Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - Seasons 2018-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

heather

Re: Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - 2018 & 2019

Post by heather » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:41 am

As nothing much was happening, I started to pack up my gear, when Ma flew in with some food. The baby moved down to where the nest remains were and had a bite to eat.
DSC_8849.JPG
I was a relieved as I was a little concerned as I found a body of a baby goose below the nest tree, and it looked like it hadn't been touched. So I wondered if this baby was even eating.
After this baby had quite a few bites of food, out of no where, the other baby flew in! He/she came from the direction of the trees across the field from the nest tree. So we know that at least one of these babies is flying! I missed the shot. He/she joined the other baby for a quick bite,
DSC_8859.JPG
After that he/she headed way up into the top of the tree
DSC_8870.JPG
At that point, we decided to head home. I'm keeping my talons crossed the remaining baby gets the nerve up to take flight. We'll be back in the next day or 2 to check on the progress.
Cheers
Heather

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:34 pm

I am so glad you have been able to follow this nest so well Heather. It is sad to lose most of the nest, but it sounds like these 2 will flourish. Thank you for all the great pics as well as commentary! :grhug:

heather

Post by heather » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:03 am

Hi Everyone!
Thank you for your kind words Stim. It was fun following this nest again, even though in the end, it broke down, but at least both babies have fledged!
We haven't been able to get out for a visit this past week, but a friend of ours that lives near by made a visit to the nest on Tuesday. At that time there was only 1 baby sitting just up from the remains of the nest, calling out. He found lots of food remains under the nest tree. Hopefully that is a good indication that the baby was eating. He didn't see any signs of either adult or the other baby.
We were able to make it out on Friday, and there were no signs of either baby anywhere! There is very very little left of the nest
DSC_8879.JPG
Quite a bit of the fallen nest is caught in the nest tree just below where the nest was. It also looks as if it is the start of another nest. Talons crossed because that location of the tree is quite a bit more stable looking than where the nest was for this season! That being said, it also looks as if a few of the trees around this location have been chopped back quite a bit, and one of the trees has yellow caution tape wrapped around it, indicating that it may be taken down. We also can see alot of branches and such under the nest tree that have just simply rotted and have fallen to the ground. While we were there, we heard a cracking sound and turned to see a big branch from the tree next to the nest tree fall to the ground.
After looking around, there were no remains of any food around, and we found one of the adults sitting in one of the evergreen trees across the street near the PNE.
DSC_8883.JPG
DSC_8885.JPG
I guess this seasons chapter on this nest has come to a close. I wish these 2 youngsters all the success for a bright future. I am keeping my talons crossed that this pair will have another successful year next season.
Until then...
...Cheers!
Heather

Annemie
Content Provider

Post by Annemie » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:30 pm

Thank you Heather for the report and all the amazing pictures :huggie: .
I am happy that we had a good year. :luck:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:50 am

Yes, thank you Heather for your marvellous reporting and photos. How wonderful to have followed this nest to a hopeful successful fledge of 2 eaglets. Condition of the trees of course remains a constant concern. If this couple could rebuild on top of a used nest rather than starting afresh each year perhaps they would have more success going forward! :grhug:

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:17 am

Hi Heather, thanks for your report and pictures I like to follow this nest as I first went with gemini many years ago. It sounds like it was a good year for them. :D
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:56 am

Hi all Hastings nest followers -

Just to let everyone know .....

While discussing the status of various local nests with David H yesterday, he informed me that someone from OWL called him to tell him an eaglet with a sore foot had been picked up in an alleyway in the vicinity of the Hastings nest last week. They figure it is one of the Hastings eaglets. It is now at OWL recuperating.

Hopefully h/she will be back on his/her feet and flying again soon!

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:10 am

Thank you for this information Sharon, sad as it is but with hopeful positive overtones. :hug:

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:51 am

A REMINDER:

FLEDGEFEST is coming up soon!

Don't forget to RSVP by August 10

Details HERE

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:39 pm

This post marks the start of the 2019-2020 season.

