Camp Olave Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast BC - 2019-2022 seasons

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Camp Olave Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast BC - 2019/2021 seasons

Post by heatherj » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:02 pm

2021/2022 season begins here

:luck: :luck: :luck:
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Camp Olave Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast BC - 2019/2022 seasons

Post by heatherj » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:07 pm

I visited the nest on Oct 13 and saw 1 adult eagle in a favourite perch tree, possibly Pa? :eagle: :)

The nest tree is still empty so no construction activity on the rebuild yet
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Camp Olave Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast BC - 2019-2022 seasons

Post by heatherj » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:30 pm

I visited today and saw 1 adult, I think Ma, right in the nest tree with a few sticks so I think rebuilding has started. :clap:

Then a few minutes later she flew over to their favourite perch tree closely followed by Pa. Both perched next to each other for some time, looking around and preening seemingly enjoying the sunshine together. A juvenile flew a bit to close and both adults started to call out to tell the juvie to move on quickly! :D

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:56 pm

I visited the nest today and one adult was perched near the nest keeping a close eye on the various ducks in the bay.

The nest looks to be fully rebuilt now with quite a tumble of sticks. :clap: Lets hope it makes it through the nesting season this time. :luck:
HWF_Olave_20211219_7769.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:43 pm

Catching up on some old observations for this pair! :)

I visited on Feb 20 and saw an adult and a juvenile in the area. They spent some time circling together so perhaps a juvenile from a previous season
HWF_Olave_20220220_0835.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:45 pm

I visited on Mar 31 and saw an adult sitting in the nest so possibly they have eggs or eaglets :)
HWF_Olave_20220331_2856.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:08 am

I visited a few times after my Mar 31 visit and saw 1 eaglet until late June which was my last visit. Pics to follow. Fingers crossed for a successful fledge :luck:

I have recently moved away from the Sunshine Coast so will no longer be able to report on this nest. :( I have really enjoyed following this pair and have learnt so much about eagles from watching them. Many of my most exciting eagle encounters have been with this pair and their eaglets. I wish them all well in the future :rh:

I have viewed this nest from the beach which requires a 20min walk over rocks, logs and pebbles but the nest is visible from within the grounds of Camp Olave which has road access. I have chatted with the caretakers at the camp a few times and they seemed very interested in following the eagles so I'm pretty sure they would be open to someone driving in to check out the eagles from time to time. :)

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”