Field Rd Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2019-2022 seasons

To store all archived 'Nests in BC - with Ground Observers' topics
heatherj
Content Provider

Re: Field Rd Bald Eagles, Sunshine Coast, BC - 2019/2021 season

Post by heatherj » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:32 pm

Thanks Sandra! :) :luck:

On Jan 10 there was quite the interaction between Ma and Pa and another couple that seemed to be interested in the nest and territory. Lots of swirling, whirling and shouting between all 4 adults. I saw some pretty heated exchanges with even a couple of talon face-offs. But Ma and Pa saw off the intruders eventually. A juvenile was in the mix too though I'm not sure if s/he was just passing or actually trying to help! :) S/he was missing some pretty big tail feathers!

I managed a few pics though sadly not of the talon face-off :(

One of the intruders - a new adult I think
HWF_Field_20210112_1095.jpg
Pa watching from a tree near the nest
HWF_Field_20210112_1098.jpg
Ma watching from lower down in the same tree
HWF_Field_20210112_1121.jpg
Pa heads off to chase away the intruders
HWF_Field_20210112_1136.jpg
A slightly ragged juvenile who I think just happens to be passing!
HWF_Field_20210112_1092.jpg
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:42 am

That would be observed with some very mixed emotions. Quite an event to witness. :w00t:
Wonder what happened to Jr's tail feathers? :rh:
Looking forward to what photos you could capture.

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:18 pm

More activity later in Jan. It seems Ma and Pa have chosen the same nest this year as last year. Lots of activity around that tree in late Jan/early Feb

Ma and Pa enjoying some midday sunshine on Jan 14
HWF_Field_20210114_1155.jpg
On Jan 29, an adult returns to the nest with what looks like a big fish tail....
HWF_Field_20210129_1694.jpg
.... closely followed by a sub adult
HWF_Field_20210129_1706.jpg
Later on Jan 29, Ma and Pa checking out the nest
HWF_Field_20210129_1715.jpg
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:22 pm

In Feb, still some disagreements with other eagles but generally pretty quiet. Ma and Pa spending lots of time near the nest

Ma and Pa enjoying a shady spot next to the nest on Feb 6
HWF_Field_20210206_1965.jpg
An adult soaring in the sunshine on Feb 2
HWF_Field_20210202_1846.jpg
An adult cleaning a dirty bill on Feb 7
HWF_Field_20210207_2060.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:24 pm

So far in March I've seen mating a couple of times and lots of visits to the nest. Not sure if there is an egg yet but it can't be too far away. :)

I have some pics and will post once I have uploaded them

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:47 am

It all sounds very positive Heather! Thanks for the update! :thumlft:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:35 am

All seems to be going well so far this month. Definitely some nest sitting over the last few weeks and this morning I saw an adult standing in the nest but crouched over.....perhaps feeding a youngster??? :dunno: The other adult was perched in a nearby tree preening........ perhaps after a food delivery??? :dunno: Just theories right now but it would be about the right time for babies to be hatched. :luck:

There has been a lot of activity around the nest this month. Early in April a second pair of adults spent a few days intermittently hassling Ma and Pa. And this last week a juvenile and a young adult were also hanging around. Lots of high speed air chases, loud calling from around the nest tree and lots of flapping wing noises in the trees for all those encounters. But the pair seemed to shoo off both sets of intruders. :clap:

I have some pics and will post as soon as have uploaded them

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun May 16, 2021 9:32 pm

All seems to be going well so far this month. I have seen some food drops and 2 fuzzy heads so looks like we have 2 eaglets in the nest! :woohoo:

Fingers crossed both make it through to fledging. I saw 2 fuzzy eaglets last season but only 1 fledged so I'm hoping both fledge this season. :luck:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:29 pm

Both eaglets still doing well. :D I got a good view of them a few days ago and they looked pretty close in size so fingers crossed that they can both hold their own when competing for food. Some years the eaglets are quite noisy but this year I barely hear them at all - hopefully that means that they are well fed and not having to shout for food. :clap:

Pics to follow

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:33 pm

The last few days I have seen only been seeing 1 eaglet. I hope I'm just seeing them one at a time and the other is sleeping peacefully on the other side of the nest - fingers crossed! They both looked big and healthy last time I saw 2 at the same time.

And today was the first time I saw an eaglet wingercising! :clap:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:09 pm

This evening I saw 2 big eaglets in the nest, 1 was wingercising and 1 was sitting on a nearby branch watching! So it seems both eaglets have been doing just fine all along! :) I have been hearing some begging calls but also lots of time with no calling so I think the eaglets are getting enough food, just getting very demanding .

Pics to follow

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:30 pm

Thanks Heather! So glad you've got 2. Looking froward to pics! :thumlft:

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:54 pm

Thanks Sandra! I was beginning to worry as I hadn't seen 2 for a while. It would be a first for them to have 2 successful, unaided fledges! :luck:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:37 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:17 pm

Ma and Pa have successfully fledged 2 eaglets! :clap: First time for 2 unaided fledges since I have been watching.

For the last couple of weeks I have been hearing eaglets calling from various trees around the area. About a week ago I saw an eaglet flying off in a very straight line to the south. I was imagining the eaglet thinking "OK, so I can fly in a straight line, but now how do I turn!?!?!" :D Then today I saw 1 slightly wobbly eaglet flying circles above the nest tree while another was calling from a nearby tree. Big congrats to Ma and Pa for a successful year and good wishes to the eaglets for a long and happ ylife! :heart:

Return to “Archive - Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”