing out of the NE where it runs into the tree line and hill on the far west side of the Wetlands. Dad uses the barrier and the updraft winds it provides to get around simply by soaring. As he moves a little south of the tower, he is now closer to the various ducks settled on one of the ponds. I hear the ducks begin to vocalize. Their calls are short and nervous (they are alerting each other and coordinating a lift off). The calls escalate and in just a few seconds they simultaneously take to the wing. This is the safer move relative to being a 'sitting duck'. Doubtless the eagle, at a distance of about 1000ft, is looking for the weak or unwary as possible prey. No opportunities today so he veers off to the west beyond visibility. Eventually Mom leaves the tower as well. They will have several preferred perches in their territory.
Member since July, 2006

Return to “Other North American Eagle Cams”