Edmonds Rd Bald Eagles, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2021 & 2022 seasons

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
heatherj
Content Provider

Edmonds Rd Bald Eagles, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2021 & 2022 seasons

Post by heatherj » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:07 pm

Welcome to the Edmonds Rd Nest thread

If you visit the Edmonds Rd nest in Roberts Creek you are welcome to post comments and pictures here.

This nest is new to the forum in July 2021 but eagles have been seen at this beach for many years. The nest is on private property but can be viewed from the beach. To view the nest, walk on to the beach west of Roberts Creek and look back to the houses to the west. The nest is well hidden even at low tide and is in the split of a tall spindly conifer tree, the tallest tree in the picture. The blue point in the map is the approx location of the nest and the pink smudge is the viewpoint. The lower the tide, the better the view of the nest. it pays to go out as far as possible to locate the nest and then walk slowly back in to get a closer view.

There may also be another viewpoint on other side, from the Edmonds Rd Beach Access path - TBD

2020/21 - 1 successful fledge on or before Aug 6.

2021/22 - Adults in area during nesting season but no info on any eaglets or fledges

HWF_RobertsCreek_20200319_6440.jpg
Edmonds Rd Location.png
HWF_RobertsCreek_20210605_114030.jpg
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Edmonds Rd Bald Eagles, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2020/2021 season

Ma and Pa from Nov 2019
HWF_RobertsCreek_20191114_7563.jpg
Ma and Pa from June 2020
HWF_RobertsCreek_20200613_9909.jpg
Adult from Jan 2021
HWF_RobertsCreek_20210103_0683.jpg
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Edmonds Rd Bald Eagles, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2020/2021 season

Juvenile from Nov 2020
HWF_RobertsCreek_20201121_9108.jpg
Juvenile from Dec 2020
HWF_RobertsCreek_20201223_0317.jpg
Juvenile from Jan 2021
HWF_RobertsCreek_20210103_0553.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:16 pm

Reserved

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:19 pm

I visited on June 5 and saw 1 adult perched at the top of one of their usual trees and then another adult flew overhead clasping a stick. The adult flew into the nest and left a few moments later. An adult flew in to the same spot with another stick a few minutes later. This seems quite late for nest building so perhaps some nest repairs? Although In the first pic there is quite a tumble of sticks below the nest so maybe even a rebuild?

A juvenile flew a bit too close so an adult flew off to send them on their way!

Flying in with a stick
HWF_RobertsCreek_20210605_9024.jpg
Placing the stick
HWF_RobertsCreek_20210605_9026.jpg
Chasing a juvenile away
HWF_RobertsCreek_20210605_9053.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:30 pm

I visited on July 1 and I'm pretty sure I saw a big dark shape moving around in the nest. I could see both adults perched nearby so this might be an eaglet! I will check my pics once I have uploaded but fingers crossed, at least 1 eaglet this season. :)

I also saw an adult flying over clutching what looked like a rat. The adult flew right to the nest so I'm sure a welcome food delivery! :luck:

Pics to follow

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:26 pm

Awesome spotting Heather! You have been persistent and it has paid off! :w00t:

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:32 am

Hi Heather that's great that you found this nest. I have seen eagles flying around in that area over the years. :)
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:41 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:33 pm

Karen H (mushka) spotted a juvenile on one of this pairs favourite perches and took this picture. With the resident adult perched nearby, this is almost certainly a juvenile from this nest, so I think at least 1 successful fledge this season! Many thanks Karen! :hug:

Notes from Karen :-
I was at Roberts Creek pier a few days ago and could hear the high pitched persistent call of a juvenile eagle from somewhere over to the left (if standing at the end of the pier looking back), at first I couldn’t see anything just heard the calling but kept watching and then saw a juvenile fly into a tree and then a short time later to this perch (in the attached picture). An adult flew in a short time later and landed close by.
HWF_EdmondsRd_20210809_0826.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Edmonds Rd Bald Eagles, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2021 & 2022 season

Post by heatherj » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:39 pm

2021/2022 season begins here

:luck: :luck: :luck:

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Edmonds Rd Bald Eagles, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2021 & 2022 season

Post by heatherj » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:59 pm

I visited last Thursday and saw 1 adult and at least 3 juveniles. They were perched above and around the creek with some salmon visible in the creek and on the sides. I'm not sure if these were the adult and juveniles from this territory or just visitors interested in the salmon. No eagles seen perched by the nest tree.

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Edmonds Rd Bald Eagles, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2021 & 2022 seasons

Post by heatherj » Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:58 pm

I visited on Nov 7 and saw 1 adult flying into one of their favourite perches from over the water. While I was there I heard a lot of calling, probably re-establishing territories for the upcoming season.

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Edmonds Rd Bald Eagles, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2021 & 2022 seasons

Post by heatherj » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:20 pm

I visited today and walked along the beach towards the nest tree. An adult was perched at the top of what I think was the nest tree although it was hard to be sure as I was viewing from a different angle.

While I was there 2 separate juveniles flew over - the adult called out to them but they kept moving so s/he obviously wasn't too concerned about them! :)

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:34 pm

I visited last week and made a bit of a discovery. :) This pairs territory includes the opposite side of Roberts Creek to the nest.

I was walking along the beach on the eastern side of the creek and after about a 1 minutes walk along the beach, spotted a pair of adult eagles perched on a large Douglas Fir tree. After about 5 mins they both flew off towards the Edmonds Rd nest tree and perched together on the favourite perch tree right next to the nest. And they stayed there the whole time I was down at the pier. Which I think confirms that this pair must own that whole territory! I'm not sure if that's new this year or if its always been theirs but they were definitely very happy perched together on the both sides of the creek.

Which I think means that we could rename this pair the Roberts Creek nest?
HWF_Edmunds_20220128_9733.jpg

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”