Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

Mushka

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2023

Post by Mushka » Fri May 26, 2023 8:55 pm

Two more pictures from the May 21st visit

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

DSC_4704-2.JPG
Appearing to be eating something that was already in the nest
DSC_4714-2.JPG
All settled in with just her head appearing above the nest

stim
Content Provider

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2023

Post by stim » Sat May 27, 2023 9:11 am

Most encouraging Karen! :woohoo: :thumlft: Is the road down to the nest any kinder to vehicles than it was earlier in the season?

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri Jun 02, 2023 9:07 pm

Exciting visit to the nest this morning, first saw an adult (Pa ?) in the perch tree. Good news. He then flew off briefly but came back to the perch tree. A short time later the second adult (Ma ?) flew in and while I was tracking her with my camera noticed a fuzzy brown head looking up at her from the nest :-)

Finally an eaglet in view :woohoo:

The eaglet was only in view for a few seconds, looking up at his/her mom, then a little stretch of the wings, before disappearing from view again. After a few minutes Ma joined Pa on the perch tree, but almost immediately he flew off leaving her to guard the nest.

I waited for a while hoping that the eaglet would come into view again, but no luck. But was pretty darn happy to see him/her make an appearance if only for a short while.

Sorry Sandra, the road is not any better. The majority of forestry roads we drive on are in better shape and smoother to drive on than Larson Road.

Karen H

DSC_5358-2.JPG
Eaglet looking up at mom as she arrives back at the nest
DSC_5372-1.JPG
A little wing stretch before disappearing from view
DSC_5391-1.JPG
Hanging out on the perch tree together, for a short while

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:05 am

Oh Karen, I'm so pleased you spotted a youngster. :w00t: Hoping it remains well and fledges! I'm not giving up on 2 of them yet!
Thank you for this!
I'm sure the residents are trying to get some grading done through the Town. They certainly deserve a better road than they have!

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Wed Jun 07, 2023 11:29 am

FLEDGEFEST 2023   

HANCOCK POTLUCK AND OPEN HOUSE
July 15 Sat:    10am to 5pm 

At the Hancock Residence, 19313 Zero Avenue, Surrey, BC
&
A selection of White Rock Eagle nests

For further details please click HERE

RSVP BY JULY 1, 2023

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:26 pm

Finally got back to the nest yesterday, had been a while so wasn't sure what to expect. As I parked I could see a large eaglet looking out from the nest. Yay! Finally after a couple of years with no eaglets there was a nice healthy looking eaglet in the nest. Looking almost ready to fledge. While I was taking some photos, in flew an adult, who landed on the perch tree.

Meanwhile an eaglet started calling, so looked up at the eaglet in the nest, nope not coming from there. Humm. Heard an eaglet calling again. Could not figure out where the call was coming from but then saw movement further down the nest tree, on the water side, and realized the movement was flapping of wings behind the greenery. There was a second eaglet, who had fledged but is somehow about 30-40 ft below the nest ? Still quite a ways up from the ground though. I couldn't get a clear picture because of where the eaglet is, behind the tree, but could definitely hear him/her and see wings flapping. I waited for about 20 mins hoping the eaglet would fly to the perch tree which is close by or even just come into view, but no luck. I've tried going down on the beach to see the nest before and because of the trees you can't see the nest so didn't go that route. The eaglet didn't call constantly so hoping all is well and he/she just needs to get to a better perch. Will hopefully be able to get back there tomorrow.

Karen H

DSC_9013-1sml.JPG
Eaglet looking out from the nest
DSC_9009-1sml.JPG
Adult in the perch tree
DSC_9011-1sml.JPG
The second eaglet is behind the left hand side of where the tree splits but a bit further up
Last edited by Mushka on Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:01 am

Wow Karen! Welcome back! I'm so glad you caught all this. My camera is not happy, needs fixing so even if car would wish to tackle rutted road down to the nest, I'd have no photos to offer. :(
That looks to me like one big healthy eaglet. Look at the size of the beak!
Hopefully the one below can fly, even hop flap back into the nest!

gemini
Admin

Post by gemini » Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:27 pm

2023 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

It's that time of year - Vic at the White Rock nest fledged on July 12, and sibling Uni waited almost a week before fledging on July 18. Lof from Surrey Reserve is a week or so younger, and is beginning to get some height while flapping - I think it won't be long before we see her (or maybe him) trying out some of the branches! We know there's a chick at the Delta nest on the electrical tower, but without a cam, are not sure how close he or she is to fledging. We did lose an eaglet this year - brave, feisty Tyr from Surrey Reserve had some health and mobility issues but seemed to be doing okay although growing more slowly than most until suddenly he wasn't; I'll be adopting the Surrey nest for next year in memory of Tyr. :rh:

As I watch Lof moving around on the nest with wings held wide, I realize it will seem like just a hop, skip and a jump from now - and this year's eaglets will be off on their great adventure - and it will be time for us to get into as many nests as possible to clean the cams and do other needed maintenance.

We need your help so we can be prepared to see what happens next.

