Reservoir Rd Nest, Sechelt BC 2020 & 2021 Seasons

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
Mushka

Re: Reservoir Rd Nest, Sechelt BC 2019-2020 SEASON!

Post by Mushka » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:32 pm

Finally ! A youngster visible in the nest :-) Stopped by this morning and all was quiet, I can't see any adults or eaglets in the nest so started walking down the hill looking up as I went and a little ways down saw a slight movement and some brown feathers showing through the branches, so stopped and watched and could see what appeared to be an eaglet grooming, and then finally a head appeared in the little opening in the branches ! The pictures are all I could see of the eaglet, a hard nest to see into from the upside and even walking downhill, downside is much better but never see either the adults or any eaglets from that angle, well except when the eaglets start branching as they seem to prefer that side of the nest then.

The lower side seems much more visible now, maybe a branch moved or broke off ?

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

NIK_3155.JPG
NIK_3157.JPG
NIK_3158.JPG
Looking up at the nest from down the hill, seems more open this year from this angle?

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:44 am

Another eye, and a beak! Well done Karen! Yes, the nest is much more visible in your photo. I'm pleased for your success in seeing an eaglet after your diligence with this nest.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:55 pm

I got up to this nest site on Friday June 26 as it started to rain. No sign of eaglets from the parking area. It was raining too hard to explore various vantage points. :(

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:20 pm

I love the peek-a-boo view of the eaglet Karen! Glad to hear this pair are having a successful season :)
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:59 pm

Thanks Heather, this nest is so hard to see into it really is a peek-a-boo nest. The little 'hole' that you can see through in the greeny is getting smaller and smaller from the upside of the nest where the eaglets and adults are most visible from, now if only the adults and eaglets would perch on the downside of the nest, a much better open view point :-)

I stopped by again on Tuesday (July 7th) and there were two eaglets visible :-) I first noticed the head of one from the uphill vantage point but thought I could see a second one off to the left partially hidden by branches so walked down the hill a bit, and managed to see the second eagle when I looked up.

Of course, while I was down the hill a ways the eaglets started calling and I could see an adult flying in from the upside, with something small in it's talons. Immediately the second adult flew in from the water side. I scurried back up the hill in time to see the first adult leave, the second adult stayed in the nest and appeared to be eating while the eaglets stood by. Once finished the second adult left, leaving the two eaglets exactly where they were when I first arrived. I had to leave so don't know if a second food drop happened but the eaglets were quiet so think they may have been already full ?

Karen H

NIK_4012-1.jpg
Second eaglet visible from walking down the hill and looking up
NIK_4021-1.jpg
Adult that flew in with something small in its talons getting ready to leave almost immediately
NIK_4025-1.jpg
The two eaglets, one lower in the nest with head showing the second one on the left partially hidden by branches. Hard to see but the feathers of the adult in the nest eating are visible lower down to the right

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:31 am

This is not an easy nest in which to find our eagles. You have discovered 2 vantage points which are working well for you, except for always being in the right spot at the right time for photos ops. ;) Once again, well done Karen. It is so good to hear that the youngsters were quiet with a food drop and did not rush the parent for first dibs. :D

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:35 pm

Great observations of the activity at this nest Karen. And I'm glad to hear that the eaglets seemed well fed :clap:

Thanks for sharing! :)
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:49 pm

Thank you Sandra and Heather ! Stopped by the nest for a quick visit on Monday (July 20th) and both eaglets were there, as I was driving up the hill towards the nest I could see lots of wing flapping happening but by the time I drove up, parked and got out all activity had stopped. One eaglet was perched looking out towards where the adults fly in from and the other was way up on a branch above the nest, so I have not idea who was doing all the wing exercising :-) All was quiet and I didn't hear or see any adults but wasn't able to stay long.

Karen H

NIK_4797-1.jpg
NIK_4823-1.jpg
Bit hard to see, eaglet perched on a branch above the nest, near the top left hand corner

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:58 am

So glad you found them both home Karen. I'm hoping to drop by tomorrow after seeing you, if it's not raining!
Looking good. :woohoo:

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:09 pm

2020 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

It's hard to believe that the fluffy little eaglets we first met in April are already flying around - and at least one of them is already half-way up the coast of British Columbia, feasting on salmon at one of the rivers with early salmon runs. The rest will be heading out soon, which will give us a brief window to clean the cameras, check the wiring and do any additional projects near the nests. Only one of our nests is currently sponsored (big thanks to Russ Cmolik for donating a new close-up cam for White Rock!) so we are asking those who enjoy the cams to help us get them ready for next year. We know life this year is different for many of us - but if you can help, we would really appreciate it.

We have some big plans - two new cams for White Rock, replacement domes at Surrey Reserve and Delta 2, and hopefully getting to the bottom of the connectivity issue that keeps taking the South cam at Harrison Mills offline - and there will be some large expenses if we're going to do it all. We'll need a lift to get people up to the cams at White Rock and possibly at Delta, and the tree at Harrison Mills is very tall, requiring a professional climbing team if we are to do any work on the cams themselves.

If we can raise $10,000, we should be able to do the most essential work at most of the nests. And happily some friends of the eagles have pledged to match the first $1250 raised in the next three days - so if you adopt Delta 2, Harrison Mills, Surrey Reserve or White Rock for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500!

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/ - or click the button below)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"

And if this isn't a good time for adopting a nest, you can also make a donation of any amount to the "Eagle Cams/General Repairs" fund or you can make a monthly donation by changing the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly" (the first month's donation is eligible to be matched). Many of the funds have a suggested amount - but that is just a suggestion. The amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate.

You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - and the rate of exchange right now is favorable to those of us in the United States - a donation of $250 Canadian dollars is currently less than $200 US dollars, so if you give $250 through CanadaHelps (or PayPal), HWF gets $250 Canadian dollars, and the cost to you is based on the current rate of exchange.

You can also use the other methods on the Donations page, but it's not as easy to provide all the information, so if you're sending a check or planning to give a donation directly to someone at HWF, please let me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) know a donation is coming so it gets included in the matching drive.

And if you have any questions about any of this, please do contact me or gemini and we'll be happy to help.

Thank You!

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:51 am

This will be the start of the 2020-2021 Season.

Welcome to this thread. If you visit the Reservoir Road nest you are welcome to post comments and pictures here.

This nest in Sechelt was found by Aspen in 2016. Thank you Aspen! Directions from the Highway go up Selma Park Rd. for .3km then west along Reservoir Road for .2km.

1 eaglet 2016

2 eaglets 2017

3 eaglets 2018

2 eaglets 2019

2 eaglets 2020

Link to Season 2019 HERE
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Reservoir Rd Nest, Sechelt BC 2019-2021 SEASON!

Post by heatherj » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:28 pm

Driving towards Sechelt yesterday saw 2 juveniles circling overhead just about where the nest is. Maybe last years eaglets returning for a visit?

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:18 pm

I love when that happens Heather! Here's hoping! :thumlft:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:36 pm

Haven't stopped by this nest since last year so drove up the road yesterday to see if I could see any eagle activity. At first I couldn't hear or see any adults around and also couldn't really see into the nest from the top of the hill so started walking down the hill looking up at the nest as I went.

A shorts ways down the hill I could see an eye watching me from the nest :)

Took a few quick pictures and left as this couple seems to become alarmed if they see people stop in the vicinity too long.

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

DSC_3689-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:58 am

Yay Karen! Great capture! I'm thinking she/he might look too high to be sitting on eggs which would be in a nest bowl dug into the nest. I could be wrong but hatching may have happened by now. Well caught! :hug:

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”