Wakefield Nest near the Straight of Georgia, Sechelt BC, 2020-2024 Seasons

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

stim
Content Provider

Wakefield Nest near the Straight of Georgia, Sechelt BC, 2020-2024 Seasons

Post by stim » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:16 pm

This nest was built in 2014 by an eagle couple who had nested in a nearby tree for years. The nest tree sits on private property almost at the corner of Wakefield Rd. and Hwy 1 going west out of Sechelt. Upside on the NW corner. It can be seen from my friend's property on Wakefield Rd, especially her living room window! Lucky lady.
I have tried unsuccessfully to find the nest tree from the beach, from the side of the highway, from Wakefield Rd near the corner.
The first 2 seasons I followed this nest they raised 1 youngster who left the nest in June, early by our standards here. Every year my friend has been watching them they have had 1 youngster fledge, until this year.

2018 They raised and successfully fledged a pretty big girl, PBG, named by my friend Holly. Fledging here tends to happen early in the season. PBG fledged June 30, 2018!
2019 Another early fledge, mid June. I had heard more than one eaglet calling early in the season but Holly witnessed 1 having fledged.
2020 Holly saw what appeared to be nesting behaviour get underway but then what behaved like a female interloper fought with Ma and it is thought the interloper is the one who won the battle. Nesting behaviour stopped in March. Holly thinks the interloper is the one who hung around with Pa until time to fly north. I will continue next year's nesting news in this thread. Hoping for successful fledgling in the year ahead.
Thank you for your painful updates for our thread this year Holly!

2023-2024 Season begins HERE
2022-2023 Season begins HERE
2021-2022 Season begins HERE
2020-2021 Season begins HERE
2019-2020 Season starts HERE

If you drop by here welcome, and please feel free to post any pictures or eagle sightings you get.

stim
Content Provider

Re: Wakefield Nest near the Straight of Georgia, Sechelt BC, 2020

Post by stim » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:30 pm

Reserved

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:34 pm

Holly informed me in October that the first adult returned to the nest with a juvie on Thanksgiving, which was Oct 14. Then on Oct 19 she found 2 adults busy nestorating. Let the season begin! :thumlft:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:22 pm

Holly has given me permission to quote her reaction to current eagle activity. Sounds like they are doing what they should be this time of year. Thanks Holly! It all sounds promising.

Re: eagles... my pair is very vocal, but otherwise very boring. They yak and talk; flit and fly; scold and harangue, but otherwise seem very content and happy! They do sit, one at a time, on their branch (veranda) such cuties. They are such good parents and will, hopefully, produce more happy, healthy offspring this year.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:06 pm

It sounds like the month of March has been a disturbing time at this nest. On March 3 Holly noticed lots of aerial flying, very low swooping and eagle talk. She questioning if there might be a 3rd adult present. March 9 nest building was going on.
March 17 she mentioned the "set to the other day, big "guy" in trees, blood on branches"! Then the next information was 2 parents on a "bulked up nest".
On March 21 she asserted that they were definitely nesting, "so regal and beautiful".
Almost a week later, March 27 she said she was swooped the week before by a big, gorgeous lady, about 20 feet up. There was a female interloper trying to steal the nest.
I hope that's the last of it and this couple can get down to serious brooding without having to defend their eggs/young/nest/ themselves.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:27 pm

Sadly, our nest here did not thrive. Holly thinks an interloper took over for Ma. She and Pa stayed around for a while but no youngsters seen nor heard. No feeding behaviour.
Hoping for a successful season coming up.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:28 pm

OUR 2020-2021 NESTING SEASON WILL BEGIN HERE

Nov 10/20 I have just received this encouraging update from Holly. Thanks Holly!

Mom (I think new mom) and dad have been very busy and vocal again. Sitting in the nest and doing lots of hunting and wing spreading. No nest repairs yet. (Observed).

The exciting news is that we have a youngster in residence; many times in my yard, no photos, BUT huge young bird with transitional tail feathers! I would say half white? I think he is in love with my carved wooden eagle. Lol! I've never seen this tail colouration before. Head is still black.

We are hoping for a much better hatching season this year, and maybe our teenager will get a new sibling.

stim
Content Provider

Re: Wakefield Nest near the Straight of Georgia, Sechelt BC, 2020-2021

Post by stim » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:48 pm

Holly has reported that there is much activity around the nest, defending and building. All as it should be. :thumlft:

stim
Content Provider

Re: Wakefield Nest near the Straight of Georgia, Sechelt BC, 2020-2021

Post by stim » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:21 am

A wonderful report by Holly yesterday on what seems to be more serious nesting intent. :luck: :thumlft:

"My nest is very busy and active. Both parents are in residence and seem to be settling a bit. I was worried at first as they seemed to spend an inordinate amount of time catching the updrafts, playing, and having a heck of a good time! I kept nagging: fix that nest, lay that egg, get back to business, grow up! Maybe they have now. Lots of chatter."

Thanks Holly!

stim
Content Provider

Re: Wakefield Nest near the Straight of Georgia, Sechelt BC, 2020 & 2021 Seasons

Post by stim » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:49 pm

Last year's nesting attempt did not materialize into any young that Holly could determine. New female. We will hope for a much better outcome this nesting season.

Beginning of 2022 nesting season can start here.

On Jan. 26 Holly enthusiastically let me know the eagle couple are back, seemingly interested in the previous nest which she can see and monitor. :luck:

marg
Content Provider

Re: Wakefield Nest near the Straight of Georgia, Sechelt BC, 2020-2022 Seasons

Post by marg » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:04 pm

I went to Pender Harbour last Wednesday and on the way I looked up and saw Ma & Pa Wakefield :) they looked wonderful in the sunshine perched at the top of the tree. That tree may have been a perch tree. Sorry no photos.
:rh:
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:23 pm

Awesome you could see them from the highway Marg! :thumlft: I hope for a better nesting season for them this year.

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:38 pm

I assume it was them Sandra we were near Wakefield Road and the tree is very tall.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:26 pm

Holly has let me know there are 2 lovely big youngsters upright in this nest, "lots of flapping and jockeying for position". First of the nests I follow with this activity going on, that I know of. :luck:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:30 am

Holly let me know July 17 that both youngsters have successfully fledged from this nest. :thumlft:

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”