Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

stim
Content Provider

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2020

Post by stim » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:44 pm

I finally dropped by this nest on Thursday afternoon, June 25 between about 3:30-4:00. On arrival I found this youngster there to greet me. What a treasure.
4852.jpg
I would have been satisfied just seeing her but in flew a parent, quietly without any fanfare from eaglet(s). It looked like a bit of scrimmaging for position took place and some eating ensued. Again Karen, like well fed youngster(s).
4856.jpg
Youngster's wing pin feathers are obvious in getting repositioned.
4857.jpg
And then there were 3! Not a sound from them the whole time. The second youngster continued eating after its sibling and parent stopped.
4871.jpg

Mushka

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2020

Post by Mushka » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Stopped by the nest last Sunday (June 28th) again and though I didn't see any adults around one of the eaglets was looking out from the nest, a short time later the second eaglet (who looks larger) joined the first one. After a few minutes the first eaglet disappeared back into the nest leaving the second eaglet standing looking out then it too went back into the nest and disappeared from sight.

It never ceases to amaze me how such large birds can just disappear back into the nest and out of sight.

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

NIK_3367-1.jpg
First eaglet
NIK_3379-1.jpg
Both together looking out, no calling they just looked like they were waiting for a parent to come back
NIK_3389-1.jpg
Second eaglet, who looks larger but might just be how he/she was standing on the side of the nest

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:19 am

The white chest marking on the bigger eaglet will help id them now. :thumlft:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:00 pm

You're right it will make them easier to tell the two apart, I hadn't thought of that.

No idea how I didn't see your post on the 29th from your June 25th visit Sandra. What a great collection of pictures of all three in the nest at once, I'm surprised they all fit :)

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:27 pm

Stopped by the nest again on Thursday (July 9th), at first all I could see was an adult in the perch tree, then a few minutes later the second adult flew in and landed in the perch tree. I guess the chatter between the two woke up the two youngsters because they appeared shortly after. No calling, just quietly looked out towards the perch tree and their parents then spent some time jumping back and forth across the nest, doing some wing exercises and jumping up and down in one spot, one eaglet at a time. And then they disappeared back into the nest and out of sight. I really thought one was going to attempt a short flight, but not this time.

Karen H

NIK_4186.JPG
Looking out towards their parents
NIK_4182.JPG
NIK_4196.JPG

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:04 am

Thanks for this Karen. I'm hoping to get down there today, was afraid they had left the nest by now. Look at all that white under the wingspan!

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:49 am

I dropped down to the nest around 4:00 July 13. An adult was firmly perched in the perch tree to our left of the nest tree with only 1 eaglet visible in the nest to greet me.
4973.jpg
4974.jpg

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:54 pm

A quick check in at the nest yesterday (Friday, July 17th) saw no adults around but both eaglets were visible. One more so than the other, the one on the right only came into view after I walked back up the road a ways and looked back at the nest. All was quiet, no calling. I couldn't stay long so left after a few minutes.

Karen H

NIK_4711-1.jpg
NIK_4717-1.jpg

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:10 pm

2020 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

It's hard to believe that the fluffy little eaglets we first met in April are already flying around - and at least one of them is already half-way up the coast of British Columbia, feasting on salmon at one of the rivers with early salmon runs. The rest will be heading out soon, which will give us a brief window to clean the cameras, check the wiring and do any additional projects near the nests. Only one of our nests is currently sponsored (big thanks to Russ Cmolik for donating a new close-up cam for White Rock!) so we are asking those who enjoy the cams to help us get them ready for next year. We know life this year is different for many of us - but if you can help, we would really appreciate it.

We have some big plans - two new cams for White Rock, replacement domes at Surrey Reserve and Delta 2, and hopefully getting to the bottom of the connectivity issue that keeps taking the South cam at Harrison Mills offline - and there will be some large expenses if we're going to do it all. We'll need a lift to get people up to the cams at White Rock and possibly at Delta, and the tree at Harrison Mills is very tall, requiring a professional climbing team if we are to do any work on the cams themselves.

If we can raise $10,000, we should be able to do the most essential work at most of the nests. And happily some friends of the eagles have pledged to match the first $1250 raised in the next three days - so if you adopt Delta 2, Harrison Mills, Surrey Reserve or White Rock for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500!

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/ - or click the button below)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"

And if this isn't a good time for adopting a nest, you can also make a donation of any amount to the "Eagle Cams/General Repairs" fund or you can make a monthly donation by changing the highlighted box at the top of the page from "Donate Now" to "Donate Monthly" (the first month's donation is eligible to be matched). Many of the funds have a suggested amount - but that is just a suggestion. The amount you put in the Amount box is what you'll donate.

You don't need to be in Canada to use CanadaHelps - and the rate of exchange right now is favorable to those of us in the United States - a donation of $250 Canadian dollars is currently less than $200 US dollars, so if you give $250 through CanadaHelps (or PayPal), HWF gets $250 Canadian dollars, and the cost to you is based on the current rate of exchange.

You can also use the other methods on the Donations page, but it's not as easy to provide all the information, so if you're sending a check or planning to give a donation directly to someone at HWF, please let me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) know a donation is coming so it gets included in the matching drive.

And if you have any questions about any of this, please do contact me or gemini and we'll be happy to help.

Thank You!

stim
Content Provider

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2021

Post by stim » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:52 pm

BEGINNING OF SEASON 2020-2021

We are assuming both our lovely eaglets from last summer successfully fledged. This can be the beginning of our new season.

Mushka

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2021

Post by Mushka » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:41 pm

I've stopped by the nest a couple of times this year but hadn't seen any eagle activity, but then on March 11th when I stopped by there was one adult watching me from the nest :-)

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

DSC_2710-1.jpg
Being watched from the nest :-)

marg
Content Provider

Post by marg » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:51 pm

Great picture of the eagle Mushka.
Sunshinecoast Marg
Member since 2006

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:02 pm

Hi again Marg! :bye 1: :D Looks like Ma to me. Too high in the nest to be sitting on eggs but definitely encouraging! Thanks Karen!

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:39 pm

Do either of you know how I can change Mushka to Karen ? When I first joined the page I didn't realize that Mushka was the name that would show up when I posted but can't figure out how to change it.

Karen

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun May 23, 2021 9:40 pm

Have stopped by the nest a few times since March 11th but it's been pretty quiet when I have, did see an adult peeking out from the nest one time and then today (May 23rd) when I stopped by there was an adult either feeding or eating and that was the extent of any activity while I was there :-)

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

DSC_9499-1.jpg

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”