Marsh Nest, Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast BC - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

stim
Content Provider

Re: Marsh Nest, Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast BC 2019-2021

Post by stim » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:16 pm

I visited this nest last Tuesday. Sitting on the bench across the pond from the nest I was hoping to see some eagle activity. I snapped a few photos of the nest and on working with them, discovered what I see as a white head low in the nest meeting a brown body, mid photo, in the space where the nest sticks meet the tree branch.
Click to enlarge x 2.
Marsh nest.jpg
Meanwhile a very small heron searched for food in the water below the nest. Too small for last year's fledglings. Could we have fledged some already here on the Coast? It's a good small size to carry up into the nest as a meal for the eagles. I watched with very mixed feelings.
Heron at Marsh nest.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:26 pm

Also while I sat on the bench 2 mallards started head bobbing at each other. I suspected mating was involved, didn't expect it to stop and start as soon as it did, missed the action shot! Afterwards he swam low in circles around her. Once done with that, they swam off together. More eventual food for the nest. Ducklings get picked off rather quickly here.
5461.jpg
5462.jpg
5463.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon May 10, 2021 8:56 am

I just got word from Maureen, our neighbour of this nest. Through her telescope this am she spotted 2 eaglets, one at the side of the nest and a second head that popped up! Thank you Maureen! :woohoo:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:25 pm

It's been a while since I've posted, not by choice by computer misbehaving. I'm into catchup mode now I hope!
Last week, June 3 I stopped by for a quick visit to find 1 eaglet upright in the nest. I was there a short few minutes and it disappeared low again. Lucky catch!
5658.jpeg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:28 pm

Back to this nest site June 7, to find Pa eating in the nest and 1 youngster up and visible. Then a second brown body showed up on the other side of Pa. Both eaglets! Pa ate the whole time! Eaglet on our right seemed hungry, cried a bit after Pa flew off. The one on our left was busy wingsercising.
5671.jpg
5674.jpg
Wingsercising by eaglet on the left as Pa continued eating.
5682.jpg
5690.jpg
Pa finally flew to his favourite perch tree, where he can look rather small depending on the angle you are finding him.
5707.jpg
5704.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:46 pm

Got a report last week from our friend who lives across the street from the Marsh. Our youngsters were flying from tree to tree! Yay, double fledge! :woohoo:

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:43 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

gemini
Admin

Re: Marsh Nest, Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast BC 2019-2022

Post by gemini » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:50 am

The 2021-2022 season starts here

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:09 pm

I thank you Sharon for getting last year's thread closed and this year's ready for action. And action I saw on January 9. There appeared to be an eagle chase above me in the parking lot at Independent Jan. 9. Then the first eagle continued flying toward the Strait while the chaser turned around and flew in the direction of the Marsh nest. I'm assuming it was one of our Marsh couple chasing away a possible intruder. :luck:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:19 pm

I finally got to this nest with my camera Feb 16. The nest looks pretty good. No eagles working on it but I could see them across the street soaring around with other eagles. There is another nest over there so I wondered if some territorial dispute was being worked out. Then suddenly a male and female flew to a favourite perch tree area along Wharf St. They posed there for a few minutes, the male looking out over the area they had been in, the female looking like she was checking out the direction that a man holds up fish for them every now and then. They take it right out of his hand.
6152Marshnest2.16.22.jpg
6167MaMarsh2.16.22.jpg
6170Marshcouple2.16.22.jpg
In the water below the nest Mallards were doing what they do this time of year.
Attachments
6173marshmallardsmating2.16.22.jpg

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:34 pm

Today I visited the Marsh for the first time in a while and I'm happy to say that Ma and Pa were very busy in and around the nest. The tree did look a little more open than on my last visit possibly as a result of the nearby tree clearing but that didn't seem to bother Ma and Pa. I saw both adults fly into the nest and both stayed for a while as they rearranged some sticks. They spooked the ducks and pigeons a few times with low passes over the pond so they may have been hunting for a snack while they worked on the nest. :)

Sadly I didn't have my camera with me :(
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:09 pm

I have been to the nest 3 times since my previous posting. Have seen no sign of eagle activity at all. Most unusual for this couple.

stim
Content Provider

Re: Marsh Nest, Sechelt on the Sunshine Coast BC - Seasons 2020-2023

Post by stim » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:23 pm

This post marks the beginning of the 2022-2023 season.

I enjoy sitting on the bench across the pond from the nest and watch all the marsh activity. We’ve followed this nest from one nesting spot to another. Good reliable pair.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:02 pm

I sat in the sun on the bench across the pond from this nest for a good while on March 9 hoping to see some movement within the nest. Nothing. Then both adults flew in from Porpoise Bay direction, landed in the nest. Mom disappeared down deep, Pa remained visible. After about 10 minutes they both flew out of the nest, Pa to his perch tree beside the old nest tree, Ma to her old perch tree at the top of Porpoise Bay. Good to know familiar parents are there. Hopefully we have or will have young deep down in the nest.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:52 pm

Back to the Marsh March 18. No eagles seen, lots of ducks swimming below. After a few minutes Ma and Pa flew in from the top of Porpoise Bay across the road. They landed in a perch tree near the nest tree, stayed for about 10 min then Ma flew back toward PB with Pa following her. I was hoping mating might be going to occur but did not see where nor how they landed.

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”