For links to previous seasons go HERE (scroll down)

A brief summary of previous seasons can be seen in the first post of this thread.

gemini
Admin

Re: Hastings Street/PNE Nest, Vancouver - Seasons 2018-2020

Post by gemini » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:35 pm

Don't forget the Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival is this Weekend!

Experience this Natural Phenomenon in 2019

The 24 Annual Festival - November 16-17, 2019

Download a map HERE! And just follow the Scenic 7 Highway - 30 minutes east of Mission, BC to the Harrison River/Harrison Mills, BC

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:25 pm

Vicki's observations for 2019

I first spotted Ma and Pa this season on November 11, 2018, then again on January 6, 2019 at the cottonwood nest tree, east-side of parking lot at Hastings and Renfrew. Two eaglets were born about mid April. One eaglet went missing when the nest broke on July 10, the other had enough wing power to fly with mom and hang out at the pne pond across Hastings.

March 2, 2019, I viewed the new eagles nest at Hastings and Renfrew Street, east side of parking lot. In 2017 and 2018, the nest was across the street by the pond.

April 30, Ma and Pa did a shift change at nest. Ma appears to be feeding eaglet.
May 4, Another day, another visit, another shift change.
May 7, My first view of the baby.
May 8, A large portion of the nest fell, but eaglets were ok.
May 9, View of both eaglets. Later Pa dropped off food, Mom tears it up and feeds the eaglets.
May 10, Eaglet with spiked head feathers.
May 11, Ma and her two baby eaglets
May 19, Ma and Pa admiring offspring. The youngest eaglet is often hidden in the nest. Same scenario as last year's eaglets - with the older active eaglet entertaining the younger quieter sibling.

May 26, Eaglet under mom’s wing.
May 27, Pa lands at the pond at dusk for his evening drink, same routine as last year.
May 28, The parents do a shift change at nest. The parents repair the nest, but it's not holding up very well.
May 28, Later the eaglet was flapping wings.
May 29, Ma with eaglet number 1. The other eaglet is hidden in nest.
May 29, Eaglet hops over to mom for a chat.
May 30, Dad quickly drops off food. One eaglet appears to be feeding himself.
June 5, Mom hangs out with the two eaglets. Then later is was wing-flapping family time.
June 12, The eaglets get along well, as food seems plentiful. Mom makes sure second eaglet gets food after the assertive eaglet eats first. The second born Hastings eaglet is always more passive. Later on it was evening cuddle time with mom.

June 14 - July 9, Eaglets flapping, eating, branching out and growing up.

July 10, Nest broke again, where are the eaglets? On July 11, I saw one eaglet safe in another tree, then he flew across Hastings Street, but the other eaglet is still missing. Later I saw seagull wings with attached legs by the pond where mom and eaglet may have been eating above.

July 12, Parent and eaglet are at Hastings fir trees near the pond.
July 13, An eaglet was found near Boundary Road and Pender Street. Is this the eaglet that went missing on July 10 when the nest fell? Angela took it to OWL for treatment. His injured foot was fixed and banded, then released on August 22 at North end of Boundary Road.

July 18, Last time I saw the eaglet and parents at the pne grounds.
009 Apr 30.jpg
April 30
018 May 4 Sat  Another day, another visit, another shift change.jpg
May 4
022 May 7 my first view of the baby.jpg
May 7, my first view of the baby eaglet
Last edited by vkahri on Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:30 pm

027 May 10 Rock Star Spike or Axel, or Billy Idol 710pm.jpg
May 10 Eaglet with spiked head feathers
030 May 11 back at the Hastings nest.jpg
May 11
041 May 27 Pa lands at the pond for his evening drink .jpg
May 27 Pa lands at the pond for his evening drink, same routine as last year.

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:36 pm

051 May 28.jpg
May 28, Eaglet flapping wings. The parents repair the nest, but it's not holding up well.
052 May 29.jpg
May 29, Eaglet hops over to mom for a chat.
069 June 05.jpg
June 5, Mom hangs out with the eaglets.

vkahri

Post by vkahri » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:47 pm

073 June 14.jpg
June 14 Wing flapping time.
074 June 19.jpg
June 19 Family time
076 June 23.jpg
June 23 Yippee! Later on the other eaglet was also flapping

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”