Henderson Bald Eagles, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2019-2022 Seasons

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
heatherj
Content Provider

Henderson Bald Eagles, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2019-2022 Seasons

Post by heatherj » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:23 pm

Welcome to the Henderson Nest thread

If you visit the Henderson nest in Roberts Creek you are welcome to post comments and pictures here.

This nest was new to the forum in May 2016 though it has been active for several seasons before that. The nest is on private property but can be viewed from the beach. To view the nest, walk on to the beach from the Henderson & Beach Ave pull-out. Nest is visible to the west over 2nd house on the tree with severely broken top
  • 2015/16 - 1 eaglet Henderson, fledged on or before July 7
  • 2016/17 - 2 eaglets seen. 1 successful fledge on or before July 14. Sadly 1 eaglet was lost sometime in June. It may have been a fall from the nest or predation
  • 2017/18 - Adults seen in and around the nest but no evidence of any eaglets.
  • 2018/19 - One eaglet seen wingercising in nest on Aug 1. Fledge date unknown
  • 2019/20 - No eaglets seen
  • 2020/21 - 1 eaglet seen in the nest, presumed fledged
  • 2021/22 starts here :luck:
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Henderson Bald Eagles, Roberts Creek, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2019/2020 Season

Post by heatherj » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:31 pm

Reserved
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:31 pm

Reserved

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:36 pm

I was able to see one adult perched near this nest tree when I last visited the Olave nest. So at leaat 1 adult is back.

One very long distance pic to follow :)

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:31 pm

Don't forget the Fraser Valley Bald Eagle Festival is this Weekend!

Experience this Natural Phenomenon in 2019

The 24 Annual Festival - November 16-17, 2019

Download a map HERE! And just follow the Scenic 7 Highway - 30 minutes east of Mission, BC to the Harrison River/Harrison Mills, BC

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:51 am

Thank you for continuing this thread Heather!
After a very rainy winter so far I got down to Henderson Beach in the sun after our lunch on Jan 29. The nest looks like a nice new pile of sticks has been added, perhaps not quite placed yet? Looking to the left on climbing down onto the beach I found an eagle pair perched there. Nest is to the right. I've not found our couple perched there before. Ma always preferred a perch tree closer to the nest.
4336.jpg
I'm not sure if this female with the dirty face and head is a new adult or not. If she's new, she presents as big as our Henderson Ma always has. Tail could have some remnant of light brown rimming it.
4343.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:00 pm

Fund Drive for Hard Drives

Good afternoon, everyone! I have just learned that we do not have the hard drives we need to record our cams as we approach little chick time - and we do not have the funds necessary to buy them.

These are the high resolution drives that are connected directly to the cams at the site, making it possible to record high quality videos of events at the nests - and we usually have them up and running before the eggs are laid. As you know, we already have eggs at three of our four nests, and they are likely any day now at the fourth nest - so time is of the essence.

Our tech person Ken is estimating that it will cost about $7000 to buy the high quality, high capacity drives needed for our 9 cams, and while we are keeping up with our regular monthly expenses, we don't have the extra money needed to buy and install the hard drives.

I know this is a hard time financially for many of us, with many businesses closed - but it may also be a time when some of us are staying home and watching the eagles after cancelling planned trips or dinners out - and I'd like to ask those who can to contribute towards these hard drives.

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:28 pm

Back to this nest April 7. Before walking down to the beach I drove along the short part of Beach Rd beyond Henderson. A gentleman working in his front flower bed came closer as I stopped my car to ask him about the nest. We both kept our social distancing. He didn't have much current to share about the nest except that at the end of the road there is a path down to the beach on the opposite side of the nest that the big beach access gives us. I've always wondered if nest activity might be more apparent from that side. Will give it a try next visit.
Ma was in her normal perch tree near the nest tree looking out to sea.
4495.jpg
Did I manage to capture a small bobblehead looking out over the sticks, to our right of centre? Click on photo x2 to enlarge.
4491.jpg

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:01 pm

I stopped by the nest yesterday hoping to see some activity, I couldn't see anything but was invited up closer to the nest by the couple (Lura and her husband) that own the house on the beach where I was standing in front of to view the nest.

As we were walking up the driveway for a better view I thought I could hear an eaglet calling from somewhere.

After waiting a while, I couldn't see any activity or hear anything further so walked back to the house. Lura told me that there were two eaglets this year, at some point they ended up on the ground in the yard of the house the nest tree is in, floundering around ? The eaglets apparently made it up into the trees close to the nest tree. I waited for about 45 mins but didn't hear any further calls though did see an adult fly in and land in the perch tree at the edge of the beach.

Does it seem early for the eaglets to have already fledged and left the nest ? And why would both end up on the ground ?

I think I'm going to go back in a few days and try and locate the eaglets if they are in fact in the trees close by.

Karen H

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:16 am

Oh no. :ohmy: Yes, too early for fledging unless the female is from south of us and the eggs were laid early. Both of them being out of the nest means they were likely scared out, by a racoon, owl. Likely a racoon as the parents would both be defending them and would fight off an owl. Eaglets could have gotten pushed out of the nest during a fight though. Even another eagle wanting to take over the nest could have knocked them out. I would think they would have landed pretty hard at this stage without completely grown wing feathers.
Parents will likely try to feed them. Not sure about their chances of survival. A very sad story to relay for sure. One of the adults could have been taken out as well if there was a nest takeover attempt. :(
Good thing is that they were able to make it up into trees.
Hmm, would a cougar climb as high as a nest for food?

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:14 pm

That's what I thought too Sandra, way too early, but wasn't sure. I seem to remember someone flew a drone over this nest a couple of years ago and shortly after one of the eaglets was found dead on the ground a ways from the nest. Though it wasn't connected at the time I wonder if it was. I hope a drone wasn't flown over the nest again this year, scaring the eaglets out of the nest.

I went back on Saturday to try and find any eaglets in the trees, spent almost an hour there and didn't hear any eaglet or adult calling or see any eaglets in the trees close by. Though it was afternoon and quite windy so maybe if there were eaglets they were hunkered down. I did see an adult perched in a tree a little ways along the beach but not sure if the Henderson couple perch there or if the pair from the next nest down along the beach do.

Karen H

NIK_2253.JPG

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:06 am

I had forgotten about the drone. And then the neighbourhood coyote got the youngster on the ground. I hope it was already dead. At least we know coyotes don't climb trees. Do they? :roll:
Thanks for looking around. :hug:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:20 am

Worrying news from this nest Karen. Fingers crossed that everything works out at this nest. Thank you for the updates

That tree looks like the other side of the tree that I see from the Olave nest and if it is, thats definitely Henderson territory so would be a Henderson eagle for sure. If the adults are sticking close to the nest maybe the eaglets are still there too. :luck:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:12 pm

Thanks for the info re the tree Heather, I was hoping you would know if it was in Henderson territory. So, maybe the eaglets are still around.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:10 pm

I don't know what to think, I stopped by the Henderson nest again today hoping to hear or see an eaglet (or two) but didn't see or hear any eagle activity at all while I was there.

But when walking along the beach noticed a large number of feathers scattered within a few feet of each other in-between the creek that runs onto the beach and the cement wall, almost parallel to the nest tree. To me they appear to be eagle feathers as they are definitely not crow or raven. I couldn't find any remains or see any white feathers but wonder if they were from an eaglet ? I collected some of the feathers and put them close to each other for a picture. Any other thoughts ?

Karen H

NIK_2788.JPG

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”