Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

stim
Content Provider

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2021

Post by stim » Mon May 24, 2021 9:09 am

Reassuring Karen! Thank you. :D

Mushka

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2021

Post by Mushka » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:13 pm

Stopped by the nest yesterday, it's been very quiet the past few times I have checked in but yesterday as soon as I arrived an adult flew into the perch tree next to the nest tree. And was immediately dive bombed by a crow!

When I checked the nest I couldn't see anything at first but then noticed a white head just visible.

So did see both adults, but no eaglets yet :( It's such a deep nest and sloped to the front so who knows who is hiding in there :)

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

DSC_1161-1.jpg
DSC_1177-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:33 am

Nice timing Karen! Reassurance of some activity happening is always a bonus when visiting a nest. :woohoo:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:25 pm

Have stopped by the nest a few times lately, both in the morning and late afternoon and each time have seen an adult either perched in the tree to the left of the nest tree, or in the nest. But so far, no sign of eaglets. Today Barrie (the fellow who lives on the left at the bottom of the road and watches the nest from his property) came out and was saying that he hasn't seen any signs of any eaglets so far and hasn't heard any calling. He thought it was strange and was wondering if the eggs didn't hatch ? I'm still hoping that if there is at least one eaglet it is staying on the water side of the nest out of sight but will make an appearance at some point.

Karen H

DSC_2204-1.jpg
Adult in the nest this afternoon

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:44 am

I was down there recently and as well found 1 adult in the nest. We can't give up until they do!

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:09 pm

Exactly Sandra! I went back yesterday morning earlyish around 7:45 am and at first only saw an adult in the nest looking out but then saw movement in front of the adult so waited, and waited, to see if the movement was from an eaglet. And it was! Out of the depths of the nest an eaglet appeared, looked out, hopped up onto the side of the nest and then just as quickly disappeared back into the nest out of sight. If I had been even a minute or two later stopping by would not have seen the eaglet. Was very happy to finally see a youngster even if only for a few seconds.

Karen H

DSC_2261-1.jpg
Eaglet finally makes an appearance
DSC_2269-1.jpg
Checking out the side of the nest
DSC_2271-1.jpg
And just as quickly disappears back into the nest leaving the adult in view (watching me)

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:08 am

Great sighting, great photos! Big beak on that big youngster! Looking well fed also. :D

heatherj
Content Provider

Post by heatherj » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:12 pm

Wonderful news! The eaglet looks happy and healthy! :)
What you do makes a difference and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make. Jane Goodall

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:05 pm

Thank you Sandra and Heather! I visited the nest yesterday morning and saw the eaglet and an adult together in the nest just hanging out, watching the world go by i.e. birds, planes.

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

DSC_3362-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:08 am

Nice! My sense is that the beak on the first eagle you spotted is larger than this one. Perhaps just the angle or perhaps.......? :w00t:

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:46 pm

I dropped by this nest last Wed, July 21, to find one head only visible. I was impressed by the size of the beak while I was there.
5831.jpg

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:34 pm

Humm, not sure if there are two eaglets Sandra, so far have only seen one during my visits. But, you never know, a second eaglet has made an appearance late in the season before at this nest.

My visit yesterday morning found one adult in the perch tree to the left and the eaglet quietly looking out from the nest.

Karen H

Please click onto the picture to enlarge

DSC_4889-1.jpg

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:17 pm

2021 Cam Maintenance
Matching Drive

A little over 17 weeks ago, we met Tiku from our Surrey Reserve nest; this is just before he or maybe she made it all the way out of the shell:

And now Tiku and Tucca from Surrey Reserve and Hope and Chase from Delta 2 have all set out to explore the world.

We do still have one young eagle to watch - this is Romeo from our White Rock nest, who hatched 6 weeks later than Tiku:

At 11 weeks, he (or maybe she) is practicing perching on the nest supports and exercising those big wings. Eaglets generally fledge (take their first flight) between 10 and 14 weeks, and it's my guess that will happen in the next week or so.

And you know - I haven't really thought about this before - but our little window to access the nests and clean the cams and do any other necessary work isn't always that much longer than the 35-40 days it takes an egg to hatch. Last year the Surrey Reserve adults didn't leave until August 14 (though they weren't visiting very often after Thor left in mid-July) - and Dad Sur was back on September 26. Different pairs have different schedules - and it can vary from year to year - so it would be great if we could get ready now.

With that in mind....

We will be posting more details about our Adopt-a-Nest program, the new option to adopt one of our eagles with a tracker (details soon), the Monthly Donor program - and the work we need to do on the 10 cameras we now have at five different nests.

The important thing to know is that at least the first $1000 in donations toward our cam maintenance fund drive will be matched by long-time supporters of Hancock Wildlife - so the time to donate is now!

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:58 pm

Really not having a good feeling about the eaglet at this nest, on visits August 10th and 15th (and two in-between that I didn't take pictures) the eaglet appeared to be laying down in the nest. I originally thought this might be due to the heat and time of day I was there.

On follow up visits on August 16th and 17th the eaglet had moved and appeared to be standing (or at least upright) close to the middle branch of the nest, which I thought was a good sign.

But, on August 22nd the eaglet appeared to be still in the same place but lower down in the nest ? Not quite sure as I don't have my large zoom lens right now so can't get a good look, but almost appears slumped over. I haven't heard any calling from the eaglet each visit and no activity from the eaglet either. Does anyone have any thoughts about what might be happening ? I have a sinking feeling the eaglet is very weak or sick :-(

Karen H

Please click onto pictures to enlarge

DSC_5647-1.jpg
August 10th, the eaglet appears to be laying down in the nest
DSC_5966-1.jpg
August 15th, the eaglet again appears to be laying down, at the time thought it might be due to the heat
DSC_5970.jpg
August 15th, adult in the perch tree to the left of the nest tree
Last edited by Mushka on Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:08 pm

A few more pictures to go with the post above. On my August 22nd visit Barry (the fellow who lives at the bottom of the road and can see the nest from his house) was outside so I mentioned that I was getting concerned about the eaglet. He said he hadn't really been paying attention but when I asked if he'd seen any adults around recently he said he had though he didn't think they were as 'noisy' as they usually are when they have young in the nest.

Karen H

DSC_5993-1.jpg
August 16th, the eaglet appears to be upright next to the middle branch of the nest. At the time thought this was a good sign as the eaglet wasn't laying down
DSC_5999-1.jpg
August 17th, again the eaglet appears to be upright next to the middle branch
DSC_6911-1.jpg
August 22nd, the eaglet appears to be lower down in the nest, and still in the same place

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”