Re: Seagoville, TX -- 2018-24

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle cams in North America

Moderator: N Amer Eagle Cam TA's

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Re: Seagoville, TX -- 2018-21

Post by MaryF » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:41 am

Incubation of the eggs continues. Mom was on the nest for the hour and a half that I was on station today. Dad spent about half that time on guard in a nearby tree and then left for the remainder of the time.

Image: Tom Fleming

TX   eagle near nest   4-1-21.jpg
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:28 pm

A new report from JBS.--------

.John Bunker Sands Wetland Center
·
April 20th........ I spent a little over 3 hrs with the eagles today. Mom was on the nest for all but the last 10 minutes when a shift change took place and Dad took over incubating duties. There are some distinctive behaviors on the part of the adult who is attending to a newborn eaglet. I didn't see any of those behaviors today but a hatching should be coming in the next few days. This image (from a quarter mile away) shows Mom on the Wing as Dad settles in for some incubation time.

TX   JBS   4-20-21.jpg
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:34 am

Although this isn't an eagle I thought it was interesting.

CRESTED CARACARA....They were seldom seen north of San Antonio prior to the 1990's but are now seen fairly regularly flying over the Wetlands. They are opportunistic raptors. This open approach to finding food involves recognizing and exploiting a variety options. They tend to do less soaring and fly more directly at low levels using the behavior of vultures in the air to help them locate a carcass. When scavenging, they get 'respect' from the other vultures because their beak is more powerfully structured so the others give way. (FYI-these birds are actually a member of the falcon family. I have seen many here in San Antonio)

TX   Crested Caracara     4-21.jpg
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:20 pm

No visuals yet but here is the latest bulletin from JBS Wetlands. I'm sure glad the parents were able to have a second clutch after the disaster with their day old eaglet!!

EAGLETS..........Although weather has prevented a trek near the nest for imaging, observations are possible using the spotting scope situated on the porch of the Wetland center. Sometime beginning in the last week the eagle parents have been observed engaged in feeding behavior. So confidence is high that we have eaglet(s) in the nest bowl. It will be mid to late May before the young bird(s) are big enough to be seen above the rim of the nest.
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat May 15, 2021 10:11 pm

We have at least one new baby!! :woohoo:

John Bunker Sands Wetland Center

EAGLET.......It is possible to watch the nest from the Wetland Center with a spotting scope and there have been some probable sightings of the young eaglet(s) from that distance. But we try to be conservative about such announcements – to be sure before saying something. This image is of the top of the young eaglet's head. At this age they are lovingly referred to as ' Bobbleheads'. Their head is pretty large relative to the body and the supporting muscles are not initially up to the task. Development is rapid in these young birds (from hatch to fledge in 85 days) so sightings should become more regular.

TX   eaglet in nest   5-15-21.jpg
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat May 15, 2021 10:20 pm

I missed a post!! :w00t:

May 13th. All is going well with our eagle pair and their eaglet. (Still can't confirm where it's one or two). The hatchling is about 3 weeks old at this point. Today I found Dad patrolling his perimeter and running off a couple of raptors that had come in too close. No dramatic chase or encounter, just being there was enough to encourage the others to leave.

TX   Dad   5-13-21.jpg
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Mon May 31, 2021 11:27 am

I'm hoping that there will be some kind of update on the resident eagles and their new family after this event at the wetlands. Talons crossed!!

TX   event   2021.jpg
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:33 am

VIGILENT............... Mom can be seen to the upper left of the nest perched on a limb in the same tree. I can tell it's Mom because Dad always yells at me when I drop in and that didn't happen. I saw only one eaglet and it was fairly active. Sightings of a possible 2nd eaglet are not yet confirmed from this vantage point. You can see in this image that the young eagle now has its dark juvenile plumage covering most of its body.

. Image from 1000 ft : Tom Fleming

TX   new nest and eaglet   6-4-21.jpg
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:11 pm

An update today from JBS ----

TX   update   6-10-21.jpg
Member since July, 2006

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:32 pm

This year's Eagle season has been bitter sweet. I am sharing this album with you as I look back at the tragic loss of JBS14, and look forward to the future of the new eaglet, JBS15. For those of you signed up for tomorrow's Eagle Talk, we are in for a treat. I always enjoy hearing our director Jon DeFillipo talk. John has worked very hard from the very beginning to make sure that the Wetland Eagles have a safe and welcoming place to live.
Bill and I (Kathy) love sharing the Eagles with you and look forward to the Eighth Eagle Walk and Talk at John Bunker Sands Wetland Center.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set?vani ... 7730733065
Member since July, 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:47 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!
2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets general fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

Ferenz
Topic Assistant

Post by Ferenz » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:03 am

.Since we do not know if the eagles will come back to the tower or use the new nest that they built, we will use this post as the first one of the 2021/22 season for this cam. :roll:

Link to the new cam -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UHZcbvEd3s

***********************************************************************************************************************************************

MaryF
Forum Assistant

Post by MaryF » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:44 pm

.Good catch Ferenz! I wonder if they will use this nest this season??!!
Member since July, 2006

KcShylo

Re: Seagoville, TX -- 2018-22

Post by KcShylo » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:46 am

Saw an adult at the nest there this morning. Flew in at approximately 7:32 am Oct 3 2021. Landed in nest a bit, then walked over to cross bar and mainly watching around the area.
Screenshot_20211003-083406_YouTube.jpg
Snap from JBS wetlands camera.

Ferenz
Topic Assistant

Re: Seagoville, TX -- 2018-22

Post by Ferenz » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:13 am

Return to “Other North American Eagle Cams”