Beaver Rd Bald Eagle Nest, Denman Island - 2022-2024 Season

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

heatherj
Content Provider

Beaver Rd Bald Eagle Nest, Denman Island - 2022-2024 Season

Post by heatherj » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:16 am

Welcome to the Beaver Rd nest thread

If you visit the Beaver Rd nest on Denman Island, BC, Canada you are welcome to post comments and pictures here.

This nest is new to the forum in 2022/23 though eagles have reportedly been in the area for several years. The nest is in a Douglas Fir on private property but public viewing is possible from the beach below East Rd.

Many thanks to Sharon for setting up this thread :)

2022/23 - 2 successful fledges, on or before July 30
2023/24 - Adults returned on or before Oct 4. Fingers crossed for a successful season. :luck:
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Beaver Rd Bald Eagle Nest, Denman Island - 2022-2023 Season

Post by heatherj » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:58 pm

Ma and Pa
HWF_BeaverRd_20221013_7796.jpg
View of Nest Tree
HWF_BeaverRd_20221008_113208-3.jpg
Close up of nest from the beach
HWF_BeaverRd_20230127_2881.jpg
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:58 pm

Reserved

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:33 pm

Hi Heather,
Just checked for your new thread and love the photos. The eagles look very healthy and I am hoping they will produce young this season. I will be checking your thread throughout the season for updates and more photos :thumlft:
Member since 21 June 2006
Volunteer Nest Monitor for Wildlife Tree Stewardship Program (WiTS)
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:52 pm

Thanks Kay! Keeping my fingers crossed! :luck:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:55 pm

Sadly no pictures but today we saw Ma and Pa mating in the nest tree!

Happy Valentines Day! :eagle: :rh: :eagle:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:43 pm

I've been hoping you 2 would find each other over there. Glad to see you have. We miss you here Heather!
Hoping you have youngsters in your nest by now!
Sandra

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:40 pm

Thanks Sandra! I miss you guys too! I hope all your eagle pairs are keeping you busy and entertained!

It is very cool to have these 2 as neighbours. :love: But I'm not quite sure where they're at yet. They are both around and very noisy in the mornings. Then today I saw one of them bring some moss and greens to the other adult in a nearby tree before dropping the clump off at the nest. It looked as though he was showing her his moss to make sure it was OK to add to the nest! :D So perhaps they're getting ready to lay?

Fingers crossed for some egg action soon! :luck:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:19 pm

Ma and Pa have been very noisy and quite active over the last few weeks so I don't think they have been incubating. But for the last day or so they have been much quieter and I'm pretty sure they are now sitting on eggs on the nest. Unless he's off hunting, Pa is sitting nearby and Ma is on the nest - I have heard her shouting at passing eagles from inside the nest. So all looking good here! :)

It was great watching them while the herring were spawning here last month. One morning I watched them make 2 or 3 journeys out to a herring ball each time returning with claws full of herring! I'm sure that kept them going for quite a few days! :fish::eagle: :D

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:07 pm

Hi Heather! So happy you have a new nest to watch and follow, just read through the thread and look forward to seeing how everything goes this season. Miss you over here but looks like you are settling in well in your new location.

Karen H

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:43 am

Thanks Karen! 🙂 I miss you guys too but cool to be able to be able to follow along with the Sunshine Coast nests.

I'm hoping we will soon have eaglets in this nest. :luck: Though I'm less excited about the leftovers and poop shots over the edge of the nest falling on our deck! :D But it will be interesting to see what they're eating!!!

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Thu May 25, 2023 12:00 pm

No pictures but I'm pretty sure I just heard a baby calling for food from the nest! :clap: :rh:

We have been seeing lots of food deliveries (mostly fish) for the last couple of weeks so I was pretty sure we had at least 1 eaglet. Still no sightings but its looking good! :)

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Thu May 25, 2023 5:01 pm

That's very good news Heather :woohoo: Looking forward to seeing some photos :thumlft:
If you find a new nest, please contact me so it can be added to the WiTS mapping program.

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:16 pm

A definite eaglet sighting this evening! And maybe evidence of a second! :rh: :rh:

An adult was in the nest feeding one eaglet and it looked as though the adult was switching between two spots in the nest with food. Also I think there were 2 voices coming from the nest asking for food! :woohoo:

I did get some pictures of one eaglet and will add them here as soon as I've uploaded them!

sassyk
Content Provider

Post by sassyk » Wed Jul 05, 2023 7:35 pm

Fantastic news Heather :woohoo:

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”