Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

This area is for recording observations and photos of eagle nests in BC with Ground Observers.

Moderator: BC Nest CP's

stim
Content Provider

Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast - Seasons 2020-2024

Post by stim » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:05 pm

Welcome to this thread. Please feel free to post any sightings or information you wish to share when you drop by this nest.
The nest tree is located at the bottom of Larson Rd, to the left off Gower Point Rd as you drive west out of Gibsons. It is directly before you at the top of a steep hill down to the Strait.
This is an established nest as discovered by our HWF friend Karen, while talking with the neighbour to our left of the nest tree. They moved into the house there in 2008 at which time the nest was in use. It has been productive every year since except for 2016 when the eagles chose to build in another nest tree after much of their old nest fell. Although we could not see the new nest, we were assured that 1 eaglet was successfully raised there.
They returned to this nest tree for their 2017 season, successfully fledging 1 youngster as far as we know. Karen saw it branching in the tree, then it was gone. At the same time no nest was left, just a small pile of sticks.
We suspect that this territory is one of 3 in a row along the Strait to Chaster Beach.

2017... 1 eaglet seen branching.
2018... nest not used
2019... 2 eaglets safely fledged
2020...2 beautiful eaglets seemed to be doing well at fledge time the last we saw of them, both in the nest

2023-2024 SEASON BEGINS HERE
2022-2023 SEASON BEGINS HERE
2021-2022 SEASON BEGINS HERE
2020-2021 SEASON BEGINS HERE

stim
Content Provider

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2020

Post by stim » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:05 pm

Reserved

stim
Content Provider

Re: Larson Rd nest on the Strait of Georgia, Gibsons BC on the Sunshine Coast 2019-2020

Post by stim » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:09 pm

On visiting this nest Sept 27 I could not see nor hear any eagles. The neighbour to our left of the nest informed me he had not heard them yet, not returned from their fishing holiday north. Possibly by now they are back as they are in the other 2 territories along the Strait here.
This is a picture of the nest as I saw it Sept 27. Looking forward to another successful nesting season here.
3926.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:15 pm

After being housebound by many rainy days this past month I got down to our nest on Jan 29. I was hoping to see our Pa perched in his tree beside the nest tree but he wasn't there. A male eagle had fallen heavily to the ground fairly nearby recently but flew off before he could be examined. Of course we are all hoping he is OK and that he isn't our Pa.
The nest itself shows obvious addition of sticks since my photo taken Sept 27. :woohoo:
4351.jpg

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:47 pm

I've been by the nest a few times lately, hoping to see some activity but most times I haven't seen or heard any eagles while there. During one visit there was an adult soaring over the area, gliding over the nest tree and back towards the house on the right at the bottom of the road. Then another time I could hear an eagle calling repeatedly over to the right but couldn't locate it.

Yesterday while I was driving down the road towards where the nest is visible I could see the shape of an eagle in the perch tree to the left of the nest tree. Finally ! But, when I zoomed in with the camera I realized it wasn't either of the Larson couple but a 4th year (I think) almost adult. It's hard to say if this is the same one I saw perched at the Chaster nest 2 weeks ago because of the angle of the pictures and the lighting when I took them. But, possibly ?

Karen H

Please click onto the pictures to enlarge

NIK_4988-1.jpg
NIK_4985-1.jpg
NIK_4975-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:48 am

Well, we were hoping for Pa in the perch tree. This one looks to be the same age as the one you spotted at Chaster but the head markings look different. Going on 5 or 6? My guess is turning 6 years soon. Would love to see the tail as well. If Pa is missing here and this one is taking over I don't know if they'd have eggs this year.
Soon I'll be able to hoist my camera again and head back down there.
Is any eagle better than no eagle in Pa's perch tree? :chin:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:18 pm

Thanks for the info on the age of the eagle Sandra, I'm never sure. I've stopped by a few more times when I've been in the area and haven't seen any further eagle activity, but today when I stopped by the fellow in the house on the left came out and was telling me that he had seen an eagle at the nest yesterday and this morning one perched in the perch tree to the left. Which is good news, I hope. Would be nice to see who is perching in the tree to the left, hopefully one of the Larson couple.

