Kinnikinnick Park Eagle nest, W Sechelt BC, on the Sunshine Coast, Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

stim
Content Provider

Kinnikinnick Park Eagle nest, W Sechelt BC, on the Sunshine Coast, Seasons 2020-2024

Post by stim » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Welcome to this eagle nest thread! The nest is located in upper west Sechelt on the trail system in Kinnikinnick Park. It can be spotted with difficulty from the trail near the felled "Eagle Tree" stump entrance or from the parking area there where Sandpiper Rd. meets Heritage Rd.
It is away from a water source in more of an agricultural/new development type area.
We have known about this nest for many years. Marg showed it to me in 2010. She and Earl found it 1 or 2 years before that. However we could never actually confirm viability. In 2017 Aspen, another HWF member told us it was being used.
It has proven to be a popular soaring spot for eagles high atop a hill overlooking Sechelt Inlet. It's a long way to carry a fish to the nest though!
The tree has taken a beating through the years. In 2017 we saw an eagle in the nest a couple of times in May with the other perched on trees that have been used as perch trees through the years.
However in early June 2017 Aspen discovered that the top of the tree had broken off and taken the nest with it. I went a couple of times looking under the nest but could find no sign of a grounded eaglet.
Looking for a new nest in 2018 we found one in the same tree on a sturdy branch coming out from the trunk. This nest was used successfully in 2019.

2008 ?
2009 ?
2010 no eaglets seen
2011 No eaglets seen
2012 Ma & Pa spotted in trees near the nest July .
2013 Eagles were seen November 21 and in December. Nov 21st I was told by a neighbour that they were building a new nest close to the old one. No nest located.
2014 Not used
2015 "
2016 "
2017 Nest being used but fell early June. No sign of a grounded eaglet a few days later.
2018 A feeding was seen occurring in May, 1 eaglet could be heard but after that no sign of eagle activity, sadly.
2019 Karen saw an eaglet in the nest and then who appeared to be a newly fledged eaglet in trees in the immediate area of the nest tree in July. We determine that we finally have a documented fledge here.
2020 The nest disappeared and we were unable to find its replacement. Karen saw an adult perched near the old nest tree. That's the best we can offer this year.

2023-2024 Season Discussion begins here
2022-2023 Season Discussion begins here
2021-2022 Season Discussion begins here
2020-2021 Season Discussion begins here

stim
Content Provider

Re: Kinnikinnick Park Eagle nest, W Sechelt BC, on the Sunshine Coast, 2019-2020

Post by stim » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Reserved

stim
Content Provider

Re: Kinnikinnick Park Eagle nest, W Sechelt BC, on the Sunshine Coast, 2019-2020

Post by stim » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Reserved

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:40 pm

Thank you for opening this thread Sandra! I've stopped by the nest a couple of times this month and each time have seen some eagle activity near the nest so hoping that is a good sign. The first visit was on January 1st and there was a young eagle perched very close to the nest tree, fingers crossed that this was the youngster that fledged last year. Then when I stopped by on January 25th there was one adult in the perch tree at the end of the road and another adult in a tree very close to the nest tree, which seemed to be a promising sign also.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

008-1.jpg
Young eagle perched very close to the nest tree
NIK_4161-1.jpg
NIK_4168-1.jpg
Not sure what this adult was looking down at but a short time later some people came out of the trail so maybe that was what caught his/her attention

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:44 pm

You got some nice shots Karen. The youngster to me looks to be turning 5 this spring. Beak is yellow, head and tail seem to be whitening. Could be one from this nest though, one we didn't know about. Thank you for checking in here with your promising report! :thumlft:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:00 pm

Thanks for the info on age Sandra, I'm never sure. Hopefully was a youngster from this nest that we didn't know about.

I've stopped by a couple of times since January but haven't seen any activity at the nest tree or in the area, on March 17th though I did see an adult perched at the corner of Heritage and Sandpiper, where they have been seen perched before. I walked into Kinnikinnick Park and took a few pictures of the nest tree and also some from Sandpiper, but can't see a nest ? I can't find the 2019 thread so can't compare the tree to last year, and know the nest was hard to see anyways, but going by the picture from a few days ago it doesn't look they are using the same tree this year. I could be wrong, and it's just not in view from the angles I took the pictures from.

