Browning Rd/Paul Beach Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast BC - 2019-2022 seasons

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Browning Rd/Paul Beach Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast BC - 2019/2021 seasons

Post by heatherj » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:48 pm

I visited on Jan 28 and saw 1 adult sitting at the top of the tree but no sign of a second adult.

The nest still looked quite beaten up so not sure if they had started their repairs. I am planning to visit again soon :)
HWF_Browning_20210128_1450.jpg
HWF_Browning_20210128_1440.jpg
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:43 pm

I visited last Saturday (Mar 27) and was there when an adult brought a stick into the nest. In fact the adult broke the stick off a tree right over my head which gave me quite a surprise. The adult, I think Pa, delivered the stick to the nest where it was arranged by Ma who was already in the nest. So looking good for breeding this season. :) I have some pics that I will add as soon as I have uploaded them.

This seems quite late to me for them to be finishing the nest as this pair are usually some of the earliest to breed on the Coast. So just a theory that maybe one of the adults is new to the pair? I'm not sure how long it takes for a lone adult to decide that their usual mate is not returning and then decides to pick another.
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:04 pm

I visited on Sat (Apr 10) and could just see the very top of an adults head in the nest so they appear to be incubating! :)

After last seasons nest collapse the rebuild has been a bit more towards the beach side so it may not be as easy to see into the nest this year.

From further down the beach I did see one more adult flying up and down the bay

Pics to follow.

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:55 pm

I visited on May 8 and saw one adult in the nest and the other further down the beach on a favourite perch tree. No eaglets visible or audible in the nest but with both adults around, hopefully they have at least 1 little fluffy eaglet! :luck:

Pics to follow

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:29 pm

I visited yesterday (June 10) and saw one and maybe even 2 brown heads peeking over the top of the nest. No adults visible when I arrived but a juvenile flew over and suddenly both adults appeared flying in from opposite directions. They steered they juvenile away and then one adult stayed perched at the top of the nest tree in case the juvenile decided to make another appearance.

I met the other adult perched on a favourite tree at the other end of the beach as I was on my way to the Olave nest. No hunting activity while I was around but fingers crossed he found lots of fish later :luck:

Pics to follow

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:40 pm

I visited yesterday (July 6) and saw 2 big, beautiful eaglets sitting up enjoying the view. :D It looked as though the bigger one was just finishing up eating. The smaller was sitting at the back of the nest perhaps waiting to scoop up any leftovers

Pics to follow.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:37 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:23 pm

I visited on Aug 5 and saw 1 big healthy looking eaglet sitting in the nest. S/he was very vocal and was flapping around quite a lot, hopping between the nest and the surrounding branches. Earlier from the far end of the beach I had seen an adult scooping up a fish and disappearing around the corner in the direction of the nest so the eaglet was still being fed. :)

Fingers crossed that the other eaglet had already fledged and was off somewhere with the other adult learning how to be an eagle!

Pics to follow

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Browning Rd/Paul Beach Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast BC - 2019/2022 seasons

Post by heatherj » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:53 pm

2021/2022 season begins here

:luck: :luck: :luck:

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Browning Rd/Paul Beach Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast BC - 2019/2022 seasons

Post by heatherj » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:01 pm

I visited the nest on Oct 13 and saw no eagle activity at or near the nest.

While there I noticed that the property next to the beach trail has had some trees cleared on the top half of the property perhaps to prepare a construction lot close to the road? The nest tree is on the next lot away from the trail so this is quite a way from the nest tree but it is possible any future construction noise may disturb the pair in the upcoming season. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen :luck:

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Browning Rd/Paul Beach Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast BC - 2019-2022 seasons

Post by heatherj » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:25 pm

I visited today and saw 1 adult sitting next to the nest! :) And maybe a few new sticks on the nest but thats hard to say for sure?

Then when I got to the other end of the beach I looked back and in the distance I could see 1 adult perched high on the trees near the nest. I can't say if it was the same or a different adult but definitely 1 adult back here, maybe 2! :clap:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:59 pm

I visited the Olave nest today and looking back towards this territory saw 2 adults perched on the line of trees near the nest tree.

This is the first time this season that I have seen 2 adults in this territory so glad to know that both Ma and Pa appear to be back safely! :clap: I wish them luck this nesting season :luck:

HWF_Browning_20211219_7462.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:22 pm

Catching up on some old observations for this pair! :)

I visited on Feb 20 and saw 1 adult in the area
HWF_Browning_20220220_0896.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:25 pm

I visited on Mar 31 and could just see a white head sticking over the top of the nest so looked like someone may have been sitting on eggs or youngsters
HWF_Browning_20220331_2787.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:33 pm

I visited several times after my Mar 31 visit and saw no further activity on this nest so I can only assume that the eggs or eaglets didn't make it :(

I have recently moved away from the Sunshine Coast so will no longer be able to report on this nest. :( This nest has been in use for a long time, at least 50 years and I hope it will remain active for many more years. :luck: The nest is visible from the trail to the beach so if anyone happens to be in the area, it would be great to find out how they are doing! Good luck to Ma and Pa for this and future seasons! :rh:

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”