Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

Mushka

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2020

Post by Mushka » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:14 pm

I stopped by the nest yesterday and it was very noisy, I don't know what happened just before I arrived but both adults were in the nest and started calling and calling, at the same time a Merlin (or maybe two) was chattering constantly. Between the eagles and the Merlin(s) it was very loud. I couldn't see where the Merlin was due to the position of the sun but sounded like it was in the same tree that I saw them flying into not too long ago when they were chasing off crows.

Eventually one of the adults left the nest and flew over to the perch tree, perched for a very short time and then left, still calling. The adult remaining in the nest disappeared from sight but also kept calling. At the same time the Merlins kept up a constant chatter. I couldn't stay long so don't know how long this went on for, but hopefully isn't a sign of things to come if the Merlins are nesting close by again.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

NIK_7839-1.jpg
NIK_7840-1.jpg
NIK_7843-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2020

Post by stim » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:29 am

Great timing with photos Karen! Wow! Some kind of interaction or hopefully just a case of 1 getting too close to the other. I wouldn't want the life of an eagle! ;) Thankfully it sounds like brooding continued.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:10 pm

I got back to the nest site yesterday around 4:00 pm. No sign of eagles, no eagle sounds. What I did notice on the nest was a number of feathers stuck to the sticks. A good sign of prey having been plucked, hopefully to feed youngster(s). :D

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:08 pm

I just caught a glimpse of the back of an adult in the nest when I stopped by briefly on Friday (April 17th), I was able to get a couple of quick pictures before he/she disappeared from sight into the front of the nest. No one in the perch tree but could hear a Merlin chattering away in the distance, though not as loud as I've heard before.

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

NIK_8652-4.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:37 am

I'm always glad when you catch nest behaviour Karen, as I don't seem to be doing so well lately! :D Thank you!

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri May 08, 2020 9:25 am

Just happened to arrive at the nest at the right time on Monday, May 4th to see a shift change. Heard lots of calling as I parked and as soon as I got out of the vehicle saw the adult in the nest calling and stretching their wings, almost immediately he/she flew out of the nest. I then noticed the second adult coming in from the left, they did one pass in a circle with each other both calling out. Then the one that had left the nest briefly stopped in at the perch tree before flying off. At the same time the second adult flew to the nest and almost immediately settled in and out of sight. Then all was quiet.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge.

NIK_0095-1.jpg
Adult in the nest calling
NIK_0096-1.jpg
Then almost immediately leaving the nest
NIK_0099-1.jpg

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri May 08, 2020 9:29 am

A few more pictures from May 4th, this the second adult coming into the nest, settling in and then disappearing from sight.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge.

NIK_0105-1.jpg
NIK_0106-1.jpg
NIK_0109-1.jpg
Having a quick look down into the nest and then almost immediately disappearing from sight

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri May 08, 2020 5:02 pm

Right timing caught some great action! :thumlft:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Tue May 26, 2020 10:19 pm

I haven't been by the nest for a while but decided to swing by today after walking our dog at Bonniebrook. When I arrived was happy to see an adult (pa ?) in the perch tree beside the nest tree and could also see the bobbing up and down of a white head in the nest. Feeding chicks maybe ?

I waited a little while and could see movement in the nest and then the head of one eaglet appeared, and then another ! At least two eaglets in the nest :) The eaglets soon disappeared of out sight, towards the front of the nest and the adult in the nest spent a little time watching me, so I left.

Karen H

NIK_1566-1.jpg
Adult in the nest with one eaglet visible
NIK_1567-1.jpg
Bit hard to see, but top of the adults head and two eaglets visible!
NIK_1557-1.jpg
Adult not really visible in this picture but the two eaglets are

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed May 27, 2020 9:30 am

Well done Karen! You surely are seeing a lot of activity here this year. How good to know 2 eaglets have survived this long with those merlins around. The eagles may have stolen one or some of their eggs, chicks!

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:48 pm

Great updates Karen! Glad to hear that 2 eaglets here seem to be progressing well :)
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:48 pm

When I stopped by the nest yesterday afternoon, all was quiet. There was one adult in the perch tree grooming / preening and the other adult in the nest looking out. Everything seemed very calm and relaxed. I did see some movement in the nest behind the adult, lower down closer to the middle branch, and even a wing stretch appeared for a second, and though I was hoping to see one or both of the eaglets while I was there, they didn't make an appearance.

Karen H

NIK_2634.JPG
Adult looking out from the nest, if you look closely you can just see the top of the head of an eaglet showing just above the nest beside the middle branch.
NIK_2638.JPG

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:59 am

Thanks Karen. Nice to see movement and to share a head top with us! :D

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:34 pm

Thanks Sandra ! I stopped by again today late afternoon and saw one adult in the perch tree, and one rather large eaglet looking out from the nest! :woohoo:

No sign of the second eaglet but it was probably down more towards the front of the nest and out of sight. All was quiet again, no calling from the eaglet(s) so hoping that means they are well fed. Did notice a feather moving around in the breeze caught on a stick in the nest, maybe from a previous meal ?

Karen H

Please click on to the picture to enlarge

NIK_2716.JPG
Eaglet looking out from nest
NIK_2676.JPG
Feather, from ? About half way up on the left hand side of the middle branch of the nest.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:20 am

Wow, what a beauty! So wonderful to see.

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”