The first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

We'll have more details soon, but I know we'd like to have the cams at Surrey Reserve cleaned (which will cost around $1000) and it would be wonderful if we could get a cam at Delta that looks at the nest the eagles are using, as well as continuing to keep an eye on the one we'd like them to use (estimated cost $5-6000). We focused on the cams at White Rock last year, so unless there's an issue, we probably will skip them this year and plan to focus on them next year. There's a chance for a new cam at Harrison Mills, but we think the eagles have moved, so would need to find them or decide to focus on the eagles that fish in the river. And there may be other cams in the works!

If we can raise $7,000, we should be able to do the most essential work at Surrey Reserve and Delta. And with the matching drive, if you adopt Delta 2, Surrey Reserve or White Rock for next year for $250, Hancock Wildlife will get $500! Please note that adopting a nest is a sign of support for that nest, and we'll be using the funds where they are most needed - so please adopt White Rock if it's your favorite nest even though we probably won't need to do maintenance there this year - or adopt Harrison Mills, and we'll add your name there if we manage to get a camera there, or check with you a little later so you can choose to adopt a different nest or one of our tagged eagles with trackers.

The easiest way to adopt a nest is to
  • go to the "Donations" page on our website (https://hancockwildlife.org/donations/ - or click the button below)
  • click the "Donate via CanadaHelps Now!" link
  • enter the amount of your donation ($250 to adopt the nest of your choice for the coming year)
  • pick "Adopt a Nest" from the Fund list
  • use the message box to say which nest (or tagged eagle) you are adopting and how you would like your name to be listed
  • fill in your contact information and credit card details, and
  • click "Complete Donation Now"
We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me or email me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank You!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:22 pm

2023 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive
Update

We have raised over $3,000 already - almost half way to our goal! Thank you all so much!

And another supporter has come forward and pledged to match the next $500 in donations - so if you've been planning to donate, today is a great day to do that!

We already have 12 adoptions (2 each for Delta 2 and Harrison Mills, 3 each for Surrey Reserve and White Rock, one for tagged eagle Loki, and one person has not sent me their choice of nest or tagged eagle yet) - and nest adoptions have traditionally been the core of our fundraising for maintenance on the cams - so if that will work for you, please adopt a nest! Or two! :D

But I know that doesn't work for everyone, so I want to mention another option - we also have a core group who have signed up for monthly donations - and that consistent income helps with things like the cost of this forum, with its 1435 members, 662,126 posts and 1.2 million screenshots and other attachments. Thanks to all of you who post here, our forum has amazing documentation on a whole lot of eagles, not to mention osprey and various other critters - mostly in North America, but some from Europe and even Australia!

We encourage people to use CanadaHelps for monthly donations (actually, it's a great choice for all donations to HWF, and you don't need to be in Canada to use it). For those unfamiliar with CanadaHelps, it's a registered charity in Canada whose mission is to help smaller charities with their fundraising by handling the administrative stuff. If you're in Canada, they provide tax receipts automatically - and it's easier for gemini and me as the ones who track donations because there's a place for people to leave a comment so we know if they have an interest in a particular nest or tagged eagle - or what nest they want to adopt, if that's appropriate. Monthly donations can be cancelled at any time - or increased! :thumlft:

We are grateful to all of you who post observations, screenshots and videos - without you, there would be no forum, and no resource looking into the lives of so many eagles (and other critters) - thank you! And what is that saying about those who do the most being the ones asked to do more - if you can help out by adopting a nest, or signing up for monthly donations, or whatever you're comfortable doing, we would really appreciate it. Thank you for your consideration.

We've tried to answer some of the common questions about donating here - All About Donating - and please feel free to PM me or email me ([email protected]) or gemini ([email protected]) if you have other questions or concerns.

Thank You!

gemini
Admin

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

Post by gemini » Sun Feb 04, 2024 1:55 am

This post marks the beginning of the 2023-2024 season.

Mushka

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

Post by Mushka » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:36 pm

I finally went to Larson Road to check on the nest and hopefully see some activity. What a shock it was when I drove to the bottom of the road, parked and looked at the nest tree to see absolutely no sign of a nest! Nothing. Not even a twig.

There does appear to be a bit of the old nest caught up in some small branches on the left below where the nest was.

While I was there, wondering what the heck happened to the nest I could hear an eagle calling to the left (if standing facing the water) behind the trees. But could not see where the sound was coming from. Then an adult flew by on the road side through the trees, heading away. I could still hear an eagle calling somewhere to the left so drove up and along Gower Point Road, went down Kelly Road, but couldn't see anything. I left with thoughts of going back again. But then realized that maybe I should have gone down Head Road, closer to the stand of trees. Will check that out in case they have moved locations, which if I remember correctly happened a few years ago before they came back to the "old" nest tree. But even then there was still a nest in this tree, not absolutely no sign of a nest ever being there like now.

Karen H

DSC_0405-1.JPG
No sign of a nest, gone

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:47 am

Good for you for daring the drive down Larson Rd! And then the shock of not finding a nest in the nest tree!
You're right, I recall as well the year there was a new female, at least that is what we thought, that they nested in the direction you suspect they are now nesting in. We never did find that nest.
I think it was only 1 year and they returned to the original nest site.
I shall browse the area as well when nest checking along Gower Point Rd.
Thanks again Karen!

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”