Coopers Green Bald Eagles, Halfmoon Bay, Sunshine Coast, BC 2019-2022

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
heatherj
Content Provider

Coopers Green Bald Eagles, Halfmoon Bay, Sunshine Coast, BC 2019-2022

Post by heatherj » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Welcome to the Coopers Green Bald Eagle nest thread.

If you visit the Coopers Green nest you are welcome to post comments and pictures here.

The nest is located on private property near Coopers Green Hall in Halfmoon Bay on the Sunshine Coast. If you visit the nest please respect the privacy of the owners.

The nest is new to the forum in 2019 but eagles have been seen in the area for many years. The nest can be seen by walking along the beach from the hall or from a beach access path - details to follow

2020/21 1 eaglet seen in nest. Fledging status unknown :luck:
2021/22 starts here :luck:

Coopers Green Map.JPG
HWF_Coopers_20190425_3453.jpg
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Coopers Green Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast, BC

This is the only pic I have of this couple! :) Just a tail tip poking out at the right of this nest from April 25 2019. I am hoping to get more some day soon!
Attachments
HWF_Coopers_20190425_3440.jpg
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Coopers Green Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast, BC

Reserved

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Coopers Green Bald Eagles, Halfmoon Bay, Sunshine Coast, BC 2019-2020

Post by heatherj » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:37 pm

I visited on Dec 30 and no eagles were around but the nest was still intact. Hoping for a successful season :)
Attachments
HWF_Coopers_20191230_9326.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:49 pm

Great to have another nest to follow Heather. How did you ever see that tail tip back in Oct? :w00t:
Lovely part of the Coast to visit!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:57 pm

Fund Drive for Hard Drives

Good afternoon, everyone! I have just learned that we do not have the hard drives we need to record our cams as we approach little chick time - and we do not have the funds necessary to buy them.

These are the high resolution drives that are connected directly to the cams at the site, making it possible to record high quality videos of events at the nests - and we usually have them up and running before the eggs are laid. As you know, we already have eggs at three of our four nests, and they are likely any day now at the fourth nest - so time is of the essence.

Our tech person Ken is estimating that it will cost about $7000 to buy the high quality, high capacity drives needed for our 9 cams, and while we are keeping up with our regular monthly expenses, we don't have the extra money needed to buy and install the hard drives.

I know this is a hard time financially for many of us, with many businesses closed - but it may also be a time when some of us are staying home and watching the eagles after cancelling planned trips or dinners out - and I'd like to ask those who can to contribute towards these hard drives.

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:17 pm

I visited this nest today and it looked as though the nest had collapsed. It was very straggly and I don't think it could have supported anyone. :( I did see one almost adult perched nearby but other than that ..... no eagles to be seen.

I met a family on the beach that live nearby and they said that until about a week ago, two eagles had been around a lot. But they had seen them around some trees further back from the beach. And no eagles within the last week. Except for the almost adult I didn't see or hear any eagles while I was there either. They also mentioned that as quite a few people fish in the area, the eagles are very used to picking up fish heads and trimmings from the daily catch :)

So I'm wondering if perhaps the eagles had a different nest this year? Or perhaps the youngster(s) have already fledged? Though that seems pretty early for the Coast? :dunno:

Young adult perched near the nest tree hunting for gulls I think
HWF_Coopers_20200630_2986.jpg
S/he decided to move on as we walked down the beach to the nest....followed by a gull!
HWF_Coopers_20200630_2995.jpg
Left side view of nest
HWF_Coopers_20200630_2980.jpg
Underneath view of nest
HWF_Coopers_20200630_2999.jpg
Right side view of nest
HWF_Coopers_20200630_2997.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:39 pm

I emailed my friend who lives near this nest to see if she had seen any eagles this spring/summer. She hadn't been to the beach in a while but mentioned that her sister who has been visiting since March had been watching the eagles at that spot on the beach . Her sister reported seeing 2 adults and 2 or 3 juveniles in the area and one day saw them feeding on a carcass near the nest at low tide.

So its certainly not conclusive but if Ma and Pa had been around in the territory I'm sure they wouldn't have let other adults or juveniles feed on the beach in their territory. If it was Ma and Pa from this nest they seem to be early fledgers! I will have to make sure I visit earlier next year :)

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:53 pm

2020 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

It's hard to believe that the fluffy little eaglets we first met in April are already flying around - and at least one of them is already half-way up the coast of British Columbia, feasting on salmon at one of the rivers with early salmon runs. The rest will be heading out soon, which will give us a brief window to clean the cameras, check the wiring and do any additional projects near the nests. Only one of our nests is currently sponsored (big thanks to Russ Cmolik for donating a new close-up cam for White Rock!) so we are asking those who enjoy the cams to help us get them ready for next year. We know life this year is different for many of us - but if you can help, we would really appreciate it.

We have some big plans - two new cams for White Rock, replacement domes at Surrey Reserve and Delta 2, and hopefully getting to the bottom of the connectivity issue that keeps taking the South cam at Harrison Mills offline - and there will be some large expenses if we're going to do it all. We'll need a lift to get people up to the cams at White Rock and possibly at Delta, and the tree at Harrison Mills is very tall, requiring a professional climbing team if we are to do any work on the cams themselves.

If we can raise $10,000, we should be able to do the most essential work at most of the nests. And happily some friends of the eagles have pledged to match the first $1250 raised in the next three days - so if you adopt Delta 2, Harrison Mills, Surrey Reserve or White Rock for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500!

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/ - or click the button below)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"

And if this isn't a good time for adopting a nest, you can also make a donation of any amount to the "Eagle Cams/General Repairs" fund or you can make a monthly donation by changing the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly" (the first month's donation is eligible to be matched). Many of the funds have a suggested amount - but that is just a suggestion. The amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate.

You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - and the rate of exchange right now is favorable to those of us in the United States - a donation of $250 Canadian dollars is currently less than $200 US dollars, so if you give $250 through CanadaHelps (or PayPal), HWF gets $250 Canadian dollars, and the cost to you is based on the current rate of exchange.

You can also use the other methods on the Donations page, but it's not as easy to provide all the information, so if you're sending a check or planning to give a donation directly to someone at HWF, please let me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) know a donation is coming so it gets included in the matching drive.

And if you have any questions about any of this, please do contact me or gemini and we'll be happy to help.

Thank You!

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:10 pm

2020/2021 season starts here

:luck: :luck: :luck:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:26 pm

I visited last Sat (May 29) and initially was disappointed as the nest looked pretty rough, collapsed over on one side and I thought that no-one could possibly be using it! Well I was very wrong! I was just about to leave when I saw 2 spindly little fluffy grey wings stretching up and just a glimpse of a fluffy grey head. A few moments later an adult flew into the nest and sat watching the little one. I was on the other side of the nest from the direction she flew in so I don't know if she brought food. But if she did she didn't feed the eaglet while I was there. But good news that we have at least 1 eaglet here! :D

Pics to follow

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:07 pm

I recently heard from Sandra of an eaglet that had fallen from a nest in Coopers Green. :( Luckily the eaglet was rescued and s/he is now recovering at OWL .

I am trying to find out a bit more information on whether it is this nest, what happened and whether the nest and any other eaglets survived.

I will update here if I find out more info

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:47 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:44 pm

2021/2022 season begins here

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”