Karen H

NIK_6723-1.jpg
NIK_6730-1.jpg
Taken from inside the park
NIK_6736-1.jpg
Taken from Sandpiper road

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:03 am

Yes, the nest has always been difficult to find here. The tree is a lovely old Douglas Fir (?) that lost its top with nest and eaglet in 2017. They rebuilt in the same tree.
I have such a long list of nests I want to visit and this is one, on a nice day as soon as I'm out of self quarantine with a nasty bronchial thing going on.
Isn't it great to have a passion like this which allows us to get out and about without running into the crowds very often?

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:11 pm

Fund Drive for Hard Drives

Good afternoon, everyone! I have just learned that we do not have the hard drives we need to record our cams as we approach little chick time - and we do not have the funds necessary to buy them.

These are the high resolution drives that are connected directly to the cams at the site, making it possible to record high quality videos of events at the nests - and we usually have them up and running before the eggs are laid. As you know, we already have eggs at three of our four nests, and they are likely any day now at the fourth nest - so time is of the essence.

Our tech person Ken is estimating that it will cost about $7000 to buy the high quality, high capacity drives needed for our 9 cams, and while we are keeping up with our regular monthly expenses, we don't have the extra money needed to buy and install the hard drives.

I know this is a hard time financially for many of us, with many businesses closed - but it may also be a time when some of us are staying home and watching the eagles after cancelling planned trips or dinners out - and I'd like to ask those who can to contribute towards these hard drives.

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:39 pm

I finally got back to this nest April 7. You were right Karen, the nest is gone. I didn't hear any calling, didn't see any eagles. I drove up Heritage Rd. to look back at the stand of trees, couldn't find a nest. I drove back down and beside the treed area to the end without finding a nest. I did find a Lavender Farm though! :w00t: I Know someone who has a cousin who lives up there. I'm trying to find out if she can share any information with us.
4448.jpg

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:46 pm

Oh good, I'm glad you couldn't see the nest either. Not good that it's not there though. Where did they build ? I was by the area yesterday and though I couldn't see a nest I did see an immature eagle perched in one of the trees close to the 'old' nest tree who flew off when I parked, and an adult perched in the perch tree at the end of the road.

So I'm thinking that it's possible that they've built a new nest in the park somewhere, but where. Might have to wait until someone see's one of the adults flying into the nest or when / if they have youngsters we hear them calling and can track down where the nest is from the calls.

Glad you found the Lavender Farm! I've driven down that road a few times while I'm in the area but it's always closed, maybe they are only open a few months of the year ?

Karen H

NIK_8236-1.jpg
Immature eagle that was perched in a tree close to the 'old' nest tree
NIK_8238-1.jpg
Adult in perch tree at the end of Sandpiper Road

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:18 am

Finding an adult in the original perch tree is promising but not the juvie near the old nest tree. If they are nesting with eggs or youngsters anywhere nearby they should not be tolerating that juvie. It will be interesting to see or perhaps hear what the season unfolds. Great finds, both! :thumlft:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:35 am

Good point about the juvenile being so close, I hadn't thought of that. There wasn't even any attempt by the adult to chase it off or any calling. Hopefully we see or hear something as the season goes on re if they have a new nest somewhere.

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:47 am

When I was there maybe a year or so ago, I spoke to a man who said that the nest was elsewhere so sometimes when you see locals or hikers in the vicinity they may know of a new nest.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

Mushka

Re: Kinnikinnick Park Eagle nest, W Sechelt BC, on the Sunshine Coast, 2020-2021

Post by Mushka » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:56 pm

The 2020-2021 Season begins here

It's been a while, but hoping this year we find where this couple has rebuilt their nest. I was in the area on Thursday, March 18th and while I was on Crowston could see an adult eagle perched in the dead tree at the end of Sandpiper. The eagle then flew into the trees close to where their nest was in 2019. It was overcast, dark and drizzly rain and not much light into the trees so I didn't spend any time looking for a nest. But next time I'm in the area I will definitely have a look. I was also in that area a while ago and spotted two adults perched in the trees at the corner of Heritage and Sandpiper. So, maybe a nest is close by ?

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:42 pm

I'm not 100% certain but think I might have found the new nest today, I was standing on upper side of Sandpiper next to the park talking to a local 'birder' when an eagle started calling. We both looked up and saw an adult perched in a tree near the end of Sandpiper, but that's not where the calling was coming from. As we were standing there I glanced around looking up into the trees and saw what appears to be a nest! It's in another broken topped tree, almost next to the tree where the nest was previously. I couldn't see a head or an adult in the nest but pretty sure it might be the new nest. I've attached a few pictures. If it is, it is quite visible.

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

DSC_4086-1.jpg
DSC_4081-1.jpg
DSC_4083-1.jpg

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”