While I was there I could hear lots of chattering from a Merlin, saw at least one (possibly two Merlins) flying around, landing in the eagle nest tree (higher up), but mainly flying to and landing in a tree to the right and chasing crows away from the area. Will be interesting to see if Merlins are going to be nesting close by, might not be good news for the Larson couple if they are though.

Karen H

NIK_6283-1.jpg
Nest today, I don't think that any more branches have been added lately
NIK_6290-1.jpg
One of the Merlins in close vicinity to the eagle nest tree, chasing away crows and flying back and forther between the nest tree and a tree to the right

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:31 am

I'm glad Barrie came out to speak with you. Our wildlife friend Jack knows him and told me his name. I also have his phone number if we need it. Good that he has seen some activity but the nest really doesn't look much different than in my last photo. Interesting the merlins were around. Good catch! Some nestovers to be had tempting them?
Thank you for the update!

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:11 pm

Still hoping to see some activity at the nest I stopped by again today. Finally, both adults were around! One in the perch tree and one in the nest ! Yay! :woohoo:

Things are looking much better :)

No Merlins chattering away today either, they did nest in the area a few years ago (in the trees on the left) so may be back this year, hopefully not too close to the eagle nest though otherwise they'll be harassing the Larson couple.

Karen H

NIK_6314-1.jpg
NIK_6313-1.jpg

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:23 am

Now these pics are much more encouraging, complete with a mature male! I do hope it is our original Pa Larson! Nest looks ready, they look ready, let the fun begin! :woohoo:
Thanks Karen!

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:51 pm

Beautiful pictures here - thank you, stim and Karen!

Wishing this pair a good season (wishing there is a pair as well - and that is sounding more promising, I think).

:)

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi Judy, it's me, Sandra, Marg's friend on the Sunshine Coast. Thank you for dropping by! We have a good number of nests here that we follow. Karen is a great support and photographer! :hug:

Mushka

Post by Mushka » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:58 pm

Thanks so much Judy and Sandra!

I stopped by the nest on March 17th and at first noticed an adult in the nest, seemingly to be looking out and waiting. For what ?

A few minutes later, the other adult flew in with a stick!

After the stick was placed they just hung out in the nest, so I left. But, great to see the couple at the nest again and adding to it!

But what is really interesting is that when I cropped the picture of the adult bringing the stick in, and zoomed in, I noticed a band. Now I'm wondering if this is new or has there been a banded adult there for a while but we've just never noticed it as the male is usually perched and there is such a small viewing window in-between the trees when they fly into the nest that the band hasn't been captured before ?

Karen H

NIK_6629-1.jpg
The one adult waiting and looking out from the nest when I first arrived
NIK_6637-1.jpg
Second adult flying in with a stick / branch. Showing a band on the right leg!
NIK_6640-1.jpg
Placing the stick

stim
Content Provider

Post by stim » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:08 pm

Once again, marvellous photos Karen! And so good to see this couple prepping for nesting. :woohoo:
I kind of doubt we'll ever know about that band, when it arrived here.

JudyB
Admin

Post by JudyB » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:10 pm

Fund Drive for Hard Drives

Good afternoon, everyone! I have just learned that we do not have the hard drives we need to record our cams as we approach little chick time - and we do not have the funds necessary to buy them.

These are the high resolution drives that are connected directly to the cams at the site, making it possible to record high quality videos of events at the nests - and we usually have them up and running before the eggs are laid. As you know, we already have eggs at three of our four nests, and they are likely any day now at the fourth nest - so time is of the essence.

Our tech person Ken is estimating that it will cost about $7000 to buy the high quality, high capacity drives needed for our 9 cams, and while we are keeping up with our regular monthly expenses, we don't have the extra money needed to buy and install the hard drives.

I know this is a hard time financially for many of us, with many businesses closed - but it may also be a time when some of us are staying home and watching the eagles after cancelling planned trips or dinners out - and I'd like to ask those who can to contribute towards these hard drives.

Details about How to Donate

If you have questions, please contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Thank You!

Return to “Nests in BC - with Ground Observers”