Reservoir Rd Nest, Sechelt BC 2020 & 2021 Seasons

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Reservoir Rd Nest, Sechelt BC 2019-2021 SEASON!

Post by heatherj » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:53 pm

Thats good news! Thanks for the update Karen! :)
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Thu May 06, 2021 9:58 pm

A quick visit to the nest on May 1st was pretty quiet though I did spot an adult looking out at me from the nest after I walked down the hill a little ways again. I couldn't stay long so didn't see if there were any little heads in the nest, hopefully next time can stay a bit longer and observe for a while.

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

DSC_7137-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri May 07, 2021 9:52 am

Lovely shot Karen! So we've learned sightings in the nest occur more frequently from downhill! :thumlft:
I see plastic is making its dreaded appearance already! :(

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:08 pm

I've been by the nest quite a few times since May 1st on my way to Sechelt, including three times in the past two weeks, and each time it's been very quiet. There have been no signs of adults or youngsters looking out from the nest even though I've tried every angle looking at the nest from the top of the road to walking down the hill looking up as I go. No adults perched close by or any eaglets calling either. Hopefully just bad timing.

Karen H

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:41 am

So sad. Hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised one day like we have in the past. Not giving up yet! :luck:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:35 am

A visit to the nest yesterday was once again quiet, after walking down the hill looking up at all possible angles of the nest and also from the top of the road I couldn't see any sign of activity or hear anything. No eyes, beaks or wings in view from any angle and no sounds of any youngsters calling. It is a hard nest to see into from the top of the hill now, which used to be the best vantage view point, due to greenery growing and covering the opening so still holding out hope that there is at least one youngster there. Would be nice if an adult made an appearance or a youngster called out while I was there though.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:28 pm

Another visit to the nest yesterday morning, and another visit without seeing or hearing any eagle activity. Checked from all vantage points, from the top of the hill to walking down the hill looking up and didn't see or hear any eaglets or adults. Did this several times, slowly walking up and down the hill looking up, with no results. Usually feathers from prey can be seen on the road near the nest tree, but the road has been free of feathers each time I've visited this year. Just seems really strange after seeing an adult in the nest several times earlier this season.

Something that is new though is that the nest tree has been tagged along with a tree a little further up the hill (I've attached a couple of pictures). The tape has S.I.B Fish printed on it, but there is no creek there ?

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

DSC_3463-1.jpg
From one of the vantage points walking down the hill, usually this is where either an adult or eaglet can be seen looking down
DSC_3470-2.jpg
Tape on a nest tree branch, new since the last time I visited the nest
DSC_3471-1.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:44 pm

Thanks for posting Karen. So sad that there is no activity this year. :(

I wonder if the tape is to mark the area as sensitive for the proposed development in there? I saw the article in the paper that they were suspending development in the area during eagle nesting season so they would probably want to indicate the location of the nest. But from your sightings it seems as though the work shutdown was too late and the eagles had already been disturbed enough to abandon the nest. Sandra mentioned some road works along there so that may have been enough to frighten them?

It would be really ironic if they get good PR for shutting down the development to protect the eagle nest when the eagles had actually already abandoned the nest . :angry:
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:24 am

Thank you for this Karen. Perhaps with protection the eagle pair will return, but they could be close to lots of noise and activity. Hopefully all will shut down during about 4-5 months needed. I somehow doubt it.
I agree wholeheartedly Heather, that the nest there may have been considered too late to save this year's family. A few days of graders or whatever they were using to smooth the road a bit and make pullovers on the side. :angry:
When I read the article in the paper about the new subdivision and saving an eagle tree I wondered if the nest there had already been compromised and they realized they would have to consider timing better.
Is the plastic on the nest from last year? I don't recall seeing it last time I was there.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:14 pm

It definitely does seem to be abandoned at this point even though there was an adult in the nest earlier in the season, quite sad about it as this pair have quite a ways to fly to deliver food to any youngsters and even so one year raised 3 eaglets successfully. I'm still hoping that it's just bad timing when I've visited but hope is giving out as by now there would usually be any eaglets visible, and if not visible during a visit they would be heard calling. Or adults delivering food. Something going on at least.

I just hope that if the nest has in fact been abandoned after they initially were using the nest earlier this year that it's not now considered an 'unused' nest so not needing any special protection.

Karen H

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:34 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

marg
Content Provider

Re: Reservoir Rd Nest, Sechelt BC 2020 & 2021 Seasons

Post by marg » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:23 pm

No eagles there the nest appears to be abandoned.
To be archived.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”